• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2D Sprites that look Hand Drawn / Cartoons

Obviously, Cuphead comes to mind

But my all-time favorite has to go to

Wario Land: Shake It!​

This game suffers for being developed before HD and looks wonderful in it and even superb in 4k. (and using Real instruments instead of Midi makes the game ageless/timeless)

What are other video games that evoke a hand-drawn, almost cartoon animated look?

k_trout

nljQkBy.jpg

What games are these from?

-----------------------------

"I doubt this lesbian couple in a Japanese video game wasn’t anything more than something created and designed for the enjoyment of Japanese, straight men.

It shouldn’t be considered any type of representation, even in the 90’s compared to America or whatever. It doesn’t count."

-THE CREATOR OF SAILOR MOON IS A JAPANESE WOMAN!!!

Last edited:

Miles708

I always thought this one was meant to look more like a comic book or illustration.
I don't think you're entirely wrong, but i think it still fits the theme of the thread.
They're very detailed and expressive sprites, animated frame-by-frame.

Another one that fits the theme is this great, great game: Mad Rat Dead

(sadly i didn't find the original trailer in higher quality)

CamHostage

Every single post-Princess Crown, Vanillaware release.

Eh, not really?

Vanillaware designs are really attractive, but characters look and move like the vector-graphic / digipainted puppet-rigged models that they generally are. They also are not animated with much of what traditional hand-drawn cartoonists would use in squash/stretch (though plenty of bounce...) They're sweet for video game graphics, but I would not call it a "cartoon" or "hand-animated" look, not even an "anime" look; it's its own thing, and it's closer to CG than hand-made.

Last edited:
I have to say many of these examples in the thread look great as stills, but not in motion because of the animation. There's a big difference between hand-drawn and "hand-animated".

Cuphead looks absolutely amazing in that department though, for example.

Top Bottom