• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki Twitter Q&A from 7PM PDT/3AM BST/10 EST on July 3rd #YouaskYu

Spaghetti

following today's massive news of a ps4 physical copy for all tiers $60 and up, plus a bunch of new rewards:

Get your questions to Yu Suzuki by Tweeting to him using the hashtag #YouaskYu He will start Tweeting back around 7:00PM PDT on the 3rd.

unless i'm reading something wrong, this should be starting in less than five minutes

EDIT: full twitter q&a courtesy of the shenmue dojo

Q: Can you please explain why there are two different statements about how many chapters (11 / 16) Shenmue has?

YS: It is 11 chapters, but with branched story line, it will be more than 11.

Q: I have a #YouaskYu question. Suzuki-sama, at $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2? Arigatou!

YS: I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

Q: Now that we know Shenmue 3 will not end the Story, do you have a backup plan if it won´t succeed to tell the end?

YS: Gonna have to find a successor I think.

Q: Hello Yu-San will Shenmue have online functionality for example Online arcade Highscores or Online 70 man fighting battles?

YS: It will be a lot of fun, but depends on budget, so still under consideration.

Q: Will you be disappointed if the kickstarter doesn't raise $10mill for that 'open world experience'?

YS: No I won't. I am greatful I have another chance for a new Shenmue. I will do everything I can within the budget.

Q: 'm away on friday so if I could ask my question now please Yu-San. Will the Tiger scroll translated by Guizang in 1 be in 3?

YS: Great idea! I will look into it.

Q: Hi Yu is there any chance we can carry on Pledging after the Kickstarter date has closed?

YS: Thanks for the question, we will look into it.

Q: Ryo Hazuki's model and others, are you going to reuse models and generally assets from Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2?

YS: I don't plan on recycling them, but will use the good parts as an reference.

Q: Would love to hear Mandarin voice acting alongside Japanese in #Shenmue3, could we make it stretch goal?

YS: Thank you, it is under consideration.

Q: Why do you think Shenmue didn't appeal to the mass audience back then? Would it need to be 'modernized' for today?

YS: One reason may be there were so many new challenges. New challenges this time too. It's the most important thing.

Q: Can we expect the return of lottery prize in Shenmue 3? May be the first prize can be a figure of Yu Suzuki! I Love Caramel ;)

YS: Great idea. Thanks. I will need to think about something more appealing than a figure of me.

Q: Will u research latest tech in AI so u can include it in shenmue 3 to make it a pioneering game like its predecessors?

YS: Yes. I would like to take on some new challenge in terms of technology.

Q: Is there a possibility to film a production process for example motion capture or dubbing, during development of Shenmue 3?

YS: Yes, we have it and I would like to feature it in an update.

Q :Will Coca Cola join the Party ?

YS: I'm considering collaborations with companies like Coca Cola

Q: Do you have any idea if Sega's planning on doing a Virtua Fighter 6?

YS: I have not heard about it from SEGA.

Q: What can you tell me of the three blades?

YS: Jobs using scissors, razor and knife- barber, cook, and sewer. Skills for jobs with steady demand in any era.

Q: Although a little hint is left in the video Tak Hirai, Ryo he will now be able to jump into Shenemue 3?

YS: Yes. I am researching the new technology to have more natural motions in Shenmue 3.

Q: My ten year old daughter wants to know if she'll be able to use the phone at will in Shenmue 3 like she does in Shenmue?

YS: Look forward to it. There will be many nostalgic scenes. Maybe a tin can telephone as well?

Q: If future installments of Shenmue become a possibility will we have the option to bring over save data from 3?

YS: I have not decided it yet.

Q: Can we expect epic fights like in Kowloon in Shenmue 2 and a similar battle fight system?

YS: There is "Battle System Expanded" Stretch Goal. It will enhance the battles, better than Shenmue 2.

Q: Will we start Shenmue 3 with some items/skills/scrolls from Shenmue 1+2?

YS: The platform is different, so unfortunately we can't do it.

Q: Should we expect any Sega related stuff in Shenmue 3 like arcade games or toy capsules?

YS: There is a possibility.

Q: Were there any gameplay elements for Shenmue 1 and 2 that had to be cut due to budget constraints?

YS: Yes. I wanted the ramen noodles to get soggy and yucky, but couldn't. I wanted to get that real.

Q: Will the "Shenmue Trial" be used for feedback to improve the game like Square Enix have with the FF15 demo?

YS: I would definitely want to get feedback, so I'm looking into how to put a system like that in place.

Q: Will there be official kickstarter/Shenmue 3 forums to discuss and give feedback throughout the development process?

YS: I of course would like that and am looking into it.

Q: Will everything be voice acted the same way as 1 and 2? or will budget constraints not allow 100% VO all the time?

YS: Full voice will be possible if we have enough funding.

Q: What's the I.Q. score of Fukuhara-san?

YS: Maybe something like 86?

Q: I was wondering did you get Ryo Hazuki name from Ryudo Uzaki that was a Japanese musician?

YS: Nope.

Q: My question is why is not possible to use (Shenmue Passport) models for the Shenmue 3?

YS: I'm considering about adding some functions from Shenmue Passport.

Q: Also can we expect custom clothing for Ryo Hazuki it would be great feature to able to style Ryo Hazuki as we want Shenmue3?

YS: There's a feature on the $250 tier and up to change Ryo's jacket. Other customizing under consideration

Q: Why the Dragon Mirror was hidden under a cherry tree, a not so safe place like the basement?

YS: Iwao thought the place under Cherry blossom tree was safer.

Q: Why Iwao Hazuki loves the carrots so much?

YS: Yes! Iwao's most favorite food is carrots! *jokingly*

Q: Where did Ryo got his band aid?

YS: It didn't appear in Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match.

Q: What is your favorite movie?

YS: My favorite 3 are: The Hustler, Casablanca, Roman Holiday. I love Billiards, and I still play it sometimes.

Q: Will Shenmue 3 be compatible with the project Morpheus VR headset for the ultimate second life experience?

YS: I feel that VR offers great possibilities.

Q: Will in Shenmue 3 be a dog to pet call look and feed?

YS: Depends on the budget.

Q: Shenmue's core plot is basically Hamlet - are you a Shakespeare fan & has that been an influence?

YS: Sorry, but I have not read Hamlet. I know Hamtaro.

Q: Always wondered how ryo , being Japanese, could communicate so easy in China. Can ryo speak Chinese?

YS: Let's not go there...

Q: Will there be any more dinners offered for the $10,000 tier? I hope more can be added! If not that's ok. Thank you Suzuki-san! (Peter from Shenmue Dojo)

YS: We just added them today!

Q: How was your day?

YS: It is Shenmue Day, so on Twitter with everyone. So many participating, I couldn't be happier. Rewards sold out! Thanks all!!!

Q: What did YU name the kitten?

YS: I think I named her with dog names, like Pochi or Gontaro.

Q: Will we see a shenmue soda (can be just a can) and what would it taste like?

YS: If there is any interested beverage firm out there, please contact YS.net.

Q: Suzuki-san, can you please tell us some little info about Shenhua that the fans don't already know yet?

YS: The Shenmue tree's flower is named Shenhua. She is named after that flower.

Q: Will Ryo learn the value of forgiveness in Shenmue 3?

YS: Please play Shenmue 3 for that answer!

Q: Hello Suzuki-san, do you have a rough idea how many people will be in the development team for Shenmue 3?

YS: It will vary depending on the KS budget.

Q: Since relationships between characters will be more prominent, will we see something like a multiple choice conversation system?

YS: I am thinking about a dialogue selection system.

Q: Please confirm that guns will never be a part of Shenmue gameplay, not for Ryo or any other playable character?

YS: I am not thinking about including guns as a weapon at the moment.

Q: Will Ryo finally eat and do other bodily functions?

YS: I don't have plan on implementing it for S3.

Q: Why does Ryo have a Saturn under his tv in Shenmue 1 but no games? Was Iwao using the promise of a game for it to focus Ryo?

YS: That sounds about right. Let's go with that.

Q: Mr. Suzuki, what is your favorite music to listen to?

YS: I like Jazz and Rock.

YS: Thank you so much everyone! More happy announcements to come. Hope I can count on your continued support!

DJIzana

Yay for more meme's with that weird community manager they have.

Edit: Oh just a Twitter Q&A. Hah... wonder if they regret Twitch after the last stream? :p

Spaghetti

maybe, but they're likely as swept up in what turned out to be the third best funding day as the rest of us. there are surprisingly few questions because of the ps4 physical hype.

What happened with the Twitch Q&A? I heard it was a wreck but I don't know anything about it.
retrospectively it was just a little weird and kind of a stop-gap before the big updates today, but by no means a total wreck.

this should be more controlled anyway.

master15

maybe, but they're likely as swept up in what turned out to be the third best funding day as the rest of us. there are surprisingly few questions because of the ps4 physical hype.

retrospectively it was just a little weird and kind of a stop-gap before the big updates today, but by no means a total wreck.

this should be more controlled anyway.

Agreed, I would like to hear more about Suzuki's vision of what he intends to do with Shenmue III and hopefully some sort of confirmation free battles are in the 3rd title.

Spaghetti

Mmmmm, another Shenmue thread.
i even fit the bit about the physical edition being available to $60 backers and up. howzat for brand synergy.

it's taking a little while to get started, but i guess there's some translation to be done along with another KS update i hope.

Spaghetti

couple interesting Qs and As

Q: Can you please explain why there are two different statements about how many chapters (11 / 16) Shenmue has?
A: It is 11 chapters, but with branched story line, it will be more than 11

Q: Hi Yu is there any chance we can carry on Pledging after the Kickstarter date has closed?
A: Thanks for the question, we will look into it.

Q: I have a #YouaskYu question. Suzuki-sama, at $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2? Arigatou!
A: I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

(that last one might explain why the magic maze disappeared from the stretch goals)

Q: Hello Yu-San will Shenmue have online functionality for example Online arcade Highscores or Online 70 man fighting battles? ty
A: It will be a lot of fun, but depends on budget, so still under consideration

Q: Will you be disappointed if the kickstarter doesn't raise $10mill for that 'open world experience'?
A: No I won't. I am greatful I have another chance for a new Shenmue. I will do everything I can within the budget

(and that puts the "Yu really want $10 mil" shit to bed for good)

Q: Will the Tiger scroll translated by Guizang in 1 be in 3?
A: Great idea! I will look into it.

(this was the greatest mystery of my childhood)

Q: For Ryo Hazuki's model and others, are you going to reuse models and generally assets from Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2?
A: I don't plan on recycling them, but will use the good parts as an reference.

Q: Would love to hear Mandarin voice acting alongside Japanese in #Shenmue3, could we make it stretch goal?
A: Thank you, it is under consideration.

master15

Thanks for compiling this. I might be blind but I find it hard to source the original question with his answers.

benzy

Q: For Ryo Hazuki's model and others, are you going to reuse models and generally assets from Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2?
A: I don't plan on recycling them, but will use the good parts as an reference.

I asked him about the 3D sculptures they used to scan and create character models in the old games, hope he can get to it.

jimexvrpgf.jpg

Thanks for compiling this. I might be blind but I find it hard to source the original question with his answers.

Just click on "view conversation" in Suzuki's tweets.

A: Thanks for the question, we will look into it.

This is a must!

A: No I won't. I am greatful I have another chance for a new Shenmue. I will do everything I can within the budget

What a legend!

HORRORSHØW

couple interesting Qs and As
god bless

Spaghetti

Q: Will @CocaColaCo join the Party ?
A: I'm considering collaborations with companies like Coca Cola

FANTA CONFIRMED

Q: Will @CocaColaCo join the Party ?
A: I'm considering collaborations with companies like Coca Cola

FANTA CONFIRMED

I really want him to go all out within reason for sponsorship. Shenmue 1 and 2 had it and if it improves budget he should go for it. Someone should ask if he's considered adding another tier to have personal projects like indy games or something advertises in the game as well.

Spaghetti

cc @jeffgerstmann
A: I have not heard about it from SEGA.

heh, he copied gerstmann in too

benzy

He's still answering questions from July 1, this might be a long ass QA; not that there's anything wrong with it.

master15

Q: although a little hint is left in the video Tak Hirai, Ryo he will now be able to jump into Shenemue 3?

A: Yes. I am researching the new technology to have more natural motions in Shenmue 3

Not sure if I like that. Call me a purist but I don't want jump function.

Spaghetti

He's still answering questions from July 1, this might be a long ass QA; not that there's anything wrong with it.
dedication!

Q: although a little hint is left in the video Tak Hirai, Ryo he will now be able to jump into Shenemue 3?
A: Yes. I am researching the new technology to have more natural motions in Shenmue 3

(something lost in translation here, but might indicate the ability to climb maybe?)

Spaghetti

Q: Can we expect epic fights like in Kowloon in Shenmue 2 and a similar battle fight system?
A: here is "Battle System Expanded" Stretch Goal. It will enhance the battles, better than Shenmue 2

so it seems FREE battle is in, but the stretch goal is to improve the system

Aki-at

cc @jeffgerstmann
A: I have not heard about it from SEGA.

heh, he copied gerstmann in too

Finally I can feel vindicated in typing SEGA as SEGA now that I know Yu Suzuki types it like that too.

Holding back the tears for Virtua Fighter 6 :, (

delta_reg

If anyone could do it right, I'd trust in Yu Suzuki. When he says natural motions I doubt he means like platformer genre, probably the opposite.

benzy

I don't see how it would hurt the game. With Ryo now in the mountains, it makes sense to me.

Spaghetti

A: The platform is different, so unfortunately we can't do it.

Q: Should we expect any Sega related stuff in Shenmue 3 like arcade games or toy capsules?
A: There is a possibility.

Well we saw him hopping rocks in the teaser. Maybe it's a real time version of that rather than the qte based version in Shenmue II.

master15

A: here is "Battle System Expanded" Stretch Goal. It will enhance the battles, better than Shenmue 2

so it seems FREE battle is in, but the stretch goal is to improve the system

Excellent news, but now we really need to get to the 6-7.5 million figure to ensure we get expanded combat system.

master15

A: The platform is different, so unfortunately we can't do it.

I wonder if they can just import and let players automatically start with items brought over from the first two games. I wonder how they would originally figure/or be used in the original game scenario.

Spaghetti

Q: Will the "Shenmue Trial" be used for feedback to improve the game like Square Enix have with the FF15 demo?
A: I would definitely want to get feedback, so I'm looking into how to put a system like that in place

shenmue 3 episode duscae confirmed

Aki-at

Q: Were there any gameplay elements for Shenmue 1 and 2 that had to be cut due to budget constraints?
A: Yes. I wanted the ramen noodles to get soggy and yucky, but couldn't. I wanted to get that real.

Man Suzuki really is the greatest haha.

master15

A: Yes. I wanted the ramen noodles to get soggy and yucky, but couldn't. I wanted to get that real.

(suzuki-san you be crazy. I love it)

Top Bottom