• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xtreme Ghouls n Ghosts for PSP only...why?

dog$, I can feel your pain but the truth is 2D is not going to go to you so you are going to have to go to it and unfortunately it resides mainly in portable form these days :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sapienshomo said:
I will buy a PSP for this game.

go PSP :D
tom5bj.jpg

Lardbutt

Banned
buying a shitty handheld only exaserbates the problem of former console 2D game series being reduced to having all future installments remain on shitty handhelds

Hmm, never thought of it that way before. You make a pretty good point....

It might make me twice before buying the next Castlevania game on a GBA or DS.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Well, that's what I've done. No handheld purchases for me, and my wallet and I feel better for it. I don't kid myself into believing some handheld game is worth my time, and the companies don't get my money for making second rate products. Win Win.
Drinky Crow said:
To the contrary: were it not for handhelds, 2D games wouldn't be coming out PERIOD.
oh come on :)
Mushihimesama is the latest of all the wai-wai animu arcade games and other fluffy crap that says HI 2 U Drinky.
I don't even buy half of the console 2D games that do come out.
(This probably explains why I don't bother bitching about this phenomenon as much anymore)

Tellaerin

Drinky Crow said:
To the contrary: were it not for handhelds, 2D games wouldn't be coming out PERIOD.

Drinky nailed it. Even 2.5D games seem to be an endangered species on consoles nowadays, which is a damn shame - IMO, freeroaming 3D games just can't capture the tight, ultra-precise feel of a good 2D sidescroller. (About the only 3D game I've ever played that managed to recapture that oldschool essence was Maximo vs. Army of Zin, and we're not liable to see a sequel. Go figure.) Unfortunately, most console owners won't buy a 2D or 2.5D title when they could be spending the same money on a 'real' (read: fully 3D) game. Companies may occasionally throw us enthusiasts a bone with a new console game like Contra: Shattered Soldier, but those are getting fewer and further between. If you love 2D gameplay, handhelds are really the only remaining means of getting a regular fix.

Tellaerin

Lardbutt said:
Hmm, never thought of it that way before. You make a pretty good point....

It might make me twice before buying the next Castlevania game on a GBA or DS.

OK, let me get this straight. If enough people stop buying 2D games on the only remaining platforms where they still sell consistently, developers will suddenly decide to bring them back to consoles? You've got to be kidding me. If anything, that would be the death knell for 2D-style gaming, period--I suspect companies would pronounce the market for those kinds of games dead, the shift to handheld 3D would accelerate, and full 3D games (as opposed to 2D or 2.5D) would come to dominate those platforms as well.

So go ahead, boycott away... if you want to kill what you're trying to save.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
It was the same deal with the various GBA Castlevania games...

They are all good in portable form, but a console version would have been better.
Big difference being R&D effort. The GBA CVs wouldn't have been greenlighted for a console, costs would have risen dramatically... meanwhile Goku Makaimura is basically console level already in terms development. This could easily be a multiplatform game with PS2/GC/Xbox ports, where as the GBA CVs would need to be significantly reworked and expanded visually/aurally. I guess they could've done PSone ports of the GBA games though.

8bit

Knows the Score
Izzy said:
Oh, I think you'll get your GnG fix on 360 and PS3...it just won't be 2D...

!!!

However, I thought the Maximo team(and any realistic chance of any other retro revivals) were fired into the Sun or something?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Drinky Crow said:

Bingo, Bullseye, Nail on the Head etc etc etc.

Such short memories, can you not recall the "OMG where are the the 2D games gone/going" before the advent of semi-decent (GBA/DS) and awesome handheld gaming?

I can, there was certainly enough of it.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I can't.

Before the GBA came out there was plenty of 2D on the Dreamcast and Saturn, not to mention the PS1 2D titles that happened to be good.

Before that, damn near everything was sprite based.

jarrod

Banned
dog$ said:
I can't.

Before the GBA came out there was plenty of 2D on the Dreamcast and Saturn, not to mention the PS1 2D titles that happened to be good.

Before that, damn near everything was sprite based.
So you mean... before PS2.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I was referring to the time frame he specified. Let's read it again:
Vennt said:
before the ... (GBA/DS)
Once more in case this message is being read on a planet where the letters GBA can be read as PS2:
Vennt said:
before the ... (GBA/DS)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
You are going through some serious revisionism if you think 2D gaming was "healthy" around the time of the Dreamcast launch.

Between the time of Playstation and the Dreamcast 2D had never been in worse shape, and it was only getting worse by the time the PS2 was released. the GBA heralded quite a recovery.

Note that I'm not saying there were NO games, but that it was a shrinking, and disappearing genre.

Revisionism.... Pfft!

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Vennt said:
You are going through some serious revisionism if you think 2D gaming was "healthy" around the time of the Dreamcast launch.
At 1999 there were more than enough shooters and fighters being made or published by SNK and Capcom alone to suffice my desires.

No revisionism necessary.

jarrod

Banned
dog$ said:
At 1999 there were more than enough shooters and fighters being made or published by SNK and Capcom alone to suffice my desires.

No revisionism necessary.
And now all those SNK/Capcom shooters and fighters have been moved to GBA/DS? Shouldn't that be what happened given "the problem of former console 2D game series being reduced to having all future installments remain on shitty handhelds"? Or something?

Dragmire

dog$ said:
Thanks, Nintendo, for mortally wounding the concept of console 2D games. Really, thank you.
Um.... there's Smash Bros. DK Jungle Beat. The new Kirby. Animal Crossing. Four Swords. Wario Ware. Fire Emblem. Paper Mario.

Most of those have 3D graphics with 2D gameplay (if not 2D graphics), just like Xtreme Ghouls n Ghosts, Contra: Shattered Soldier, the new Mario, everything people in this thread are saying that's gone from console gaming. Nintend0wn3ed!

jarrod

Banned
dog$ said:
Zero 3 Double Upper is on PSP, right? No PS2 version, right?
Well, let's just take a look here at all those 2D Capcom & SNK fighters and shooters that released on consoles and handhelds post GBA launch...

Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival (GBA)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper (GBA)
DarkStalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Double Upper (PSP)

The King of Fighters EX: NeoBlood (GBA)
The King of Fighters EX2: Howling Blood (GBA)

Metal Slug Advance (GBA)
Metal Slug 1: Super Vehicle (GBA)

Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000 Pro (DC)
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001 (DC)
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001 (PS2)
Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000 Pro (PS)
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001 EO (GC)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (PS2)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (XB)
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001 EO (XB)
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (PS2)
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (PS2)
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (XB)
Capcom Fighting Evolution (PS2)
Capcom Fighting Evolution (XB)

Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (DC)
The King of Fighters 2000 (DC)
Rage of the Dragons (AES)
The King of Fighters 2000 (PS2)
The King of Fighters 2002 (AES)
The King of Fighters 2001 (DC)
The King of Fighters 2003 (AES)
The King of Fighters 2002 (DC)
The King of Fighters 2001 (PS2)
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (AES)
The King of Fighters 2002 (PS2)
Samurai Showdown V (AES)
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (PS2)
Power Instinct Matrimelee (AES)
The King of Fighters 2003 (PS2)
Samurai Shodown V Special (AES)
Samurai Shodown V (PS2)
SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (XB)
The King of Fighters 2002 (XB)
The King of Fighters '94 Re-Bout (PS2)
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (PS2)
The King of Fighters 2003 (XB)
Samurai Shodown V (XB)
The King of Fighters '94 Re-Bout (XB)
Bakumatsu Roman: Last Blade 2-in-1 (PS2)
The King of Fighters NeoWave (PS2)
The King of Fighters NeoWave (XB)
The King of Fighters: NEST Collection (PS2)
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (PS2)
The King of Fighters: Orochi Collection (PS2)

Metal Slug 4 (AES)
Metal Slug 3 (PS2)
Metal Slug 5 (AES)
Metal Slug 3 (XB)
Metal Slug 4 (PS2)
Metal Slug 4 (XB)
Metal Slug 5 (PS2)
Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princess (PS2)
Metal Slug 5 (XB)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
jarrod said:
Well, let's just take a look here at all those 2D Capcom & SNK fighters and shooters that released on consoles and handhelds post GBA launch...

*snip*

A list that makes my point for me, a list of titles padded out by both games that are ported cross mulltiple platforms and by sequels within a series. At best it represents less than 20 flavours of the same fighter(s) and shooter(s), at worst it represents what I mean by "unhealthy".

Like I said, It's not that there weren't *any* 2D titles, but you've got to be stretching things to refer to it as "healthy".

jarrod

Banned
Vennt said:
A list that actaully makes my point for me, a list of titles padded out by both games that are ported cross mulltiple platforms and by sequels within a series. At best it represents less than 20 flavours of the same fighter(s) and shooter(s), at worst it represents what I mean by "unhealthy".

Like I said, It's not that there weren't *any* 2D titles, but you've got to be stretching things to refer to it as "healthy".
Granted... but then nearly all those handheld games are crusty ports as well. And those that aren't were outsourced outside the original teams.

dog$ notion that handhelds are eating all 2D franchises is entirely off the mark... besides, it works both ways. Handheld brands like SaGa, Seiken Densetsu, Kirby, Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-OH!, Rockman.EXE and others have all had varying degrees of success migrating to consoles as well. The truth is he's misplacing his resentment of his old favorites surviving on handhelds to the handhelds themselves... when the real problem was the console market evolving on it's own.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
See, with a list like that you'd think more people would realize

a) The PS2 has more 2D games than people think.
b) Maybe console 2D isn't so dead after all, and maybe it isn't as unpopular and unprofitable as some would like for you to believe.

Both are statements I've found myself repeating to death on here lately. Thanks for helping reinforce my points, Jarrod.

jarrod

Banned
dog$ said:
Both are statements I've found myself repeating to death on here lately. Thanks for helping reinforce my points, Jarrod.
No problem. It's nice to see sprite based games still going at home... the decline of which (attributed to Nintendo handhelds by some of the more irrational) is oviously exaggerated.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Hey, when you see the GBA getting a new River City Ransom, new Double Dragon, 3 New Draculas, the only non-arcade version of the last SF Zero series, etc etc etc, and see the equivalent of nothing on consoles for all of the above titles, you're bound to get "irrational".

jarrod

Banned
dog$ said:
Hey, when you see the GBA getting a new River City Ransom, new Double Dragon, 3 New Draculas, the only non-arcade version of the last SF Zero series, etc etc etc, and see the equivalent of nothing on consoles for all of the above titles, you're bound to get "irrational".
Well, I've yet to see GBA get "new" RCR or DD games. As well, consoles have seen 2 new Draculas and the last arcade version of the SF Zero series (Upper) was just a console port anyway (which made it to 3 different platforms).

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'd like to know what fucking planet you were on where 2D games were plentiful even pre-PS2. In the US, 2D was dead as a doornail by the time the PSone and N64 were on the decline. Sure, I imported a lot of 2D Capcom and Atlus stuff for my Saturn and Dreamcast, but it was 3D or nothing on a 10-to-1 ratio or worse in America. Considering the US market became the primary one in the PS2 era, and 2D never sold there, you have your explanation for the lack of console 2D. If it doesn't sell in America, a medium-to-large budget game just isn't worth it these days, particularly for a company like Konami, which has clearly focused its efforts on the Western market at this point. Outside of arcade ports or recycled SNK content, 2D games are rarities on consoles and would be so without the handheld market. Drinky is absolutely correct. The handhelds are preserving 2D gaming, not confining it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll take classic 2D gameplay any way I can get but I'd still prefer to play the games in front of the TV - playing handhelds for long periods of time hurts my neck and strains my eyes. The GBA Player is very nice and works well with the Horii control pad (even though the colors look kind of saturated), I wish a PSPlayer would come out or something like that.

Top Bottom