• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S Boot Times Reduced by 5 Seconds in New Update

Esppiral

So I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but after updating my Xbox series X I've noticed that the startup animation is shorter and the sound/music is slightly different, has anyone noticed it too? Am I crazy? Also I liked the old one better this sounds like it is on a rush to finish asap.

fatmarco

So I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but after updating my Xbox series X I've noticed that the startup animation is shorter and the sound/music is slightly different, has anyone noticed it too? Am I crazy? Also I liked the old one better this sounds like it is on a rush to finish asap.
I think most people don't actually see the Xbox SX start up as it is, so it could be something that's slipped through?

ManaByte

Am I crazy?
There Is Jack Tripper GIF by MOODMAN

R6Rider

Gold Member
I don't remember a different startup, but I do know that after the update my Series X was bugging the fuck out. Would boot up to the menu and then nothing would load.

Restarting it seems to have fixed it for now.

Kagey K

Banned
I restarted mine last week and thought something was different, but chalked it up to me just not remembering it right, since I hadn't seen it in so long.

Fredrik

Not sure I even know what it looked like, my TV and AVR are too slow, syncing up and pass through the image and sound takes longer.

Esppiral

So it definetly is different, the sound is shorter and the animation faster, I don't get the point of doing this change, to save 2 seconds? the original sound was cooler now it sounds like it wants to finish asap.

I've recorded the new intro to compare.

Old startup.

New Startup.

I am glad that I am not crazy and there is an actual difference lol.

Last edited:

reforen

So it definetly is different, the sound is shorter and the animation faster, I don't get the point of doing this change, to save 2 seconds? the original sound was cooler now it sounds like it wants to finish asap.

Old startup.

New Startup.

I am glad I am not crazy and there is an actual difference lo.

is faster than the old one, but the startup sound it's like merged and doesn't sound great as old one

35cent

I don't remember a different startup, but I do know that after the update my Series X was bugging the fuck out. Would boot up to the menu and then nothing would load.

Same with my series X - always nice to learn it’s not an isolated issue 😂

Yeah this is happening to my Series X as well. Glad it's not only me so hopefully they'll fix it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I literally never see it. I turn it on with Alexa or the TV and it’s always on the UI by the time I look at it 🤣

Rockondevil

I rarely have to hard reset but i did yesterday and noticed this. I prefer the longer sound myself but again it’s very rare I even hear it.

Idk, I never see the startup. Turn on Xbox, then turn on TV. By the time TV is ready, dashboard is already there.
Not sure if you know but in the settings you can have the Xbox turn the tv on/off or change to the correct input.
So when I turn my box on it’ll turn the tv on automatically and change to the correct channel.

Banned

are you in one of the beta firmwares? for me it's still about the same speed and I don't notice a difference in the audio

I only saw startup on my XSS when I faired up for the first time, it is always on in sleep mode.

I wouldn't do that for a bunch of reasons, first of which is that some games can exhibit performance issues out of nowhere if your system is on for too long. I has issues with that in both PS4 and Xbox One, and I bet it's no different on the new consoles.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I wouldn't do that for a bunch of reasons, first of which is that some games can exhibit performance issues out of nowhere if your system is on for too long. I has issues with that in both PS4 and Xbox One, and I bet it's no different on the new consoles.

Both my PS5 and XSX are always in standby mode. Never any problems.

Banned
Both my PS5 and XSX are always in standby mode. Never any problems.

you might have worse performance in some titles without knowing.
I didn't try on the new consoles due to my issues last gen, so maybe these issues are gone now... but I don't take chances, also they boot so fast now that it's pointless for me

xion4360

mine booted up like always, but there is an update that im installing now so I guess its a stealth change?

Post update and it still boots up the same as always...weird. On a side note, can they make it stop trying to install the avatar apps and reward apps every time I update the console! I don't need them so stop auto installing them

Last edited:

Esppiral

mine booted up like always, but there is an update that im installing now so I guess its a stealth change?

Post update and it still boots up the same as always...weird. On a side note, can they make it stop trying to install the avatar apps and reward apps every time I update the console! I don't need them so stop auto installing them
After the update yours doesn't boot with the same start up than mine? Weird

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The old sound is better for sure, but fuck it...that boot is crazy fast if that's from a cold boot.

I've not seen this yet, did it just go live today?

I'll try tomorrow.

Banned
The old sound is better for sure, but fuck it...that boot is crazy fast if that's from a cold boot.

I've not seen this yet, did it just go live today?

I'll try tomorrow.

wait, so this is actually a thing? beta or normal firmware? because so far I didn't get an update on the normal firmware

edit:

oh didn't see that post

Old startup.

New Startup.

GOD DAMN, that's really damn fast. it was really fast before already but that is now definitely faster than any console since game cartridges were a thing

it is a bit more boring for sure tho

Last edited:

Beechos

I havent seen the xbox startup since i purchased it on day one lol. Standby, auto update, remote access. Have the same thing setup on my ps5 but that seems to crash more often during standby.

HYDE

Banned

I’m not the only one, I can’t play any fucking games without it crashing.

Pedro Motta

Old startup.

New Startup.

NOooooo I loved that old intro, made my sound system go BOOOM and made me happy.

Standby seems to use close to 20 or 25 watts more than just shutting it down.
I have a battery backup with a watt meter display on my Home Theater and when I shut everything down the entire system with TV, Powerbricks, Wireless Router and so on, consumes about 22 to 27 watts.
If I put the Series X in Standby the meter shoots up to 35 to 40 watts when everything is powered down. Thats twice the standby power in off mode.
WTH xbox?

Banned
Standby seems to use close to 20 or 25 watts more than just shutting it down.
I have a battery backup with a watt meter display on my Home Theater and when I shut everything down the entire system with TV, Powerbricks, Wireless Router and so on, consumes about 22 to 27 watts.
If I put the Series X in Standby the meter shoots up to 35 to 40 watts when everything is powered down. Thats twice the standby power in off mode.
WTH xbox?

in standby mode the console searches for updates and installs them. it also is always connected online so you can start it remotely over the internet and use remote play in a different location.

Old startup.

New Startup.

In the bottom new version, the "X" logo is slightly lopsided diagonally to the left.

DragonNCM

are you in one of the beta firmwares? for me it's still about the same speed and I don't notice a difference in the audio

Never had problems in my games till now. Don't know about XSX.
And benefit to install & update games in sleep mode is damn good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom