• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2019 was a pretty meh year for gaming

Yeah, there was nothing that came out this year that was really great or interesting to me.
I was really excited for Modern Warfare, but thats been a bit disappointing and not as good as previous CoD's (skill based matchmaking, no enemy gunfire on the mini map, some rough maps etc). I still play it anyway. I paid $100 AUD for it :/

ROMhack

It's called getting older my friend. I penned the argument several years back but within a year period, I'm convinced there's only 2 or 3 games worth one's attention.

The rest of gaming as an enjoyable hobby is catching up on shit you missed or experiencing retro games.

Last edited:

Klayzer

Gold Member
This Year I got:

6e0c5579f86b251b2b0a330d82132491b55a2ac0.jpg

Dm8VteoXgAEi6Go-e469.jpg

1d89f0d456548369ecac7586327079f6155b7af1.jpg

db3d10406aa69652bf91831eb8055ef101a779cc.jpg

f7b85c676c3eaefa5ca9857b50c2be87.550x550x1.jpg

Resident-Evil-2-720x480.jpg

5a7d1c83b40086ed5964d39a7f5f57cfe42f3c32.jpeg

officialart02_1920x1080.jpg

562601-bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

Catherine-Full-Body-Key-Art-696x438.jpg

034381d9ed7cf07bb26097d931ab2d6dec5c9c58.jpg

dq-xi-s-625x352.jpg

e415456462b1a99665b8a47b271b3a5c8527b440.jpeg

og_image-e9c02643fe.jpg

As fan of Japanese games. this year was pretty damn good for me.
I have everyone of those games except Ryza. Great year if you're into Japanese games.

Nero_PR

Banned
Resident Evil
Control
Sekiro
Gears
Devil May Cry
Modern Warfare
Death Stranding
Outer Worlds
Star Wars
Borderlands
Mortal Kombat
Shenmue
Metro

Hitman received most of its content this year, too
Iceborn came out.

That's a lot of good games, or more content for good games...
Kingdom Hearts 3
Outer Wilds
Astral Chain
and some more that I have forgotten

ThCYEJX.jpg

This was off the top of my head, most I've played and enjoyed, others are big releases people have been excited for that I'd like to try. There is a ton missing here, Sekiro, Atelier Ryza, Wreckfest, Xenon Racer I remembered as I was posting this. There were even games on my phone I enjoyed this year.

(mat)

It's hard for me to agree when Super Mario Maker 2 came out this year. One of my favorite games of all time.

Oh, and Luigi's Mansion 3!

The Alien

Banned
For the final year of a console gen, there were tons of really good to great games.

Not sure if there were many legendary games this year, but next year gonna be nuts. (Halo, Batman, TLOU2, Ori2, Cyberpunk)

Smasher89

100% agreed, fire emblem was the first ok (not as good as fates due to pacing) new game from nintendo, and that was in july.
Then Astral chain was a good one, and empty until pokemon. This week's got 50% (suprised it has 50 and not 100+ stages) of a bubble bobble game though!

The year was so bad, even sony skipped out of E3.

Last edited:

Roberts

Control & Sekiro were phenomenal. Also, Fallen Order, Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds, Re2, Gears 5, Bloodstained, Blasphemous, A Plague Tale: Innocence, Remnant, Bard's Tale 4, Guacamelee! 2, Void Bastards, Metro and I even enjoyed Rage 2 and Crackdown 3. I would say it was actually a better year than a few before it.

It was better than 2018 for me. A lot of stuff I haven't gotten to yet but I really enjoyed...

1. Days Gone
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Metro Exodus
4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
5. The Division II
6. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep
7. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
8. Rage 2
9. Far Cry: New Dawn
10. Gears 5

That's sort of the order, but Destiny 2 has the most hours (400 since it went to Steam) but it's really hard to judge the new content separate from what's already there and plenty of that time was spent with what's already there.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Pretty weak year IMO. Lots of good games but not a lot of standout ones. It seems like 2020 robbed 2019 for all of its big and best games.

HE1NZ

Banned
It was a pretty good year. Most heavy hitters these days seems to schedule ealier in the year so some of them get a bit forgotten (for some reason I thought Days Gone was last year).

MiguelItUp

Really? I thought it was a pretty good year, definitely have been worse, and better ones. But hey, overall, still pretty good! This year would've been a LOT better if we got DOOM Eternal like we originally planned to. :(

2020 is going to be absolutely bananas though.

kunonabi

It was alright for me. Samurai Shodown is really good, REmake 2 was 50% great, Death Stranding was awesome from the little bit I played, and Shenmue 3 was a rousing success aside from the combat and a few other issues. Could have been much worse.

Maybe I am the only one, but I thought 2019 was pretty lackluster. I mostly played games from my backlog and I wasnt even interested in the holiday games. I have no interest in Star Wars, and Kojimas overhyped offerings have never been my cup of tea.

The only games I bought from this year was Tales of Vesperia remaster, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Sekiro and bloodstained.

2020 is shaping up to be much much better. I admit being a big fan of Miyazaki and have high hopes of Elden Ring. It's probably my most hyped game the last 5 years.
The few games I was interested in I haven’t been able to play but nothing really screamed “Must Buy!” to me. Fingers crossed 🤞 for next year!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It started out well, with stuff like REmake2, Sekiro, and Ace Combat 7.... but yeah, it fizzled out pretty quickly. I was super disappointed with Nintendo's stuff this year, too. There were definitely some great games, and I wouldn't say it was anywhere nearly as bad as say.... 2014, but it was a little lacking.

EekTheKat

There were plenty of good games in 2019 - but the few bad ones were so big and tragically bad at the same time that it seemed like they brought the whole year down with them.

I'll admit though, those bad games gave me more than a fair share of good laughs at how terrible they were. Good times were had at the various thread BBQ's of Anthem, FO76, and Breakpoint - moreso than actually playing the games themselves ever offered.

Top Bottom