• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2019 was a pretty meh year for gaming

cireza

I found it pretty good. Everything happened on Xbox One (for me), except for House of Fata Morgana on Vita and God Eater 3 on Switch.

If every year could be like this, I would be quite happy actually.

My games this year :
Dead or Alive 6
Hitman 2
FF XIII and XIII-3 on Xbox BC
Code Vein
House in Fata Morgana
Xeno Crisis on MegaDrive
Plague Tale
God Eater 3

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Death Stranding
Resident Evil 2
Kingdom Hearts 3
A plague Tale

haven't tried Days Gone Atelier Ryza or Sekiro yet

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I could have seen Last of Us 2 releasing, Days Gone doing better but I thought it was a good year overall.

DESTROYA

Great overall Nintendo had a very good lineup this year, Switch games I picked up

Astral Chain
Luigis Haunted Mansion
Fire Emblem 3 Houses
Dragons Quest XI
Atlier Ryza

Never mind cross platform

Sekiro
DMC5
Darksiders Genesis
Metro Exodus
Bloodstained
Katana Zero

And many more I’m missing.

qrgFU2l.jpg

It was a very good year.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Nah lol, I won't ever complain about the games that came out during one whole year, last two gens have been fuckin legendary, every year of them.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think it was a solid year. It didn't have any of the "elite" titles but it had a lot of depth. A lot of games I really like. RE2, Control, Star Wars, A Plague Tale, Bloodstained, The Outer Worlds, Borderlands 3, Zelda are all games I loved. Plus others I've yet to play but will soon like Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain, Death Stranding, Sekiro.

I think it was a good year. 2020 will probably have more generational titles, but maybe less overall depth, but we shall see.

Thabass

i agree. only bought Sekiro and The Division 2. hardly even touched The Division 2.

played Star Wars fallen order which was "free" as part of a subscription. it was enjoyable to run through but pretty mediocre.

opinions and stuff...

your list is mostly junk as far as i'm concerned.

Yeah you have bad opinions :p

That said, even though there's a lot of good games in there. None of them are really standouts aside from maybe RE2 Remake, Sekiro, and the Pokemon games.

Last edited:

Naibel

There were great games released this year but we were spoiled, I mean SPOILED, by 2017 and 2018 ! It was ridiculous how packed with GOTG-material games those years were ! A solid year like 2019 seems lean in comparaison.

Astral Chain, DQ XI S are easily my GOTY picks. I like Zelda and Luigi as well but not at the same level. I was mostly retro-gaming and going through my backlog this year though (thanks again 2017/2018).

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Games I finished (or am almost finished with) that released in 2019 that I really liked:
  • Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
  • Crackdown 3
  • Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Cadence of Hyrule
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2
  • The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan
  • Link's Awakening Remake
  • Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  • Oninaki
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • Atelier Ryza
  • Pokemon Sword
For me, 2019 was an amazing year for gaming. There are quite a few games that came out this year that I haven't got to yet and will be diving into deeper next year. Like Dragon Quest XI S, Resident Evil 2, Death Stranding, Goose Game, Plague Tale, Planet Zoo, and Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers.

2020 looks like it also has some great games coming out, but if you didn't find something fun to play this year, I almost feel like that's on you.

Roufianos

Yea. Star Wars and RE2 were great but nothing generation defining.

Link's Awakening, Judgement, Control and The Outer Worlds were decent.

COD, DMCV, Pokemon and Days Gone all disappointed.

Still got Death Stranding and Luigi's Mansion to try.

ITT: My list of mediocre games proves I am right and your opinion is wrong.

TBH, it's been a meh generation for games. I keep thinking back to games I really enjoyed and realised they released on the 360...

I won't be looking back at this gen with the fondness I have for previous gens. Other than Bloodborne, all I can remember is shitty mtx, shitty season passes and £97 for Borderlands 3

SantaC

Gold Member
Games I finished (or am almost finished with) that released in 2019 that I really liked:
  • Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
  • Crackdown 3
  • Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Cadence of Hyrule
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2
  • The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan
  • Link's Awakening Remake
  • Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  • Oninaki
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  • Atelier Ryza
  • Pokemon Sword
For me, 2019 was an amazing year for gaming. There are quite a few games that came out this year that I haven't got to yet and will be diving into deeper next year. Like Dragon Quest XI S, Resident Evil 2, Death Stranding, Goose Game, Plague Tale, Planet Zoo, and Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers.

2020 looks like it also has some great games coming out, but if you didn't find something fun to play this year, I almost feel like that's on you.
Your list was pretty decent until I saw Crackdown 3.

images

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Your list was pretty decent until I saw Crackdown 3.

images
I unironically enjoyed Crackdown 3. It wasn't my favorite game of 2019 by any stretch of the imagination, but the campaign was fun and it reminded me of the first game (which I also really liked). I didn't play any of the multiplayer, didn't buy into the "power of the cloud" nonsense they were pushing, but yeah I enjoyed it for what it was.

I also agree, I’ve only enjoyed Jedi fallen order this year.

I picked up control but I’m not sold on it yet. I’ll give it another session to see how I feel about it but mostly I think I’m not in love with the setting and have never been a big fan of creepy / horror stuff which is probably where it’s losing me because the basic gameplay premise I really like along with the destructive environments.
2020 is shaping up to be huge and I’m looking forward to many games to be released next year :D

Hinedorf

Banned
Compared to last year I tend to agree. Although I will say 2018 had more quantity of great titles, this year has brought me some new loves that I consider better than last year.

1. Mordhau has absolutely taken a stronghold in my life as just about the only game I'm playing anymore. I so very much want to get more invested in Death Stranding but I just cannot get enough Mordhau from the time I get home till bed. I quickly reached a 300+ hour mark for play time.

2. Death Stranding is my personal GOTY and I likely wont play the bulk of it till 2020.

3. Crossroads Inn - Steam game with a pretty fantastic story, good comedy, basically you build your own tavern/inn while following a pretty cool story. Still a bit buggy but has improved recently. This little gem brings me tons of joy just as a micromanagement sim

4. Tropico 6 - One of my all time favorite game series to me it felt like they increased the difficult significantly. Tropico 4, 5, 6 are all fantastic

Biggest meh moment for me this year was Red Dead Online. Once you play enough of it you realize it's a hollow existence of a game that stands to serve as a reminder how ripped off we all are compared to just getting DLC in the primary game. Everything in RDO could've seamlessly been translated to Arthur or even John, instead it's all built around Rockstar paywall.

Last edited:
I feel like this year saw more good games than usual but very few great games, so it was kind of mediocre in that way. On the other hand it was a great year for PC gaming, as there were many ports of amazing (former) console exclusives.

I do feel like it was a step down from recent years which were quite good. Not a trash year but not a standout one either. Still some great stuff and I haven't played some of the big games yet.

But some of those big games just don't suit me - Star Wars is so dead to me after everything that's happened that I just can't care about Fallen Order. And I enjoyed Sekiro, but I usually enjoy Souls games for years and years murdering other players online, so the lack of multiplayer makes the pleasure a relatively short lived one for me. Outer Worlds really fizzled out for me, I thought it was gonna be like a much better Fallout, but it ended up being mostly a chore with some good moments.

Going to try and squeeze in some more of the big games like RE2 and Disco Elysium and hope I like them, or my top 10 list for 2019 is just gonna be moderately budgeted 8/10 style Nintendo Switch games.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I found it pretty great.

One of the best gaming years in my life.

Death Stranding alone put this year above others years.
Plus Sekiro, Control, Borderland 3, Destiny 2 Shadow Keep, Days Gone, Resident Evil 2, more games games and games.

Last edited:

Pidull

2019 had a lot of really good games, but I feel like it missed in terms of true excellence. There is something for everyone but this is the first year in a while where I haven't thought 1 or more games were head and shoulders above the rest.

Highlights for me included RE2 and Control, but RE2 is not quite RE4 in terms of gameplay variety (2nd best in the series IMO), and Control is not even close to the pinnacle of Metroid-likes.

Next year should be nuts though. February through April? I almost want to quit my job.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Agreed that 2019 was the worst year for gaming since 2014, easily. There were some good games but nothing that really left a mark (although I still haven’t played Disco, it doesn’t look like my cup of tea).

Last edited:

Doom85

I had a good-excellent time with RE2 REmake, Days Gone, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Control, River City Girls, Borderlands 3, Man of Medan, Death Stranding, Pokemon Sword, and Jedi: Fallen Order. Haven't even gotten around to Kingdom Hearts 3, Devil May Cry 5, Astral Chain, Code Vein, Link's Awakening, Yoshi's Crafted World, Daemon x Machina, Plague Tale, Outer Worlds, Atelier Ryza, Greedfall, etc.

I'm not saying 2020 might not be better (RE 3, Last of Us 2, FF VIIR, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, Watch Dogs Legion, etc.) but 2019 still brought me a lot of fun and there's a ton from the year I haven't even had a chance to try out.

Griffon

It was an alright year, far from worst but not the best either.
It's always telling about a particular year when my favorite discoveries are old games (Diablo 1 was the big one for me).

RE2 was very good and Sekiro was nice, but I had pretty notable gameplay gripes about both. And then the rest of the year was super barren imo. We have had much better in the past (but also worse, to be fair).

epic game store civil war on pc, microtransaction bonanza troubles and downfall of a studio named "Bethesda"

Games are okay

Last edited:

Belmonte

2019 was one of the best years in this decade for me. Lots of gameplay focused titles like Sekiro, RE2 and DMCV instead of cinematic experiences.

Terenty

What outstanding games came out in 2018?

God of war? No. Spider man? No. Fallout 76? No. Asscreed? No. Detroit become human? No.

The only good game worth buyng was Rdr 2.

Last edited:

God of war? No. Spider man? No. Fallout 76? No. Asscreed? No. Detroit become human? No.

So tell me what games were so great in 2018 so that 2019 is total shit in comparison
Is this satire? Did you mistake the years with each other? Something is up with your post, but I can't put my finger on it.

Lanrutcon

Horse Pooping Simulator 2018 was this man's GOTY.

I smell a fetish.

mejin

2019 was a solid year imo. maybe 1st half was a bit better, but overall a good year. The only year I felt it was underwhelming was 2014.

2020 will definitely be better. the transition of gen for playstation is always nuts, almost like the whole industry works hard to bring their best to the table.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
How did you come to this conclusion?

Elden Ring
Cyberpunk
FF7R
Tales of Arise
REmake 3
Nioh 2
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Biomutant
NMH3
Maybe YS9
Maybe the new Zelda

You have 2 "maybe" releases on your list. :)
Surely 2020 can't be judged until 2020 is actually well underway?
Also, Isn't this a really subjective thing?

I think the best way to judge a year in gaming might be to judge by the amount of money being made.
Realistically for every person saying "there are only 4 games I really liked" you are going to have someone else who has a list of like 20 games they loved.

One thing I feel like I've noticed about 2019 is that there seemed to be a lot less "hype" surrounding the entire industry.
Sony pulled out of E3 and their marketing of their own exclusive games has been very lackluster.
I don't know if this is because the next generation is coming up and large parts of the industry are changing their focus already?

There are plenty of great games but everyone is starting to look ahead to the new consoles.

Even a widely hyped up game like The Last of Us 2 comes with a conversation about whether it will be cross-generation or if they will have an enhanced PS5 edition at some point etc. So there is a kind of built in hesitancy about everything leading up to the next gen.

Typhares

So far I would agree with OP.

My favorite games so far are Katana Zero and Bloodstained probably. (And Obra Dinn but that's a 2018 game played this year)

I have not touched Death Stranding or outer worlds yet.
Resi 2 was good but I'm not a massive fan either, played the story once and I have enough.
I did not enjoy Control, fallen order or KHIII much.
Gonna play Luigi's mansion 3 soon, I think that will be quite good.

Borderlands 3 could have been a great one for me but I'm waiting for Steam release.

IKSTUGA

One of my favorite years in a long time. I love Japanese games and 2019 most definitely delivered on those. DMC, RE, Mario, FE, Zelda, Pokemon, FF, Tales, DQ, Astral Chain...

Last edited:
Top Bottom