• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with this. They really need to completely change things up next season and move to a large urban environment or a port, just something different. I stopped reading the comics at the farm so I don't know if they do or not.

As for this episode I agree with most posters that it was turgid shite. The characters really don't act like real people sometimes. More like sentient planks of wood. I am glad Carol is out of the psychopath phase though. I was in the minority that fucking hated her character like that.

all of the biggest cities are totally zombie-infested though. Atlanta, LA (as we saw in fear) and presumably NY, you know...those aren't really the types of places you wanna go

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Bigger cities are probably some Doom-like hell on Earth scenario. You do not want to be in the vicinity of a region that used to be home to hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

With that said, smaller towns could be fun and easy to pull. Maybe some industrial setting, too.

Bigger cities are probably some Doom-like hell on Earth scenario. You do not want to be in the vicinity of a region that used to be home to hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

With that said, smaller towns could be fun and easy to pull. Maybe some industrial setting, too.
Yeah, the big metro areas are probably like those in WWZ, where you have hordes of millions and millions of undead

Surfinn

So safe to assume
daryls dead?

I'm not sure why people keep saying this. Dwight literally confirms with the audience that he's gunna be fine (from the gunshot).

It would be awesome to return, but the writers need a solid justification for doing so. Maybe it'd be worth it to build an Alexandria from the inside out and use walkers as a natural defense against outsiders? Using sewage systems to get in or out if needed and guard them closely? Maybe there's a structure strong enough to withstand a ton of zombies on the outside?

Would be awesome to bring big cities back into the mix and would allow for INFINITELY more content to work with.

Either way, we need a new setting, and fast. This shit is getting stale and they ran out of ideas a long time ago.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The major problem (besides the whole him surviving thing) was how long they dragged it out. If Glenn's fate was shown the next episode with them showing how he got out of that situation, I think it would've been far less criticized (besides how stupid it is he survived it).

Yeah but they've still done that several times before. They just need to steer clear of fakeouts entirely.

bidguy

Banned
the guy who plays dwight already confirmed daryls alive plus
that he reluctantly shot him and implied that hes forced to do whatever hes doing right now to appear strong in front of the others

Surfinn

the guy who plays dwight already confirmed daryls alive plus
that he reluctantly shot him and implied that hes forced to do whatever hes doing right now to appear strong in front of the others

It was moronic to shoot any of them since there's no real reason to do it. Was just thrown in for dramatic effect.

Yeah, the big metro areas are probably like those in WWZ, where you have hordes of millions and millions of undead

I still remember the scene where they had to stop driving north to DC because of the massive horde. I think they could smell their stench from that far too. that was wild.

BorganXI

I feel for Negan to achieve Evil Bad Guy status, more then 1 person of Rick's group has to perish by his hand. It would be silly for only 1 person to die after Rick and co. have killed upwards of 40 saviors by now.

I also hope they don't cliffhang the scene over the break, and we don't find out til next season who bites it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
With those numbers, you're basically dealing with a force of nature. As much trouble as they had with a thousand or so, I don't know if they'd want to deal with potentially millions. That group would be so spread out that you have no idea if they might split apart in a more open area. I think the city keeps them contained in a way. They would just bounce between building back and forth for a very long time.

I feel for Negan to achieve Evil Bad Guy status, more then 1 person of Rick's group has to perish by his hand. It would be silly for only 1 person to die after Rick and co. have killed upwards of 40 saviors by now.

I also hope they don't cliffhang the scene over the break, and we don't find out til next season who bites it.

well find out before next season due to filming
cliffhangers really serve no purpose these days do to the internet

masud

Banned
Why would you want to live in a city even if you could clear it out? Limited farmable land, wildlife etc.

But running isn't stopping her from having to slaughter anyone. In fact, she had to slaughter Negan's goons almost immediately after leaving Alexandria. She seems to know that she would need to kill once she left because she sewed the gun into her sleeve the night before. Her leaving didn't solve anything, it only made things worse for her and everyone else at Alexandria.

Well obviously if she ran into the people she was trying to avoid killing right outside of the place she was running away from then her plan wasn't going to work but she didn't know that was going to happen. If she had managed to get away from the area she could have probably survived on the road by herself without having to kill the living.

Surfinn

With those numbers, you're basically dealing with a force of nature. As much trouble as they had with a thousand or so, I don't know if they'd want to deal with potentially millions. That group would be so spread out that you have no idea if they might split apart in a more open area. I think the city keeps them contained in a way. They would just bounce between building back and forth for a very long time.
True. Would make for some awesome zombie interactions though (and a serious threat).

Then again, there's nothing really stopping the zombies from leaving the cities, especially if food sources run dry. I always guessed that the hordes we've seen came from packs of zombies leaving big metro areas.

The Morgan and Rick scene was some pretty clear foreshadowing that "everything comes back", including your actions. Morgan was talking about that guy he spared, but he was also talking about Rick's decision with the Saviors.

If I had to guess, Glenn and Maggie's baby will die, and Maggie will in effect become the new leader of the group. Cutting her hair seemed like foreshadowing of her transformation, the one that Carol saw coming and tried to stop. Rosita will probably die also, Daryl will get tortured or messed up in some way by Dwight. And I hate to say it, but if the writers want to make Rick really feel what his actions have brought on himself, Michonne might die as well.

Why would Dwight even assure Daryl that "he'll be alright?" He was aiming to at his head in the previous episode when Denise died, so he was obviously intending to kill him. It was completely out of character, a really sloppy and poorly-thought-out last-minute addition it seems.

And the blood squirt at the end made me laugh. Looked so fake. Would a single handgun shot even be able to make that much blood gush out at once?

Why would Dwight even assure Daryl that "he'll be alright?" He was aiming to at his head in the previous episode when Denise died, so he was obviously intending to kill him. It was completely out of character, a really sloppy and poorly-thought-out last-minute addition it seems.

And the blood squirt at the end made me laugh. Looked so fake. Would a single handgun shot even be able to make that much blood gush out at once?

Not like Daryl went back out there the next day... just to have his revenge. They've been building, re-enforcing the armory and etc.

As time passes, situations can change. Someone most likely told Dwight not to kill Daryl, so Dwight is obeying that by just shooting him in the shoulder/arm instead of offing him. Didn't seem last minute to me.

Depending how much time passed,negan could've told him he wants them alive. Negan knows about these guys by now and is very pissed. I'm sure he wants as much of them alive,so he can smash their heads in himself.

2) I can understand Dwayne being some rural ninja, but the idea that neither Daryl, nor Rosita could notice the others, is kinda too convenient. Specially because the trap was pretty obvious, and both came from the exact same direction, instead of spreading themselves.

Sepinwall said it best, it's become abundantly clear in recent weeks that they're kneecapping character personalities and contriving all-too-convenient scenarios in service of comic plot and it's starting to grate. We've gone full circle from magical teleporting ninja zombies to seal-team 6 backwoods henchmen. It's a crutch, and largely why TWD, try as it might, can never seem to become anything more than popcorn TV. In that regard I was hoping that FTWD might be a breath of fresh air, not only because it seemed to be set in a time heretofore unexplored in TWD universe (though they've noe pretty much blown through it all in only 7 episodes and so we're now basically where Rick was after he woke up with his coma, it's OG TWD except with new red shirts) but also because it would be free creatively unshackled by the continuity of the comics (and yet it still managed to create more than a handful of absolutely dull and uninteresting characters).

You could easily clear a city by setting up an air raid siren to attract the horde though.

Or just wait a year or two because they're supposed to be naturally starving/decomposing from lack of food according to that scientist in season 3. Let's face it, TWD exists largely on its ability to constantly contradict the rules of its own universe.

Sepinwall said it best, it's become abundantly clear in recent weeks that they're kneecapping character personalities and contriving all-too-convenient scenarios in service of comic plot and it's starting to grate. We've gone full circle from magical teleporting ninja zombies to seal-team 6 backwoods henchmen. It's a crutch, and largely why TWD, try as it might, can never seem to become anything more than popcorn TV.
If Rick and co can act like a highly trained honed team of killers who can execute ninja-quiet raids on larger forces, and it's been established that the Saviours are better armed and have an equally militarized organization, with radio codes, reinforcement teams, etc., is it that much of a stretch?

If Rick and co can act like a highly trained honed team of killers who can execute ninja-quiet raids on larger forces, and it's been established that the Saviours are better armed and have an equally militarized organization, with radio codes, reinforcement teams, etc., is it that much of a stretch?

But that's the thing though, we've seen groups with Negan that have also been selectively thick as all get out, case in point the whole compound raid. *shrug* It still seems awfully convenient to me. None of them should've had to be out there in the first place though because Darryl should know better by now that stupid shit like this gets people killed, and this sudden pacifist Carol heel-turn has been executed just a little too quickly to be particularly well-earned, IMHO.

Sadist

Lol at people suggesting for a city setting.

Rule number one during zombie apocalypses: never, ever approach city areas. Maybe ten or fifteen years later you could entertain the thought of carefully scouting suburb areas.

border

all of the biggest cities are totally zombie-infested though. Atlanta, LA (as we saw in fear) and presumably NY, you know...those aren't really the types of places you wanna go

LA was completely empty in the season finale of Fear the Walking Dead. They breezed through the city with very few problems -- the highway wasn't even clogged like you would expect.

RootCause

Rule number during zombie apocalypses: never, ever approach city areas. Maybe ten or fifteen years later you could entertain the thought of carefully scouting suburb areas.
It would make for better tv, but its exactly what you'd avoid if you want to survive.

I agree that cities are the last place you would want to go to survive. But, that's exactly what would make them more interesting television. More opportunities for conflict and scares, in a much more organic way than what we have now. Right now in TWD conflict is being forced into existence by making the characters into morons going out for a walk in the middle of the woods. lol

LA was completely empty in the season finale of Fear the Walking Dead. They breezed through the city with very few problems -- the highway wasn't even clogged like you would expect.

In Fear the Walking Dead, there were
rogue military groups going through LA shooting anything that moved, even uninfected survivors
. There were probably many cities like Atlanta where that didn't happen.

border

The hospital where Beth got captured in Atlanta seemed to be operating pretty well aside from the sociopath running the joint.

I don't think survival would be that rough in a city. Find a condo or apartment building, clear it out, blockade the stairwells, start a garden on the rooftop while you scavenge your way through all the living quarters. Rinse and repeat.

Of course this strategy wouldn't make for a very interesting TV show since they kinda need the ninja zombies and risk of frequent supply runs & patrols.

And even after Altanta was bombed, that didn't do much. The big horde in the pilot and that attacked Hershel's farm were from the bombed Atlanta

The hospital where Beth got captured in Atlanta seemed to be operating pretty well aside from the sociopath running the joint.

I don't think survival would be that rough in a city. Find a condo or apartment building, clear it out, blockade the stairwells, start a garden on the rooftop while you scavenge your way through all the living quarters. Rinse and repeat.

Of course this strategy wouldn't make for a very interesting TV show since they kinda need the ninja zombies and risk of frequent supply runs & patrols.
Riot gear, top-floor apartment, and bunch of furniture/shopping carts blocking the stairs, aka the 28 Days Later approach

hokahey

I agree that cities are the last place you would want to go to survive. But, that's exactly what would make them more interesting television. More opportunities for conflict and scares, in a much more organic way than what we have now. Right now in TWD conflict is being forced into existence by making the characters into morons going out for a walk in the middle of the woods. lol

In Fear the Walking Dead, there were
rogue military groups going through LA shooting anything that moved, even uninfected survivors
. There were probably many cities like Atlanta where that didn't happen.

I love how people want the characters to do what makes sense, but also want them in the cities. Lol

I love how people want the characters to do what makes sense, but also want them in the cities. Lol

lol Good point, but if the writers are going to have the characters do something stupid (they always do), I'd just rather it be in the more interesting location. A good chunk of the show has taken place in woods, a city would be a nice change of pace.

I guess that's what Fear the Walking Dead is for, though.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Morgan is starting to make me see his side of things.

Morgan's "see I told you moment" doesn't even make sense when you consider that had Morgan killed the wolf Denise would not have been kidnapped and placed into that situation when she was surrounded by walkers in the first place.

That's one thing I wondered about Carol's encounter with the pick-up truck Saviors. Why did the guy who got shot in the shoulder not radio for help? I would've assumed every roving group in a vehicle had a radio, if they are truly that militarized.

P.S. we should've known Dwight would be treated with plot armor and superpowers when he suffered a major injury and did not bleed out then and there, but somehow made it back on foot to his base, and now he seems (a few days/weeks later?) spry enough to sneak around like a backwoods Ryu Hayabusa.

P.P.S I still don't understand Carol's thought process by leaving. Yes, she's a badass and she knows it, and if the only thing out there were walkers she might be able to survive indefinitely. But with roving groups of humans out there, she has limited ammo and a limited bag of tricks and won't last long at all. Why would she think she wouldn't have to kill people on the road, and why would being on the road killing people be any better than killing people for Alexandria and her supposed friends/family? The actor's great performances can't excuse the terrible writing of her character.

Surfinn

Rule number one during zombie apocalypses: never, ever approach city areas. Maybe ten or fifteen years later you could entertain the thought of carefully scouting suburb areas.
Right because they didn't go in and come out of Atlanta a couple times in a small group? Hell, Glenn did this on pretty much a daily basis in season 1. Not saying it's easy but it's possible if planned out.

Na but remember SPOIL
Rick is still in his coma in fear the walking dead...isn't it at least a month that Rick is out of commission?
, they just unleashed 2,000 zombies into the city of LA, so anyone going there 2 years later (that's how long the main story has been right?), they'll probably find the infestation even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom