• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Years ago today...

...the grey sweat revolution was unleashed upon the world.
mortalk039te.jpg

fuck me i feel old :(

Kabuki Waq said:
I was so hyped to play the genesis version!

Ah yes, the bloody real deal back then. What was it again? ABACABB?

That was a hard lesson earned for Nintendo, censorship my ass! Mortal Kombat without the blood....pffffttt!!!

Thankfully MK2 SNES kicked all ass.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Ah yes, the bloody real deal back then. What was it again? ABACABB?

lol i think your right. I remember i would pick scorpion just cause his fatality was the easiest. So frustrating going through 2 whole rounds just to miss pulling of a fatality.

Anyanka

I got the Genesis version that day. So much better than SNES and not just because of the blood.

The DULLARD code is even better than ABACABB. It made getting to Reptile so easy. You could even use it to see the glitched green characters in Reptile endurance matches.

Kabuki Waq said:
lol i think your right. I remember i would pick scorpion just cause his fatality was the easiest. So frustrating going through 2 whole rounds just to miss pulling of a fatality.

I remember my cousin had a SNES so he pretty much missed out on the bloody craze. Punching sweat out of people...whatever!!

When I brought my Genesis over with MK1 and did the blood code, I could practically see his eyes bulge when I did Sub-zero's spin rip, a far cry from the simple ice break in his SNES copy.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I remember my cousin had a SNES so he pretty much missed out on the bloody craze. Punching sweat out of people...whatever!!

When I brought my Genesis over with MK1 and did the blood code, I could practically see his eyes bulge when I did Sub-zero's spin rip, a far cry from the simple ice break in his SNES copy.

hey, the game genie could turn the blood red! WE snes'ers got our revenge with MK2 though. MK2 snes embarassed the pathetic Genesis version.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ninja Scooter said:
hey, the game genie could turn the blood red! WE snes'ers got our revenge with MK2 though. MK2 snes embarassed the pathetic Genesis version.

Yes. Yes, it did.

Ninja Scooter said:
story.high.five.jpg

and not only did we get the superior MK2, but we also got Donkey Kong Country and Super Punchout that year! Suck on it Genesuck fanboys!
Excuse me! Super FUCKING Metroid ring a bell?

Anyanka

SNES MK II is really good. Probably the best home version until MAT 2 came out. It's better than 32X, PSX and Saturn MK II.

The fatalities look so bad on Genesis MK1. They don't have the same impact without the music and sound effects.

evilromero said:
Excuse me! Super FUCKING Metroid ring a bell?

yeah but that was at the beginning of the year. Punchout, MK2, and DKC came out in succesive months (Sept, Oct, Nov). I still remember those Play it Loud commercials.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
I remember the ultimate cheat code was DULLARD.
Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down.

Then you would get to a menu where you could control all features of the game. I still use that code as some of my MK Kodes to this day. Abbreviated of course.

newsguy said:
Damn I feel old. Still MK1 had the better graphics of the 2, even if Sub Zero had the shitty ice fatality.
You mean the SNES version had the better graphics, right? That much IS obvious. The Genesis version was almost unplayable with its ass animation, graphics and sound.

And some of the "redone" fatalities in the SNES version were quite cool.

GMUNYIFan said:
I remember the ultimate cheat code was DULLARD.
Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down.

Then you would get to a menu where you could control all features of the game. I still use that code as some of my MK Kodes to this day. Abbreviated of course.

I pretty much used it to cheat my way to fighting Reptile. Ah yes, the glory of 1-hit victories, but you couldn't use any characters that had a block button to do a fatality, any blocks you did like disqualify you to fight Reptile or something.

As for fighting Reptile down in the pit itself.....boy is that bastard fast.

newsguy

evilromero said:
You mean the SNES version had the better graphics, right? That much IS obvious. The Genesis version was almost unplayable with its ass animation, graphics and sound.

And some of the "redone" fatalities in the SNES version were quite cool.

Yeah, I meant that although MK1 on the SNES had no blood code, the graphics were still better. Of course MK2 was the complete package.

Red Scarlet

I tried playing MK2 and 3 a few weeks ago..I remember when I used to know like every move/finisher..hahaha not anymore.

Pit Fatality? wazzat?

Red Scarlet said:
I tried playing MK2 and 3 a few weeks ago..I remember when I used to know like every move/finisher..hahaha not anymore.

Pit Fatality? wazzat?

I used to print FAQs and movelists from Compuserve with my dot-matrix printer. I'd just start the print and leave it overnight. :lol

I miss dot-matrix printers, because you can't do that kind of stuff on an inkjet. Unless you're extremely wealthy.

Red Scarlet

lol, I wrote them all on big index cards and charged people $5 at school for them and got game money. Killed my hand, though.

wow i jsut realized its also 9 years since 2pac died today. I can't believe that shit happened almost a decade ago. Fuck i am getting old and i don't like it.

aoi tsuki

i preordered the Genesis version and got it on Mortal Monday, having never played it. i bought it based on pure hype. When i finally got it, i think i played it for two hours, and beat it on my first game. i found a couple of glitches in the game later that day, one where Raiden's teleport could freeze the game if another Raiden's teleportation animation hadn't finished, and another with Scorpion (i think). i went to school the next day and i was cool for the entire school day (at least among the guys), since i was the only one to have the Genesis version. i ended up returning it within the week since i had beaten it so many times on all the difficulty levels, which was really disappointing.

i also remember reading about the VRC's efforts to limit violent game sales in Sega Visions, and being glad i had just turned 13 just a few days before i read the article.

Lee N

Membre
Has that ImageShack frog only been around for 12 years? Feels like an eternity.. someone please make it go away, for good.

OmniGamer

I got the SNES version(not sure if I had my genesis yet or not)...the better graphics(plus I was a N-bot back in the day), did it for me, I didn't care about the gray sweat. What REALLY pissed me off though, was that you couldn't pause during a match, only in between matches when your character's picture moves up the "tower" to the next opponent. WTF?

Anyanka

HomerSimpson-Man said:
you couldn't use any characters that had a block button to do a fatality, any blocks you did like disqualify you to fight Reptile or something.

You need a double flawless, no blocking and fatality while shadows fly over the moon(except SNES, you didn't need shadows in that).

Anyone can fight Reptile. Sonya is the only character in the game who's fatality requires block and she is allowed to use block during the fatality time.

MK SNES had horrible gameplay, even for MK1. You press a button and like a hour later the attack comes out. Back then it wasn't so bad but try playing it now. The Genesis version may have looked bad but the gameplay was faster and smoother. In fact it was faster and more responsive than the arcade.

Anyanka

If you do it fast enough he won't jump. Even if he does you can do the motion while in the air and he'll do it when he lands.

LakeEarth

You don't have to hold block. Just jump to sweeping range and press up up while still in the air but about to hit the ground. When you hit the ground the fatality will start.

Link1110

They used that same code in Space Quest 6 for "Stooge Fighter 3," it was the code that made you able to beat Djurkwad (The guy in the arcade who you bet you can beat him.)

Jeffahn

Kabuki Waq said:
didnt the genesis also get the better version of super street fighter? complete with the awesome ryu fireball intro?

The Genesis version was 40 meg versus 32 meg for the SFC version.

Kabuki Waq said:
didnt the genesis also get the better version of super street fighter? complete with the awesome ryu fireball intro?

Nope. That was Super Nintendo.

Genesis did get the faster version of SFII...the "Special Championship Edition" right?

I remember that day. I played Mortal Kombat for several hours and then went outside and tore a mans heart out with my bare hands (a technique I learned while playing the game). Anyways i was locked up for close to ten years (in a haunted prison no less. but thats a story for another day). When I got out I was greeted to grim scene of LITERALLY everyone under the age of 30 running around, jacking cars, beating people with baseball bats, and killing hookers. Great game though.

Nameless

Ahh Yes.. If 1 Date can be looked upon as the "Nintendo is teh kiddy1111" movemtn its certainly 9/13/93 the first Kobmat Day... I remember LMMFAO@ My SNES counterparts, as I cheerfully entered the blood code on my godly Genesis version.

Red Scarlet

I thought the Genesis version was worse in how it played, mainly because it allowed 3-button controllers to be used, so some moves weren't even present (ducking low punch was an uppercut), and some moves were done differently? But I didn't really like MK1 for very long regardless.

Genesis SF (SCE/SSF2) sucked though, compared. Awful sound/graphics/controls (to me).
The only thing that I found better in Genesis SSF2 was that the BGM wouldn't restart at round 2.

I was an enormous Nbot in those days, though.

Sapiens

Kabuki Waq said:

Both versions had the intro, but the Genesis version had a better animated "giant ryu fireballing YOU".

I swear. Check it out. Pay attention to his arms.

SNES blew the genny ver out of water on all other counts.

Not to say that the Genny version wasn't technically impressive though. I didnt think it had it in it.

Top Bottom