• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K TV for nextgen questions

S0ULZB0URNE

Well I want an answer from someone with expierence because some tests said LG greatly improved their IPS quality and others denied it^^

Also quick check 75inch Nano (2020) would cost me ~2300€ with all the HDMI 2.1 goodness. Quick check CX 77 inch ~6800€.

So this is quiet a big argument wouldn't you say^^
The LG is IPS with gray/glowing blacks and a low peak brightness.

makaveli60

Reporting back, my XG9005 arrived today.
Well, I'm glad I made this thread and listened to you guys since if there was no proper HDR in my new TV I would be quite disappointed now. When I first checked it out and compared it to my old Samsung TV (which BTW has a beautiful screen, even today IMO) watcing the same HDR videos on youtube I was like "WTF did I do, did I really pay this much for a larger TV that I'm not even sure has a better screen? Then I found out that I had to change the HDR mode manually (it was on automatic). And then I started smiling. HDR is the real shit indeed. Seriously, if you intend to buy a new TV, make sure it has good HDR, otherwise you are wasting money. I remember a couple of years ago I was in an electronic store and saw a 4K HDR TV that amazed me and I thought to myself "one day I will get a TV like this". Now I have it. Thank you again to everyone who contributed to this topic. Now the waiting for nextgen begins.

sojuwarrior

a question for the technical folks here, is it true that native resolution will always look better than upscaling?
for example 1080p game on 1080p HDTV is better than a 1080p game upscaled on a 4k tv, no matter how high-end the 4k tv or the upscaler is?

Ulysses 31

a question for the technical folks here, is it true that native resolution will always look better than upscaling?
for example 1080p game on 1080p HDTV is better than a 1080p game upscaled on a 4k tv, no matter how high-end the 4k tv or the upscaler is?
Nop, AI upscaling can bring out more details than native res.

makaveli60

Nope. I don't understand how it does it but I compared my new XG90 with my old 1080p Samsung using my base PS4 and the difference was CRAZY. I had to double check on the old TV if it is really showing an 1080p picture because it felt like SD after seeing the upscaled image on the XG90. I really can't understand how could the same 1080p game look that much better on a much larger TV but it does. Magic.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Picked up c9 this year but just realized I don’t think any affordable receiver allows for 120hz pass through. So now I have to decide what I’m going to do with my new systems when they come out

Jigga117

Picked up c9 this year but just realized I don’t think any affordable receiver allows for 120hz pass through. So now I have to decide what I’m going to do with my new systems when they come out
You have 4 hdmi 2.1 ports. All you need to do is connect to EARC to receiver and send sound. no reason you need your devices connected in the receiver when The tv is already capable.

dorkimoe

You have 4 hdmi 2.1 ports. All you need to do is connect to EARC to receiver and send sound. no reason you need your devices connected in the receiver when The tv is already capable.
Hmm. So I can put my consoles into the tv and just have the reciever handling just the audio through arc? And I could do 120hz. (With next gen consoles)

Jigga117

Hmm. So I can put my consoles into the tv and just have the reciever handling just the audio through arc? And I could do 120hz. (With next gen consoles)

WdFwpuf.gif

Just decided to buy a Hisense H9G for the bedroom. Quantum color with 130dimming zones on the 55" for $650 rivaling OLED blacks with punchier color and 1000 nits. It doesnt have HDMI 2.1, but it is a 120hz panel and you cant beat the PQ at this price (it even edges out LEDs much more expensive). I really dont think next gen consoles are going to push out many 120hz games, and if they do it will be at 1080p,(no thanks). I have an E9 in the living room, so should the PS5 be able to push 4k 120hz (it wont) then it can go there.

Jigga117

Just decided to buy a Hisense H9G for the bedroom. Quantum color with 130dimming zones on the 55" for $650 rivaling OLED blacks with punchier color and 1000 nits. It doesnt have HDMI 2.1, but it is a 120hz panel and you cant beat the PQ at this price (it even edges out LEDs much more expensive). I really dont think next gen consoles are going to push out many 120hz games, and if they do it will be at 1080p,(no thanks). I have an E9 in the living room, so should the PS5 be able to push 4k 120hz (it wont) then it can go there.
It should be able to do 1440p 120hz but not 4k@120hz. That’s why you need HDMI 2.1

specifically you need 40gbps HDMI 2.1 to do 4k@120hz 10-bit 444 HDR
RXJVx7h.jpg

It should be able to do 1440p 120hz but not 4k@120hz. That’s why you need HDMI 2.1

specifically you need 40gbps HDMI 2.1 to do 4k@120hz 10-bit 444 HDR
RXJVx7h.jpg

Thats what I was alluding to, i dont think next gen games will be pushing 4k 120hz thats why I went with the hisense for the price and performance ratio, if they are 120hz, it will be at 1440p or less, which hdmi 2.0 will handle. Should the PS5 (console Im getting) do 4k 120, I have e9 oled in the living room I can use instead but this will be few and far between on PS5, if even ever. Heck the tech demo was 1440p 30fps.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nope. I don't understand how it does it but I compared my new XG90 with my old 1080p Samsung using my base PS4 and the difference was CRAZY. I had to double check on the old TV if it is really showing an 1080p picture because it felt like SD after seeing the upscaled image on the XG90. I really can't understand how could the same 1080p game look that much better on a much larger TV but it does. Magic.
Sony has got crazy Upscaling processors and the XG90 is equipped with their best
Even a DVD can look good on them

Wait - so the B9 does full 4k 120hz? Does the Gsync range also work fully at 4K or does it need to be dropped to 1440p?

I might just pick one of these up on Black Friday.

If you are a console gamer you do not need to worry about gaming 4k at 120hz. These consoles will most likely do the occasional 120hz at 1080p or 1440p which HDMI 2.0 will handle just fine. Most ppl don't even have 4k TV's let alone ones with HDMI 2.1, even if they did the average gamer would have no clue how to take advantage of it. For this reason I believe devs will not lower game assets to hit 4k 120, it just doesn't make sense yet.

makaveli60

Sony has got crazy Upscaling processors and the XG90 is equipped with their best
Even a DVD can look good on them
I haven't tried watching DVD yet but looking forward to it. That upscaling is really mindblowing. Actually that's the thing I'm most impressed with. It's insane.

makaveli60

Hey everyone, it's me again with a new question, this time about upscaling.
So my XG90 has an insanely good upscaler and 1080p games look awesome on it. However, somewhere I read that it has to do with 2160p being able to be divided by 1080p. So my question is, if I will play a 1440p game or some other arbitrary resolution game, will that look better than if that same game was running in 1080p on the TV? My logical assumption would say yes, but I don't know how this upscaling thing works. Thanks!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Hey everyone, it's me again with a new question, this time about upscaling.
So my XG90 has an insanely good upscaler and 1080p games look awesome on it. However, somewhere I read that it has to do with 2160p being able to be divided by 1080p. So my question is, if I will play a 1440p game or some other arbitrary resolution game, will that look better than if that same game was running in 1080p on the TV? My logical assumption would say yes, but I don't know how this upscaling thing works. Thanks!

I am slightly confused by your question.

Are you running a PC thats capable of outputting at 1440p or are you on console?

makaveli60

I am slightly confused by your question.

Are you running a PC thats capable of outputting at 1440p or are you on console?
It's just a theoretical question. But here is a good example:
TLoU2 runs at 1080p on base PS4 (how I played it)
I know it runs at 1440p on PS4 Pro
So I was thinking about if it will look better when I will play it on PS5 (without ND patching it, so in PS4 Pro mode) on this same TV compared to 1080p base PS4 version

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's just a theoretical question. But here is a good example:
TLoU2 runs at 1080p on base PS4 (how I played it)
I know it runs at 1440p on PS4 Pro
So I was thinking about if it will look better when I will play it on PS5 (without ND patching it, so in PS4 Pro mode) on this same TV compared to 1080p base PS4 version

Theoretically you want to run it as close to native resolution as is. BUt since the PS4 does feature super sampling if you forced it to run in 1080P it would super Sample the 1440p image down to 1080P then the TV would upscale that Super Sampled Image. Even with all of that extra I would think the closer you are to 4K the better the image would look upscaled as it has to try and fill in less of the image.

Wanted to try this thread before making a new one (as well as another thread).

I've been bitten by the OLED bug, and I've been looking around and reading reviews. I've been looking at the LG CX and mostly the 48" version . Having 4K/120 with Gsync/Freesync/VRR over HDMI sounds great and the color always looks so good in person but I have a few questions.

1. I currently have a 2019 TCL 6 Series QLED. I know it's a great band for the buck TV but is it worth upgrading? I would technically be downsizing which will bring me to another question..
2. The 48 and 55 are the same price now basically everywhere. Is there any reason for that? It seems weird to buy a 48 when the 55 is the same price but right now a 48 would fit me better in my bedroom. I live with a roommate so we have a common room with a 65" Sony but I'm also thinking about the future when I move out.
3. I know this thread is about consoles, but does anybody use this for PC? I currently have my PC hooked up to both my monitor and my TV for when I wanna play on a big screen. Now my PC can't handle anything close to 4k/60 so I generally can do 1440p/60. I've heard I have to force this resolution on the LG OLEDs.
4. I know Vizio is coming out with a OLED in a matter of a couple weeks I believe. Is it worth waiting for the Vizio? I want to make sure that if I'm spending $1500 that I'm getting the best for next gen. I know the 55 Vizio is $1299.

chasimus

Keep your TV for now and wait till March's sales and get an LG CX. Not sure if the 48" version has HDMI 2.1, but the 55" does. It also has native 1440p support, I believe, which some TVs do not have.

Reactions: MrS

Jigga117

Wanted to try this thread before making a new one (as well as another thread).

I've been bitten by the OLED bug, and I've been looking around and reading reviews. I've been looking at the LG CX and mostly the 48" version . Having 4K/120 with Gsync/Freesync/VRR over HDMI sounds great and the color always looks so good in person but I have a few questions.

1. I currently have a 2019 TCL 6 Series QLED. I know it's a great band for the buck TV but is it worth upgrading? I would technically be downsizing which will bring me to another question..
2. The 48 and 55 are the same price now basically everywhere. Is there any reason for that? It seems weird to buy a 48 when the 55 is the same price but right now a 48 would fit me better in my bedroom. I live with a roommate so we have a common room with a 65" Sony but I'm also thinking about the future when I move out.
3. I know this thread is about consoles, but does anybody use this for PC? I currently have my PC hooked up to both my monitor and my TV for when I wanna play on a big screen. Now my PC can't handle anything close to 4k/60 so I generally can do 1440p/60. I've heard I have to force this resolution on the LG OLEDs.
4. I know Vizio is coming out with a OLED in a matter of a couple weeks I believe. Is it worth waiting for the Vizio? I want to make sure that if I'm spending $1500 that I'm getting the best for next gen. I know the 55 Vizio is $1299.
Depending on your GPU you shouldn’t need to force the resolution. I don’t but I have a 2080Ti. 1440p 60/120 is available in the PC resolution.

Jigga117

Keep your TV for now and wait till March's sales and get an LG CX. Not sure if the 48" version has HDMI 2.1, but the 55" does. It also has native 1440p support, I believe, which some TVs do not have.
All the models have 4 HDMI 2.1 inputs except for the BX model that only has 2 vs the B9 2019 that had 4

Top Bottom