• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S Won’t Apply Xbox One X Enhancements, Microsoft Confirms

Journey

Banned
Series S behaves like an S console
Series X behaves like an X console

News at 11.

Seriously though, it looks like XSS will enhance BC games, just not to the degree that X1X did because it won't be outputting them at 4K, instead at 1440p, but will still benefit from the superior filtering and framerate.

Makes sense to me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you're playing on a 1080p TV, the Series S will almost always be better. If you're playing on a 4k TV, the One X will be better.

But this isn't a replacement for the One X. That's why it needs less Ram.

Yes.

The expectations is that the lowest end of the new generation is faster even if nominally so than the highest end of the previous generation... until MS decided to bring the helpful PC GPU like branding over... do we expect AMD old school GPU rebrands next ;)?

Journey

Banned
Xss deal gets worse by the minute it seems.damn

Imagine playing many x1 games in 900p in 2020 😬😬😬

4ey9cd.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm getting myself an Xbox Series X and connecting to my 77" OLED display in my livingroom. My son will get an Xbox Series S to connect to his 50" LED 1080p display down in the basement "play room". I wouldn't call myself a "Peasant", so I guess Xbox Series S is aimed at the "Parent"

Close enough lol.
77? Are you adopting?

So IF a game is CPU bottlenecked, the S can do higher FPS. Otherwise, it will be worse than a XBX (better GPU and more memory bandwidth).
The X1X has a significantly worse CPU and a GPU with way less advanced graphical features. The XSS beats the X1X in the features that matter most and IT'S NOT THE UPGRADE TO THE X1X. It's the upgrade to the X1. Does the XSS beat the X1 is the real question and we all know the answer to that. Arguments about the XSS and X1X are silly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You Sony fans should be wondering where a real PS5 is, instead of debating the Series S.

There is not much to debate despite circling of the wagons here and in the resurrected other thread around the one single developer who was “not negative” about XSS vs XSX while we have a lot of other edge cutting tech developers saying min specs do matter and XSS can and will hold back the XSX or better what the XSX could deliver if people developed for it exclusively and the XSS did not exist.

There is not much to debate despite circling of the wagons here and in the resurrected other thread around the one single developer who was “not negative” about XSS vs XSX while we have a lot of other edge cutting tech developers saying min specs do matter and XSS can and will hold back the XSX or better what the XSX could deliver if people developed for it exclusively and the XSS did not exist.
I wonder how many of those 'concerned' developers spoke to MS about assistance with game development seeing how they are having such problems. Doesn't MS provide tech support to show devs how that can maximize the performance of their console. Twitter seems like an odd place to request help. One of the devs admitted he didn't even have a XSS|X dev kit. How credible are these complaints if you don't even have a kit?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wonder how many of those 'concerned' developers spoke to MS about assistance with game development seeing how they are having such problems. Doesn't MS provide tech support to show devs how that can maximize the performance of their console. Twitter seems like an odd place to request help. One of the devs admitted he didn't even have a XSS|X dev kit. How credible are these complaints if you don't even have a kit?

Maybe they are not “asking for help”, maybe they are voicing their dissatisfaction with something they know they can work with, but we’re hoping it would be better or just not exist not to force constraints on their XSX ambitions? Sure, all ignorant developers who have never been briefed by MS with specs and whose jobs is not literally evaluate technology choices from vendors. They problem is that they did not contact tech support.

Principal and Lead Engine developers at Id/Bethesda not having the devkit and/or detailed documentation a few months ahead of launch? I refuse to think MS is so so late with their HW or incompetent, but if you prefer thinking this than criticise MS’s message on the XSS..

Maybe they are not “asking for help”, maybe they are voicing their dissatisfaction with something they know they can work with, but we’re hoping it would be better or just not exist not to force constraints on their XSX ambitions? Sure, all ignorant developers who have never been briefed by MS with specs and whose jobs is not literally evaluate technology choices from vendors. They problem is that they did not contact tech support.

Principal and Lead Engine developers at Id/Bethesda not having the devkit and/or detailed documentation a few months ahead of launch? I refuse to think MS is so so late with their HW or incompetent, but if you prefer thinking this than criticise MS’s message on the XSS..
Jason Ronald one of the engineers of the new Xbox consoles stated developers can scale the games down to the XSS with minimal effort. Perhaps they need to talk to him to figure out of that is done. I suppose he could read their Twitter feeds but I am surprised there isn't a more direct form of communication. Maybe you're right MS is just incompetent with software development and has no developer outreach.

Developers always want the best hardware but a world where only RTX 3090 cards exist wouldn't' have a very large gaming audience would it. I'm pretty sure MS thought about scaling between the consoles and those devs didn't make some sort of new discovery. Until there is proof that XSS can't scale down the XSX version of game this is all just more 'concern' to add to the huge mound about everything that is Xbox. I still don't get it especially if so many are so happy with PS4/5. How do you have the time to worry about what MS is doing when you have so many wonderful PS games? It's just as silly as wondering how the XSS isn't the upgrade for the X1X instead of the XSX.

FeiRR

Banned
They are mad MS showed two consoles with hands on and teardowns before Sony showed one. For some reason it's always MS that garners the most 'concern'. They should be 'concerned' about the low system SOC yields.
Do you really think that a supporter of the dominating platform in console gaming really cares about underdog competition? Having a laugh at Craig or at clueless guesses of Xbox fans about technology is one thing but caring is another. Why would I care about Xbox? I haven't even seen one in person for years. It does not exist in my gaming environment. Just like Internet caps or cheques, it's part of some weird, old-fashioned culture that tries to be more vocal about it's importance than it actually is.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Does this mean Series S will have better enhancements than Xbox 1 X Not tailored to 4k?
Or that it cant have the enhancements because its not stronger than the X1X?

skneogaf

I'm very interested to see the improvements that unpatched games will have as the xbox one was severely underpowered so always dropped fps or visual quality if it was struggling depending on what techniques the developer put in.

The assassin's creed game with high cpu usage will be interesting.

Top Bottom