• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

im_dany

Got my replacement two days ago, it hasn't had any issue going in instant on. It's an older model (has a different power cord) and the fan makes more noise, but I don't care as long as everything works.

EmiPrime

Feel your pain man, I've been there - had to go through THREE One S consoles until I got a quiet one, persevere and you will be happy when you get a good one.

I've had 5 new white Xbox One consoles (2 OG and 3 S) unboxed in my house since Nov 2014 - out of the 5 of them 4 had black marks or scuffs from the factory.

One mark even required rubbing off with a white pencil eraser multiple times as a damp microfibre cloth was not shifting it at all.

Xbox One S is the best looking console ever made but MS have some quality control issues on their new factory products at times.

I have 2 white One S controllers at the moment - one is bundled and one was bought boxed separately ...

The amount of difference between the two controllers is insane when in the hand and paying attention ... Different stick edge grip rubber, totally different feel on triggers pulling and soft cushioning when fully pressed, view and menu buttons totally different, main face buttons need less pressure on one pad, D pad is clicky and loud as hell on one and silent on the other, different feel and noise when pressing in left and right sticks button, handle grips more pronounced and textured on one pad ... I could go on but you get the idea.

Clearly these controllers were made at TWO different factories to different standards of QC.

It's so much effort though. I think I will try one more time and hope to get third time lucky like you and if I get another lemon I will give up on Xbox until Scorpio.

I don't mind fan noise when it sounds like it's pushing air out (in so much as I understand it's doing its job) but when what would otherwise be a fairly quiet fan is rattling and grinding it's way more annoying than a console that sounds like a wind tunnel.

And this:

qIUrMNN.jpg

Is just unacceptably gross. I've never had something straight from the factory that had brown crap on it I had to scrape off to remove and I buy more console gear than any one person should.

Also this is the third Xbox One I've had that again has the bottom of the console box's sticker seals cut, presumably to put in the pack-in codes so I assume this policy. Would be nice if they did it from the top and were a bit more careful given whatever cutting tool they used made a gash on the box....

Is this the noise you're hearing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRMjFbINUcc (wear earphones and crank the volume)

Because if so then I have the same thing, pretty sure it's just a normal hard drive clicking sound. I only really notice it these days when the system is doing an update as that's intensely using the internal drive. Otherwise I run everything off an external so it's not too bad.

I wish I had one like that!! Mine is more like this (not my video). It's beyond distracting, totally takes you out of the game.

I cant even contact ms support, on the site it just tells me to 'log into my ms account', I'm already signed in...... I'm going to be stuck with this faulty console. Think I'll try tesco again later.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I finally got around to trying to make a separate account for when my nephews visit because my nephews came to visit this weekend. However, despite making an Outlook account that was basically Lastname_Guest, when I added that account to my family on the system, it seemed to assign a very random name (AlmondMocha with a string of random numbers) that had nothing to do with any information on the account and also a random icon. Is that what's supposed to happen?

Lucifon

I wish I had one like that!! Mine is more like this (not my video). It's beyond distracting, totally takes you out of the game.

I cant even contact ms support, on the site it just tells me to 'log into my ms account', I'm already signed in...... I'm going to be stuck with this faulty console. Think I'll try tesco again later.

Oh damn that is annoying. Definitely a fan issue. Mine is just a hard drive tick which isn't a big deal especially as I plan to upgrade to Scorpio in a year.

Lucifon

Hey I know one s is supposed to have a spec boost right? Does it matter if I buy a game that says Xbox one? Like are developers taking advantage of the spec boost yet? Do games play better on one s that the regular xb1?

The boost is a very minor gpu clock speed boost. This isn't something for devs to take advantage of really but some things may run ever so slightly better on the S.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Hey I know one s is supposed to have a spec boost right? Does it matter if I buy a game that says Xbox one? Like are developers taking advantage of the spec boost yet? Do games play better on one s that the regular xb1?

As far as I know, it's not a hugely significant boost, and no developer is specifically taking advantage of it. Some games that were coded without a frame rate cap may get a slight FPS boost, but that's about it.

im_dany

Mine does the same noise. The previous one didn't but couldn't go in instant on. I'd rather have this

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's not really a feature, just a byproduct. Developers won't target it.

kodecraft

It's still an XB1, there aren't games stamped with "Only For Xbox One S" on them.

I have some friends who bought XB1s' too thinking it was XB1.5 as I think alot of new XB1s owners did.

Just bought an Xbox One S (first Xbox since og). My question is the fan noise suppose to sound like a ticking noise and should I be worried?

sam777

Just bought an Xbox One S (first Xbox since og). My question is the fan noise suppose to sound like a ticking noise and should I be worried?
Nothing to worry about. Mine has a small noise but when playing or watching something I can't hear it. If it really annoys you, I guess you can just return it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Depends on how far out it is audible. Mine has a mild tick to it but it's inaudible past 2/3rds of a meter. If it's something that can be heard from a more significant range, then something's wrong with it. If it's only when you get close to it, I think that is an inherent part of the new design, maybe the asymmetric fan used produces this.

Depends on how far out it is audible. Mine has a mild tick to it but it's inaudible past 2/3rds of a meter. If it's something that can be heard from a more significant range, then something's wrong with it. If it's only when you get close to it, I think that is an inherent part of the new design, maybe the asymmetric fan used produces this.

This :)

Bessy67

Has anyone gotten the chatpad to work with the new controller? MS seems to think it should since they let me return my original controller and get a replacement, but the chatpad doesn't work on the replacement controller either.

Got my replacement two days ago, it hasn't had any issue going in instant on. It's an older model (has a different power cord) and the fan makes more noise, but I don't care as long as everything works.

Glad you got it sorted, I'm just sticking with this one until I sell or trade for Scorpio as PS4 is my main console and where I buy all multi platform titles so the Xbox will be a Forza machine for a year more or less, so I can live with the issue thankfully.

It's so much effort though. I think I will try one more time and hope to get third time lucky like you and if I get another lemon I will give up on Xbox until Scorpio.

I don't mind fan noise when it sounds like it's pushing air out (in so much as I understand it's doing its job) but when what would otherwise be a fairly quiet fan is rattling and grinding it's way more annoying than a console that sounds like a wind tunnel.

And this:

Is just unacceptably gross. I've never had something straight from the factory that had brown crap on it I had to scrape off to remove and I buy more console gear than any one person should.

Also this is the third Xbox One I've had that again has the bottom of the console box's sticker seals cut, presumably to put in the pack-in codes so I assume this policy. Would be nice if they did it from the top and were a bit more careful given whatever cutting tool they used made a gash on the box....

Yeah stickers were cut on bottom on all the ones I saw to put in FIFA 17/EA Access/Xbox Live cards.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do or if you manage to get a quiet machine - a machine that sounds just like moving air is out there as I have one after the other 2 loud clickers.

Good luck.

EmiPrime

Yeah stickers were cut on bottom on all the ones I saw to put in FIFA 17/EA Access/Xbox Live cards.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do or if you manage to get a quiet machine - a machine that sounds just like moving air is out there as I have one after the other 2 loud clickers.

Good luck.

Thank you. I assume your good controller was the one bought separately?

leng jai

It's pretty strange that they physically cut the packaging to put the bundled games in. At my EB they just gave me the Fifa and EA Access redemption cards separately and the box was sealed.

Hawk269

What difference does it make? Who cares if it's your TV doing the scaling or your Xbox? In the end it's still just a 1080p image being scaled to 4k resolution. People put way too much stock in the whole "upscaled to 4k" thing. It's literally just scaling a 1080p image to 4k resolution. The amount of information in the source signal doesn't change. There's no detail or clarity gained. There's no magic happening here. This is literally a nonissue.

Also, the guy in the video is a dickhead.

Actually there can be a difference between the console doing the upscaling or the TV doing it. Different TV's have different processing and upscaling capabilities. Most do a pretty good job. There is also the Xbox One that does the upscaling if you choose, but depending on your TV, the Xbox One S can do a better job and at times the TV can do a better job. Now the differences are not that big, but it can be noticeable.

For example, I have 2 of this years Sony Flagship TV's, the 940d and the ZD9. The 940d uses the traditional X1 processor for its ability to take HD content and scale it to 4k. The ZD9 series has the new X1 Pro which is 40% more powerful that the older X1. We have 2 Xbox One S consoles in our household and my games look a little bit better, again not much, but a little better on the ZD9. Now the ZD9 is a better TV that the 940d and it has better colors and such. What I notice is that it looks a little cleaner, which is due to the more advanced processor the ZD9 has. Again, the differences are not huge, but slightly better. The Xbox One S has a good scaler, but in my house, I have the TV do the scaling on my ZD9 and I have the Xbox One S do the scaling on the 940d. I just find on the 940d having the Xbox One S do the scaling looks a little better to me.

There are some inexpensive 4k TV's that do not scale SD or HD content very well and in these situations the Xbox One S doing the processing of the scaling is more beneficial.

In the end, depending on what TV you it can be an issue and for many they can see the difference in the scaling processing. Some cheaper TV's can also add more input lag in the scaling because the scaling processor is not very good and can take more time that can have an impact on input lag.

Izuna

Banned
It's pretty strange that they physically cut the packaging to put the bundled games in. At my EB they just gave me the Fifa and EA Access redemption cards separately and the box was sealed.

My codes were inside the box. Did your box have the FIFA bundle sleeve? I wonder if they are just turning their standard stock into "bundles" in this case by giving them the codes

leng jai

My codes were inside the box. Did your box have the FIFA bundle sleeve? I wonder if they are just turning their standard stock into "bundles" in this case by giving them the codes

Mine was a stock box. It seems even more ridiculous that the bundles with FIFA branded boxes still had to be gutted to put the codes in after the fact. Surely they arrived to the store with it already inside?

Nothing to worry about. Mine has a small noise but when playing or watching something I can't hear it. If it really annoys you, I guess you can just return it.

Good luck just returning it! I've been given the merry go round the past few days, the retailer told me to fuck off, I go on ms chat for over an hour and the person didn't even arrange a replacement, finally I got a number to ring which just kept ringing and ringing. Honestly, I would avoid the S unless you're happy with audible fan issues. I'm gonna end up trading the S for the old version at this rate I guess.

Izuna

Banned
Mine was a stock box. It seems even more ridiculous that the bundles with FIFA branded boxes still had to be gutted to put the codes in after the fact. Surely they arrived to the store with it already inside?

Well what I mean is, it sounds like they ran out of the "bundles" and are selling those stocks as bundles, because it's cheaper to just ship codes instead of new sleeves.

Jarrod38

Bought the 500GB BF1 version but really deciding if I should open or return it. Do I really need the system no but would be nice to have the better console.

Recreat3

Ok so not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or not.

I just installed forza horizon 3 fully including the 4.5 gb update. I am now installing gears 4 without the update. Is it possible for me to just simply start the gears 4 update after the disc is 100% installed and then pop in forza horizon 3 so i can start playing..or will the gears 4 update stop when i eject the disc?

Bought the 500GB BF1 version but really deciding if I should open or return it. Do I really need the system no but would be nice to have the better console.

Better console meaning XB1 S replacing a regular XB1 you already have? Can't see why you should bother, unless you're selling OG XB1.

krang

Ok so not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or not.

I just installed forza horizon 3 fully including the 4.5 gb update. I am now installing gears 4 without the update. Is it possible for me to just simply start the gears 4 update after the disc is 100% installed and then pop in forza horizon 3 so i can start playing..or will the gears 4 update stop when i eject the disc?

Playing games on discs? whatyearisit.jpg ;-)

The update is automatically part of the install process, so you would need to disconnect from Live and install Gears from the disc. Once it has installed, connect back to Live and it should update Gears without the disc and let you play FH3.

Recreat3

Playing games on discs? whatyearisit.jpg ;-)

The update is automatically part of the install process, so you would need to disconnect from Live and install Gears from the disc. Once it has installed, connect back to Live and it should update Gears without the disc and let you play FH3.

Haha i knoe but my australian internet doesnt always allow me to download digitally. So slow.

Yeh i basically answered my own question and worked it out but thanks anyway.

Thank you. I assume your good controller was the one bought separately?

You assume correctly, don't get me wrong the other one isn't 'broken' per se' - It's just when you have both in your hand one after the other - the non bundled one just feels more premium and with less little irks that you notice.

The biggest difference would be the triggers they just feel so smooth and and 'correct' on the better pad.

TheShocker

Anyone upgrade to a XB1S without making the jump to 4K? I have a 2010 Panasonic Plasma that I'm still holding onto through next spring. I've been eyeing the green BF1 console, but don't know if it would really be an "upgrade" from my launch console. Any input?

im_dany

Anyone upgrade to a XB1S without making the jump to 4K? I have a 2010 Panasonic Plasma that I'm still holding onto through next spring. I've been eyeing the green BF1 console, but don't know if it would really be an "upgrade" from my launch console. Any input?

I did and I play on a 1080p tv. The ability to place it vertical, the lack of an external psu, the smaller console are great factors if you're able to upgrade for a small price. I basically spent 15€ (50 but sold Fifa) and it was definitely worth it.

leng jai

It's smaller, has no power brick and is ever so slightly faster. Though honestly the main reason to buy it is because it's sexy AF.

piggychan

I got it because it ran on less power.

I got it and have a 1080p screen, got it mainly for FH3 and only paid £198 for it with FIFA 17, I will likely trade it in or sell for £130 when Scorpio comes out so it's not costing me much for a year of ownership and I NEEDED FH3 in my life as nothing on PS4/Wii U can scratch that itch.

It's a great machine and controller.

BouncyFrag

I got it and have a 1080p screen, got it mainly for FH3 and only paid £198 for it with FIFA 17, I will likely trade it in or sell for £130 when Scorpio comes out so it's not costing me much for a year of ownership and I NEEDED FH3 in my life as nothing on PS4/Wii U can scratch that itch.

It's a great machine and controller.
I had the same reasons as this. I needed FH3 and the controller is amazing. The BC support is a plus since I had been mainly playing last gen on the 360.

EmiPrime

Yeah I will be selling it once I have finished Crackdown 3 and Scalebound or Scorpio comes out, whichever happens first. The S will have better resale value to go towards the Scorpio than the OG.

Purdy

Got the dreaded louder ticking noise with my gears xbox one s. Anyone know how painful it is to exchange with Amazon? Also how does that work given I've already redeemed the key?

Decided I've had enough and am now returning the Military Green XBS as well.... same fan issue and I've just given up on the model entirely

oh well :/

Max_Po

Banned
so far I have returned,

2 Gears of War 2 TB Consoles at Walmart,
2 at Microsoft Store @ Yorkdalte
1 at Amazon.ca

and one more to be returned at Walmart this week.

I have found a Gears of War 2TB ED console which is whisper quiet. ... however the problem is that is not perfect, it has marks and the sites have manufacturing marks....

I hate the Military Green and I do not want to take another chance... I think I will most likely return this one as well.

I have not used the codes in the console... as I wanted to get a freakin working console.

pieface

Can anyone get their xbox to turn on with the kinect adapter by saying "Xbox On"? It doen't seem to work for me. I've turned Cortana off.

Also it's stopped working with my AMP correctly, when I do a "xbox volume up/down" it tries to do it, but no longer turns the volume up and down.

dcx4610

Anyone having trouble playing Blu-rays? I try to launch the app and it says an update failed and try to reinstall. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and I'm getting the same error. Any ideas?

Edit: Hard powered off and rebooted and now working. Another problem though. When I try to use the Xbox One app on my PC, it closes a few seconds after streaming.

Tenshin

playing it alot more than my ps4 lately(just got fallout4 from bathesda sale) damn the controller is really nice. the build quality is great better than the ds4. really happy about the xbox one s.

Top Bottom