• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The November 2010 Thread

Achievements but no gamerscore is a great idea.
Quake 2(the version that came with Quake 4 X360) had them.

If they go ahead with gamerscore then peer review is going to have to step it up a ton. I've already heard some stories about people making games that can't possibly fail peer review and I think that's a load of shit.

sciplore

toythatkills said:
For me, the best achievement system on Indies would be 12 achievements for no GamerScore. There'd be no point selling games to whore GS, but Indie Games would appear on people's GamerCards as "played" and there'd still be fun to be had getting the game maxed out. I'm not sure if it'd add much appeal to the "I'd play it if it had achievements" crowd though so could be pointless. See what I did there?

Brilliant idea right here, I hate the idea of indie games to sell on just free gamerscore points.

Luke and RadianGames isn't one of the most successful indie game publishers, that is the problem. Breath of Death, I made a Game with Zombies in it, the Beat Hazard guy, Arkedo, and Barkers Crest have all done better than he has with far less games released by a fair margin.

It isn't fair either as all of Lukes games deserve better sales. I really think however that he should be charging more for the games.

$1 is a piss poor expectation for anyone to buy anything at. We should really feel ashamed of ourselves for that price expectation. It is brutally unfair to expect and after MS takes their cut you are left with about .68 cents per sale. .68 fucking cents!

Back in the NES and SNES days we would be dropping $60 for the equivalent game and still wouldn't have as polished an experience. 4 tries at a 25 cent arcade is $1 for gods sake. When did video game value turn to shit? He is pricing his games at the same level as everyone elses junkware and people are expecting him to do so because of some weird value expectation. We are not talking about some guy who is trying to rip you off, we are talking about someone passionate enough to make 5 games in near as many months and all of them are at more than acceptable quality levels.

And fucking freemium games? Am I hearing you right? You want peoples labour for free now to entertain you? I hope not. Is the $1 price point too expensive? 7 sales in a day and the dev *might* be able to get himself a lunch.

Indie is there to try to foster a creative pool of developers who can function and bring life to the hobby without the heavy infrastructure of a publisher and their creative demands.

As far as gamerscore goes. Make all indie games have 100 points in them that are called indiecreds. See how high people can build up their indiecred.

Fireball is out:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/radiangames-Fireball/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585506de

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8RGDzMnE4k

screen3.jpg

Princess Skittles said:
If somebody buys a game for achievements, what skin is it off your back?

None, but one of people's major complaints about the service is the "wild west"/ un-regulated flow of crap that comprise the majority of releases. I think 0 pt achievements would be fine, but if gamerscore were allowed with IGs, then you WOULD see an increase in the worst kinds of dreck on the service. MS isn't going to pay people to review these games too much, so abuses would inevitably slip through. Tying the amount of any gamerscore to the cost of the game would make things even worse.

toythatkills said:
For me, the best achievement system on Indies would be 12 achievements for no GamerScore. There'd be no point selling games to whore GS, but Indie Games would appear on people's GamerCards as "played" and there'd still be fun to be had getting the game maxed out. I'm not sure if it'd add much appeal to the "I'd play it if it had achievements" crowd though so could be pointless.

This is the best solution. But as you say, the vast majority of people who claimed they were holding out for achievements will also turn their noses up if there is no gamerscore associated with them, so adding them would only satisfy a few. It's probably not worth it.

OR as some have suggested a "separate" score for IGs might work.

GDJustin said:
If you haven't already, read Radian's extremely detailed and transparent sales blog post:

Cliffnotes: He's sold 20,000 games, and earned $15,600, in six months.

Def. eye-opening. He's one of the most successful XBL Indie devs, and it still isn't enough to earn a living.

Was XBL Community Games originally pitched as a way to make a living? I don't remember that. Has the focus changed? I don't believe XBLIG was SUPPOSED to be an AppStore. At least originally, it was a way for students and hobbyist coders to get development tools for cheap and then put their creations up for the world to see. If they make some pocket change from it that was great. If you wanted to make a living, develop for something else or get a job with a studio with a full XBLA or Retail Dev Kit and license.

Warm Machine said:
Luke and RadianGames isn't one of the most successful indie game publishers, that is the problem. Breath of Death, I made a Game with Zombies in it, the Beat Hazard guy, Arkedo, and Barkers Crest have all done better than he has with far less games released by a fair margin.

I've seen a bit of discussion about how RadianGames isn't doing as well as they think it should. RadianGames has put out some really polished releases, and yet I have not bought a single one despite purchasing many other IGs. IMO, there's a reason why Breath of Death, Barker's Crest, and Arkedo have all done better. They've put out more intriguing games. From what I remember all the Radiangames have very simplistic, 80's arcade gameplay and the artstyle from game to game is pretty and yet samey and sterile at the same time. Ultimately, they are a little boring. Breath of Death, Barker's Avatar Golf, and Arkedo's games have more "meat" to them whereas Zombies had the song as the "hook" that made it stand out.

I could not code a game like Luke does, and I admire him for his skills. But as a consumer, I think RadianGames should focus less on a lot of small, simplistic arcade releases, and make something more in depth.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
toythatkills, thanks so much for creating these threads. I could never keep up with the influx of Indiegames and hadn't come here for awhile since the massive round up thread. Nice to see a monthly thread focusing on reviews (although a couple of the previous threads I saw there were no prices on the games). Anyway, I've just been a bought about 5 of them based on recommendations alone. Top work. Thank you.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Was XBL Community Games originally pitched as a way to make a living?

We could argue this all day. The app store could have been a way that people could put fun toys on a phone that some people might pay for. It exploded.

Community Games/ Indie Games should be a way to make a living if you put the effort and production value into it and you can say that for anything. MS and publishers have turned XBLA into a publisher driven service. The little guy cannot break into it anywhere near as easily as in the past. Indie exists as an outlet for anyone to make a game and I'd like to hope that those who make the effort can make some money on it.

This is a two way street. Devs shouldn't crank out shit to glut the service shoving better games off the new release list. Players can't expect everything is worth $1. If Trials dropped on indie I would hope people wouldn't expect it to be worth that price. But if Trials did drop on it I would imagine the developers would have been well rewarded for it (but probably 1/10 at best of what it did on XBLA)

Quixzlizx

Princess Skittles said:
Ah, two replies before anti-achievement rhetoric hit, new record or too slow?

If somebody buys a game for achievements, what skin is it off your back? I guarantee that most people don't purchase their games based on this and for the ones that do.. so what? Achievements add an extra value to games for a lot of people and if they add nothing for you.. so what? Your ability to enjoy a game or not has not had to change because of them.

It's more being annoyed that some people refuse to play quality games if they don't include achievements/trophies than caring about why people play games in general, I'd think. At least it is in my case.

I like the achievements but no gamer score idea, myself.

radiangames Fireball is great, and bought. It's pacifism mode from Geometry Wars 2, with extra levels and stuff. This was by far my favourite part of GW2 so I was always going to enjoy this. You just zoom around with no weapons, going near to bombs to set them off and trying to catch as many enemies in them as possible, before collecting their Geons, or whatever this game calls them. It looks and plays really well, and the scores are satisfyingly high. Online leaderboards, too.

On the other hand, it's just pacifism mode from Geometry Wars 2 fleshed out a bit which feels, I dunno, less great than his last few games which have felt much fresher and more original.

Still an obvious buy though.

Warm Machine said:
And fucking freemium games? Am I hearing you right? You want peoples labour for free now to entertain you? I hope not. Is the $1 price point too expensive? 7 sales in a day and the dev *might* be able to get himself a lunch.
He said Freemium, so, in-app purchases Farmville style. Which is equally a disaster.

The whole service is effectively Freemium already with the trials and "press X to upgrade to the full version."

SOG SOFT 001 - Comet seems very "me too" in several ways.

For one, the title's promise of it being first in a series seems inspired by the praise the developer saw from things like Arkedo Series, radiangames, or Halfbrick. Not so much a bad thing as long as the games actually turn out good I guess. But it also makes me wonder if the developer thought it would make their game look more "important" this way.

The game itself is a running game starring your avatar, much like Avatar Ninja or Impossible Avatar Getaway 2 (and probably several others I have repressed, those are the ones that do it well).

The running gameplay combined with the graphical/audio style gives it a poor, broke mans Bit Trip Runner feel to it. Oh and the names for the stages on the title screen, very Bit Trip.

To it's credit it tries something different for a runner game, partway through the level the camera moved to a top down view and you could move left/right along tracks. Unfortunately an in-game "we're not letting you go further unless you buy now" message kicks in about 1 second after that, so you have no idea if it's a good addition or not.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I've seen a bit of discussion about how RadianGames isn't doing as well as they think it should. RadianGames has put out some really polished releases, and yet I have not bought a single one despite purchasing many other IGs. IMO, there's a reason why Breath of Death, Barker's Crest, and Arkedo have all done better. They've put out more intriguing games. From what I remember all the Radiangames have very simplistic, 80's arcade gameplay and the artstyle from game to game is pretty and yet samey and sterile at the same time. Ultimately, they are a little boring. Breath of Death, Barker's Avatar Golf, and Arkedo's games have more "meat" to them whereas Zombies had the song as the "hook" that made it stand out.

I could not code a game like Luke does, and I admire him for his skills. But as a consumer, I think RadianGames should focus less on a lot of small, simplistic arcade releases, and make something more in depth.

Absolutely this, I like RadianGames, I really do. There's always a high level of polish with each release, so when I download trials I know it's a quality game. Unfortunately though, I also come to expect a black background* with neon color circles/squares/triangles for main character and enemies. Don't get me wrong they're great games, but they're a tad bit too simplistic for my tastes. After playing his trials I ask myself, "Why would I purchase this game if really I'm only going to play it no more than 1 or 2 sessions?" The only answer I can find was to purchase just for the sole reason to support his development, although to be perfectly honest I'd rather spend it on something I would thoroughly enjoy even if it ended up costing me more than 80pts to do so.

*I realize JoyJoy doesn't have a black background but I'm oversimplifying my argument.

Night is a 2D platformer that looks nice (until the character moves), but the jumping is awful. If you're not horrendously irritated by the second screen then you deserve some kind of prize.

Can't say anything about SOG SOFT 001 - Comet that HadesGigas hasn't already covered.

Backyard Battles is so bad that the people involved should be ashamed at themselves for releasing it in this state. Didn't you play it? Didn't it occur to you that it was terrible? You walk around REALLY fucking slowly, shooting a water pistol at insects in a horribly inaccurate manner. Then when you hit them 766 times, they die, at which point you're overwhelmed by more insects. It's one of the worst games I've ever played, but credit: the variation in playable characters is hilarious.

Bomber is a game where you move left and right and shoot balloons to catch falling money. It's weirdly fun for about two minutes, but that quickly wears off as the incredibly samey gameplay gets tiresome. What you do in the first five seconds is the entire game.

Gravi Dot has an absurdly overmade dev logo. It's another of those "press the A button and hope that enough random dots fly past at once" games where there's no skill, you just press one single button and hope. This one has lovely music and lots of charm, but it still barely works as a game.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Achievements but no gamerscore is a great idea.

I think I proposed exactly this in the Indie Games Hidden in Dashboard thread. :lol

I think it's very important that indie games get achievements. Not even as a way to get people to buy them to achievement whore, but as a form of advertisement. I look at my friends' game lists and achievements all the time, and indies don't show up there. If they had achievements, even zero-point ones, you'd be able to see Tobe's Vertical Adventure and Leave Home right in with the XBLA and retail games when browsing someone's account, which would be a huge marketing boost for good indies, IMO.

But yeah, I think either plan would really work from a consumer standpoint: zero-point achievements that require no oversight, or 50 points of achievements per game that have to be approved independently of the game by an advisory board.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dr. Zoidberg said:
None, but one of people's major complaints about the service is the "wild west"/ un-regulated flow of crap that comprise the majority of releases. I think 0 pt achievements would be fine, but if gamerscore were allowed with IGs, then you WOULD see an increase in the worst kinds of dreck on the service. MS isn't going to pay people to review these games too much, so abuses would inevitably slip through. Tying the amount of any gamerscore to the cost of the game would make things even worse.
I think they should have score. A good middle ground can be reached. There are MANY 400 MS point XBLA games they give 200 points of gamerscore. I don't think it's too much to say 240/400 MS point XLIG games can get 100 points of gamerscore and to have games with achievements need to be approved to avoid what would basically be "freebie" points.

Princess Skittles said:
I think they should have score. A good middle ground can be reached. There are MANY 400 MS point XBLA games they give 200 points of gamerscore. I don't think it's too much to say 240/400 MS point XLIG games can get 100 points of gamerscore and to have games with achievements need to be approved to avoid what would basically be "freebie" points.

Yeah. I would basically agree with this, with the caveat that I would rather have the zero-score achievements added than maintain the status quo, if Microsoft for whatever reason was steadfast in refusing to allow pointed achievements for XBLIG.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Gen X said:
Great game, just purchased. Tell me though, are the leaderboards in some of these Indie Games broken? I can't believe there are only 4-6 people on the leaderboards for Avaglide (Come on people, it's almost Pilot Wings!). I see there are about 90 on this Fireball atm, but then it is brand new.

Indie Games leaderboards are pretty much hackjobs that use gold multiplayer to connect you to someone else who is playing the game that instant to share scores. So if it's an older game the odds that you're the only gold member playing it in the world are higher and thus you won't be getting more scores.

A lot of developers leave their 360 running non-stop at first to keep the scores in-sync. But it's not really something practical to keep up for months on end.

Gowans

toythatkills said:
Indie Games Winter Uprising.

The first week of December is going to be IMMENSE.

Cthulhu, Soulcaster 2, 11 other really promising games and an update to Hypership (REVERSE WAVES!) all releasing together, to show people that it's not all avatar shit.

Gonna be amazing.
Wow so it this top tier XNA guys timing their releases to make their own Summer of Arcade type thing to advertise the service?

You should give this it's own thread if so Toy, hope some media picks up on this and gets the word out to highlight this stuff.

Gowans007 said:
Wow so it this top tier XNA guys timing their releases to make their own Summer of Arcade type thing to advertise the service?

You should give this it's own thread if so Toy, hope some media picks up on this and gets the word out to highlight this stuff.
Yeah, I'll do a thread for it a bit nearer the time if nobody else has by then

The Zombie Shotgun Massacre 2 is The Zombie Shotgun Massacre with a "2" written on the box and a palette-swapped main character. Red bikini? SEQUEL TIME.

jgkspsx

toythatkills said:
radiangames Fluid is the fourth game from radiangames, after JoyJoy, Crossfire (now reduced to 80 Microsoft Points) and the excellent Inferno. Fluid, though, is the best of the lot.
80 points? Are you kidding me? This would have been a solid gold purchase at $5.

toythatkills said:
The Zombie Shotgun Massacre 2 is The Zombie Shotgun Massacre with a "2" written on the box and a palette-swapped main character. Red bikini? SEQUEL TIME.

Oh for crying out loud.

toythatkills said:

Cthulhu, Soulcaster 2, 11 other really promising games and an update to Hypership (REVERSE WAVES!) all releasing together, to show people that it's not all avatar shit.

Gonna be amazing.

This on the other hand is excellent news. If only Ancient was willing to get in on this we'd have almost all of the top-tier Indie game devs releasing games at the same time.

Oh and Decimation X is awesome but c'mon guys... #1 on the Japanese Indie charts? That spot belongs to Protect Me Knight.

Feep said:
There's no reason why the community shouldn't be able to fail this shit.

To be fair I looked at some screenshots and it looks like there are new areas, sprites, etc.

The game most likely still plays like absolute shit though. It's already garnered an average rating of 3 stars so what the heck do I know?

Feep

Banned
toythatkills said:

besiktas1 said:
I think they should also start allowing freemium games too. I'm sure that'll help the indie channel too.
All that'll do is hurt devs.

People will start expecting for free what we are already only paying a dollar or two for.

Ventron

Feep said:

If the community could use common sense in failings rather than following the letter of Microsoft's guidelines, there'd be no need for this "uprising" and the channel would have a much better reputation.

The rigmarole of Avatar Massage Online's peer review was one to remember, though :lol

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The game most likely still plays like absolute shit though. It's already garnered an average rating of 3 stars so what the heck do I know?

Hate to quote myself and all but dammit. Zombie Shotgun Massacre 2 is a major improvement over its predecessor. The mechanics are a bit tighter, stupid things like the puking zombies not doing any warning at all before uh...puking were fixed, and well damn it's like somebody gave a crap.

Ah fuck it. Dualhaze earned my dollar. What the hell.

And...aye..NEVERMIND

IGNORE ALL THIS

Already beat the game

I think it's even shorter than the last one. Seriously I think you can get half-way through the game on the trial alone.
I'm sorry I said anything now.

Here is a completely terrible review for Zombie Shotgun Massacre 2.

Okay that's it...that's it.

Fuck videogames. I'm taking a break.

Intruder_qc

Neo Member
I have 180 MS points to spend...

So what will be your recommendation for 2 x 80 MS points games?

I just bought the following :

- Breath of Death VII
- Hypership Out of Control
- Shoot 1UP
- Explosionade

Intruder_qc said:
I have 180 MS points to spend...

- Breath of Death VII
- Shoot 1UP
- Explosionade
Apple Jack and either radiangames Fluid or Old School Racer or Gravitron 360. Trial 'em all and take your pick.

Pie Collect is a simple game where you pilot a ship on a 2D plane to collect pies, every pie you collect creates an enemy so the longer you play, the harder it gets. It's a quite compelling mechanic that led me to play much longer than I should have because it's not really that good. The scoring mechanic is pretty weak, could use combos and more numbers. The game isn't nice looking, and the hit-box is a bit suspect.

nli10

toythatkills said:

Gonna be amazing.

Oh gosh. Ordering a points card today seems like a good move. Will need my rebates for this too...

Trumpets

Intruder_qc said:

- Breath of Death VII
- Shoot 1UP
- Explosionade

Since you like shooters I'd recommend Leave Home. It's about as complete and well realised a game as you'll find anywhere.

Gotta go to work in a bit so will post impressions later, but if you have even the slightest interest in tower defence, you absolutely need to buy Commander - World 1.

Angle of Attack. Yet another twin-stick game that looks like Geometry Wars, however this one has a very slight strategic twist in that you have to buy little ships to construct 'nodes' in order to complete the level. Unfortunately, the ship control is poor and the node-building adds little.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I actually don't like Fireball that much. It's thin on content compared to Fluid and Inferno, and it's core mechanic is an inferior version of something that already exists (GeoWars Pacifism), unlike his other games, which are original. I also find its orange/red/blue color scheme very tacky and low-rent, which is weird considering all the other radiangames have such a great style.

My main gameplay beef is that the core mechanic of getting close to a bomb and then waiting for it to explode just isn't that great. I often die just waiting for one to blow up, which doesn't feel right. Pacifism's instant feedback of weaving through the gates is superior.

Still... it's $1. ONE. Still a great value and even though I only played it one evening, I don't mind being entertained for an hour for $1.

Right now my ranking is Inferno > Fluid >>> Fireball. Haven't playing JoyJoy or Crossfire yet.

GDJustin said:
My main gameplay beef is that the core mechanic of getting close to a bomb and then waiting for it to explode just isn't that great. I often die just waiting for one to blow up, which feel right.

Not sure what you mean by "waiting" but if it results in you often dying, it's probably not a winning strategy.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
HadesGigas said:
Not sure what you mean by "waiting" but if it results in you often dying, it's probably not a winning strategy.

You've played the game, right? In Fireball, you don't trigger the explosions yourself. You get within proximity of a bomb, and then it explodes on its own after a set amount (half a second? one second?) later.

It's not a huge deal. It just makes the game not feel as good as GeoWars pacifism.

Since the bombs don't explode right away and the player can't trigger them at the specific moment they want (like they can with the gates in GeoWars), this makes it tougher to predict exactly what enemies will be caught in the explosion. So it's harder to plan out chains, harder to create a movement line on the fly, etc.

Ventron

Indie Games got rid of the old Avatars-at-play icon and now displays boxarts like the other categories. Microsoft also seemed to have fixed a devastating bug where XBLIG was invisible to under-18 accounts.

GDJustin said:
You've played the game, right? In Fireball, you don't trigger the explosions yourself. You get within proximity of a bomb, and then it explodes on its own after a set amount (half a second? one second?) later.

Right, but you don't wait... you go about your business getting more enemies to cluster up. It does feel different from pacifism, can't use the exact same strategy, but I don't think it's worse.

And yeah I played the game, check out the leaderboards :D

Dave Long

Banned
I like Fireball quite a bit. It's not that different from Pacifism, sure, but the bomb delay certainly adds some cool strategy. Do you double back into the swarm to make sure they get caught when the bomb goes off? Do you wait until that bomb is nearer to another to set up a chain of bombs? You want to get the Nova bombs as often as possible since those do go off instantaneously.

It's a nifty game and certainly worth a buck. I only had time to trial it tonight, but I plan to buy. Neat game.

Dave Long said:
I like Fireball quite a bit. It's not that different from Pacifism, sure, but the bomb delay certainly adds some cool strategy. Do you double back into the swarm to make sure they get caught when the bomb goes off? Do you wait until that bomb is nearer to another to set up a chain of bombs? You want to get the Nova bombs as often as possible since those do go off instantaneously.

It's a nifty game and certainly worth a buck. I only had time to trial it tonight, but I plan to buy. Neat game.
Controls like goddamn butter.

I was slipping and weaving in between enemies so smooth while my girlfriend was watching. I know I'm getting some ass tonight.

Ventron said:
Indie Games got rid of the old Avatars-at-play icon and now displays boxarts like the other categories. Microsoft also seemed to have fixed a devastating bug where XBLIG was invisible to under-18 accounts.

I just saw that an hour or so ago. Looks really great!

Dark Octave said:
Controls like goddamn butter.

I was slipping and weaving in between enemies so smooth while my girlfriend was watching. I know I'm getting some ass tonight.

LMFAO that was classic!:lol

Top Bottom