• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2024 TVs - The ones we're most excited about!

This year has many many many TVs coming from all big manufacturers. And some of them haven't even been announced yet... but Digital Trends made a nice video about those we already know about

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What can a TV possibly have at this point that should make one consider getting a new one?
The TV scene is like the smartphone scene at this point. No new significant features, you can get almost everything you’ll ever need for half a grand, and if you want to aim higher just get last year’s high-end for a bit less than a grand.
TV is still TV and it’ll be a while until we see some gaming features in consumer TVs that can really change the experience.
Meanwhile the low-end models are really just made low-end by purposefully stripping them of just the right amount of features that would make them perfect for 95% of users, but for a couple hundred less.

What can a TV possibly have at this point that should make one consider getting a new one?
The TV scene is like the smartphone scene at this point. No new significant features, you can get almost everything you’ll ever need for half a grand, and if you want to aim higher just get last year’s high-end for a bit less than a grand.
TV is still TV and it’ll be a while until we see some gaming features in consumer TVs that can really change the experience.
Meanwhile the low-end models are really just made low-end by purposefully stripping them of just the right amount of features that would make them perfect for 95% of users, but for a couple hundred less.
I understand your feeling. Makes sense.

I still like to see all the new stuff though, even if I won't be able to afford anything for years lol.

Xtib81

Interested to see comparisons between Samsung's new anti glare screen and glossy screens.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
240hz or all of the hdmi ports being 2.1 are the first 2 things that come to my mind

King Dazzar

I get it. But for me I think its the opposite in multiple ways. Maybe it depends on what's important for you in a TV. I wouldn't say every year things leap on, but its certainly moving forward none the less. We're starting to see 10k nit and 40k zone miniLED TV's coming to market. There's rumours of some emissive panels being worked on which can hit 2600nit and very high refresh rates. Whilst the sizes keep getting bigger and bigger.

If you're content though, happy days. I am generally. But as there's still no such thing as the perfect TV, I'm quite excited seeing it all progressing. But it does seem to be every 2 or 3 years things jump forward noticeably, rather than every year.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
I want a TV that can display fullscreen 100% window sustained 1000 nits, bare minimum, so that I don’t have to watch the display dynamically tone map colors and brightness to make up for hardware limitations. In most content it’s not noticeable but there are several reproducible moments during gaming where it very much is and it’s extremely distracting. Note that this is not on purpose, it just happens… mostly with games that have dynamic HUDs.

This year is the year where this likely becomes a reality and I have my wallet on standby.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I mean, are incremental upgrades worth it? I don’t think so.
The tech market is on a consistent 1 step forward, at least 1 step backwards cycle.
LGs have had 4 2.1 HDMI ports for years, what’s keeping the other TV makers to have the same on their high-end models?
LG themselves backpedaled on BFI frequency at one point for no reason, in the same price bracket.
Samsung jumps on the OLED bandwagon, but with Samsung caveats.
Sony’s flagship this year is not an OLED.

Are you really going to change your (I assume) perfectly fine TV set for a few nits more, and maybe get a cut corner or two here and there compared to what you have now? It’s a stupid game to keep a stagnating market barely alive. TVs don’t age like smartphones (and even those could be replaced much less frequently if batteries didn’t conveniently crap themselves after 3-4 years). TVs don’t need a complete lineup refresh every fucking year.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The tech market is on a consistent 1 step forward, at least 1 step backwards cycle.
LGs have had 4 2.1 HDMI ports for years, what’s keeping the other TV makers to have the same on their high-end models?
LG themselves backpedaled on BFI frequency at one point for no reason, in the same price bracket.

Are you really going to change your (I assume) perfectly fine TV set for a few nits more, and maybe get a cut corner or two here and there compared to what you have now? It’s a stupid game to keep a stagnating market barely alive. TVs don’t age like smartphones (and even those could be replaced much less frequently if batteries didn’t conveniently crap themselves after 3-4 years). TVs don’t need a complete lineup refresh every fucking year.
I agree in principle, in isolation annual upgrades aren‘t worth it. I upgrade my cellphone every five years at the earliest, and the decision to upgrade is generally around the time I experience degraded battery charge that reaches a point where I have to charge mid-day even if I haven’t used it. I do all my browsing through an ipad pro that was released in 2018, and I have no intent to replace it anytime soon. Still works great.

My current TV is five years old. It’s technically fine. I just moved into this house less than a year ago and the living room is longer than my previous residence, so my couch is a foot and a half further from the screen. I want to upgrade to a larger TV, but the incremental upgrades to the underlying tech didn’t warrant the asking prices. The current highend Sony TV didn’t display fullscreen nits that much brighter than my existing one. So despite some temptation during black Friday, I held off.

This year marks the first year where there is unequivocally a large step forward, IMO. Hitting 1000 nits fullscreen sustained means I can display content mastered for 1000 nits with no compromise. I no longer have to work for a living and have considerable more time to play games, and so I spend an inordinate amount of time staring at a TV screen. This year’s upcoming upgrades make the expense worth it for me, and I will run this next TV for probably five years minimum, which seems to be the general longevity of electronics for me.

My LG CX 77“ still does its job, and very it does it very well. Didn‘t see any reason to upgrade yet and with those incremental upgrades I doubt I‘ll sell it just to buy a newer model and instead just stick with it until it‘s dead.

I expect my Samsung QN85C that I bought last year will last me until MicroLED is a thing. I have 4K/120hz support, that ought to be enough for quite a long time as no video card exists which can even drive a 4K display with 120 fps unless you use like DLSS Ultra Performance

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in this thread.

TV manufacturers aren't expecting people to upgrade their tvs every year or two years like cellphones. They expect you will buy a tv and that you won't buy another one for 5-7+ years.

Changes to annual lineups can be made due to cost cutting measures, especially if you think sales will be down the following year. The margin on these TVs isn't super high and they have a pretty small window to sell them at higher markups within a 12-18 month window. Once new models come out for the new year, the value of the preview year plummets.

It's much more similar to the car market than the cell phone market.

I don't think 240Hz is ever happening on TVs. As for HDMI 2.1 most of the high end TVs come with all ports now, don't they?

Never say never, but there is currently no market need for 240hz tvs. Most PCs aren't played on TVs. So this would only be for console gaming and we're barely scratching the surface of 120hz with consoles.

It'll probably be a decade plus before we're even considering 240hz on consoles.

Edit: Similarly market research probably tells TV manufacturers that the vast majority of consumers don't need 3-4 hdmi 2.1 ports.

The reality is that most people again don't connect their PCs to their TVs and most people don't have more than one console. You don't need hdmi 2.1 for home theater especially with much of home theater moving to streaming.

The niche market for people who have a PS5, Xbox, and PC connected to their TV is super small even within the high end tv market and there are a good percentage of those people who will be buying AV receivers with their own hdmi 2.1 ports...

Last edited:
Top Bottom