• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuka Kitamura is leaving fromsoftware and start working as a freelancer this August

Mr Hyde

Yuka Kitamura is one of the best in the biz, along iconics such Yoko Shimomura, Nobou Uematsu, Keiichi Okabe and Yasunori Mitsuda. Her work with Dark Souls and Elden Ring is pure 🔥 Wish her all the best.

brenobnfm

Guess her generic choir thing got old real quick and she was much less used after DS3, i don't think she's at the level required for From A projects.

cireza

Not really sad news. Dark Souls 2 and 3 had much less inspired OSTs with Kitamura. Very generic music compared to DeS and DS1.
You don't make it to Sakuraba's level that easily !

Original DeS was another composer, I know. And it was excellent.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Japan has no shortage of top class composers. When I used to teach there I joined some music classes and was always impressed by the talent and knowledge they had. They still emphasised the classics much more than the West I felt. Definietly compared to UK education anyway. Every School would have an orchestra and there'd be class chior competitions and what not each year.

So it makes sense why so many of our fav composers come from there.

Last edited:

NoobSmog

Pretty much agree with what's been posted already. Demon's Souls music was great, dark souls and bloodborne were good, and every other game had a few memorable tracks with the rest being alright, definitely not bad. I'm completely fine with them changing things up at this point.

She is a genius but I am cool with a new direction. Hopefully we get banger techno music in ac6

I wish her the best in all future endeavors

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not really sad news. Dark Souls 2 and 3 had much less inspired OSTs with Kitamura. Very generic music compared to DeS and DS1.
Dark Souls II is like 80% Motoi Sakuraba and it has the weakest OST. Also, Dark Souls III, less inspired and generic? Fucking what?

Twin Princes, Abyss Watchers, Slave Knight Gael, Sister Freide, and tons of others are generic and not inspired? One thing I think is her weakness is her non-boss songs which are kind of weak. As much as people praise the Dark Souls III theme, it's basically a boss theme for a start screen. It even has a second phase theme. Kitamura never made a non-boss track like A Moment's Peace or Firelink Shrine from Dark Souls.

I'm a fan of Sakuraba but come on, he also spearheaded the weakest OST in the entire Soulsborne catalogue.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yuka Kitamura is one of the best in the biz, along iconics such Yoko Shimomura, Nobou Uematsu, Keiichi Okabe and Yasunori Mitsuda. Her work with Dark Souls and Elden Ring is pure 🔥 Wish her all the best.
Not in a million years.
Shimomura’s mastery of rhythm is beyond the scope of generic fantasy like FS’s, and way out of the league of a big chunk of game music composers. As for Uematsu, his melodies are ridiculously memorable, something you can’t really say about the samey boss themes of DS2 and 3. Kitamura really doesn’t belong in the same conversation.

Mr Hyde

Not in a million years.
Shimomura’s mastery of rhythm is beyond the scope of generic fantasy like FS’s, and way out of the league of a big chunk of game music composers. As for Uematsu, his melodies are ridiculously memorable, something you can’t really say about the samey boss themes of DS2 and 3. Kitamura really doesn’t belong in the same conversation.

Hard disagree. Her work on DS2, DS3, Sekiro and Elden Ring puts her up with the greats. She is still young so it's to be seen if she can reach the heights of Uematsu and Shimomura, but her legacy is already cemented. Stop being a hater.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I will be waiting to hear what she does next.
i-dont-believe-you-ron-burgundy.gif

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
According to this thread her best work was…. Every game she worked on. Some prefer some , some others.

Conclusion : Losing her exclusivity is a L.

Probably wants to be a part of making games with difficulty settings like the rest of developers in the twenty first century.

Last edited:

Fbh

Wish her the best.

I don't think she is bad like some people here are saying, I just think most of her stuff is unremarkable.
Her music usually fits well and goes well with the boss battles and environments, but it usually doesn't stand out.

The few actually memorable tracks in souls games, like Ludwig the Holy Blade, aren't made by her.

Probably wants to be a part of making games with difficulty settings like the rest of developers in the twenty first century.

When you last project is a 20+ million selling, 96 metascore, 300+ goty award winning game but it has no difficulty option

Sad Cry GIF by bazma

Last edited:
Top Bottom