• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite game is getting a sequel. What type of monitzation would you prefer and why?

If you had to pick one, which would you prefer?

• $60 price, with microtransactions and loot boxes.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • $60 price, always online, cosmetic DLC, and microtransactions but no loot boxes.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • $70 price, but NO microtransactions or loot boxes or always online. None of it.

Votes: 87 85.3%
  • $40 budget title, but considerably shorter than a full game in the series, DLC & microtransactions.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Free-to-play, live service, always online, loot boxes and grindy progression, but free co-op.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Catphish

And this is why monetization will always exist.

If its a quality game you like then just buy it and support it.
Brother, over the course of my life, I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on games and kit. I support the industry, and have for decades. But these days, very few games are worth what is being charged for at release.

Games now are shipping in rushed, buggy states, so, just as a matter of course, by the time they’re patched up and in a state that I would consider acceptable, they’re on sale. They wanna ship crap? Fuck em. I can wait.

The industry did it to itself. Don’t blame me for being a discerning consumer.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Xenoblade 3 should get a season pass just like 2. Prequel expansion and bonus content for the main game. I got my money's worth out if 2's pass.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
None of the above.

If the game is getting those things added then it contains fundamental flaws that diminish the game as a whole and will ultimately make it a lesser game than the one you love.

You ALWAYS have a choice as a consumer not to support these things. Thus there is always the option not shown in the above: Don't support bad business practices by not buying the game.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Xenoblade 3 should get a season pass just like 2. Prequel expansion and bonus content for the main game. I got my money's worth out if 2's pass.

Honestly, Xenoblade 2's "expansion" Torna really was just a full extra game that included the DLC pass for anyone that also owned the original. It even even released as a stand alone physical game that didn't require the buyer to own the original. Sure, it was shorter, but it was still a decent length and was released for a lower RRP. It was basically mini-sequel + bonus incentives for those who bought XBC2.

Round the tail end of the PS3 cycle I was beginning to tire of all the nickel and dime tactics in games. My wish was this: Raise the price of new games $20 (to get to $80) and be rid of all the traps to get your money. I figured games haven't had a price increase in a long time so seemed fair to me. Looks like they split the difference this gen: Ten dollar hike and even more ways to pay extra after the sale. Game industry can't survive unless they get all the money, apparently.

Full price forever with no "microtransactions" for me.

Obviously, the one with no microtransactions. Unfortunately, increasing the base price to $70 has not resulted in fewer microtransactions.

Top Bottom