• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I have a Zelda LE 3DS, and there's no way I'm letting go of that - I absolutely love it. I sold my launch Cosmic Black 3DS for it. But, I have a Mario 25th Anniversary DS XL, and know how wonderful the big screens can be.

So, what are peoples' thoughts on importing a 3DS XL from a different region? If I were to do that, what region is getting more exclusives that aren't getting published here in the States - Japan or Europe?

off topic:
I don't know when this drive came to make PORTABLE devices decisively un-portable (unless you're carrying a tote bag or fucking MC hammer pants), but it's really a shame.

When people older than 12 started buying them and wanted to play them comfortably?

3DS boycott? I've never heard of this.

Amazons topped carrying Nintendo hardware in the late summer of last year. They still don't carry the 3DS and only recently started carrying the Wii again. No reason has ever been given.

Think they stopped carrying 3DS after people kept returning them because the screens would be scratched when the system was closed. Or something like that.

People just assumed that was the case. Amazon never commented on the matter and the gaming press has pretty much ignored it because it would actually require effort to do so.

off topic:

How has your vision been? I remember you said a long time ago you felt like you were losing it, has it stabilized at all?

on topic:

I'm still slightly on the fence about getting the XL. I mean, it has better battery life... that's good. But it's far too big. I don't know when this drive came to make PORTABLE devices decisively un-portable (unless you're carrying a tote bag or fucking MC hammer pants), but it's really a shame. Even VITA is too large for my tastes.

That said, I'm waiting for impressions from people I trust to know the true quality of the system itself and its "improvements", and of course, if I want to spend money on this... because unless I have my 3DS I can't transfer my shit to my 3DS XL, right? I want to trade in my 3DS for a 3DS XL, because to me this isn't worth more than $149.99 on a good day, but with the annoying game shit always being attached to your unit because Nintendo is in the stone age, it makes this prospect decidedly more complicated.

I've been having treatment every month for a over year now to slow down the effects on my vision, my gaming life has suffered so I mostly play on 3DS or laptop close up. That's is why I hope to upgrade here and hope Sony can turn Vita into a huge success that I can jump on that too. I really need Vita to do well as you point out Nintendo's strange ways in your posts I don't blame you

So yeah vision right now is frustrating only can get treatment but not reversing the damage.

as for the XL I would not be shocked to see it on the train along with all the iPads no matter the size people these days take these things with them without the need for the pockets

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Amazons topped carrying Nintendo hardware in the late summer of last year. They still don't carry the 3DS and only recently started carrying the Wii again. No reason has ever been given.

Amazon.com hasn't carried the 3DS in the US for about a year. It's only available from third party sellers.

Think they stopped carrying 3DS after people kept returning them because the screens would be scratched when the system was closed. Or something like that.

amazon doesn't sell the 3ds and hasn't sold it in over a year. you can buy a 3ds on amazon.com but it's not sold by amazon
Huh, can't believe I never heard about this. That might explain some of the 3DS prices.

SmZA

Yea, the 3DS currently filters DS games when they're being scaled to fit the screen. Some are more tolerant of it than others, but I don't particularly think it looks good upscaled as the image is slightly blurry. So if you want the best IQ on a big screen size for ordinary DS games, then a DSiXL might proabbly be more ideal for you.

I'm talking about filtering of 3DS games rather than upscaling. The OP implies there is filtering that makes the pixels look better. I'm wondering if this also has an effect on DS games (1:1, not upscaled). I doubt it as it's probably anti-aliasing in the 3D engine and can't be applied to 2D sprites, but I'm waiting for more hands-on reports to confirm.

dokish

Banned
I've been having treatment every month for a over year now to slow down the effects on my vision, my gaming life has suffered so I mostly play on 3DS or laptop close up. That's is why I hope to upgrade here and hope Sony can turn Vita into a huge success that I can jump on that too. I really need Vita to do well as you point out Nintendo's strange ways in your posts I don't blame you

So yeah vision right now is frustrating only can get treatment but not reversing the damage.

as for the XL I would not be shocked to see it on the train along with all the iPads no matter the size people these days take these things with them without the need for the pockets

Is Keratoconus what you have? :'(

Because if it is... I have the same fucking thing.

cullenx

Banned
Anybody know how the abxy and d-pad feel? They were a real issue with me--too clicky and cheap. I hope they are reminiscent of the DSi's buttons and d-pad

Is Keratoconus what you have? :'(

Because if it is... I have the same fucking thing.

sorry to hear that.

no I have Sickle Cell Anemia which messes with every organ in my body as I grow older my eyes have been to most annoying

I miss when I use to see 20/20 I totally missed out on 3D movies now glasses free 3D games I dreamed about these things becoming a reality never thought Nintendo would be the ones to pull this off on a portable

I'll need an XL now anyway

Himself

do you really need the stand to play kid icarus?

By the worst accounts it's tough to play even with the stand. Then you got your hardcores who claim there is absolutely nothing wrong with the control scheme, just the people who are playing it.

I'd like to find out for myself one day.

Amir0x

Banned

Dang, sorry to hear that. I was hoping that they would have found some way to improve it. I don't know enough about sickle cell to know the type of treatments they have when things like this happen, so it really makes me sad. You're really fucking talented and I just always hope things work out for you.

Anyway, I can see why you would want a bigger platform. Actually, when the DS XL came out I sort of assumed that's the target audience - older people with poorer vision and others with poor vision, you know. I guess though this "non-portable portable" thing is the wave of the future, though.

The iPAD might be a good gaming device for you though, no? Although since you have a laptop, that's probably more than a little pointless.

When people older than 12 started buying them and wanted to play them comfortably?

I can play all my not shitty sized portables quite comfortably, thank you very much. I am sad that you cannot, but, for me anyway if I am not going to have a portable system, then I might as well play on a console. That's the way I view it anyhow.

Amazon has bigger issues with Nintendo that extend beyond the numerous problems that caused a ton of 3DSes to get returned to them. How else to explain that they've stopped carrying DS Lites, DSis, and DSiXLs? I really like Amazon, but this disingenuous crap they're pulling by listing the old MSRPs for DSi and DSi XL and allowing third parties to charge more for it than Nintendo asks for is bullshit.

Chanser

So, what are peoples' thoughts on importing a 3DS XL from a different region? If I were to do that, what region is getting more exclusives that aren't getting published here in the States - Japan or Europe?

Freaky Farms Deluxe seems to be exclusive to Europe and the Pokemon keyboard game.

Gravijah

By the worst accounts it's tough to play even with the stand. Then you got your hardcores who claim there is absolutely nothing wrong with the control scheme, just the people who are playing it.

eh, the controls aren't really that bad once you get used to 'em, but the actual game is kinda mediocre 50% of the time.

Think of it like swimming butterfly. If you put the effort in you can do it well. But most people will give up really fast and never get the hang of it. Even if you can do it, it isn't really worth it anyway because there are much more fun ways to swim.

hwy_61

Banned
I really like Amazon, but this disingenuous crap they're pulling by listing the old MSRPs for DSi and DSi XL and allowing third parties to charge more for it than Nintendo asks for is bullshit.

Agreed, and was there ever an explanation for when they stopped selling everything PSN? That bummed me out.

Himself

Think of it like swimming butterfly. If you put the effort in you can do it well. But most people will give up really fast and never get the hang of it. Even if you can do it, it isn't really worth it anyway because there are much more fun ways to swim.

Haha. I get it now.

Dang, sorry to hear that. I was hoping that they would have found some way to improve it. I don't know enough about sickle cell to know the type of treatments they have when things like this happen, so it really makes me sad. You're really fucking talented and I just always hope things work out for you.

Anyway, I can see why you would want a bigger platform. Actually, when the DS XL came out I sort of assumed that's the target audience - older people with poorer vision and others with poor vision, you know. I guess though this "non-portable portable" thing is the wave of the future, though.

The iPAD might be a good gaming device for you though, no? Although since you have a laptop, that's probably more than a little pointless.

I can play all my not shitty sized portables quite comfortably, thank you very much. I am sad that you cannot, but, for me anyway if I am not going to have a portable system, then I might as well play on a console. That's the way I view it anyhow.

no worries I am doing much better than I was a few years back :)

yeah there are lots of platforms right now that can help me get back into gaming but the financial part of keeping up with my health does not leave much to spend on multiple devices

I want a retina macbook pro now and an iPad, saving and selling some paintings.

I was hoping that WiiU streams Wii games but forgot the games would need to be coded to stream to the gamepad but it is kinda close to my gaming solution something I can hold closer to see better.

I'll start with an XL for now and hope to have collected the rest by next year

hope to have better gaming experience in the near future

i'll probably just pre-order from gamestop. if i pre-order from gamestop.com for instore pickup, could i just NOT pick it up if i decide to get it elsewhere and not be charged?

nm not available for in-store pick up :(

BigDug13

So with the USPS new rule of not shipping any lithium battery devices, I guess I will have to wait and hope that the Navy Exchange here in Yokosuka gets it quickly around release day.

Mistle

I had problems with the controls for about the first 2 chapters... then it was fine! No stand. I get why some people would dislike it though, but it's really not that hard.

Not sure if you would like it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you couldn't even manage to fly above the clouds in SS, haha

goomba

Banned
I was hoping that WiiU streams Wii games but forgot the games would need to be coded to stream to the gamepad but it is kinda close to my gaming solution something I can hold closer to see better.

Not necessarily, all the system has to do is reroute the video from the TV to the GamePad. I'm actually expecting all VC and Wii games will be streamable to the GamePad from day 1.

did Japan not just pass something about double tax? I thought I read this the other day I was wondering how this would affect games in Japan. I wonder how 3DS XL will do with new tax added

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom