• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K TV for nextgen questions

makaveli60

Came to this topic to look for a recommendation for a new TV

Left because I had no idea how information I need to think about when buying a new TV

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yeah, I suggest you start reading everything from the beginning and also Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem 's tv thread linked in this thread. I felt the same first but now I'm enlightened🙌

Last edited:

Rikkori

Came to this topic to look for a recommendation for a new TV

Left because I had no idea how information I need to think about when buying a new TV

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Honestly if you just want simple recs, it's easy: for LCD, safest bet is Sony. If you also care about HDR, then HX90 or HX95 (because you need it to have local dimming - FALD). If you want OLED, then go LG. And if you don't know about OLED vs LCD, simplest thing is: do you play a lot in a bright room and during day? Then LCD. Mostly at night? Then oled. And maybe go to TV store and see them both in action.

That's it.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Rikkori Rikkori TGO TGO Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem
Guys, you seem knowledgeable about Sony TVs. So about XF90, XG90, XH90... do all screen sizes of a particular model offer the same specs? Same quality of HDR etc.? So If I get the smallest XF90 for example, will the screen be the same quality as the larger XF90s?

Guys, you seem knowledgeable about Sony TVs. So about XF90, XG90, XH90... do all screen sizes of a particular model offer the same specs? Same quality of HDR etc.? So If I get the smallest XF90 for example, will the screen be the same quality as the larger XF90s?

From everything I've read about the 900f the only difference will be how many dimmable zones there are. I just picked up a 65" 900f (XF90) and I am blown away at the quality after coming from a Vizio 2019 P series. The prices of the 900f are fantastic. I got a 65" from Costco for $1398cad with a $100 Costco gift card. I cant think of another tv for that is better for that price.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Not quite. There can be other features at a bigger size, e.g. XG95 has a wide viewing angle filter at 75" & 85". The ratio of # of local dimming zones to screen size might also differ. And there can also be some minor stat differences as well, e.g. the bigger sizes can get brighter.

In the case of the XF90 it's more or less the same across the board, even for the <55" version, afaik.

Yeah, I started reading again from the beginning and seems that my best "budget" option is the one you recommended:
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005B

This seems to have proper HDR with a reasonable price, although much more than I wanted to spend, but this seems to be the best price/value option, isn't it? Only better options would be OLEDs that are even more expensive. Problem is that I worry that this won't be in stock in the Autumn but I don't have the money for it currently.

Remember that this is only a "budget" option because it is a 2018 model, that's how it is so cheap. It is still a premium TV, and was the flagship for a time when it launched. I have had the 2019 Vizio M and P series and now the 900f and I can say without a doubt the 900f is better than those "newer" tvs. And despite the 900f being a 2018 model Sony is still manufacturing them, the date on my tv says it was manufactured May 2020.

If you have any questions about the 900f feel free to ask.

makaveli60

From everything I've read the only difference will be how many dimmable zones there are. I just picked up a 65" 900f (XF90) and I am blown away at the quality after coming from a Vizio 2019 P series. The prices of the 900f are fantastic. I got a 65" from Costco for $1398cad with a $100 Costco gift card. I cant think of another tv for that is better for that price.
Good to hear this, because that TV is my current plan, although in a smaller size. So as I understand the larger the TV-->the more dimmable zones-->the better HDR?

Good to hear this, because that TV is my current plan, although in a smaller size. So as I understand the larger the TV-->the more dimmable zones-->the better HDR?

It wouldn't necessarily mean better hdr at larger sizes, more so that there is a larger surface area to deal with. If the 55" has 50 zones and the 65" has 50 zones there will be a difference in performance so the zones are scaled up according to size.

makaveli60

Remember that this is only a "budget" option because it is a 2018 model, that's how it is so cheap. It is still a premium TV, and was the flagship for a time when it launched. I have had the 2019 Vizio M and P series and now the 900f and I can say without a doubt the 900f is better than those "newer" tvs. And despite the 900f being a 2018 model Sony is still manufacturing them, the date on my tv says it was manufactured May 2020.

If you have any questions about the 900f feel free to ask.
That's good to hear about the 900F, I'm looking forward to it. I was checking Vizio TVs too but they are not available here. Anyway, thanks, it is highly likely I will have other questions too later down the road :)

That's good to hear about the 900F, I'm looking forward to it. I was checking Vizio TVs too but they are not available here. Anyway, thanks, it is highly likely I will have other questions too later down the road :)

The HDR is handled very well on this tv I wouldnt worry about HDR on the 900f. As for Vizio, I have owned Vizio's for years and loved them. Best bang for your buck, haven't had any issues. However I picked up a 2019 M series and it had some gnarly dse and banding. It was very distracting. I returned it and put in a little extra dough and picked up the P series, thinking the higher model will equal better quality...or something?

Oh man the dse and banding was even worse. It was so bad, any flat colors or panning shots on the sky would reveal large splotchy patches and bands from top to bottom. Like a dog linked the inside of the screen or something. I got in contact with Vizio (fantastic customer service btw) and they determined that was a faulty set. They sent put another one that wasn't much better if at all. At that point I was done with the Vizio panel lottery, saw that the 900f had reached a reasonable price point (they were like $2500+cad new!) and thought fuck it Im going Sony. Haven't looked back. The panel uniformity on mine is nearly perfect.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Yeah, I think I decided that it will be a Sony XF90, XG90 or XH90 (depending on availability and price). I ruled out OLEDs beacuse I would always worry about burn ins and they are much more expensive anyway. At least I can't go wrong with a Vizio since they are not sold here. Also, how do 1080p games look on the 900F? Has it got a good upscaler?

S0ULZB0URNE

Nobody knows as test comparisons haven't been be shown yet.
The sound/speakers are better with every size above the 55 inch.
Usually bigger sizes=more zones.
This TV has a low zone count but exceptional local dimming algorithm thx 2 it's next gen SOC.

makaveli60

Nobody knows as test comparisons haven't been be shown yet.
The sound/speakers are better with every size above the 55 inch.
Usually bigger sizes=more zones.
This TV has a low zone count but exceptional local dimming algorithm thx 2 it's next gen SOC.
I take this as that I can't go wrong even with a 49". I mean it can't be much worse than the larger ones or we would hear about that I suppose.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I Know the 55 has 60 dimming zones and can peak brighter then the 75/85
But it's nothing to write home about
But the 75/85 on the G/H have X-Wide Angle technology for better colour at angles
I believe 55 is the sweet spot

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Huh? Just wait for PS5 then and make a decision. Also, it's not only pixel density, you're sitting some distance away which is a factor on image sharpness. Also also, all 43inch/109 are entry-level 4k tv's with poor HDR capabilities and lacking hdmi 2.1 which PS5 will have. Also also also from my personal experience - go for a bigger screen as it has more weight to wow factor than ppi and starting from 55" that's where all the premium panels start such as OLED although LG's CX(2020 model) is available in 48".

I agree with this. If you're going to be buying a new TV just go with 55" at a minimum, and a new one, with all of the latest features. That's where all the good 4K models start. It's also a more pleasant experience than gaming or watching media on a smaller TV. And they aren't even that much more expensive than the smaller models.

Last edited:
But the 75/85 on the G/H have X-Wide Angle technology for better colour at angles
Just want to point out something on Sony's X-Wide Angle tech. Yes, it does mean a wider viewing angle, but it also means worse overall blacks even with local-dimming versus their standard VA panel non-wide filter.

devilNprada

OK 👌 thanks
Yeah, I started reading again from the beginning and seems that my best "budget" option is the one you recommended:
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005B

This seems to have proper HDR with a reasonable price, although much more than I wanted to spend, but this seems to be the best price/value option, isn't it? Only better options would be OLEDs that are even more expensive. Problem is that I worry that this won't be in stock in the Autumn but I don't have the money for it currently.

OH yeah I have the 49 inch in a bedroom it's a beautiful TV, every bit as nice as the oleds in the other rooms imo. If your getting this as a budget tv you can't go wrong...

devilNprada

Also, how do 1080p games look on the 900F?

TV up scaling has come along way since the begining of the generation. Sony tvs upscale the playstation games beautifully. When I want to amaze people I turn on either a Netflix nature show, or me riding through the snow in rdr2.. People can't even believe video games look that good these days.

Xellos

Just want to point out something on Sony's X-Wide Angle tech. Yes, it does mean a wider viewing angle, but it also means worse overall blacks even with local-dimming versus their standard VA panel non-wide filter.

This is true, but it's not like going to IPS contrast or anything. VA panel plus x-wide still has decent contrast for LCD. Per Rtings, with local dimming 55x950g is around 4800:1, while 55x950h with x-wide is around 3800:1.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I think X900H doesn't have X-Wide Angle, that's why it actually has better blacks vs X950H even though it has less dimming zones!

TGO

how do 1080p games look on the 900F? Has it got a good upscaler?
I imagine the 900F would be the same as mine do I dam answer that.
They look better then before simply because of the Local Dimming and punchier picture.
Blu-rays will look better then before and having you questioning if 4k is needed until you watch it 4k 😂
But thanks to Sony's Object-based 4k HDR Remaster Engine everything you put through the TV will look fantastic
But compressed 1080p content will shows all it's flaws and compression artifacts
Better have those high bit rate files or decent Hevc files
I will warn you about Local Dimming Blooming as no one has mentioned it
Most of the time it's not noticeable but if you see this you'll know what it is
maxresdefault.jpg

TGO

I think X900H doesn't have X-Wide Angle, that's why it actually has better blacks vs X950H even though it has less dimming zones!
The 55/65 don't have them no, from what I understand it's not that noticeable on those screens so no need to include it
PS
I know you like this
My Xperia 1 II has arrived and it's Godly!😁

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The 55/65 don't have them no, from what I understand it's not that noticeable on those screens so no need to include it
PS
I know you like this
My Xperia 1 II has arrived and it's Godly!😁

I've checked 75" size and seems like the sweet spot for sitting at around 2-2.5 meters away :) But this time might mount it on the wall. 85" is still tempting though but not sure if it's worth the extra money, 65" seems decent as well. 55" is now slightly small, lol.

And about Xperia 1 mark II I should preorder it from here!

Gets you the WF-1000XM3 for free! Sony Mobile has pulled out of the middle east in 2018 due to poor sales, but I've been a loyal costumer since 2005! That crazy phone shoots 4K@60fps at 10-bit! Plus 12-bit raw photography! A wonderful backup camera, especially being water-resistant as current monsoons season you get constant drizzles and light rain for 3-4 months and barely see the sun.

And now Sony a7s III has been officially confirmed this summer! With new sensor (could be even a new era of sensors larger than full-frame, as full-frame can only make native 6K), gonna get that one as well. And also this nice car screen:

And PS5, that makes me an official fanboy, I guess. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

I bought a B9 last year and even though I'm very happy with it I'm sweating because LG won't clarify how far the HDMI 2.1 support will go. It feels like they could easily enable all the features with a software update but something tells me they gonna gatekeep the good stuff to make me buy a new TV.

Sucks.

Jigga117

I bought a B9 last year and even though I'm very happy with it I'm sweating because LG won't clarify how far the HDMI 2.1 support will go. It feels like they could easily enable all the features with a software update but something tells me they gonna gatekeep the good stuff to make me buy a new TV.

Sucks.

what are you talking about the features are active. You can’t do 4k@120hz because you have no device that also needs HDMI 2.1 so not sure what else needs to be“active” when everything else for the tv features works for PC and Xbox One X. Variable Refresh Rate(VRR) and Auto Low Latency work. 1440p@120hz work and that is a HDMI 2.0 capability

there is not “extra support” needed

Last edited:

TGO

I've checked 75" size and seems like the sweet spot for sitting at around 2-2.5 meters away :) But this time might mount it on the wall. 85" is still tempting though but not sure if it's worth the extra money, 65" seems decent as well. 55" is now slightly small, lol.

And about Xperia 1 mark II I should preorder it from here!

Gets you the WF-1000XM3 for free! Sony Mobile has pulled out of the middle east in 2018 due to poor sales, but I've been a loyal costumer since 2005! That crazy phone shoots 4K@60fps at 10-bit! Plus 12-bit raw photography! A wonderful backup camera, especially being water-resistant as current monsoons season you get constant drizzles and light rain for 3-4 months and barely see the sun.

And now Sony a7s III has been officially confirmed this summer! With new sensor (could be even a new era of sensors larger than full-frame, as full-frame can only make native 6K), gonna get that one as well. And also this nice car screen:

And PS5, that makes me an official fanboy, I guess. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
I have a loft conversion and that's where all my entertainment stuff is
Sadly I struggled getting the 55" up there so I can't go any bigger 😔
My Xperia 1 II came with these
718BW4iCjuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Gotta claim them though, which I have to wait 14 days after purchase 🙄

makaveli60

I imagine the 900F would be the same as mine do I dam answer that.
They look better then before simply because of the Local Dimming and punchier picture.
Blu-rays will look better then before and having you questioning if 4k is needed until you watch it 4k 😂
But thanks to Sony's Object-based 4k HDR Remaster Engine everything you put through the TV will look fantastic
But compressed 1080p content will shows all it's flaws and compression artifacts
Better have those high bit rate files or decent Hevc files
I will warn you about Local Dimming Blooming as no one has mentioned it
Most of the time it's not noticeable but if you see this you'll know what it is
maxresdefault.jpg
And what is this blooming thing? Why does it happen? How can I avoid it?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

Sucks.
umm...

wtf are you talking about?

they aren't gatekeeping shit. do yourself a favour and read reviews next time....

oh, look, all the HDMI 2.1 features have been tested and working!

4K 120Hz - yup
HDMI Forum VRR - yip
ALLM - yep
eARC - yap

when it comes to full HDMI 2.1 support LG is pretty much the only manufacturer who isn't bullshitting people and not only that they are putting in multiple 2.1 ports. These TVs are the most future proof sets you can buy right now.

Last edited:

TGO

And what is this blooming thing? Why does it happen? How can I avoid it?
Unlike a OLED TV a Full Array LED has zones when a zone lights up an White area for example white text on black background the area lights up whereas the rest remains of the image is jet black
Because the LEDs are disabled.
This is how you get those deep blacks
You don't see this on OLEDs because OLED has the ability to turn off individual pixels

You may not notice it but messing with the settings can reduce it to none existent
It's not a big deal
But with HDR content and having the brightness on Max you'll bound to run into it

Ma-Yuan

LG 75NANO906NA
I am thinking of buying this TV for PS5 and XSX.

Anyone has experience with this years LGs Nano line? I know OLEDs would look better but I got scared because of burnins and as soon as an OLED hits 75inch it gets ridiculously expensive.

Some tests said the local dimming is shit other said its good. I just can't find a real trustworthy review imo.

J3nga

LG 75NANO906NA

Anyone has experience with this years LGs Nano line? I know OLEDs would look better but I got scared because of burnins and as soon as an OLED hits 75inch it gets ridiculously expensive.

Some tests said the local dimming is shit other said its good. I just can't find a real trustworthy review imo.
Wouldn't go with LG's nano's panels, it's just an IPS panel with shitty blacks, weak contrast and HDR. Why would you want that? If you're afraid of OLED's, then maybe look for Sony's XF95/XG95 or this years X90H or even Samsung's QLED's like Q70R, but the last thing I would recommend LG's nanocells, those are just IPS LCD panels for the price of OLEDS.

Ma-Yuan

Wouldn't go with LG's nano's panels, it's just an IPS panel with shitty blacks, weak contrast and HDR. Why would you want that? If you're afraid of OLED's, then maybe look for Sony's XF95/XG95 or this years X90H or even Samsung's QLED's like Q70R, but the last thing I would recommend LG's nanocells, those are just IPS LCD panels for the price of OLEDS.

Well I want an answer from someone with expierence because some tests said LG greatly improved their IPS quality and others denied it^^

Also quick check 75inch Nano (2020) would cost me ~2300€ with all the HDMI 2.1 goodness. Quick check CX 77 inch ~6800€.

So this is quiet a big argument wouldn't you say^^

J3nga

Well I want an answer from someone with expierence because some tests said LG greatly improved their IPS quality and others denied it^^

Also quick check 75inch Nano (2020) would cost me ~2300€ with all the HDMI 2.1 goodness. Quick check CX 77 inch ~6800€.

Try reddit maybe.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Did you watch this? Timestamped:

He still recommends X900H over it, and they're priced equally. It's a VA panel (X900H). I can't see the Nano 90 matching Sony in motion, upscaling, colors, HDR, and overall picture quality. If you still think you like it, then it's a good tv.

Better watch the whole video though. And I personally won't recommend Q70T nor Q80T due to 2 reports so far of ghost effect and poor game mode picture quality (timestamped):

Maybe check out this thread and read the discussions, might help out.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Wait - so the B9 does full 4k 120hz? Does the Gsync range also work fully at 4K or does it need to be dropped to 1440p?

I might just pick one of these up on Black Friday.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wait - so the B9 does full 4k 120hz? Does the Gsync range also work fully at 4K or does it need to be dropped to 1440p?

I might just pick one of these up on Black Friday.

G-Sync is only LG CX, but that one supports Freesync, but not Freesync premium (CX). If you are a console gamer, you shouldn't worry about these. B9 should be a very good tv.

Rikkori

LG 75NANO906NA

Avoid LG LCDs like the PLAGUE! Shit performance, awful reliability and just as expensive as much better models from competitors. It doesn't matter if we're talking about a model from today, 10 years ago, or 50 years in the future. Avoid, avoid, avoid LG LCD!

It's your money to spend but you've been made aware.

Ma-Yuan

Avoid LG LCDs like the PLAGUE! Shit performance, awful reliability and just as expensive as much better models from competitors. It doesn't matter if we're talking about a model from today, 10 years ago, or 50 years in the future. Avoid, avoid, avoid LG LCD!

It's your money to spend but you've been made aware.

OK after the last few posts I might go with the Sony xh90. Just don't like that it's not supporting all hdmi 2.1 without an update...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
OK after the last few posts I might go with the Sony xh90. Just don't like that it's not supporting all hdmi 2.1 without an update...

No worries there, my X700D has no HDR out of the box, then got the HDR firmware update. It's very dangerous to not meet such official claims. Although, I would suggest waiting for Black Friday for the best deal, or around PS5 release. By then, the firmware should be out and the reviews as well.

G-Sync is only LG CX, but that one supports Freesync, but not Freesync premium (CX). If you are a console gamer, you shouldn't worry about these. B9 should be a very good tv.
Can anyone confirm this? I was sure I read somewhere there was a firmware update rolled out that brought gsync to b9 & c9 or have I read wrong.

Currently In the market for a TV so just gathering all the facts and this thread has been a wealth of info so far.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Can anyone confirm this? I was sure I read somewhere there was a firmware update rolled out that brought gsync to b9 & c9 or have I read wrong.

Currently In the market for a TV so just gathering all the facts and this thread has been a wealth of info so far.

I personally don't know, sadly. All I know that Freesync Premium (coming in an update later) and G-Sync are LG CX exclusive in the LG family, not sure if that's changing.

makaveli60

Accidentally just saw a good sale for this TV:
SONY BRAVIA KD-49XG9005BAEP

It goes for ~$700 now. What do you say? Should I buy it now? It seems like a good deal.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Accidentally just saw a good sale for this TV:
SONY BRAVIA KD-49XG9005BAEP

It goes for ~$700 now. What do you say? Should I buy it now? It seems like a good deal.

I'm not sure why you rush for a year old tv with HDMI 2.0 and 49" instead of 55" and paying near that price for HDMI 2.1 and future proofing of the newer model. I would rather wait another year if I had to. It's a good tv, but why settle for "good" if you can go for "better" with more patience?

Last edited:

makaveli60

I'm not sure why you rush for a year old tv with HDMI 2.0 instead and 49" instead of 55" and paying near that price for HDMI 2.1 and future proofing of the newer model. I would rather wait another year if I had to. It's a good tv, but why settle for "good" if you can go for "better" with more patience?
Honestly, I just checked and even a 49" will be difficult to fit in my room so I really prefer that size over 55". As I said HDMI 2.1 is not important to me. Objectively, you are definitely right, but I want the smallest good HDR TV at the best price and this seems like it. I don't think I will find a better offer on Black Friday even in my country. Most important question for me is if the HDR is good in this TV at this size?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Honestly, I just checked and even a 49" will be difficult to fit in my room so I really prefer that size over 55". As I said HDMI 2.1 is not important to me. Objectively, you are definitely right, but I want the smallest good HDR TV at the best price and this seems like it. I don't think I will find a better offer on Black Friday even in my country. Most important question for me is if the HDR is good in this TV at this size?

Well, I think you'll be very happy with that choice then, and HDR performance I believe is good, but search for (Sony X900G XG90 review) on youtube and check as much videos as possible to make a solid decision.

Top Bottom