• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(1up) TGS - Best of Show Awards

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3143931&did=1

Game of the Show - Metal Gear Solid 4

1up said:
Yes, everyone in the media made a solemn promise after E3 2000 never again to give a trailer "Best of Show." We couldn't help it then, with the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo looking so amazing -- and sad to say, we're just as helpless now in the face of its PlayStation 3 sequel. Even if creator Hideo Kojima hadn't taken the time to prove that those spectacular visuals are the real thing (a nagging issue that tainted the otherwise impressive PS3 demos shown at this year's E3), we'd still have been blown away by the sense of realism, the cheekily self-aware humor and the epic scope of his next-gen effort. Snake may be looking old these days, but Metal Gear Solid is -- once again -- the new hotness. That makes it our favorite PS3 demo and game of the show.

Meanwhile, quirky PSP action game Loco Roco won a best-in-show nod from several editors for its addictive take on a not-quite-new idea. And Level 5's Rogue Galaxy completed the Sony trifecta, impressing us with its True Fantasy Online aesthetic on PS2 hardware.

Runners Up:
Loco Roco (PSP)
Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
Okami (PS2)
Dead or Alive 4 (X360)

Best PS2 Game - Rogue Galaxy

Runners Up:
Ryuu ga Gotoku
Shadow of the Colossus
Rhapsodia
Okami

Best Xbox Game - Ninja Gaiden Black

Runners Up:
King Kong
Sonic Riders
Shadow the Hedgehog

Best Xbox 360 Game - Ninety-Nine Nights

Runners Up:
Gears of War
Ridge Racer 6
Dead or Alive 4
Sonic the Hedgehog

Best Gamecube Game - Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble

Runners Up:
Naruto 4
Baten Kaitos II
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Riders

Best PC Game - Hellgate: London

Runners Up:
Fahrenheit
Ragnarok 2 Online
Tokimeki Memorial Online

Best DS Game - Dragon Quest: Slime Mori Mori 2

Runners Up:
Phoenix Wright
Bleach DS
Where Do Babies Come From?
Monkey Ball DS

Best PSP Game - Loco Roco

Runners Up:
Princess Crown
My My Katamari
Rockman Rockman
Extreme Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Best GBA Game - Gunstar Super Heroes

Runners Up:
Mega Man Zero 4
Kunio-Kun Collection 2
Boktai 3
Mega Man Zero 4

Amir0x

Banned
In before debate about how only playable titles should be eligible.

(As an aside: :lol about Shadow the Hedgehog being third runner up for best Xbox game. Not a lot of games to choose from. Gamecube barely even showed, and Shadow is on there too...)

Amir0x

Banned
Oh God, does anyone have a preview for Princess Crown? I forgot totally that the game was at TGS...

Edit: How did 99 Nights get best Xbox360 game, but Dead or Alive 360 got runner up for game of the show but not 99 Nights?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Amir0x said:
Oh God, does anyone have a preview for Princess Crown? I forgot totally that the game was at TGS...

Has there been anything released on the PSP version yet? It`s supposed to come out in a few days, too...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I can't believe 99-Nights got 360 game of show. The videos look unbelievably dull it must be different while playing it.

Amir0x said:
Edit: How did 99 Nights get best Xbox360 game, but Dead or Alive 360 got runner up for game of the show but not 99 Nights?

Game of the Show category winners not eligible for console-specific awards, I assume? MGS4 wasn't in the PS3 category, either.

Amir0x

Banned
Greenpanda said:
Game of the Show category winners not eligible for console-specific awards, I assume? MGS4 wasn't in the PS3 category, either.

Ah yes, durr. That makes sense, thanks.

Lyte Edge said:
Has there been anything released on the PSP version yet? It`s supposed to come out in a few days, too...

Just read the 1up preview a second ago. It says that it has widescreen, but the game is framed or something like a picture now. Also there's a "gallery" mode, which I guess just means you unlock artwork. They say it still ranks among the most gorgeous 2D ever produced. They said Atlus US is looking to bring it over, but no word yet.

Troidal

Am I mistaken or didn't people like Dynasty Warriors?

N3 is just like DW except it looks and plays better. They just need to iron out the framerate and animation, but IMO this is by far the best game that has a mix of DW gameplay and fantasy elements.

Greenpanda said:

1) There is no PS3 category

2) All of the games other than MGS4 are in their respective platform awards.

The presumption would be that folks voted for best of show. Maybe 1 person voted for DOA4 out of everbody. But, when the votes from everybody came for the top 360 game, more of the editors voted for 99 Nights than anything else.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Troidal said:
Am I mistaken or didn't people like Dynasty Warriors?

N3 is just like DW except it looks and plays better. They just need to iron out the framerate and animation, but IMO this is by far the best game that has a mix of DW gameplay and fantasy elements.

I definitely wouldn't draw that conclusion from what I saw.

DCharlie

Banned
DOA4 was there??!

I didn't see it on the Tecmo or the X360 stand.... (unless we are talking about video presentations again...)

"That makes it our favorite PS3 demo and game of the show."

*tips over magazine rack domino rally*

DCharlie said:
DOA4 was there??!

I didn't see it on the Tecmo or the X360 stand.... (unless we are talking about video presentations again...)

Maybe some of the folks from 1up have more access than you?? or maybe they voted based on publically available vids (they did for MGS4 ;) )

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
sonycowboy said:
Best PC Game - Hellgate: London

Runners Up:
Fahrenheit
Ragnarok 2 Online
Tokimeki Memorial Online

Ew, just ew. I don't care how popular the series, or the genre is in Japan. Tokimemo is just wrong in a wholeheartedly creepy, "please don't touch me" sort of way.

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
Maybe some of the folks from 1up have more access than you?? or maybe they voted based on publically available vids (they did for MGS4 ;) )

Tecmo was showing off the game playable after hours to a select list after TGS closed for the day. I've watched some videos from this event. Game looks smoking hot. :D

Looks like DCharlie doesn't have the insider pull to get in. ;)

DCharlie

Banned
"Tecmo was showing off the game playable to a select list after TGS closed for the day. I've watched some videos from this event. Game looks smoking hot.

Looks like DCharlie doesn't have the insider pull to get in. ;)"

ha ha - i was too busy snorting coke of a models back to care whilst jacking off to the MGS4 trailer. (actually, that's a lie... it was the Sonic trailer, but i digress)

well, that's great - so how is it in the X360 list for best game on X360 at TGS if the only people who got to play it were the insiders invited back doors?

Does that mean Metroid Prime 2 Revolution could be game of the show then?

Bebpo

Banned
How the hell did Rhapsodia (aka. Suikoden Tactics) get in the runners up for Best of PS2? Is it possible that the game is actually good!? I refuse to believe this :p

Amir0x said:
In before debate about how only playable titles should be eligible.

I said it before and I'll say it again...it's like giving the Best Picture Academy Award to a movie trailer instead of a movie. Ah well, I know I'm in the minority. At least, I would expect them to create an Event of TGS award for this kind of thing.

Amir0x

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
I said it before and I'll say it again...it's like giving the Best Picture Academy Award to a movie trailer instead of a movie. Ah well, I know I'm in the minority. At least, I would expect them to create an Event of TGS award for this kind of thing.

Ok, that I cannot agree with. It's not like that at all because almost everything on display is a "work-in-progress", and nobody gets to play the entire game on the show floor. Everything essentially amounts to a preview - whether it's in video form or playable form. In this case they decided the best preview was a trailer. Academy Award members get to view movies in their entirety and form their opinions. If they did it based on a trailer and gave it the award, now that would be truly outrageous.

Not that I agree MGS4 should win "Game of the Show", I just think your analogy is poor.

MightyHedgehog said:
Its not like they got to play full versions of the games at TGS. It'd be like giving an academy award for 1 scene in a movie. And if someone puts tons of time into a great demo that turns out to be a shit game, while someone else can't put tons of time into a great demo because they are trying to get a great game out on a deadline, what does that prove?

beaten. regardless, MGS4 by all accounts, stole the show. The Rev controller announcement was big, but its hardware, not software.

Greenpanda said:
(1) there is no PS3 category
(2) the PSP game and one of the PS2 games in there won their respective categories...

Amir0x said:
Ok, that I cannot agree with. It's not like that at all because almost everything on display is a "work-in-progress", and nobody gets to play the entire game on the show floor. Everything essentially amounts to a preview - whether it's in video form or playable form. Academy Award members get to view movies in their entirety and form their opinions. If they did it based on a trailer and gave it the award, now that would be truly outrageous.

Sure, just about everything shown at an industry show like TGS or E3 is a WIP...otherwise, it's generally out the door and at a friendly retailer near you. My point is that giving a game of the show award to something you haven't even played is poor in general. Certainly, a playable demo can fool like a movie can, but one lets you actually interact with it...seeing how the visual feedback responds to your control. At least, that's how I view it and it's a more realistically honest way to present an interactive work.
Not that I agree MGS4 should win "Game of the Show", I just think your analogy is poor.

Yeah, it's not the best, but for the sake of being terse and getting a message across more simply, it's the best I can come up with.

Amir0x

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Sure, just about everything shown at an industry show like TGS or E3 is a WIP...otherwise, it's generally out the door and at a friendly retailer near you. My point is that giving a game of the show award to something you haven't even played is poor in general. Certainly, a playable demo can fool like a movie can, but one lets you actually interact with it...seeing how the visual feedback responds to your control. At least, that's how I view it.

Naturally, playable has a lot of advantages. Which is why some could make a case that when a trailer "steals the show" it must be REALLY great, and imply great things. Which I'm sure you'll agree MGS4 does. Just to continue playing Devil's Advocate here for a moment, Kojima did manipulate the visuals in real-time which gives it just a tiny bit better advantage over a mere trailer.

MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah it's not the best, but for the sake of being terse and getting a message across more simply, it's the best I can come up with.

I understand. Personally, there's too many variables for me to give any trailer GAME OF THE SHOW. There's so much information that we simply don't get from a non-gameplay trailer that I cannot endorse the prize, because who knows how the final game will turn out. Can be an egg-in-your-face type of prize, if the end result differs in any significant way.

In the end, though, there's cases to be made for both viewpoints. So I don't think we should be extreme about it. I think a good middle ground would be "Event of the Show" like JackFrost thought up, but no use focusing on it.

Guy LeDouche said:
Its not like they got to play full versions of the games at TGS. It'd be like giving an academy award for 1 scene in a movie. And if someone puts tons of time into a great demo that turns out to be a shit game, while someone else can't put tons of time into a great demo because they are trying to get a great game out on a deadline, what does that prove?

Yeah, it's a real strain to push for a demo in the middle of the full game's development...I understand that...I really do. But my point is that a Game of the Show award should not go to something that wasn't playable. Just give it an Event/Movie/Trailer of the Show award instead. Does this mean that MGS4 will be in the running for GotS awards for every single game show between now and its probable release in late 2007 because they can pull out an amazing-looking trailer for each event? Anyway, never mind me...

----

Banned
I don't really agree with any of those choices. Ninety Nine Nights was one of the worst looking Xbox 360 games. I know this by getting footage from Gamespot, IGN, and Xboxyde. Kameo doesn't even make it into their runners up list? Did they not get a private meeting or something? Loco Roco looks like a complete ripoff of that indie game for the PC called "Gish." Even 1UP is embarassed that they picked a non-playable game trailer as best game. Make a seperate category if you want to give it props. DOA4 is the only XB360 game as runner up for best game of show yet N3 wins best Xbox 360 game. That doesn't make sense. Someone please explain.

1UP's coverage sucked. Whatever camera they were using to record video was pathetic. It was so dark and grainy I couldn't see anything. They should get Ziff Davis to pay for better equipment if they think they're ever going to be able to compete with IGN and Gamespot. Hell look at what BlimBlim's little fan site is doing with video, BlimBlim totally embarassed 1UP.

Amir0x

Banned
---- said:
I don't really agree with any of those choices. Ninety Nine Nights was one of the worst looking Xbox 360 games. I know this by getting footage from Gamespot, IGN, and Xboxyde. Kameo doesn't even make it into their runners up list? Did they not get a private meeting or something? Loco Roco looks like a complete ripoff of that indie game for the PC called "Gish." Even 1UP is embarassed that they picked a non-playable game trailer as best game. Make a seperate category if you want to give it props. DOA4 is the only XB360 game as runner up for best game of show yet N3 wins best Xbox 360 game. That doesn't make sense. Someone please explain.

Almost every single person here at GAF that attended TGS agreed that Loco Roco was fucking amazing, and a runner in for game of the show.

Amir0x said:
Naturally, playable has a lot of advantages. Which is why some could make a case that when a trailer "steals the show" it must be REALLY great, and imply great things. Which I'm sure you'll agree MGS4 does.

Well, the strongest hype comes from those things that haven't been fully seen...as the unknown elements can be easily extended in one's mind if the feeling generated from what is known is very positive or negative. And I do agree that MGS4 did steal the show as the single most standout event there (that I know of)...but it's still just a pretty movie at this point. ;p Anyway, to jump off of my nit-picky soapbox...I'm sure that the game will be of high quality, as with other Kojima titles.

Just to continue playing Devil's Advocate here for a moment, Kojima did manipulate the visuals in real-time which gives it just a tiny bit better advantage over a mere trailer.

I don't see how...I could pull up any real-time animatic and manipulate the camera position and other elements of a scene and actors...but it still wouldn't give me any idea of how the game actually plays...just that the hardware is running it in real-time. Anyway, no more nit-picky for me on this subject.

Amir0x

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Well, the strongest hype comes from those things that haven't been fully seen...as the unknown elements can be easily extended in one's mind if the feeling generated from what is known is very positive or negative. And I do agree that MGS4 did steal the show as the single most standout event there (that I know of)...but it's still just a pretty movie at this point. ;p Anyway, to jump off of my nit-picky soapbox...I'm sure that the game will be of high quality, as with other Kojima titles.

Sure.

MightyHedgehog said:
I don't see how...I could pull up any real-time animatic and manipulate the camera position and other elements of a scene and actors...but it still wouldn't give me any idea of how the game actually plays...just that the hardware is running it in real-time. Anyway, no more nit-picky for me on this subject.

A typical trailer is totally non-interactive. Kojima proved he could interact with it, thus giving it a slight edge over a regular trailer. Not much, but slight.

Amir0x

Banned
skip said:
wow. I can't believe how fucking seriously some of you guys are taking this shit.

The typical response is "Duh, it's GAF." But this time I'll go the non-traditional route and say "Did you guys do anything for the MGS4 trailer yet? :("

skip said:
wow. I can't believe how fucking seriously some of you guys are taking this shit.

Who said anyone did? :) It's a good place to argue and just spout off...if I ever really get serious on this forum, I'd demand a competitive salary first.

DCharlie

Banned
"Loco Roco looks like a complete ripoff of that indie game for the PC called "Gish." "

i actually played Gish last night, and i really liked it. Some ideas are a little similar, but on the whole, the games are quite different with the method of control being the big difference.

skip

Amir0x said:
just because of this G4 thing, huh?

could be a combo of G4 and some weird reasoning/attitudes on Konami JPN's part. it's all very confusing (not to mention grief-inducing).

Amir0x

Banned
skip said:
could be a combo of G4 and some weird reasoning/attitudes on Konami JPN's part. it's all very confusing (not to mention grief-inducing).

Yah. Just seems like a missed opportunity for more hyperbolic fanboy gushing. I'd like to gush more :p

DCharlie

Banned
when you see it running in all it's glory, in person, you're thighs will explode with delight...

It's a very very impressive _trailer_

Top Bottom