• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Live Action Movie will be inspired by Studio Ghibli films

Draugoth

Gold Member
TLOZ_TearsOfTheKingdom_scrn_18-1440x810.jpg

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Ball said his vision for the movie is inspired by the work of Studio Ghibli co-founder and Spirited Away director Hayao Miyazaki.

He told the publication he sees the Zelda film as

“this awesome fantasy-adventure movie that isn’t like Lord of the Rings, it’s its own thing. I’ve always said, I would love to see a live-action Miyazaki. That wonder and whimsy that he brings to things, I would love to see something like that.”

Ball, who said as far back as 2010 that he hoped someone would bring Zelda to the big screen, claimed:

“It’s going to be awesome. My whole life has led up to this moment. I grew up on Zelda and it is the most important property, I think, that’s untapped IP, if you will.

“So we very much are working hard to do something. We’re not just trying to do it because we can. We want to make something really special.”

mcjmetroid

I know people are gonna say

"then why don't they do an animated movie so"

I don't think Zelda as a franchise is as big and and as well known as Mario in the mainstream and as such I don't think this would be the sure-fire hit as an animated film Mario was. A live-action is the safer bet I believe. Having animation plus a fantasy genre is very niche and of course works better in an anime style like we all dream but thats too risky I think. There is a few examples of successful animated fantasy movies but all of these are CG animations and I do NOT want a CG animated Zelda movie and an anime style of 2D style is way too niche.
Live action is the best way forward if they want it to be a worldwide hit.

In terms of quality, You can rest assured anyway that they're never letting this movie go out worse than the Mario movie. This is never going to be bad, I can't say I'm a MASSIVE fan of the Mario movie but it did it's job, it just lacked any sort of ambition and played it very very safe but that's ok.
This I feel will be the same way.

Last edited:

Majukun

I know people are gonna say

"then why don't they do an animated movie so"

I don't think Zelda as a franchise is as big and and as well known as Mario in the mainstream and as such I don't think this would be the sure-fire hit as an animated film Mario was. A live-action is the safer bet I believe. Having animation plus a fantasy genre is very niche and of course works better in an anime style like we all dream but thats too risky I think. There is a few examples of successful animated fantasy movies but all of these are CG animations and I do NOT want a CG animated Zelda movie and an anime style of 2D style is way too niche.
Live action is the best way forward if they want it to be a worldwide hit.

In terms of quality, You can rest assured anyway that they're never letting this movie go out worse than the Mario movie. This is never going to be bad, I can't say I'm a MASSIVE fan of the Mario movie but it did it's job, it just lacked any sort of ambition and played it very very safe but that's ok.
This I feel will be the same way.
isn't it the opposite?
animation, especially if you go the 3d pixar style, is way less risky than a live action.

mcjmetroid

isn't it the opposite?
animation, especially if you go the 3d pixar style, is way less risky than a live action.
I wouldn't say so no. Probably more expensive to make and honestly a 3D style "pixar" wouldn't suit Zelda. In other words that Mario movie animation style wouldn't suit Zelda. I'd hate to see it.
I may not get it but I'd rather a more mature style Zelda movie and we just ain't getting that with a CG animated movie.

And I know people want to see a Ghibli animated Zelda movie but this just doesn't have enough worldwide and cinematic appeal and they know it. It's all about making the movie that will make the most money.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Give us adult link please. If you're gonna do a live action Action movie child link is not gonna cut it..

Yoboman

This guy's been in Hollywood since the 90s and all he has to his name is Maze Runner

You ain't that guy

Barakov

Gold Member
why not make an animation then?
Animation would be the best course of action. Even CG animated like the Mario movie would be a better. Live action always seems like a mistake when it comes to things like this.

Last edited:

Majukun

I wouldn't say so no. Probably more expensive to make and honestly a 3D style "pixar" wouldn't suit Zelda. In other words that Mario movie animation style wouldn't suit Zelda. I'd hate to see it.
I may not get it but I'd rather a more mature style Zelda movie and we just ain't getting that with a CG animated movie.

And I know people want to see a Ghibli animated Zelda movie but this just doesn't have enough worldwide and cinematic appeal and they know it. It's all about making the movie that will make the most money.
live action is cheaper only if, well, you go cheap.
something difficult to do on a fantasy epic if you also want it to be good

and that's without considering how much easier is to adapt when you have the amount of control that animation (2d or 3d) gives you.

Top Bottom