• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW on track to reach 30-million lifetime total sales number

Matchew

Man, I wish we got the gamepad stuff with the Wii U. Twilight Princess and Wind Waker on Wii U will always be the best version of those games because of the gamepad.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That is amazing, it's almost as if they're giving them away with the console!

Last edited:
It makes me think they’ll use botw as a blueprint for future zelda games even after botw 2.

The game is terrible and i’m sick of open worlds, esp. when the world is as empty and annoying as botw’s.

It's not terrible, it's great. the open world really makes you feel like an adventurer. Sure yes they could've put more enemies or different types. and yes they should've get rid of the weapon breaking stuff, but all in all it's a great game. I'm having fun, exploring the world, looking for koroks, fighting the guardians, the lynels

Astral Dog

Guilty! I bought 2x premium edition(unopened), 2x special edition(opened one) at launch and then 6 more over years for gifts. Then I bought digital because I played so much I didn’t feel want to keep taking cart out!
i only got the Wii U version but i was happy with it, didn't even know there was premium and special editions :O

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I bought 2 Switch consoles and they didn't give me one. I was robbed.
Me too, I bought this
Zacian-720x848.jpg

And yeah never guess what?
It never even came with a the game!!

It's not terrible, it's great. the open world really makes you feel like an adventurer. Sure yes they could've put more enemies or different types. and yes they should've get rid of the weapon breaking stuff, but all in all it's a great game. I'm having fun, exploring the world, looking for koroks, fighting the guardians, the lynels
I don’t want to sound condescending but was it your first Zelda or do you just like the open world aspect?

I cannot be bothered to play it again. I played the Wii U original and later thought to play it again on switch but realized I was just torturing myself.

Last edited:
Couldnt get myself to even get to the first real dungeon. Just seemed so boring having no good music, constantly climbing and managing weapons. Really didnt like the filler dungeons scattered everywhere that all look the same and require an iq of 7. The sound of footsteps got pretty annoying too. IDK maybe im just getting old. Literally made me just boot up OoT on my PC instead.

Last edited:
I might be the weirdest Nintendo fan in the world. Ive owned all the Nintendo Systems but I dont play then. Im a huge NES and Gameboy color fan.

I bought a Wii U to play 2D mario, I bought 2x2DS and two copies of pokemon to play with sister down the line, I bought a switch to play Pokemon, I played Pokemon Go Eevee(hated it), And I still havent played my copy Zelda since release.. I might have to set up my computer and play it there.

yes this is my first Zelda game
Well at some point you should definitely try twilight princess and majora’s mask they’re the high points of the series but ocarina is very important given it’s the start of the 3d era, but it is a bit basic, understandably.

Skyward sword has some great moments but it has a lot of filler as well. Its soundtrack is fantastic.

Wind waker… skip it if you’re not interested tbh :p

Last edited:

Lethal01

I don’t want to sound condescending but was it your first Zelda or do you just like the open world aspect?

I cannot be bothered to play it again. I played the Wii U original and later thought to play it again on switch but realized I was just torturing myself.
I've played most 3d Zeldas, I've also played through BoTW about 4 times.
The game is fantastic and exactly the direction Zelda should go as well as a game the majority of open worlds could learn good lessons from.

Not saying it's perfect, more enemies, more dungeons, more character interaction would all be great.
There's also a ton of QOL stuff that I wanna see. Simple stuff like being able to quick-swap what weapon you are holding with one in a chest instead of having to leave and come back.

Last edited:
Well at some point you should definitely try twilight princess and majora’s mask they’re the high points of the series but ocarina is very important given it’s the start of the 3d era, but it is a bit basic, understandably.

Skyward sword has some great moments but it has a lot of filler as well. Its soundtrack is fantastic.

Wind waker… skip it if you’re not interested tbh :p

I already got Majora Mask on order, still trying to find a 3DS

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
It makes me think they’ll use botw as a blueprint for future zelda games even after botw 2.

The game is terrible and i’m sick of open worlds, esp. when the world is as empty and annoying as botw’s.
I can understand why you wouldn’t like BoTW, my first Zelda was Link to past(fav 2d) and Ocarina of time/Wind Waker (fav 3D).

But the 3D formula needed change or an evolution like from 2D to 3D. BoTW was that evolution to me. For me BoTW open world was the dungeon to explore.

Honestly at first I was lost and overwhelm. I dropped it after leaving the plateau! Until I took a vacation and visited my sister and gifted my nephew a Switch and BoTW. Within a few days he was exploring and doing all crazy stuff with combat. Which inspired me and I’ve now put nearly 700 hrs played(Both normal and Master mode).

Hoping BoTW is just the template and BoTW 2 brings back bigger dungeon and add upon the combat! Also take into account some of the fan feedback!

But the 3D formula needed change or an evolution like from 2D to 3D. BoTW was that evolution to me. For me BoTW open world was the dungeon to explore.
My response to that is you don’t fix what isn’t broken.

Some people feel this way as Skyward sword was too restrictive in certain aspects but its problem was unique to it and not really 3d Zelda on the whole. Others just want old series to follow current game design trends of which botw is a product of.

World Density and level design are king. In that respect, a linear Zelda like previous iterations, yet with possibly larger individual levels with lots of side content would be the right way to move the series forward.

Breath of the wild is a collection trope of current open world design with a lack of density, and misses the point of what made 3d zelda great.

Honestly botw 2 can only be an improvement over the first and I certainly hope they ditched the weapon system and added proper dungeons as you said.

My response to that is you don’t fix what isn’t broken.

Some people feel this way as Skyward sword was too restrictive in certain aspects but its problem was unique to it and not really 3d Zelda on the whole. Others just want old series to follow current game design trends of which botw is a product of.

World Density and level design are king. In that respect, a linear Zelda like previous iterations, yet with possibly larger individual levels with lots of side content would be the right way to move the series forward.

Breath of the wild is a collection trope of current open world design with a lack of density, and misses the point of what made 3d zelda great.

Honestly botw 2 can only be an improvement over the first and I certainly hope they ditched the weapon system and added proper dungeons as you said.

yeah I think that's going to happen, we already know they will use the same map, some portion of it, or maybe all, which i don't mind, it's already massive to begin with.......then they can add dungeons, new enemy types, maybe the sequel will be more combat oriented than puzzle oriented

fart town usa

Gold Member
I actually bought my wife a Switch, and like 5 minutes later decided to rebuy a WiiU specifically for BOTW. Ladies and Gentlemen, consider me a part of the 1.69 million BOTW WiiU sales.

One of the best decisions of my life, rebuying a WiiU.

I actually bought my wife a Switch, and like 5 minutes later decided to rebuy a WiiU specifically for BOTW. Ladies and Gentlemen, consider me a part of the 1.69 million BOTW WiiU sales.

One of the best decisions of my life, rebuying a WiiU.
Lol why? Was the Wii U cheaper? Botw is one of the ports that is slightly better on switch ; some ports are worse.

But I trust you played more than botw on that wii U :)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Lol why? Was the Wii U cheaper? Botw is one of the ports that is slightly better on switch ; some ports are worse.

But I trust you played more than botw on that wii U :)
I had been wanting another WiiU since the moment I sold my launch model in college cause I was a poor student. Wife really wanted a Switch for her birthday and I figured I could get BOTW for it, but then I realized I didn't want to hog the Switch or not be able to play BOTW whenever I wanted. It then dawned on me that the only solution was to get back into the sublime world of WiiU gaming.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Mostly just posting in jest. If there's an opening to talk about the WiiU in a thread, I'm gonna jump right on it, ha.

This was the best game I've played since the SNES days. It's the only game all my siblings and friends all bought and played at the same time including people that didn't even play video games. I had people coming over and sitting on my living room floor just to watch other people playing, something I haven't experienced wince the mid-90's. It deserves every sale it gets and if this launches beside Starfield I'm going to have a hell of a time juggling both. I'll probably end up sitting on Starfield while all the major bugs are fixed and play BotW2 while my friends and family are playing.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Yeah but you can buy Skyrim for twenty bucks, and it has been in flash sales many times. BotW has never been under sixty dollars.
Can’t say I agree with this, when I was buying BoTW as gifts. I price watch a lot of retailers for sales! I’ve seen more sales after 2yrs of launch!

Edit: I’ve never seen sales below $40 until last year one of the retailers had $35 sale!

Last edited:
Top Bottom