• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox has told developers that they cannot charge players to upgrade their current-gen games to Xbox Series X versions as DLC, as an alternative to its

If Microsofts strategy is to have their hardware sold more like smart phones with payment plans and contracts and trade ins towards your next upgrade then the software should be somewhat similar too.

When you buy a new phone you don't have to pay to upgrade your apps. You shouldn't have to with console games either.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Either this, or we can only play it when the disc is inserted in the console.

Hopefully that gets cleared up. It's going to suck for people who own physical media now and then jump into the Lockhart and realize they can't upgrade because the console doesn't have a disc drive.

Last edited:

BlueLyria

Hopefully that gets cleared up. It's going to suck for people who own physical media now and then jump into the Lockhart and realize they can't upgrade because the console doesn't have a disc drive.

Yep, Nice mention, I absolutely forgot about the digital only variants.
So it might be linked to your account if you previously inserted the disc on your old console or something like that?
I'd guess the Digital version only gets BC for games bought on the Microsoft Store

If Microsofts strategy is to have their hardware sold more like smart phones with payment plans and contracts and trade ins towards your next upgrade then the software should be somewhat similar too.

When you buy a new phone you don't have to pay to upgrade your apps. You shouldn't have to with console games either.
You know what happens to old phone apps that stop getting updated? They stop working entirely. Upgrading your apps is free, because it is mandatory to use it at all.

yurinka

Games like FIFA (outside that 3 months period) or GTA won't charge you as a DLC the next gen upgrade, they'll charge you the full game even if you bought it for XBO.

I think most games not published (or under a marketing deal) by Microsoft (or Sony) won't give you the next gen version for free. Same goes both for Sony and MS.

If CD Project Red will be upgrading Cyberpunk 2077 for next gen for free, same for Ubisoft with AC Valhalla, anyone can do it.
Yes, everyone will be allowed to do it in both PS5 and Series X. But I think that it will be like with Crossbuy between previous PS home consoles or portables: I think only a small percent of the games will support it because to make games is very expensive and they are already making an effort selling each game AAA for $60.

This kind of shit has to go honestly, this is the worst thing that happened this generation, the need to have a spreadsheet with all the multiple game versions.
It just says that the next gen version will be released later because the new consoles won't be in the market on September, and that the base game will be $10 more expensive on next gen. And well, that they'll have a $99 special edition. Nothing too complex, bad or new.

Last edited:

Exede

On average people buy 10 games per gen. That's 600$. 10$ per month would 840$ per gen.
10 games in 7 years? This seems very low. I buy like 10+ a year. Well on all systems combined though. Ok when i think about it... i haven't bought many Xbox games the hole gen. I own the Game Pass ultimate.... wait.... ok ok you win!

Kagey K

Banned
10 games in 7 years? This seems very low. I buy like 10+ a year. Well on all systems combined though. Ok when i think about it... i haven't bought many Xbox games the hole gen. I own the Game Pass ultimate.... wait.... ok ok you win!

See that is the lightbulb moment.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Can you link us to said interview?

I've not seen him come out and explicitly say that.
I looked and you are right, headline kinda twisted the words saying it was profitable but when you read the interview he didn’t say that when he answered, just that it’s good business for them and that it’s very sustainable.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it did turn a profit for them though but was all heavily reinvested in more content, just like Netflix does.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
On average people buy 10 games per gen. That's 600$. 10$ per month would 840$ per gen.
I’m pretty sure people didn’t buy that many movies either or music, yet they’ll enjoy a lot more movies or music thanks to subscription services.

These types of services are made to diversify and change your habits. Also, people might have bought 10 games on average, but they see the 10$ a month and think that it’s super cheap so why not. And then when that new COD comes out they still buy it because they have to have it.

Netflix/Spotify/Game Pass are enablers and are very good at what they do.

Top Bottom