• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Films To See In November (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NetMapel said:
GAF is so far up their "elitism" I am not surprised by some of the responses here. Funny how those movies will sell a billion times better than the movies "approved by GAF."

way to generalize using obtuse logic, sir. Bravo

NimbusD

Wait, where are the 'impressions' in the OP coming from? Consensus of advanced reviews? You write like you've already seen all of these.

itsgreen

Why You Should Avoid It: Twilight is infecting our culture faster than Swine flu, turning marketable angsty teens into vampire-loving consumer whores. It would be different if the franchise was worthy of praise, but unfortunately it falls quite short. Check out Let The Right On In or even True Blood for alternatives to see the miniscule positive effect this influx of vampire love has had.

bs. because it is popular it is bad. I would say put on your dark eye shade and do emo stuff, but that seems the Twilight audience...

The first one was pretty cool. And the chick was hot. Action was pretty nice also.

Solo

NimbusD said:
Wait, where are the 'impressions' in the OP coming from? Consensus of advanced reviews? You write like you've already seen all of these.

You're just asking for him to link his site.

bengraven

Oh my god, I have watched that Red Cliff trailer 3 times already.

TONY LEUNG

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it may actually be more beautiful than both Hero and Curse of the Golden Flower.

critch

Banned
Fantastic Fox animation style is turning me off even more than the Christmas Carol 360 cutscene movie. Looks like something you'd see on Nickelodeon for preschoolers.

bengraven said:
Oh my god, I have watched that Red Cliff trailer 3 times already.

TONY LEUNG

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it may actually be more beautiful than both Hero and Curse of the Golden Flower.

it motherfucking is. John Woo is back in full force, enough said

harSon

Banned

critch

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:

Doesn't disprove it or prove it. But you can't deny that this place is elitist to the extreme. When pretty much every movie loved here either bombs or struggles to cross 100 million, and NeoGAF's appointed worst movies of all time are smash blockbusters.

*shrug* Not worth bitching about, although I love coming into threads and cheering as movies I enjoyed are successful. I'm looking forward to 2012 and New Moon. Funny how those will undoubtedly be the highest grossing movies of November, and will both be universally hated here.

Bring on sequels!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Anasui Kishibe said:
it motherfucking is. John Woo is back in full force, enough said
Really, I thought it was quite boring. Started off pretty good...but the 2nd half was pretty shitty. Ending made me cringe.

I do admit though, There is something quite awesome about choreographing in Asian war epics.

Neverfade

2012 AND The Box on the to see list?

1230885935531.jpg

NimbusD said:
I've seen a good number of them at festivals or screenings here. For ones I haven't I link to reviews or predict. You can clearly see the difference.

critch said:
Doesn't disprove it or prove it. But you can't deny that this place is elitist to the extreme. When pretty much every movie loved here either bombs or struggles to cross 100 million, and NeoGAF's appointed worst movies of all time are smash blockbusters.

*shrug* Not worth bitching about, although I love coming into threads and cheering as movies I enjoyed are successful. I'm looking forward to 2012 and New Moon. Funny how those will undoubtedly be the highest grossing movies of November, and will both be universally hated here.

Bring on sequels!

This isn't a box office prediction thread. And box office numbers don't have a 1:1 relationship with quality.

bengraven

shintoki said:
Really, I thought it was quite boring. Started off pretty good...but the 2nd half was pretty shitty. Ending made me cringe.

I do admit though, There is something quite awesome about choreographing in Asian war epics.

That's the thing about these beautifully choreographed wuxia films: even when the story is dull the visuals can help it move along.

That said, I wasn't a fan of House of Flying Daggers.

El Papa

Anyone know anything about House of the Devil?

photo_07_hires.jpg

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-zJ5eQsjxw

It's showing in art house theaters in LA, supposedly getting good reviews...

edit: Found a writeup in the L.A. Times:

'The House of the Devil' goes for scary, not gory
'The House of the Devil' aims to 'mess with people's expectations' by going for scary, not gory.

By Mark Olsen
October 25, 2009

Call it "slow horror," "art horror," "indie horror," even "hipster horror" if you must, but in "The House of the Devil," filmmaker Ti West is definitely doing something that stands apart from the usual guts and gore of most contemporary horror movies. Preferring the slow burn to fast thrills, West somehow transforms the mundane into the macabre, and when his film finally takes a step into the supernatural, it comes as even more of a shock because of the muted atmosphere that precedes it.

Already available on video-on-demand, "Devil" opens in Los Angeles, New York and Austin, Texas, theaters on Friday. The film has enjoyed a successful run at international festivals, and the genre website twitchfilm.net recently called it "quite simply, the American horror film of the year."
Source

edit2: Did some more digging, 88% on RT! Fresh:43 Rotten:6

Raydeen said:
I wouldn't be able to ask for a ticket for precious without laughing my arse off at the title. Reminds me of Tyler Perry - 99% of the world have no fucking clue who Tyler Perry is. Only 2012 and The Road excite out of that batch. But definately The Road after playing so much Fallout 3.

More people know about Perry's films than the two you mentioned :lol

I'm so tired of the dismissive and ignorant comments aimed at Perry in multiple film threads on this forum. I'm not a fan of his flicks but clearly many, many people are based on his box office and DVD success.

harSon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
More people know about Perry's films than the two you mentioned :lol

I'm so tired of the dismissive and ignorant comments aimed at Perry in multiple film threads on this forum. I'm not a fan of his flicks but clearly many, many people are based on his box office and DVD success.

Most people who are dismissive have yet to watch a Tyler Perry film, the amount of hate he and other "Black" movies get is pretty ridiculous. IMDB in particular where people vote down these types of movies for the hell of it, including Precious which has received a shit ton of positive hype :lol

not sure about the "boring", man, but I tell you, i was afraid that all this time without a proper Woo woulda made his style surpassed and dull to my eyes, so I rewatched Hard Boiled, Better tomorrow 1-2 and The killer in order to prepare myself to RC, and it actually worked

harSon said:

my slang's sometimes incomprehensible, even to me

yeah, him doing Le Samourai is some really big bummer. But HERE he's awesome! and Tony Leung, need I say more???

harSon said:
Most people who are dismissive have yet to watch a Tyler Perry film, the amount of hate he and other "Black" movies get is pretty ridiculous. IMDB in particular where people vote down these types of movies for the hell of it, including Precious which has received a shit ton of positive hype :lol

I live in a religious black family so it's impossible for me to avoid Perry's stuff. I haven't liked any of it, although Diary of a Mad Black Woman had some hilarious parts (as do many of his flicks actually). But Precious looks pretty good and is getting lots of buzz/praise for strong acting performances

harSon

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
not sure about the "boring", man, but I tell you, i was afraid that all this time without a proper Woo woulda made his style surpassed and dull to my eyes, so I rewatched Hard Boiled, Better tomorrow 1-2 and The killer in order to prepare myself to RC, and it actually worked

my slang's sometimes incomprehensible, even to me

yeah, him doing Le Samourai is some really big bummer. But HERE he's awesome! and Tony Leung, need I say more???

He should really stay away from Western cinema, Face/Off aside, the combination has been pretty damn lackluster.

PhoenixDark said:
I live in a religious black family so it's impossible for me to avoid Perry's stuff. I haven't liked any of it, although Diary of a Mad Black Woman had some hilarious parts (as do many of his flicks actually). But Precious looks pretty good and is getting lots of buzz/praise for strong acting performances

My immediate family isn't really all that religious, my mom is somewhat religious but she never really forced it on me. Surprisingly enough, my Half Spanish/Japanese mother is probably the biggest fan of Tyler Perry there is. She literally owns every play/film on DVD, watched + purchased every episode of Meet the Browns/House of Payne, is on his mailing list, and purchases/records anything with his face on it. She grew up Urban so I guess it makes sense.

I'm not to wild about the films but they're certainly not terrible.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
PhoenixDark said:
I don't really understand it either. I saw it on the list and started looking up some info on the movie and it sounds like it's quite good. A really strong performance piece which we don't get many of.

Yet people are going, LOL Tyler Perry! Must be shit. Completely generalizing anything with his name attached to it. While all he seems to be doing is help push it. Helping pay, produce, and market it. It seems like it's someone else's project that he just wants to help pick up. no different than many of the other successful directors out there helping bring up some of the low budget films and giving them a chance.

I mean even if you hate his "Tyler Perry's...." stuff. I think it's pretty ignorant to throw this into it.

shintoki said:
I don't really understand it either. I saw it on the list and started looking up some info on the movie and it sounds like it's quite good. A really strong performance piece which we don't get many of.

Yet people are going, LOL Tyler Perry! Must be shit. Completely generalizing anything with his name attached to it. While all he seems to be doing is help push it. Helping pay, produce, and market it. It seems like it's someone else's project that he just wants to help pick up. no different than many of the other successful directors out there helping bring up some of the low budget films and giving them a chance.

I mean even if you hate his "Tyler Perry's...." stuff. I think it's pretty ignorant to throw this into it.

Agreed. And like HarSon said, most people who hate on him haven't seen any of his films.

I wonder what the black religious community will do when he comes out the closet

I'm not sure if 'the Road' can deliver. And I'm saying this because I absolutely LOVED the book. I spent two months analyzing that for my literature class, and I'm not quite sure if they can capture that "nothingness" that the book has...

But then again, I found No Country for Old Men boring (the film). :/

killertofu said:
I'm not sure if 'the Road' can deliver. And I'm saying this because I absolutely LOVED the book. I spent two months analyzing that for my literature class, and I'm not quite sure if they can capture that "nothingness" that the book has...

But then again, I found No Country for Old Men boring (the film). :/
If you found No Country boring.. good luck with The Road. They capture the feel of the book though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely excited for 2012 and anyone who isn't hates fun.

El Papa said:
Anyone know anything about House of the Devil?

Yes.

Great flick. Saw it a few weeks ago at a fest. Watched it again last night. Holds up to repeat viewings. It should also be available VOD.

A near perfect recreation of 80s 'satanic panic.' Tom Noonan is really creepy. Long portions of the film go with almost no dialogue. Good score and pop selections.

Blader

Why are we talking about Tyler Perry here? I'm hardly a fan of him or his derivative movies/tv shows, but he's got nothing to do with Precious and only put his name on there to help the movie get more attention.

harSon

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Why are we talking about Tyler Perry here? I'm hardly a fan of him or his derivative movies/tv shows, but he's got nothing to do with Precious and only put his name on there to help the movie get more attention.

Because someone brought him up?

DustinC

Looking forward to watching Red Cliff, I just realized tonight that I can watch it on demand at home in HD. Fuck you local theaters for not having this film. Same way I had to watch Ong Bak 2.

DanielPlainview said:
The Fourth Kind (Osunsanmi, Nov. 6th)

Synopsis: An investigator (Jovovich) is dispatched to Nome, Alaska to puzzle out a 40-year-long mystery involving an extraordinary number of unexplained disappearances in the town. Her videotaped evidence looks to present the most convincing evidence of alien abduction ever documented.

Trailer

Why You Should Avoid It: If you want a movie that is painfully scarce of tension, scares, aliens, interesting characters, twists, good performances, engaging plot, twists, and resolution then you will love it.

Tell that to everyone who loved Paranormal Activity.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I thought the Road was getting lousy WOM? I'm not a huge Wes Anderson fan, but Fantastic Mr. Fox looks awesome. There is also a ton of hate for 2012, but I think it will be worth watching just to see the effects, and Cusack is awesome.

Captain Sparrow said:

Well, this is coming from someone who loved Paranormal Activity. If you hated PA I couldn't even begin to imagine how bored you will be by The Fourth Kind. It is so horrendous.

diunxx

How can anyone be excited about 2012 after seing the day after tomorrow? I still can't believe I payed for that piece of shit.

Captain Sparrow said:

Agreed.

itsgreen said:
bs. because it is popular it is bad. I would say put on your dark eye shade and do emo stuff, but that seems the Twilight audience...

The first one was pretty cool. And the chick was hot. Action was pretty nice also.

No / Yes / Hell no

The action in Twilight was at SciFi channel movie of the week level, just with a bigger budget.
------------------------------------------------------

As for what I want to see:

/Ninja Assasin
/The Road
/The Fourth Kind (friends really want to see it. I just want to see how it comapres with PA)
/2012 (I plan to get wasted with said friends and see this the same way we saw Snake on a Plane. Fully expect it to suck)

I'm really interested in The Men Who Stare at Goats, The Box, & Red Cliff too but I'll wait until they hit DVD.

msdstc said:
I thought the Road was getting lousy WOM? I'm not a huge Wes Anderson fan, but Fantastic Mr. Fox looks awesome. There is also a ton of hate for 2012, but I think it will be worth watching just to see the effects, and Cusack is awesome.

I was at the NA premiere of The Road (at TIFF) and it got a standing ovation. That was the only film out of the 30 I saw that received that. Since then it has gotten overly positive reviews. A few people didn't like it but that's about it.

diunxx said:
How can anyone be excited about 2012 after seing the day after tomorrow? I still can't believe I payed for that piece of shit.

because they probably liked TDAT. I know it sounds insane but they exist

I have already seen The Messenger and Precious on the festival circuit. They are both incredibly powerful and brilliant in their own ways. They are definitely worth seeing (Ben Foster and Woody Harrelson's performances in The Messenger are both amazing).

Precious is produced by Tyler Perry only as a marketing tool (one that will work). It's Lee Daniels' project through and through. Very tough film to get through.

Can't wait to see Men Who Stare at Goats and The Road (I'll be seeing a screening of that in a couple weeks).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
diunxx said:

Far as disaster films go, I thought TDAT was fun. Fun to sit back once and a while and just watch films like that.

DevelopmentArrested said:
If you found No Country boring.. good luck with The Road. They capture the feel of the book though.
Yeah, the thing is... I LOVED the Road. Just the feel, the imagery. Even though there was a lot of nothing...McCarthy just had a way with words. That's why I'm not sure if that can be captured on screen you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom