• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Draft |OT| The Resurrection of the Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Well now.. turns out Larry Nance is a Kobe-Stan and was just making a shitty sarcastic joke. Dude is on the Mamba's jock harder than me... Wat

http://i.imgur.com/l9r8vus.png
http://i.imgur.com/QXTgweW.png
http://i.imgur.com/TfStGTo.png

Credit to Lakersground for finding it.

Now why do I get this feeling that the media and many basketball fans who like artificial drama will pretend like this wasn't just an obviously poor tasteless joke and continues to believe that the guy was really going after Kobe, whom he clearly adores...

Charlotte's front office would just like to fast forward through the next couple of days

Bill Simmons @BllSimmons 10m
"And Justise for All" (@30for30 ad): "What if I told you Michael Jordan passed up Boston's mega-Godfather offer for... Frank Kaminsky?"

BadAss2961

victoria ‏@CountOnVic 13h13 hours ago
Knicks fans should walk behind Phil Jackson
Shame ��
Shame ��
Shame ��
Shame ��

XKvO3m4.png
lol
Charlotte's front office would just like to fast forward through the next couple of days

What did Boston offer?

Bowser

Simmons is full of shit. Mega-godfather offer my ass. Boston was probably offering 16 and 28 or Sullinger for Charlotte's pick. No one would think that's a "mega-godfather" offer.

Grades from the article, and some of the capsules (there's one for every team in the article, click to read them all)

Atlanta C-
Boston B
Brooklyn A-
Charlotte C+

Kaminsky was sort of a love or hate prospect for NBA scouts. I sat somewhere in the middle. If the Hornets drafted Kaminsky thinking he would be a nice replacement for Josh McRoberts -- a playmaking, stretch 4 -- then I think they'll be happy. They really missed what McRoberts brought to the table and while Kaminsky isn't the athlete McRoberts was, he's a better shooter. If they're expecting more than that, I think they'll be disappointed. They get knocked down a grade because they passed on a superior prospect in Justise Winslow. Even though Winslow wasn't as great of a fit as Kaminsky (he duplicates a lot of what Michael Kidd-Gilchrist brings to the table), Winslow is such a talent, I think you take him and figure it out later. The Hornets got future second-rounders from the Nets in 2018 and 2019 in return for Vaulet.

Chicago B
Cleveland B-
Dallas B
Denver A
Detroit C

The Pistons had a major hole to fill at the small forward spot and were determined to draft for need over talent. They wanted a wing who could shoot, defend and, most importantly, play right now. I just believe they drafted the wrong guy. As I noted in my Winners and Losers column, I think the Pistons drafted a guy who looks the part over someone who is the part. Johnson has a NBA body and a great reputation as a winner. But in almost every way, Winslow is the superior player. He's a better athlete, has a better motor, plays with more grit and even shoots it better when he gets his feet set. Johnson is bigger and a better shooter off the bounce. But I think in a few years this draft will look a bit like the Rockets selecting Marcus Morris ahead of Kawhi Leonard. As for Hilliard, he's a crafty scorer and a good shooter, but he's not a great athlete. He, too, was a bit of a reach at No. 38 with players like Joseph Young and Olivier Hanlan on the board.

Golden State A
Houston A-
Indiana B
LA Clippers A
LA Lakers B+
Memphis B-
Miami A+

Winslow landing at No. 10 reminds me a lot of when Kawhi Leonard fell to the Spurs at No. 15 in 2011. Some things are meant to be for both player and team. Winslow is a perfect fit, as a player and a person, into the culture Pat Riley has built in Miami. He'll not only thrive there as a player, he'll have a chance to win now surrounded by Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Goran Dragic. While Winslow isn't the type of player that carries a team offensively, he's the glue guy who makes everyone better, does all the little things, and plays with toughness. He has a high basketball IQ and is relentless at working on his game and getting better. I think he could be a Leonard-type player someday. Richardson is a versatile, athletic guard who can play the 1 and the 2. He was another draft sleeper for me. The Heat just seriously upgraded their wings.

Milwaukee B
Minnesota A
New Orleans B
New York A-
Oklahoma City B+
Orlando A
Philadelphia B-
Phoenix B
Portland B-
Sacramento B-
San Antonio C
Toronto B
Utah B+
Washington A-

Jon

Hinkie just had his press conference and gave some comments about Embiid. It sounds ominous, to say the least, but they will know more after another checkup in a week with Bob Anderson in Charlotte. I would not be surprised if he has another surgery and then the logjam in the frontcourt is delayed one more year for the Sixers.

nillapuddin

#BBN

At one point last night, there were 5 UK players on the Suns

Andrew, Archie, Bledsoe, Brandon and Devin

That woulda been awesome.

Memphis is gunna love Andrew, I bet he has a long NBA career as a backup PG.

Devin is going to do great in Phoenix with those PG's

Lyles to the Jazz, I know absolutely nothing about them. Hopefully they are good?

WCS and Cousins, I hope they can stay together, the UK fan boost will be crazy.

Dakari to the Thunder, I have no idea how he fits into that mix, I hope he can do his thing (be big and tall) there a few minutes every now and again.

Karl is an absolute stud that will perform at a high level for a long long time. His BB IQ, character, work ethic, etc etc is off the charts.

I am so sad for Aaron :(

So what's the deal with Kevon Looney? Seems like he's got a big red flag medical wise but all the analyst call this a good pick. I haven't paid attention to college ball this year.

Bowser

So what's the deal with Kevon Looney? Seems like he's got a big red flag medical wise but all the analyst call this a good pick. I haven't paid attention to college ball this year.

Apparently he dropped because some teams think he may have a degenerative back issue that will require surgery.

Bowser

Trying to talk myself into Frank the Tank. Both Pelton and Draft Express' Mike Schmitz are high on him.

Pelton had him ranked as the 7th best prospect based on analytics:

7. Frank Kaminsky, C, Wisconsin

Consensus: 2.4 WARP | Big Board: 14 | WARP: 5

While age has historically been an important factor in draft prospects' potential, consider Kaminsky exhibit A that seniors can rate well, too. His 2.7 WARP projection is the best for a senior since Draymond Green (2.8) and Jae Crowder (2.7) in 2012.

Schmitz said:

Mike Schmitz ‏@Mike_Schmitz 15h15 hours ago
Frank 1 of the most NBA-ready players in the draft. Big fan. 7' 1" shoots, puts it down, handles, passes.

Mike Schmitz ‏@Mike_Schmitz 15h15 hours ago
Kaminsky is very underrated as a perimeter defender. Will be best at the 4 IMO. Will guard P/R. Gets knocked because he's goofy. Seriously.

pls pan out frank

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Well hot Damn, this Anthony Brown kid might be a real steal. Watching his highlights, scouting reports, and history has impressed me. I think I like him more than Justin Anderson actually. heh

Defensive potential
Great shooter
Athletic
Smart
Passes well
decent Handles
Life long Laker fan

Might just bump my grade for the Lakes tonight from a B+ to A-

Cagey

Banned
"He's really awkward. It's looks like he's playing QWOP."

- Friend rubbing it in to me after the Knicks picked Porzingis.

Fjordson

He is a pretty nice pick. 6-9, long wingspan, can hit threes and rebound. Does some things similar to Draymond (though he's not as strong or on that tier as a defender). Can guard multiple positions and could fit in well.

But yeah, he's got a back issue that will probably need surgery, so we just have to hope he can come back from that.

I agree. He sort of reminds me of Bynum, interestingly enough.

He looked bummed because he went to a shit team that only cares about maximizing his trade value and not about actually winning. I think it's a bit early to start comparing him to Bynum. And yes, learning that you're going to Philly instead of LA doesn't help much either.

Bowser

CIcG0oiUcAEXSTq.png

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 8m8 minutes ago
Zach Lowe retweeted Ben Swanson
This is true. CHA turned down a major haul for No. 9, BOS was going full throttle for Winslow, per sources.

image2.gif

He is a pretty nice pick. 6-9, long wingspan, can hit threes and rebound. Does some things similar to Draymond (though he's not as strong or on that tier as a defender). Can guard multiple positions and could fit in well.

But yeah, he's got a back issue that will probably need surgery, so we just have to hope he can come back from that.

Apparently he dropped because some teams think he may have a degenerative back issue that will require surgery.

That explains why he looked so stiff and "frankenstein" like during the draft. Honestly on that impression alone, I didn't like what I saw but again I don't know shit to make a decision one way or another (plus it's not like we actually need him- he'll be fighting for a roster spot). Hopefully, he got the Jerry West seal of approval.

PBY

Banned
CIcG0oiUcAEXSTq.png

This is true. CHA turned down a major haul for No. 9, BOS was going full throttle for Winslow, per sources.

image2.gif

LOL HEAT FAM SO LUCKY

SO TO FRANK THE TANK COMMANDER

CIcG0oiUcAEXSTq.png

image2.gif

Wow. Presumably that means at least #16 from this year's draft, plus an unprotected Nets 1st rounder, and the Hornets turned it down?

flabbergasted.gif

Bowser

Although I do wonder how much those unprotected Nets picks are worth...given that the Nets know they can't tank, I get the sense they're never going to blow it up and will just perpetually chase the 7th/8th spot in the East playoffs, meaning those picks are always gonna fall around 15-16.

*keeps talking himself into Frank the Tank*

Frank Kaminsky, 7’1” center, Wisconsin: “He’s a rare senior with upside. He has shown he can improve year by year, which leads you to believe he can develop even more. People ask if he’s athletic enough. He measured 7'1/2" in Chicago. How athletic do you have to be? I love that kid. He’s a matchup nightmare. His ballhandling separates him from most bigs. You’re going to be able to do so many unique things with him. He’s odd in a very good way. You just don’t see guys like that every day.”

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...orts-jahlil-okafor-karl-towns-emmanuel-mudiay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom