• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1440p is overrated by people who can't go up to 4k

Kuranghi

When you game on a really big TV, aren't miles away and you "don't notice a difference" between 1440p and 2160p (with reasonable exceptions ofc) then you probably need a better TV:

Give your old pal Kuranghi an @ or a PM and we'll fix that up in a jiffy, downgrade that family holiday/anniversary dinner/kids birthday party/house renovation/sex doll material quality because I have expensive tastes and I only want the best for you x

Kikorin

I tried both and basically looks really close if not the exact same from the distance where I play, so yes, I'm in the team "native 4K is a waste of resource".

Teslerum

Nah OP it 8K

Samantha Jones Wow GIF by HBO Max
Jokes aside 8k is actually where you can't see the difference even on an 60+ inch television. At least image quality wise. Unless textures go actually that high up and then lol your vram.

As far as 4k vs 1440p goes you can see the difference but its at the point you actually need to concentrate to do so. So, imo 1440p is perfectly fine for most.

Last edited:

Raphael

1440p 60+ fps is better value for money than 4k30.

If you can get 4k60+ thats obviously better, but it comes at a terribly inflated cost per fps. If money is a non issue then good for you, the great majority of us need to balance performance and quality however and the much better performance on a not that huge quality gap is much more worth it. You can much more easily see the jump from 30 to 60fps then the picture quality form the better resolution (even if math shows it should be huge) - we seem to be in diminishing returns territory when it comes to resolution.

Similarly the more interesting question i think is if 120 fps at 1440p is worth it over 4k60. I think not for singleplayer but it might be for multiplayer. Or if 200fps+ is worth it over better resolution 120fps. Most likely it isn't for 99% of people.
Similar question can be asked about rtx - how much the reflections are worth it over resolution or performance hits.

In the end if all comes down to personal preference and rig.

This elitism here is like saying that someone who can't afford a michellin star dinner shouldn't really lie to themselves that just a tripadvisor recommeded restaurant is great over your regular meal.

Last edited:

phant0m

Couldn’t disagree more OP. I have a 65” C8 OLED and spent a LOT of time switching between resolutions. 1080p to 1440p is a noticeable difference regardless of viewing distance. 1440p to 4K is a noticeable difference when I’m standing 4’ from the screen. Fortunately, this is not my standard viewing distance — my couch is about 12’ from the screen and the difference is marginal at best. Unless you’re directly comparing, it’s very difficult to tell and not at all worth the performance hit.

Further, on consoles with fixed visual modes many reduce visual effects, object density, remove RT, etc to achieve native 4K. Don’t be a sad pixel counter.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You can get an LG C2 42 inch for ~$600ish on the hottest sale for a refurb (new has been available once or twice for just a smidge more IRRC). As a controller player on PC, the 48 OLEDs are more than fine, peripheral vision-wise. I can understand a 42 incher being a bit big for M+K but if you can manage it, it's by far the most economical and impressive way to make the move to 4k. Only a couple PC monitors that can match these TVs for sheer picture quality, and if 120hz is enough for you, you're going to notice the 4k 90-120fps experience much more than you EVER would ultra details/effects. Knock it down to high and I assume whatever decently beefy gpu you're using to run high fps (144hz+?), 1440p @Ultra will do just fine with a big ol' 4k Oled. Hard to go back once you've seen 'the future'.
I have seen deals like this. But after spending $1700 on a 4090...I think i'm just gonna let my wallet simmer down a bit.

MikeM

65” LG C1. 7900xt PC. I have one of the top setups for 4k gaming.

Its fine but I have no problems gaming at 1440p. To me, 4K is like ultra/extreme settings- nice to have but far away from being a requirement to enjoy a game.

4K displays are overated. Such insanely high resolution is not very universal, so for example 1920x1080 BD movies, or even older games (games with low quality assets and textures) will look much worse when displayed at 4K. What's more, even if you want to play 4K content on your 4K TV/monitor, you will still need to take into account the size of the display and the viewing distance, because if your eyes cant see more than lets say 1920x1080 pixels from the place where are you sitting, so why even bother with 4K display.

https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator

According to this calculator people with perfect eyesight need to sit at a distance of 1 metre from a 55-inch 4K screen in order to really see what 4K has to offer (I'm talking about visual acuity distance). I have never seen anyone sit so close, and most people watch this kind of TV from about 2-3 metres, from which even someone with perfect eyesight cannot see more pixels than good old 1920x1080.

Although 4K displays are overated, I still try to run my games at 4K resolution if only my GPU has enough resources, because aliasing and shimmering arnt pretty, and only downscaling can make the game wi5h crappy TAA look sharp and aliasing/shimmering free at the same time. Even 1920x1080p display will show way more fine details if game will run at 4K downscaled to 1080p, than standard 1080p with TAA running on the same tv. IMO that's why people think 4K makes a difference. It's not because their display has 8M pixels, but it's because picture itself is way more detailed.

I have a total of 4 displays in my house:
-55inch 4K LCD TV for modern games with HDR
-42inch Plasma 1024x768 for PS3-PS2/xboxclassic/GC games
-32inch LCD 1920x1080 for PS4 games
-27inch LCD 2560x1440p with HDR for my PC

WIthout upscaling even my 1024x768 plasma has very sharp picture from a normal viewing distance and on this tv downscaled 1080p is already enough, to make even blurry TAA game look sharp. On my 32'inch 1920x1080 tv I need to dowscale from 4K to make TAA game look sharp. On my 1440p monitor I need 6K, and on my 4K TV i dont even bother with downscaling, because 8K is too demanding and 4K with TAA looks acceptable even without downscaling anyway and especially with good sharpening.

Last edited:

digdug2

Whatever the XSX and PS5 put out is fine by me for the time being. 4K60 would be great, but I'm happy that I get a decent quality picture, the choice between quality and performance in most games, HDR10, and VRR.

Talking about 4k with that confidence when in reality you play like 2.5K native. Praise DLSS, FSR for your fake 4k.
FSR / DLSS reconstruct missing information (details) from previous frames and at this point you are getting picture quality more comparable to real 4K than 1440p.

hinch7

The reason why people call it a sweet spot is because you get a good mix of fidelity and performance. Going 4K is leaving a lot of performance on the table. A bit like using raytracing with raster when playing a game verses a purely rasterized scene.

An example is like how a little and underpowered consoles GPU's are. Can only do 4K 30 in a lot of games, with 1440P, 60fps in performance modes.

Plus with how GPU prices are going and how Nvidia and AMD are shitting on customers with the latest lineup of graphics cards, 1440P makes a lot of sense in 2023.

Last edited:

Skelterz

It genuinely depends on the game if a system can do 4K/60 then yeah no brainer but when I was playing Demon souls on PS5 I played in performance because 30fps in fidelity mode was horrible, not sure what the resolution went down to in performance but I genuinely didn’t notice.

digdug2

It genuinely depends on the game if a system can do 4K/60 then yeah no brainer but when I was playing Demon souls on PS5 I played in performance because 30fps in fidelity mode was horrible, not sure what the resolution went down to in performance but I genuinely didn’t notice.
I agree. It ran awful in fidelity mode, but was buttery smooth in performance mode. Now Elden Ring, on the other hand, runs like shit even in performance mode on XSX. I have a LG C1 though, so VRR was a godsend.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What good is a $2000 PC if you’re dropping another $2000 on a 4K monitor only to tank your performance? It’s clear console only plebs don’t get it because they continue to spew the most ignorant nonsense. Most of the games played on console aren’t even true 4K and still can’t maintain a stable framerate.
What good is a 2k pc if you can’t run 4k ?
4k 120hz oled tv lg c2 42 or 48” is like 800$. Not 2000$….
Even on 3080 I run most stuff 4k120 if I want.
And ps5 does great on that tv too.

Skelterz

Also another thing worth mentioning is not everybody can afford a 4K tv or monitor I think it’s important to remember financially a lot of people are struggling, The price of everything has risen exponentially from food to gas etc a lot of people just can’t justify replacing a TV for a few extra pixels.

A lot of people I know who have full time
Jobs still get all there luxury’s on credit, without buy now pay later plans a lot of the stuff I have now I would have never been able to afford.

Also in the UK 4K is seldom taken advantage of by broadcasters on television it’s very limited to select channels sports/movies etc.

ACESHIGH

Banned
It's odd. In games like the Witcher 3 or older games I really notice the difference. While in others I just couldn't care less because devs use CBAA/VSAA to cover jagged edges anyway so all that increase in IQ gets blurred out.

DLSS/FSR are nice and all but I feel like I am lying to myself, like wearing a wig or something. Look I can play in 4k ultra performance! Mate that's not 4k. Nvidia and AMD should stop chasing the ray tracing dragon and keep improving raster performance.

1800p is the sweet spot to me.

Last edited:

Kerotan

On a TV sure on a small monitor not so much. And a good 4k monitor costs a lot more then a good 1440p monitor.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's not a 400% increase from 1080p, it's 300%; 1080p to UHD = 4x the pixels, a 400% increase would be 5x (since a 100% increase is 2x)
Not surprised OP is fudging the numbers.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Problem with you PC ppl is when you consider hardware you MUST have the best as if that is only thing available. I just randomly searched 4K PC monitors, theres plenty for $400-600....why do you need a TWO THOUSAND one??? My 4K 58" TV with HDR, LG cost me $900 lol. You sound like a perfect customer to smear vaseline over his eyes and rip your credit card out of your hands, gimme a sec, Ill sell you some air.
I bought a dell monitor with free sync a g sync compatible for 285 usd.

I could never play without g sync again, or an ips monitor. Tvs are shit to game on i even play my one x on my monitor

Thaedolus

Gold Member
1440p is absolutely the sweet spot in terms of balancing pixel density and performance. 4K @120hz is obviously objectively better, but that’s a premium tier and thus fairly niche. Not everyone can afford a 40xx graphics card and display to make use of it, so they aim for that best bang for your buck 1440p point. Ain’t nothin wrong with that

No 4K for me on PC because:
1) I don't see any real benefit to it (and yes, I compared my monitor with a friend's excellent 4K monitor during a lan just a few weeks ago)
2) For 4K I need at least 32" and I think it is too big, when 27" is actually perfect imo
3) Waste of performance
4) Sweet locked 144Hz even on Hogwarts Legacy with RTX maxed out *yummy*
5) Downsampling! I can get a fuckin amazing IQ by downsampling a game from 4K.

Some games (older games) will look even worse at 4K, because textures must be upscaled. Before playing the Dead Space remake, I had a quick play through of the original on 2 different screens. On 4K TV I thought like playing some N64 / PSX era game, because the textures looked so blurry, but on good old 1080p tv the same game looked way less dated. A lower resolution will hide imperfections.

I agree, downsampling makes a huge difference, especially now because modern games use blury TTA instead of MSAA. 1920x1080 with TAA looks more like upscaled 720p in tearms of sharpness, so even on 1920x1080 diaplay downscaled 4K game with TAA will look way more detailed.

Last edited:

Beechos

People want 1440p since it still looks good and will free up a tons of system resources to make games more complex. Like more things on screen, better physics, animation, ai, etc. This current 4k/60fps revolution has most games looking like remastered ps4/xbox one games. Gimme 1440p/30fps all day if all games will start looking like the matrix demo.

Soodanim

Gold Member
What good is a 2k pc if you can’t run 4k ?
4k 120hz oled tv lg c2 42 or 48” is like 800$. Not 2000$….
Even on 3080 I run most stuff 4k120 if I want.
And ps5 does great on that tv too.
Priorities. Some would prefer to spend the power on 1440@120 than 2160@60, and that's best case. If you're getting drops, it's 105 vs 45fps

NovaSe7en

This is obviously bait. OP is having a go at worst-thread-of-the-year award, but I'll indulge.

Playing games at 4K/120 *is* superior but also prohibitively expensive.

A 77" LG C9, at the time I bought it, I think was over $4,000.
My computer build, after dropping a 4090 in it, probably another $4,000.

Not flexing, just saying that very few are going to pay that. 1440p is not overrated, it's just the most sensible choice right now.

Rbk_3

I have a 4090, a 1440P 240hz monitor and an LG C9 oled. I haven't gamed on the TV in 2 years. Terrible take

DW74

You came on strong, without being over the top. And most importantly, you kept coming back in to stoke the fire ALSO without going over the top.

7/10

Only giving you an 7 because the topic of choice was fairly stupid.

Last edited:

Guwop

Neo Member
I have yet to game at 4k on PC. I look forward to it actually. Whenever I'm ready to spend another 700 dollars on a monitor. Til then 1440p max frames on ultra is more than enough.
$700? There are 4k monitors for around $300

Top Bottom