• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Hidden gems on the Atari Jaguar

RAIDEN1

Yes even though the Atari Jaguar didn't exactly have the bite to scare the competition away at the time and fell flat on its face within 3 years, there are some hidden gems on it, and one of the games featured here was created by the developers who would soon form Bethesda software..!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some Bethesda reimagining of Defender with slightly upgraded graphics is a (hidden seems unnecessary, every good game on it would be hidden to a degree I guess, what a flop) gem? Gotta pad that list since next to nothing exclusive is worthwhile.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Makes me wonder though, what did the developers of AVP see in the Jaguar that they thought a title as big as that should appear on the console...

Yes even though the Atari Jaguar didn't exactly have the bite to scare the competition away at the time and fell flat on its face within 3 years, there are some hidden gems on it, and one of the games featured here was created by the developers who would soon form Bethesda software..!

Her voice! SKAYHAAMERR

Kilau

I traded in my Genisis for that thing way back when. The single biggest mistake of my life. I even got the cd add-on. Shame on me forever.

fans GIF

MarkMe2525

No disrespect to the OP, as it's not a big deal, but i find the trend of making a thread to highlight a youtube video very strange. Maybe it's a carry over from social media where you would share something like this, but I feel like sharing your own personal list or having a write up summary of the video would be more appropriate for a message board forum.

Now carry on, I'm done yelling at the clouds. OP is not alone in doing this, so don't feel like I'm singling you out, as that's not my intention.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I was working in an electronics department at a local retailer during the 16-bit and early 32-bit period.

SNES and Genesis flew off shelves.

We didn’t sell one Jaguar. Gamers knew it was a turd.

jayj

Banned
I remember when I was collecting for the Jaguar, back in the good old days of video game collecting, back when it was still affordable.

Bakkus

These games were probably decent when they came out. But who would want to play any of them now unless you're a massive retro game geek like Mike Matei, Metal Jesus, etc? Every one who didn't grow up during the time frame would only want to play the very best from it. And these games look to be D-tier compared to that.

nkarafo

The whole Atari Jaguar library is like 50 games. Not sure how anything can be "hidden" in there. This video simply lists any semi-decent game outside Doom, Tempest, AVP and Rayman.

UnNamed

Banned
Thank God this is not the usual Gamingbolt "10 only games I know on that platform so I made an article about them" article.

No disrespect to the OP, as it's not a big deal, but i find the trend of making a thread to highlight a youtube video very strange. Maybe it's a carry over from social media where you would share something like this, but I feel like sharing your own personal list or having a write up summary of the video would be more appropriate for a message board forum.

YouTube's videos are still enjoyable, compared to what you can find on tiktok, where litterally EVERY channel about videogames is "5 things you don't know about this game I've just copied from Wikipedia".

nkarafo

These games were probably decent when they came out.
Nah, most were mediocre even then, 5/10 at best, Power Drive Rally being the only exception IMO.

Other than that, Jaguar only had Rayman, AVP, Tempest 2000, a good port of DOOM and the best looking version of Wolfenstein 3D.

For me, the Jaguar was nothing more than a cheap way to play a good port of DOOM in 1994. I say "nothing more" now but back then it was a big deal for me. It was a "dream game" for many people after they saw it running on a 486. Atari missed the opportunity to market the shit out of this port and make it the "killer app" for the console. Think about it, for some time this was the only way to play DOOM without having to own an expensive PC. It was also better than the 32X version that came later. Instead, they chose to push AVP, which is good but also a far less advanced game, which is not a great idea when you try to sell new hardware based on it's power.

Rayman was also a superbly looking game, i remember it being the first time i though "hey, this really looks next gen". And again, the Jaguar was the cheapest console to play that game and it looked just as good as the PS1/SAT versions.

Wolfenstein 3D looked far better than the PC original and it was very similar to the 3DO version (which was a much more expensive console). But hey, it's still Wolfenstein. Even with its improved sprites and textures it still looked obsolete in 1994/95.

I never liked Tempest 2000 myself. Never understood what the fuss was about. The trippy graphical effect maybe? The music? It's still a port of an ancient arcade game.

Since then i have checked the whole library and the only game that stood out to me was Power Drive Rally. I kinda like the pre-rendered sprites and it looks a bit better than similar looking games on the Arcades/Neo-Geo.

The Jaguar performed really well with the DOOM engine and i assume it would be able to handle the Build engine with some downgrades. Games like Heretic/Hexen 2 and later on Duke Nukem 3D/Blood would do the console wonders. FPS games became huge in the PC space, the Jaguar had the time to become the console ambassador way before the PS1 was affordable enough or the N64 changing the game with Turok and Goldeneye.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Launched in 1993, the Atari Jaguar was an ambitious new console with two 32-biut chips and a controller unlike anything before it. It was audacious and controversial. But it also was to some really great games.

But two years later the arrival of the Saturn and PlayStation eclipse the Jaguar, which was discontinued after only three years. For decades, the only way to get access to many of the col titles on the Jaguar was to own one.

Now for the first time in Atari 50: The Anniversary Collection, some of those games are coming to consoles and PC.

Coming to PlayStation, Switch, Xbox and PC on November 11.

Rival

Gold Member
I had the displeasure of owning a Jaguar. Got to experience the pieces of shit that were Cybermorph and Trevor McFur. What a waste of my parents money.

MrA

Banned
Jaguar didn't have ten gems, hidden or otherwise.

It sure as hell did
Alien V predator, Tempest 2k, missile command 3d, Iron Soldier 1+2, Rayman, ... oh wolfenstein's the best console port and ah doom and raiden are both good ports.... .... ....hmmm there's nothing wrong with power drive rally...or worms, see look at that 11 good games! oh you said gems.... nuts, ah well, I think the first 6 still count so uh hmmm let's see, ah can I count homebrew?

Gamerguy84

Yes i had one. Pitfall the mayan aventure was badass. Wolfrnstein, DOOM, some space shooting game, and a motorcycle game i cant remsmber the name of were all excellent games.

Thren i got a PS in 95 and it was over.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Today I was playing the Jaguar and definitely there are some good games. I’d say it is a more interesting system than the 3DO, for example. Well, I guess a lot of people like to trash it just for the fun and never really played it. Still, from a collector perspective it is a bit hard to defend the system as the prices for both the console and games are pretty insane right now (getting to Neo Geo AES levels of insanity).

RAIDEN1

Even a killer app like AVP couldn't help in the fight against Sony and Sega....much less Nintendo which would wipe the floor with the Jag come the N64

Even a killer app like AVP couldn't help in the fight against Sony and Sega....much less Nintendo which would wipe the floor with the Jag come the N64

Why the Jaguar couldn't work, and it had nothing to do with games. I can't buy a console if there's nowhere to buy it.

Jaguar was a cool thing, but what a failure.

Jaguar had a lot of the same stuff the N64 hardware had that the Saturn and PS1 lacked, but without the N64 problems which is the real irony of the whole thing. With a complete and cohesive architecture, they would have had a a console 3 years ahead of its time. Flare where genius engineers, but they were mandated by Atari to be as cheap as possible to meet a budget which resulted in confusing complex hardware.

Atari missed the opportunity to market the shit out of this port and make it the "killer app" for the console.

Can't market anything when you have no budget. Most people don't even know the Jaguar was a console until they read about its discontinuation and Ataris bankruptcy in the paper or learned about it on the internet. People before that were still waiting for the Panther that Atari got the press to hype which the jaguar replaced. Company was run by a crazy man.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Is this the console that had a controller with 80 buttons on it?
It is surprisingly comfortable to hold and use. The main issue is the placement of the numeric keyboard which is weird for fast paced games that utilize it. I guess that for turn based rpgs and strategy games it would have been very useful. There is also a pro-controller which adds another 5 buttons (X, Y, Z, L and R). This controller is more complete and feature richer than any other competitor (3DO, SNK, Sony, Sega and Nintendo).

Last edited:

nkarafo

This controller is more complete and feature richer than any other competitor (3DO, SNK, Sony, Sega and Nintendo).
This should have been the default. The Jaguar was released after the SNES, not having a default controller with shoulder buttons was inexcusable. And it would have been very useful for the Jaguar's very good selection of FPS games.

ZoolNL

This should have been the default. The Jaguar was released after the SNES, not having a default controller with shoulder buttons was inexcusable. And it would have been very useful for the Jaguar's very good selection of FPS games.
I agree, but I also really loved the telephonepad for switching weapons and views. It was nextgen for me. The layovers helped a lot. I thought it was supersmart!

Top Bottom