• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Films To See In November (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will see...

2012- I know a lot of people think it looks stupid, but shit like this is great to see on the big-screen. Should be fun.

The Road- Looks scary and depressing. I just saw the trailer for it a few hours ago and it looks like it could be good.

Men Who Stare At Goats- This thread is the first I have ever heard of it. Sounds pretty original.

I might see The Box, but I was under the impression it was just an extra-long Twilight Zone episode. One of my favorite ones, but doubt I will see in the theater.

killertofu said:
Yeah, the thing is... I LOVED the Road. Just the feel, the imagery. Even though there was a lot of nothing...McCarthy just had a way with words. That's why I'm not sure if that can be captured on screen you know?

If it makes you feel better Cormac McCarthy said he loved the film.

itsgreen said:
bs. because it is popular it is bad. I would say put on your dark eye shade and do emo stuff, but that seems the Twilight audience...

The first one was pretty cool. And the chick was hot. Action was pretty nice also.
The reason the "elitists" who piss on the movies you like do so is because they're dumb. A group of people who have just seen the Road are likely going to have a conversation about how they appreciated the film rather than whether or not they liked it or not. They could talk at length about the way scenes are set, how the producers managed to convey the novel's bleakness, how they felt watching, plus have any of the conversations and debates about the plot that you'd have reading the book.

All you can say about a movie you're looking forward to is "It had a hot chick and pretty good action. More please."

Films like that can be enjoyable, but they're just dumb fun, which is fine, everyone can enjoy something like that now and again, and since they're more of just a way to chill for a couple hours and be wowed by special effects it seems pretty natural that they'll be more popular since you know going in you're not going to spend time later thinking about and coming to a conclusion about how you feel about it, but I don't see why admitting that you prefer spending your time with something more substantial makes you an elitist.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
DanielPlainview said:
I was at the NA premiere of The Road (at TIFF) and it got a standing ovation. That was the only film out of the 30 I saw that received that. Since then it has gotten overly positive reviews. A few people didn't like it but that's about it.
It's not hard to give a film a standing ovation. It just takes one person and 10 others will follow.:lol

El Papa

Count Dookkake said:
Yes.

Great flick. Saw it a few weeks ago at a fest. Watched it again last night. Holds up to repeat viewings. It should also be available VOD.

A near perfect recreation of 80s 'satanic panic.' Tom Noonan is really creepy. Long portions of the film go with almost no dialogue. Good score and pop selections.
Awsome. Gonna put this on my November watch list. Thanks. :)

Salazar said:
Cormac McCarthy on Proust.

Fuck him.

To be fair, his reasoning for saying that is internally consistent. I don't agree with it, but it's not as though he said that Proust is a poor writer; he simply doesn't like it when authors that don't tackle issues of life and death.

shintoki said:
It's not hard to give a film a standing ovation. It just takes one person and 10 others will follow.:lol
I'm just saying. I saw 25 other films there and no one else got one. In 2008 Slumdog Millionaire got a huge one.

Daniel, I like coming into these threads to see what is coming up and you put a lot of work into them, but if you're going to put up a synopsis that only recognizes the last names of people, the least you could do is include a link to the IMDB or Wiki page, so we can figure out who they hell you're talking about in X role. It's just super confusing to be all "um, what actor could this be?" especially if you mention their name but they aren't in the picture you link.

Thanks.

Skiptastic said:
Daniel, I like coming into these threads to see what is coming up and you put a lot of work into them, but if you're going to put up a synopsis that only recognizes the last names of people, the least you could do is include a link to the IMDB or Wiki page, so we can figure out who they hell you're talking about in X role. It's just super confusing to be all "um, what actor could this be?" especially if you mention their name but they aren't in the picture you link.

Thanks.

Yes, I grab the synopsis off IMDB, I'll put a link to the page next time.

kaskade

I want to see A Christmas Carol in 3-D looks pretty good. As for 2012, I want to see that also, as long as the special effects keep delivering I'll be happy. It just looks like a good theater movie.

Takuan

I want to see Women in Trouble for the slim chance Emanuelle Chriqui (Sloan from Entourage) shows her boobs. :lol

Takuan said:
I want to see Women in Trouble for the slim chance Emanuelle Chriqui (Sloan from Entourage) shows her boobs. :lol
Did not see she was in this. This should now be the number one film on the to see list. :lol

Blader5489 said:
2008_the_road_006-590x395.jpg

Is that Omar?

I think The Road is the only one I'm really anticipating, and maybe The Men Who Stare at Goats, and Fantastic Mr. Fox. Not too sure about Precious; it sure has been receiving a hell of a lot of buzz, but it looks like Oscar bait to me.

Reminds me of a little bit from Left 4 Dead :lol

But seriously, there's alot of great films coming out this November :)

Takuan

DanielPlainview said:
Did not see she was in this. This should now be the number one film on the to see list. :lol
I recognized her from the pic the OP used, then checked IMDB to confirmed. She plays "Bambi". Me rikey velly much.

Captain N

DanielPlainview said:
I'm just saying. I saw 25 other films there and no one else got one. In 2008 Slumdog Millionaire got a huge one.

I don't understand that one, but that's for another topic and another thing I can't understand is what people like about PA. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

based on the trailer The Road does look good and as for your list..I can't say I am excited for The Box.

KAOz

Short bus special
Raydeen said:
Harry Brown

http://www.harrybrownthemovie.co.uk/

Michael Caine has enough of the chav thugs on his estate so takes matters into his own hands.

I'm itching to see this one. I can't wait for it to come out, so I can watch the "King of Cool" kicking some ass again.

Really can't wait. This is probably the biggest movie of November for me. :lol

Love how that poster resembles one of the Get Carter posters aswell.

Captain N said:
I don't understand that one, but that's for another topic and another thing I can't understand is what people like about PA. Maybe someone can explain that to me.

based on the trailer The Road does look good and as for your list..I can't say I am excited for The Box.

I'm really excited to see The Box tonight. I though Paranormal Activity did a great job at building tension. What didn't you like about it?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
DanielPlainview said:
I'm really excited to see The Box tonight. I though Paranormal Activity did a great job at building tension. What didn't you like about it?

I didn't even think the tension was built all that well. There was a point where I can't remember where it broke off believability but since that happened, it took me out of the film. Also, I only jumped twice but they were just surprised scares and I slept easy that night.

mjc

I might go see The Road...everything else is iffy at best. Should I read The Road first or wait until after I see the movie?

mjc said:
I might go see The Road...everything else is iffy at best. Should I read The Road first or wait until after I see the movie?

I haven't read The Road and I still thought the movie was great. Either way, you should enjoy it.

Will we ever get the FULL version of Red Cliff in the US. I hate knowing I'm not watching the actual movie, but instead what they cut it down to.

I saw Red Cliff pt1 in the theater and pt2 on DVD; both were completely enjoyable. Part 1 in particular really is a compelling film with enough humor to it to work with a general audience. I know it's a recut, but I really hope the film does well over here.

(TBH I'm not really offended by the recut idea anyway, there are plenty of drawn-out segments that are going to fly right over the head of any american who doesn't know what Ro3K is. For those who really care, watch this in theaters and then catch whatever DVD release you can of the uncut set...)

Pirate Radio, on the other hand...saw it while flying over the pacific in the summer. Really didn't like it. :/ Changing the title is a good idea for marketing, but wow...not a fan.

JaCy

Despite it already being spoiled for me, I want to see The Box. I'll also see Fantastic Mr. Fox and Men Who Stare At Goats, both look funny.

As a Ro3K fan Red Cliff is my #1 by default. Recut or not I will be in theatres to see this movie(though I'll be lucky if I find one playing it).

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Scrolled away from the OP when the Twilight film had a "Why Should You See It"-paragraph under it.

I'm interested in The Road, maybe Red Cliff and Men Who Stare At Goats.

Osaka said:
Scrolled away from the OP when the Twilight film had a "Why Should You See It"-paragraph under it.

I'm interested in The Road, maybe Red Cliff and Men Who Stare At Goats.

Maybe you should read a bit more carefully. :lol

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Props to you for posting that huge OP with synopsis and pictures. Some movies in there I wasn't even aware of. Too bad you got so much hate because of the selection.

Extollere said:
Props to you for posting that huge OP with synopsis and pictures. Some movies in there I wasn't even aware of. Too bad you got so much hate because of the selection.

Thanks! I'm used to it, everyone has different tastes.

Tater Tot said:
The road is being released in November?

Yeah, it got pushed from LAST winter ---> to spring ----> to October 16th ----> to Thanksgiving.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just wrapped up reading The Road, and although I wasn't a big fan of the book, I'm still interested in seeing how the movie portrays the bleak post-apocalyptic landscape. Will probably take this girl I'm seeing to Fantastic Mr Fox, as well. And Planet 51 looks kinda cute, I like the concept of it. And of course the John Woo movie.

Leunam

For those that have read The Road:
Didn't the group of people in the truck show up at night? I thought the whole chain of events happened when it was already dark.

Just saw Precious. Devastating :/ Incredible performances, but some of the directing/editing choices were iffy. Anyone else see it? I still say it's a must-see.

effzee

DanielPlainview said:
Just saw Precious. Devastating :/ Incredible performances, but some of the directing/editing choices were iffy. Anyone else see it? I still say it's a must-see.

I watched it. Very disturbing. Everyone was crying at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom