• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 Best Gaming Prequels

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'm very late to playing certain prequels, it being already the middle of the April! (I've been busy with some things in the yard)

But the question posed is: What are the best three prequels in gaming? And why?

FF7 Crisis Core -

Crisis Core was a great game and really the only good thing to come out from the original compilation of FF7. The characters were great, the story was solid, and the combat was alright if indeed it was rather repetitive. The ONLY thing I would have done to the story to make it better was the have Genesis circumcised from the overall plot.

Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater -

MGS3 is my favorite in the series. It introduces a unique stealth mechanic and survival system. The story has a satisfying ending with one lose end that is tied up later in the series. I give MGS3 a 10/10 and recommend to anyone.

Halo Reach -

Halo Reach, in my opinion, has the best cast in the series, as it shows the whole story of Halo. The forge is way better than other Halo's and there's also much better playlists.

Heh. Prequel guy ndeed.

Let's see:

DMC3: Second best gameplay in the series, the last Dmc game with Interesting level design in my opinion.

Half Life Alyx: Sets up several sequels, introduces a new standard of quality for a new hardware system, doesn't screw up its retcon.

Can't think of any more right now.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I'm not a fan of prequels, but one I remember I really enjoyed was

a4oBaBt.jpg

MGS3 is my favorite in the series. It introduces a unique stealth mechanic and survival system. The story has a satisfying ending with one lose end that is tied up later in the series. I give MGS3 a 10/10 and recommend to anyone.

Halo Reach -

Halo Reach, in my opinion, has the best cast in the series, as it shows the whole story of Halo. The forge is way better than other Halo's and there's also much better playlists.
Yakuza Zero is a very good game, but as a prequel it is inconsistent portaying some of the main characters when compared to Yakuza Kiwami.

I still love both games though.
I think these might be my 3 favorites.

MGS3 is my favorite metal gear game, and Yakuza 0 is my favorite Yakuza game. Both games do an amazing job both as a prequel and as a entry in the franchise.

Now Reach. Wow. I love Halo, and I love the lore behind Halo. Saw what you will about armor lock and sprint (I personally don’t mind it) but Reach (again) is my favorite entry in the franchise. It’s a story that you know the ending of before even starting it but they do such a good job with character development and everything else that you still have the urgency to continue with the story.

Also the last mission is basically perfect.

The last mission is just survive. You know the planet goes down and you know everybody dies and you simply fight until you fall. I also love the simple fact of the crack in your helmet visor. You are a Spartan and you’ve played as a Spartan through the other games. You are a super soldier and almost untouchable but in that moment there is no hope. No amount of super soldier capabilities will keep you alive. That visible damage to the visor is a reminder.

SinDelta

Can't believe no one said Ocarina of Time yet
Ocarina of Time for A Link to the Past and A Link to the Past for A Link Between Worlds.

Ocarina sets up most of the series leading up to Breath of the Wild. Pretty nuts.

Last edited:

Woopah

Ocarina of Time for A Link to the Past and A Link to the Past for A Link Between Worlds.

Ocarina sets up most of the series leading up to Breath of the Wild. Pretty nuts.
For a long time Nintendo just kept doing prequel after prequel for the Zelda franchise. I'm glad with BOTW they moved things forward.

GreatnessRD

Greatest game ever made. I stamp that.

And, I said what I said. :)

Arachnid

Deux Ex: Human Revolution
MGS3
RDR2

Good to see them all already listed, but I guess they are all a bit obvious. Same with Reach which deserves a mention. I also want to throw Metroid Prime, Assassins Creed: Black Flag, and MGSV/Peace Walker into the mix.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Borderlands had a good prequel. It’s nice and slow being in low-grav, so there’s time to move in full 3D while also shooting.

...just have to turn off the voice acting. 😃

Last edited:

Certinty

I generally hate prequels but Red Dead Redemption 2 is the best game I’ve ever played and so much better than the first game.

The graphics, open world, story, characters, visuals, attention to detail, liveliness and soundtrack are simple leagues beyond any other game I’ve ever played.

Top Bottom