• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill0527

WJXH5

HardRojo

Damn, I loved the episode (hard for me because I've grown bored of this show, but still watch it because why the hell not?), but hated that fucking cliffhanger! Negan is great so far. Well, time to wait until season 7 and hope they don't pull some shit like a flashback or whatever.
Edit: Ah yeah, there's an error or whatever during Negan's entrance. At first he's holding his bat Lucille by the end, then by the middle when the camera switches, and then by the end again when the camera switches again. Weird that they didn't spot that during production.

But Dwight got rid of the worst actor on the show for us.

Are you talking about Denise's actress? Merritt Wever has won an Emmy. I don't think she's a bad actress. She just unfortunately played a very foolish/reckless character. Like a lot of other actors on this show.

Melissa McBride should have won multiple Emmy's by now (The Grove alone should have done it, very moving performance). It's a shame her character has become so stupid/selfish in the last several episodes.

This is great: Negan's Entrance (Comic vs Show Comparison) [Comic Spoilers]

For non-comic readers, all it reveals is the sex of the victim who gets a date with Lucille. Doesn't actually show the person's face or any other clues. It does reveal that the characters who are present and how the number of people on their knees is different from the TV show though.

I gotta say, I keep rewatching this legendary intro and the fact that JDM gave such a chilling, terrifying performance without one use of the word "fuck" is just something. Not to mention, from what I've read, he had less than a week to get in character and shoot the whole sequence before getting on a plane back to New York. Watching the Blu-ray version is gonna feel like a next level experience.

The best parts:

- Everything from "Hi. I'm Negan" to "What? No answer?" (basically perfection, couldn't imagine a better way to act out those lines)
- *turns and looks toward the camera* "I'm gonna beat the holy hell out of one of you" (SO fucking good... his voice is especially chilling here and in other moments)
- "This is Lucille. And she. is. awesome." (instantly sold on his affection for that bat)
- *looking at Abraham* "Hmph. Ugh, I gotta shave this shit." (I hope he meant that in a literal sense!)
- "First one's free. It's an emotional moment. I get it!" ( (Minor Comic Spoiler)
this legit put a smile on my face, best part that wasn't from the source material
)
- "I simply cannot decide! ... I got an idea!" *pauses and stares are Rick with a smirk on his face* (the charisma with this guy is something special)

And I just have to say the camera shots, the wide angles, the lighting, the chilling music, etc. all came together so well to complete the scene. It definitely felt different from any other scene the show has filmed to date.
Wow, I didn't realize they lifted the dialogue straight from the comics

I don't know how anyone could ever willingly follow Rick ever again after this though to be honest.

He should have volunteered himself for death for failing his people so hard.

This is why the cliffhanger was used imo. The aftermath following the reveal no matter who it is will be ugly. Everyone put faith in Rick the last few episodes, they laid that shit on so thick.

someday

Banned
As for the S6 mid-season finale, what was the problem? Was it Sam's "Mom?" to end the half-season? I mean, the mid-season premiere still delivered on what everyone was anticipating.
Yes, that really bothered me. Ultimately we had the same outcome but it seemed really cheap to end the half-season with that scene then completely ignore that it happened in the very next episode. Why would they do that? That's terrible story-telling. Add that to the dumpster and the "cliffhanger" finale and I'm just annoyed. And I actually really enjoyed the finale until the last seconds. I liked the Carol/Morgan stuff mostly and thought the escalating road blocks were great. Take out the ending and this would have easily been in my top 3 episodes for the series and it might have been my favorite all-time.

Was banned while the episode aired, so everyone already said what I had to say about it. What could have become an iconic moment that even non-fans have heard about (I know shit about GOT, and yet I've heard of the red wedding) was absolutely killed by AMC's nonsense. Missed opportunity is an understatement.

jrDev

The One and Done™;195293048 said:
Michonnes fucking wrecked that stupid kid. Glorious.

Holy shit is that Zoe from Nurse Jackie?
Haha, so I am trying to get caught up on Walking Dead and I am also currently watching Nurse Jackie on Netflix and that just occurred to me too.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Eh, not looking to debate as I've taken part in it before. Just my opinion on this with future speculation thrown in. People keep saying, eh, Rick got what was coming to him and deserved this. Brought it on himself, etc. It's true in a sense. He was looking for a fight and he was way too cocky in the way he was doing it. Meeting Negan has humbled the shit out of Rick and that's a damn good thing as he will never underestimate his enemy again nor anyone else in the group. (Daryl and Maggie did play a role in this, particularly Daryl as I'm pretty sure he's the one who suggested it and also let himself get done in by Dwight.) We all saw his defeat coming. He'd had a lucky streak for too long, and Negan being his bump in the road was foreshadowed.

I still am not convinced about the long-term implications for their overall survival. The decision to pre-preemptively strike the saviors was a understandable fear-triggered reaction to already being threatened by Negan (so yeah, Negan was gonna get them regardless), and to wanting to save Gregory's neck as well as the rest of hilltop because ultimately, that very well might be the only way to avoid famine for Alexandria. That's not to say that the decision to strike the saviors was the most rational nor the most moral thing they could have done, but it is understandable. In the real world, I'm not sure how he could have ever come up with a plan so good that not one member of Alexandria lost their life. Casualties are unavoidable. Doesn't mean Alexandria has lost the war. Of course better planning probably means less casualties, but Rick is only 2 in so far.

At the end of the day, I'm curious to see how this plays out for Rick in the future. I imagine his leadership might be challenged by a couple of members in the group in Season 7A. I'm particularly curious of Carl's reaction and if it'd be similar to after losing the prison. Hell, Rick will challenge his own capabilities after this one.

At the end of the day, it's not believable that the group of main character will lose. Obviously, they'll likely make a comeback and win the overall war. Looking at Negan, I'm a little surprised. This dude is one hell of a big bad, but the Saviors are just Rick's groups on steroids, with Negan being even cockier than Rick, or either really dumb given his status this late in the game. Even Rick knows you never leave the enemy alive. Once it's on it's on. At least kill all the strongest fighters. Rick should have been the first to go to show this was not a game, followed by Daryl, Michonne, Abe, Glenn, Sasha and Rosita in no particular order. Save the domination for the low level people like Aaron and Eugene.

Rick is still 30+ to Negan's 2 kills. That doesn't make much sense to me. But I think, like Rick, given the people Negan has dealt with before, he doesn't expect them to stand back up. Seems he will end up underestimating the group and now he has shown who he is. Rick and Negan have both exposed their necks and I'm curious in how the eventual rematch will play out.

I thought about this too....and I agree. Again, he has to know Rick isnt someone to take lightly.

And I also agree JDM...even tho I havent read the comics...is playing the hell out of Negan. Between his sadistic smiling face, dialogue to Rick's look of oh shit what have I done...the Negan intro was perfection. It almost became corny with the music...lol. You could feel the tension after they were surrounded.

Negan is so nonchalant with the whole thing its disturbing.

...Just wish they had did the ending different.....

border

Rick is still 30+ to Negan's 2 kills. That doesn't make much sense to me. But I think, like Rick, given the people Negan has dealt with before, he doesn't expect them to stand back up.

I think the main problem with this scenario is that Rick's group killed dozens of Saviors, but Negan only wants to kill 1 person from Alexandria. I don't see how that would be acceptable at all to the remaining Saviors. Only 1 person from their group gets killed as a response to 30+ people killed in your group? As a leader, how can you justify that? There's almost no way you can cut that deal and not look very soft.....if someone slaughtered 30 Alexandrians, you can almost be sure that Rick would murder nearly all of the perpetrators. I hope that it gets addressed somehow in Season 7.

border

One additional thought: how is it that the Wolves were able to successfully operate in the vicinity of Alexandria, if Negan supposedly has the whole area on a massive lockdown?

LaNaranja

One additional thought: how is it that the Wolves were able to successfully operate in the vicinity of Alexandria, if Negan supposedly has the whole area on a massive lockdown?

They didn't really have shit to begin with, so there was nothing to take. Half of zero is zero.

I think the main problem with this scenario is that Rick's group killed dozens of Saviors, but Negan only wants to kill 1 person from Alexandria. I don't see how that would be acceptable at all to the remaining Saviors. Only 1 person from their group gets killed as a response to 30+ people killed in your group? As a leader, how can you justify that? There's almost no way you can cut that deal and not look very soft.....if someone slaughtered 30 Alexandrians, you can almost be sure that Rick would murder nearly all of the perpetrators. I hope that it gets addressed somehow in Season 7.

He has strict rules and he keeps order by sticking to them. But look at this way, who comes out more favourably in this situation: The poor Alexandrians who killed 30+ people, or Negan who killed only one in retaliation?

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Negan kills 1 of Alexendria, plus takes half of their shit. Now and untill otherwise notified. They could do the whole eye for an eye thing, but then Alexandria's shit reduces to zero and they'd have to do work to obtain shit. By letting the Alexandrians live, they get more shit, for free.

Compbros

To anyone saying that Rick should be the one to die or volunteered himself this was addressed in the comic.

Mild comic spoilers
Before Negan goes "I simply cannot decide" there's a lot from the comics that was cut from the show. He was going to each individual knelt person and saying why he wasn't gonna kill them. Rick's reason boiled down to that his people love and respect him so Negan wasn't gonna make him a martyr by killing him.

Smart on Negan for not killing Rick. Negan needs him for his supplies and great leadership for running Alexandria. Negan is also a reasonable guy, which makes him such a great bad guy.

To anyone saying that Rick should be the one to die or volunteered himself this was addressed in the comic.

Mild comic spoilers
Before Negan goes "I simply cannot decide" there's a lot from the comics that was cut from the show. He was going to each individual knelt person and saying why he wasn't gonna kill them. Rick's reason boiled down to that his people love and respect him so Negan wasn't gonna make him a martyr by killing him.

so if we go this. then we can try n almost figure out who didnt get lucilled then. just by pulling straws and trying to connect the comic and show together lol

My opinion on how it should have went down that last couple seconds:

Instead of fading to black, stay in the first person, but after the second whack, the person falls over, facing the remaining members, but leave the view so you can see all the other people freaking out from the person getting whacked's POV.

Yeah, technically the person wouldnt actually be able to see as they would be blacked out and/or dead, but this would still allow you to see the reactions of everyone else, but not the actual gruesome beating itself (outside of sounds)

Negan kills 1 of Alexendria, plus takes half of their shit. Now and untill otherwise notified. They could do the whole eye for an eye thing, but then Alexandria's shit reduces to zero and they'd have to do work to obtain shit. By letting the Alexandrians live, they get more shit, for free.

yeah but this was going to happen regardless. So really what additional consequences did they have for killing 30+ saviours that other groups didn't get.

I think one of the most bothersome things to me abut the entire situation is that Negan didn't just straight up kill them all, then roll into Alexandria with all his force and just straight up take whatever the hell he wanted.

Javier

Man, that was awesome. Rick's transition from "I'm gonna beat the shit out of all these Saviors" to "I done fucked up" was fantastic. Lincoln sure put out all his acting skills there. I just knew his cocky attitude in this past two seasons was going to come bite him in the ass when he faced an enemy that's too far out of his reach.

The Carol/Morgan sub-plot was okay. Not as awesome as the main stuff, obviously, but good enough to be entertained by it. At least we got confirmation that Morgan knows he sometimes HAS to kill, and we got a nice setup for a S7 story with the medieval dudes.

Abe and Eugene were great too. Abe because he still gets the best one-liners and Eugene because I love how he monotonously delivers his lines. I don't remember what was exactly said, but there was a scene inside the RV where Eugene delivers a long speech stating what's happening and Rick just looks around not saying anything. I was almost expecting Rick to say "Yeah... what Eugene said.", it would have been hilarious. Oh, and Abe and Eugene officially reached A-Support with that brohug.

I do agree with what several people have said that the characters have been acting way too stupid, as they should have realized that they were being played by the Saviors and returned to Alexandria way sooner. However, I think this sort of fits with Rick's recently reckless attitude of shooting first and asking later, which eventually end up being his demise. So yeah, it was stupid, but at least it felt justified due to past events and the consequences it carried.

I feel that I have to mention Steven Ogg, because he truly stole the show in the three scenes he was in. I specially loved his final line to Rick when they run into each other the first time in the roadblock. You can tell that's the point when Rick starts to lose his confidence, which will only escalate from here on out. Side note, but since I don't play GTA, when I was catching up with the reactions in the thread, I was wondering who the fuck Trevor was ("A character from a previous season that I missed?")

AMAZING atmosphere when the group on foot gets ambushed by the Saviors. The creepy whistling really sells the whole scene.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan was incredible. I don't even follow the comics and I think he completely nailed it as Negan. His attitude, his lines, everything was perfect. And the tension building up during the "Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe" game was almost palpable, they nailed absolutely everything... until we get to the last seconds of the episode with that stupid cliffhanger. Maybe I shouldn't fault the writers, as it was probably network-mandated, but still... it's such a disappointment after so many episodes of build-up to see the season end in such a cheap way. I never thought they could top the terrible cliffhanger in Season 4... but I guess they did.

And this was almost a perfect episode too.

SamuraiX-

I think one of the most bothersome things to me abut the entire situation is that Negan didn't just straight up kill them all, then roll into Alexandria with all his force and just straight up take whatever the hell he wanted.

All that would do is guarantee you whatever supplies they currently have at that moment. Much more lucrative to make an example out of one of them and let the remaining survivors live on as your personal supply-gathering bitches.

All that would do is guarantee you whatever supplies they currently have at that moment. Much more lucrative to make an example out of one of them and let the remaining survivors live on as your personal supply-gathering bitches.

If they were just some weak group, I would agree. But they had already shown to be a formidable opponent killing over 30 of their people in numerous different scenarios, even managing to be able to escape after captured (Daryl, then Carol and Maggie). I mean, they were able to go all ninja and kill who knows the exact amount of people at that one satellite base. At that point no way would someone that was able to get to be as powerful as Negan not see the threat they are. Why would he believe these people wont eventually plot against him? They've already shown they are plotting against him.

He knows Rick is the leader. At the bare minimum, anyone in the same scenario as Negan would at least kill Rick and Daryl and probably Abraham too, and then send a bunch of people to Alexandria to put the remaining people in their place.

Amikami

Banned

This basically. It's just the scenario doesn't make sense.

Sadist

If they were just some weak group, I would agree. But they had already shown to be a formidable opponent killing over 30 of their people in numerous different scenarios, even managing to be able to escape after captured (Daryl, then Carol and Maggie). I mean, they were able to go all ninja and kill who knows the exact amount of people at that one satellite base. At that point no way would someone that was able to get to be as powerful as Negan not see the threat they are. Why would he believe these people wont eventually plot against him? They've already shown they are plotting against him.

He knows Rick is the leader. At the bare minimum, anyone in the same scenario as Negan would at least kill Rick and Daryl and probably Abraham too, and then send a bunch of people to Alexandria to put the remaining people in their place.
Killing Rick would only aggrevate the Alexandrians; he knows full well what Rick's people are capable off. If he would kill him, he could make Grimes a martyr. Well... seeing how sufficient the Alexandrians could be that's not a risk you would take. Why sacrifice another amount of capable men and women at the hands of Alexandria when you can easily intimidate them and break their spirits?

And man, you people underestimate Negan. There is a good reason why he rules the Saviors. Ask Dwight.

Killing Rick would only aggrevate the Alexandrians; he knows full well what Rick's people are capable off. If he would kill him, he could make Grimes a martyr. Well... seeing how sufficient the Alexandrians could be that's not a risk you would take. Why sacrifice another amount of capable men and women at the hands of Alexandria when you can easily intimidate them and break their spirits?

And man, you people underestimate Negan. There is a good reason why he rules the Saviors. Ask Dwight.

imho because its not worth the risk. If he was smart he would just kill them all and completely eliminate the threat. This isn't some weak group that they just rolled upon out in the woods scavenging or barely surviving. Why would he think he could easily intimidate this group when they have shown they are a legitimate threat and not easily intimidated. Plus he's not really ruling with an iron fist here. All the other saviors that are around just saw/heard of 30+ of their comrades murdered by these people, and all he is going to do is just kill one of them, the same way he kills one person from every group? What retaliation are they getting from killing 30+ of their people, other than a harsh speech?

Which also begs the question, with that big of a group, all being ruled by fear, how has he not had a mutiny/murder attempts against him yet? All his people have weapons, and since most of them are only following him because of fear from him killing one of their group mercilessly, how does he not have significant threats against him.

I.E. all it would take is one of those people that had one of their friends killed, to sulk back into the woods with the weapons they have, and when he steps out of the RV, just one shot kill him.

You'll see in season 7, that's all I can say :)

Lol that is true. However, up until now, one of the things I have enjoyed about this show is that is the world they were in was believable (for the most part) and the characters actions made sense/were believable (again, for the most part).

However, after the Glen dumpster moment, the actions of the core group, and of the world at large, has gotten less believable/realistic with character's making decisions that appear forced/unrealistic, just to drive the plot to a set point. Second half seems less believable/realistic, and more comic-y (for lack of a better term, and yes I know its based on comics lol).

I will be seriously disappointed if this show moves away from being a mostly realistic character driven drama to a action/thriller.

Lol that is true. However, up until now, one of the things I have enjoyed about this show is that is the world they were in was believable (for the most part) and the characters actions made sense/were believable (again, for the most part).

However, after the Glen dumpster moment, the actions of the core group, and of the world at large, has gotten less believable/realistic with character's making decisions that appear forced/unrealistic, just to drive the plot to a set point. Second half seems less believable/realistic, and more comic-y (for lack of a better term, and yes I know its based on comics lol).

I will be seriously disappointed if this show moves away from being a mostly realistic character driven drama to a action/thriller.

We have a large amount of people who are voting for Trump. It's amazing what you can make people do when fear is involved.

imho because its not worth the risk. If he was smart he would just kill them all and completely eliminate the threat. This isn't some weak group that they just rolled upon out in the woods scavenging or barely surviving. Why would he think he could easily intimidate this group when they have shown they are a legitimate threat and not easily intimidated. Plus he's not really ruling with an iron fist here. All the other saviors that are around just saw/heard of 30+ of their comrades murdered by these people, and all he is going to do is just kill one of them, the same way he kills one person from every group? What retaliation are they getting from killing 30+ of their people, other than a harsh speech?

Which also begs the question, with that big of a group, all being ruled by fear, how has he not had a mutiny/murder attempts against him yet? All his people have weapons, and since most of them are only following him because of fear from him killing one of their group mercilessly, how does he not have significant threats against him.

I.E. all it would take is one of those people that had one of their friends killed, to sulk back into the woods with the weapons they have, and when he steps out of the RV, just one shot kill him.
I think Negan mentions that part about killing them. He says he wants workers, not dead people. More workers mean more people scavenging food and supplies therefore more goodies for Negan to claim as his own. Killing people or their leader makes the said people erratic and/or useless. Negan seems like a strict utilitarian fellow. More hands = more means of production, simple as that. However blood god must be satisfied, so he kills one of them. Otherwise the saviors will stop following him or worse think he's weak.

border

I never read the comic before, but I found Issue #100 on a website and decided to give it a spin just so I could see how the Negan introduction played out. Before I knew it, I had already read all the way up to issue #108. I hope I haven't spoiled too much of next season for myself.

I don't like how Negan looks like this hulking greaser lunkhead in the comic.....Jeffery Dean Morgan looks more appropriately badass and a bit less goofy. That said, it turns out that Negan actually is kind of a goofy guy.....I can't imagine seeing Jeffery Dean Morgan [Comic Spoilers]
play an enthusiastic game of ping pong

We have a large amount of people who are voting for Trump. It's amazing what you can make people do when fear is involved.

Don't want to get into a huge trump post so I'm just going to say that's a completely different scenario. I can't think of a good real world example of a leader that stayed in power solely by fear using a tactic similar to Negan. Eventually with his tactic someone would assassinate him since all/most of his followers would have had a close campanion needlessly murdered by him.

I think Negan mentions that part about killing them. He says he wants workers, not dead people. More workers mean more people scavenging food and supplies therefore more goodies for Negan to claim as his own. Killing people or their leader makes the said people erratic and/or useless. Negan seems like a strict utilitarian fellow. More hands = more means of production, simple as that. However blood god must be satisfied, so he kills one of them. Otherwise the saviors will stop following him or worse think he's weak.

He Def does mentioned it but it just seems fake to me. Like the writers of the story were like "we can't have Negan kill all our core group, even though that is probably what would happen in a real situation like this, so let's just use this convenient excuse". Idk. I was definitely entertained and on the edge of my seat for the finale, but I'm just finding it harder and harder to believe the world put before me. (Way to many people doing things they would never do in the real world as of late, solely to push the story in a certain direction or scenarios that just are not belivable)

He Def does mentioned it but it just seems fake to me. Like the writers of the story were like "we can't have Negan kill all our core group, even though that is probably what would happen in a real situation like this, so let's just use this convenient excuse". Idk. I was definitely entertained and on the edge of my seat for the finale, but I'm just finding it harder and harder to believe the world put before me. (Way to many people doing things they would never do in the real world as of late, solely to push the story in a certain direction or scenarios that just are not belivable)
It has nothing to do with the show writers not wanting to, it's just how the scene played out in the comics. 99% word-for-word, they basically just copied Negan's dialogue straight from the page

why are some people assuming its gonna be Carl because of what Negan said

"If anyone moves or anyone says anything, cut the boys other eye out and feed it to his father, and then we'll start"

i dont think this makes sense. For me Negans Words are actually a confirmation, that its not Carl

If he already plans to kill Carl why would he treat the group, that he will cut the boys other eye out?
How would this be a warning for the group, if they already know its carl that will die.

Hey Rick im going to kill your son - but if you move - i cut his other eye out....so don't move or say anything

It has nothing to do with the show writers not wanting to, it's just how the scene played out in the comics. 99% word-for-word, they basically just copied Negan's dialogue straight from the page

I wasn't specifically referring to the tv show writers, but the source material itself.

why are some people assuming its gonna be Carl because of what Negan said

i dont think this makes sense. For me Negans Words are actually a confirmation, that its not Carl

If he already plans to kill Carl why would he treat the group, that he will cut the boys other eye out?
How would this be a warning for the group, if they already know its carl that will die.

Hey Rick im going to kill your son - but if you move - i cut his other eye out....so don't move or say anything

Well if I was about to be beaten to death I wouldn't want anyone to cut my eye out first. Being killed is better than being tortured and then killed. It's not Carl though.

border

I wasn't specifically referring to the tv show writers, but the source material itself.

You should probably wait to learn more about the Saviors before you judge how realistic their organization is. They essentially act like the Mafia, running a protection racket where they actually provide protection. It isn't in their interests to murder everyone across the countryside. Their name isn't meant to be ironic -- they actually believe they're providing a service to the community at large. They just have a very strict set of rules and some harsh punishments for breaking them.

I don't think their setup is any more unbelievable than the Governor's really. If you could buy into Woodbury, I don't think you would have trouble buying into the Saviors.

maybe for Carl - but i don't see how this statement could prevent Rick or Michonne from interfering

They might not want to see him tortured and Rick forced to eat his eye? They're powerless in that situation and they know they can't stop him. Negan could basically be saying try to stop this and I'll make him and you suffer more.

You should probably wait to learn more about the Saviors before you judge how realistic their organization is. They essentially act like the Mafia, running a protection racket where they actually provide protection. It isn't in their interests to murder everyone across the countryside. Their name isn't meant to be ironic -- they actually believe they're providing a service to the community at large. They just have a very strict set of rules and some harsh punishments for breaking them.

I don't think their setup is any more unbelievable than the Governor's really. If you could buy into Woodbury, I don't think you would have trouble buying into the Saviors.

I'm open to changing my mind if it ends up being believable, but this is just where I'm at after the second half of this season. Although i don't see what wasn't believable about the Governor's scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom