• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenimax is launching DOOM 3 VR Edition for PlayStation VR in March.

graywolf323

that's great! though hopefully they'll bring Fallout 4 VR to PSVR next since I think that'd complete the Bethesda VR game collection?

johntown

Banned
The PS5 PSVR cannot come soon enough. I will wait for that to play this game in VR. Hoping it might come to PC but not going to wait if I can play on PS5 PSVR.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
People who think Bethesda games are going to be Xbox only are living in a fantasy world.
InXile released Frostpoint VR in July 2020, even though they were already bought by Microsoft. Microsoft does not ask its studios to abandon existing projects and contractual obligations.
Psychonauts 2 will still release on PS4. Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo will still be released first on PS5. The Zenimax acquisition is still going on and you think this VR game that was definitely in works for a while means anything?

graywolf323

Not on ps4 VR they wont. That game pushes higher end cards on PC
I'd be fine with it coming to PSVR2/PS5 instead then, though obviously that wouldn't be until after the Microsoft acquisition completes then but maybe MS will allow games like that to be ported since the Xbox Series consoles don't support VR?

Doom 3 is old ass hell though if this were the next Doom after Doom Eternal than yeah you guys might be onto something but this an old ass game that is already on PS4 now it just getting the VR version no big deal.

LMJ

Does it really matter if this is before or after the MS buyout?

Xbox doesn't have a VR solution, the Station of Play does...

It makes business sense either way, regardless of their competition to release this on PSVR.

Raining Money GIF by memecandy

Romulus

Doom 3 is old ass hell though if this were the next Doom after Doom Eternal than yeah you guys might be onto something but this an old ass game that is already on PS4 now it just getting the VR version no big deal.

Already being on ps4 means absolutely nothing compared to VR. Completely different. More different than any other release version.

Its actually a bigger deal than eternal imo. I have doom 3 on pcvr and its 10x better in VR. Doom 3 is perfectly suited for VR. I play it more than eternal.

Last edited:

Rudius

I see a lot of people wrongly comparing this to a fan made mod. This will have updated shaders and textures, a new VR specific UI, with information on your arm and weapons, full support for moves and aim controller. It includes all content. It also have shadows, despite some saying it does not, watch the trailer at 8s and 17s.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I see a lot of people wrongly comparing this to a fan made mod. This will have updated shaders and textures, a new VR specific UI, with information on your arm and weapons, full support for moves and aim controller. It includes all content. It also have shadows, despite some saying it does not, watch the trailer at 8s and 17s.
Hope it have baked support for PS5 and downsamples from 4k or better.

Romulus

This could literally be the surprise of the year for psvr fans, especially those that haven't tried doom 3 in VR at all.

The fact that this is the first official VR port with an established development team makes it different than the ports/mods too, but along with AIM support and dynamic lighting and all the expansions? Could be a sleeper.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Game is going to be scary as fuck. The spiders, the flying babies, the scene when we are first introduced to the pinkie demon is made for vr! I can't wait to play the hell levels and see the Cyberdemon at the end. He's going to be one gigantic motherfucker!

This is going to be absolutely epic.

Last edited:

Romulus

Pardon my ignorance but is Quest 2 not powerful enough to run Doom 3 or Doom VFR stand alone without a PC?

It can run Doom 3 pretty well and is already playable. I doubt Doom VFR would run outside of potato settings. Quest 2 is nowhere near as powerful as even the base ps4, and VFR on the base ps4 is pretty blurry.

Romulus

And the preorder is up! I was thinking $20-40 so not bad. Impulse buy territory as someone commented.

Seems like the AIM controller is a touted feature in the description. That actually makes this really standout, that controller makes psvr shooters go from meh to incredible in some cases. Leaning around corners and shooting in the PS3 and Wii motion control days was garbage compared to VR.

From GameStop

Product Description

DOOM 3: VR Edition transforms id Software’s critically acclaimed action-horror shooter into a white-knuckle VR experience, immersing players in a terrifying world where Hell lurks around every corner.

THE COMPLETE DOOM 3 CAMPAIGN EXPERIENCE

DOOM 3: VR Edition includes over 15-hours of gritty sci-fi action-horror gameplay and includes both terrifying campaign expansions – Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Mission. The expansions dive deeper into the demonic invasion, ratcheting up the action and horror with new powerful weapons and dangerous enemies.

AIM CONTROLLER SUPPORT

Immerse yourself even deeper into the terrifying world of DOOM 3: VR Edition with the Aim Controller. Hold demons at bay by blind firing from cover and lean around corners to survey the area without exposing yourself to attack. Use the Aim Controller’s intuitive aiming to land lethal shots against demons and sweep darkened rooms hiding unknown horrors with the weapon mounted flashlight. With readily accessible DUALSHOCK®4 controls and an ergonomic design, swap weapons and lob grenades easily while remaining comfortable so you can survive and play longer.

CLASSIC WEAPONS, IMPROVED LOOK AND SOUND

DOOM 3: VR Edition’s arsenal feels, looks and sounds better than ever. Every weapon is upgraded to support full VR movement, with improved visual effects and higher resolution detail. To complement their new look each weapon’s sound effects have been completely revamped to be louder and meaner.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

This is such a no brainer. It’s hard to believe we haven’t seen it come to psvr yet. Bioshock 1 is one of the most immersive flat screen games I’ve played, I can’t imagine how awesome it would be in vr
To this day I still am baffled why did 2K decide to publish Borderlands 2 VR instead.

this guy is already having a blast:

launches only next week. Shadow projections seem to be intact. I don't know if there's a trouble with turning or if he's just a pc guy not used to analog sticks...

though watching this guy playing is very annoying - in the middle of a tense shout-out he'll stop and say "oh thank you for your donation"...

Last edited:

Romulus

man I want to play this but tracking is so shit on psvr it's hard to go back

It's not at all supposedly, in fact the AIM controller supposedly adds an element to the gameplay. Either way, I thought you had a PCVR or Quest, you can play it there anyway.

Last edited:

Romulus

Pretty much everyone I've watched play it, loved the gameplay with the AIM controller. Seems to add alot.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Is this only on psvr?

I borrowed my friends psvr but I just couldn't keep it plugged in due to the amount of cables and the box thi g that came with it.

N30RYU

I don't have the PSVR plugged on the PS5 since I have the v1 and doesn't have HDR passtrough... It's a shame since I already have the camera adaptator

Top Bottom