• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus 2 unlikely to contain xenomorphs

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

Article @ AV Club
Original Yahoo UK source

“The beast is done. Cooked,” he says simply. “I got lucky meeting Giger all those years ago. It’s very hard to repeat that. I just happen to be the one who forced it through because they said it’s obscene. They didn’t want to do it and I said, ‘I want to do it, it’s fantastic’. But after four (he has conveniently forgotten the ‘AvP’ movies), I think it wears out a little bit. There’s only so much snarling you can do. I think you’ve got to come back with something more interesting. And I think we’ve found the next step. I thought the Engineers were quite a good start.”

I do agree with Scott that the beast is done and cooked, but it makes you wonder why spend an entire movie establishing the species origins if the sequel won't involve xenomorphs:

prometheus-species-flow-chart.jpeg

xsarien

daedsiluap
They kept saying this and saying this and saying this with P1, and the result was a movie that on its face was a prequel to Alien, but nobody wanted to admit it. So it was a mess. If they picked a direction, one way or the other, it would've been fantastic. Now they're doing it again with P2? FFS.

I'm really concerned with his plans for Blade Runner 2. I'd really, really prefer he just let that movie stand alone; it's been doing it wonderfully for 32 years.

(Let's not argue over versions of BR. I'm speaking to it as a concept.)

I only care about the engineers so this is good, though I didn't mind the xenomorph tie in the first movie.

And I am aware of the space jockey.

Hopefully the monster isn't that horrifying octopus thing with all of the suckers with pulsating teeth. Can't get through a whole movie of that.

Karak

Put aliens on earth in a massive invasion and follow a squad around ala Aliens 2. Bank on serious cash. Most fans have been waiting for that anyway. Futuristic war against the xeno

Yeah, if anyone is going to bridge that gap between the first Prometheus and Alien, it's going to be Ridley Scott with a 6 hour epic (2 intermissions?)

I'd watch it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was much more interested in the origins of humanity aspect to the original than any kind of relationship it may have had with the Alien movies.

I loved the creature design of Prometheus. The larval-like, milky white coloring was an interesting juxtaposition against the black armored alien of Alien.

Jaeger

Good. The Alien will forever be one of the most incredible, and groundbreaking designs in cinema history.

But it will never have the same impact it once had all those decades ago.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well given how badly they bungled the backstory of the engineers and the alien already, I'm happy for them to not do any more damage.

Did Ridley Scott not see the end of Prometheus 1?

The ending of Prometheus has Shaw flying off in an Engineer spaceship(or about to, I can't remember) presumably in chase of the Engineer homeworld. It's unlikely for the xenomorphs to show given Prometheus shows how they originally came about(well, or the first few steps) The teaser at the end was just saying "Hey, this is the xenomorph's ancestor"

I suppose shaw could get infected again, leading to another offspring monstrosity which goes on to infect all of the engineers on the homeworld.

strobogo

Banned
I'm okay with it. The original idea was a straight prequel, but once all the details were changed, might as well take it in a different direction. Shaw and David heading to the jockey home world sounds more interesting than another prequel a little closer to the time of Alien. I'm cool with same universe, different stories.

Prisoner

The ending of Prometheus has Shaw flying off in an Engineer spaceship(or about to, I can't remember) presumably in chase of the Engineer homeworld. It's unlikely for the xenomorphs to show given Prometheus shows how they originally came about(well, or the first few steps) The teaser at the end was just saying "Hey, this is the xenomorph's ancestor"

I suppose shaw could get infected again, leading to another offspring monstrosity which goes on to infect all of the engineers on the homeworld.

But seeing the proto xenomorph was the best part of the movie. Seems like a dick move to tease it for all of 5 seconds at the very end never to show it again.

RS4-

Goddamnit Ridley, when is Forever War happening.

And I don't mind Prometheus 2 not having Xenos, just need a good Noomi and Fassbender adventure to the jockey world or whatever.

rou021

Although I would mind having xenomorphs on screen that don't look like crap (the designs in the last three were awful), new creatures wouldn't be bad. I thought the aliens in Prometheus were decently creepy. Not as great as the original, but still fairly interesting and different. Really, the only problem I had with the film was the writing. If they can get a decent script, then we might have something worthwhile.

Goddamnit Ridley, when is Forever War happening.
This. I've been waiting years for it. It's kind of like the book in a way.

I'll watch it if there's a different screenwriter.
To my knowledge, Lindelof and Spaihts aren't on the project at all. I can't remember who the new writer is though.

charsace

The Alien was ruined in Aliens even though I love the movie. The Aliens we have seen after the first movie have been completely different beasts.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Hope they focus more on the Engineers.

The deleted scene on the blu ray where the engineer checks out the life boat before finding Shaw was great. Really should have kept it in the film.

Edit: I liked the design of the proto-Alien(/Deacon) at the end

zeemumu

Just stop calling it an Alien prequel and make it its own series. The fact that it has to adhere to an established series is what's holding it back.

funkypie

Banned
Article @ AV Club
Original Yahoo UK source

I do agree with Scott that the beast is done and cooked, but it makes you wonder why spend an entire movie establishing the species origins if the sequel won't involve xenomorphs:

prometheus-species-flow-chart.jpeg

Riddle really has fucked up how all these species form. The face suckers being born from zombie sperm inside a human woman. So the new alien was a super Queen that shits eggs off face seekers? Looked too small for a queen and male.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If even the director of the original film doesn't want to try and make a good xenomorph movie then that creature's film presence truly is done.

At least there will be videogames in the future.

Prometheus and Aliens vs Predator are, like, 90% the same movie.

The production values and cinematography of Prometheus was leagues above anything in AvP. The weird thing about the film is just how much the awful line readings and banter esqe dialogue stick out against the look of the film. The contrast between the scientist interacting with the native life and the introduction of David is huge. Still don't think the worst aspects of the film were all that prevalent in the grand scheme of things but it really does create a really bizarre tonal dissonance that really hurts it. With a better script it could have been something really special, and one hopes that they'll take an honest look at the film's flaws.

That line delivery of "Father" *shudders*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom