• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox has told developers that they cannot charge players to upgrade their current-gen games to Xbox Series X versions as DLC, as an alternative to its

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, Netflix is other cancerous tumor for movie industry. Quantity over quality, that is the future of game pass, ps now, etc. Microsoft is taking loses now because want promote this service. On 3 or 4 years, will be funny see people angry with MS because their exclusive games are little games or SAAS games.

If $59 is not profitable for companies, how the hell $10 month for +100 games would be profitable.
On average people buy 10 games per gen. That's 600$. 10$ per month would 840$ per gen.

Stuart360

Nice gesture, but i dont think many devs will use smart delivery anyway unfortunately. Even some of the people confirmed to use it, like CDPR with Cyberpunk, have also strongly hintd there will also be a proper next gen version anyway at a later date.

vkbest

On average people buy 10 games per gen. That's 600$. 10$ per month would 840$ per gen.

Sorry but that comparison is dumb. That average sold per console is because casuals who buys a console with one game (FIFA for example) and don't buy anymore, people who break their console and buy a replace or even people who has several models, I know people with PS4, Slim and Pro. No way the real user base from PS4 is 100 million unique users. The real market is pretty lower than sold consoles numbers

That model would hurt AAA model of people who really spend money on games, so if you willing to don't get Witcher 3, RDR 2, and similar games on the future, congratulations. That model MS is selling us is not profitable, they know it, and we will see on 3-4 years. I don't know if they will increase price, or release AA games instead AAA games, but don't think current Game Pass is the same Game Pass you will get on years

Last edited:

Kenpachii

They will just sell complete editions or remasters with barely any difference and call it a new version. Nothing microsoft can do about it.

Boss Mog

Just patch the game to the PS5 version for free. CDProject Red is already doing that.
CDPR will realease a PS5 patch for the PS4 version but it will not be the PS5 version that releases in 2021. It'll just be a patch that bumps resolution or framerate, not the full next gen experience developed for PS5.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Since I new Typescript, I've seeing microsoft with a good eye, tho this one seems very obstrusive, tbh, companies have to spend resources for that and they have to see it profitable if they're doing it

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry but that comparison is dumb. That average sold per console is because casuals who buys a console with one game (FIFA for example) and don't buy anymore, people who break their console and buy a replace or even people who has several models, I know people with PS4, Slim and Pro. No way the real user base from PS4 is 100 million unique users. The real market is pretty lower than sold consoles numbers

That model would hurt AAA model of people who really spend money on games, so if you willing to don't get Witcher 3, RDR 2, and similar games on the future, congratulations. That model MS is selling us is not profitable, they know it, and we will see on 3-4 years. I don't know if they will increase price, or release AA games instead AAA games, but don't think current Game Pass is the same Game Pass you will get on years
If you can back this up with actual sources and numbers I'm willing to believe you. I do get that there is indeed a certain percentage of the market of people who bought more than 1 Sony console, but I would like to know the numbers because my educated guess would be maybe 15%?

I think they mean automatic BC where your game will look considerably better than on previous console....like boost mode on PS4 pro but obviously way more powerful. That will be free.

But it doesn't stop them from making an 8k version with RTX and whatnot a year down the line. Therea no way they would put that much effort into literally remastering a whole game for free. They will give you FREE "it runs and looks better on new HW" but we will still be getting down the road the real deal remasters.

PresetError

Neophyte
I've been loving Game Pass, bring on the cancer I guess.

Let's see how you love it when your whole games library is trapped behind a monthly fee or when the inevitable fragmentation of the subscription based services forces you to pay monthly for multiple platforms with distinct catalogues like already happened with TV shows and movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Is it console warring to fundamentally disagree with what Microsoft envisions as the future of gaming?
No, but this gen is pretty lost this narrative, since all 3 console manufactuers does this you know. And who was first, who cares, at this point and for that record "it would not happened", maybe not, but companies jumping on the bandwagon does not make them better. And certainly, shit like GamePass is something I enjoyed very much, gold was shit and to lesser degree PSN+ (better games), but GP is really good service.

CDPR will realease a PS5 patch for the PS4 version but it will not be the PS5 version that releases in 2021. It'll just be a patch that bumps resolution or framerate, not the full next gen experience developed for PS5.

There's actually multiple upgrades. What your talking about is the first upgrade.

??? That’s your takeaway from this?

Yeah fuck MS for wanting to save anyone money /s
If MS is serious about saving us money, they could FUND every next gen upgrade. MS can't just tell third party to not charge for an upgrade that actually have a production cost. If they don't want to pay for it then someone else has to.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
If MS is serious about saving us money, they could FUND every next gen upgrade. MS can't just tell third party to not charge for an upgrade that actually have a production cost. If they don't want to pay for it then someone else has to.
Production cost isn't as high as a new full game though... Not even $40 per game if we take NBA as the example. ($100 for both versions)

People seem to forget that this supports Microsofts model and without it, their whole subscription based model would fail. This isn’t about being the good guy, it’s about ensuring they get a steady stream of income.

Production cost isn't as high as a new full game though... Not even $40 per game if we take NBA as the example. ($100 for both versions)
If it is so cheap, then why aren't MS paying for it then? You are avoiding my question. If next gen upgrade is cheap and easy, then Ms has no reason to force anyone to do it for free; they could just fund it themselves.

Both MS and Sony would be funding the next gen upgrade of their 1st party games. But the costs of doing it for third party games is unreasonable. And that is fine; but to also demand that third party do it for free is simply unenforceable.

People seem to forget that this supports Microsofts model and without it, their whole subscription based model would fail. This isn’t about being the good guy, it’s about ensuring they get a steady stream of income.
If it is so important to Microsoft, then they better open their alleged unlimited warchest and pay for it. Because if you want something then someone has to pay. And if no one pay, then nobody gets to have it.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I’m confused, the title directly contradicts the actual text? Free seems to apply to smart delivery only, which in itself is optional to use as an upgrade path. So fees for upgrades can most certainly be applied by publishers on Xbox.

What a fluff piece.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
If it is so cheap, then why aren't MS paying for it then? You are avoiding my question. If next gen upgrade is cheap and easy, then Ms has no reason to force anyone to do it for free; they could just fund it themselves.

Both MS and Sony would be funding the next gen upgrade of their 1st party games. But the costs of doing it for third party games is unreasonable. And that is fine; but to also demand that third party do it for free is simply unenforceable.

If it is so important to Microsoft, then they better open their alleged unlimited warchest and pay for it. Because if you want something then someone has to pay. And if no one pay, then nobody gets to have it.
Microsoft is funding it for their own games. You're saying that those upgrades are expensive otherwise they would give it for free, while I'm saying those upgrades aren't that expensive and they just want to earn extra money.

Microsoft would have to pay the exact same as their customers if they wanted free upgrades on their platform. Why do you think this isn't an issue for Valhalla, Cyberpunk, FIFA 21, but it is an issue for the other companies? You think EA, fucking EA does this out of the good of their heart? That an upgrade is expensive but EA does something nice for gamers?

Microsoft is funding it for their own games. You're saying that those upgrades are expensive otherwise they would give it for free, while I'm saying those upgrades aren't that expensive and they just want to earn extra money.

Microsoft would have to pay the exact same as their customers if they wanted free upgrades on their platform. Why do you think this isn't an issue for Valhalla, Cyberpunk, FIFA 21, but it is an issue for the other companies? You think EA, fucking EA does this out of the good of their heart? That an upgrade is expensive but EA does something nice for gamers?
EA does it because they make money from lootboxes. When your revinue come from as many people playing it as possible, free uprades is a nobrainer. It is the same reason Free to Play games on PS4 does not need PS+ to have multiplayer.

Three

Did anyone actually read that story or just the title? They don't want upgrades to be charged DLC but a dev/pub is free to make totally separate current gen and next gen versions of the game like 2K is doing with NBA 2k21 and as almost all publishers have done in past generations. This article is basically meaningless.
I wouldn't say the article is meaningless because it confirms one option is gone. The $10 upgrade we saw with Call of Duty Ghosts during the previous transition.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Yes, Netflix is other cancerous tumor for movie industry. Quantity over quality, that is the future of game pass, ps now, etc. Microsoft is taking loses now because want promote this service. On 3 or 4 years, will be funny see people angry with MS because their exclusive games are little games or SAAS games.

If $59 is not profitable for companies, how the hell $10 month for +100 games would be profitable.
Even in a recent interview Phil Spencer said Gamepass was profitable for them. Looking at what their studios are making there isn’t anything pointing to small GAAS, you are basically talking out of your ass without any proof of what you are putting forward. Netflix is a bit of both quality and quantity; they need big hitters once in a while and smaller titles to fill in the gaps. MS is doing that very well with all the indies they add to the service and the big hitters are their own first party titles. It’s not really hard to understand and why your worries are unfounded.

Also, 59$ is plenty profitable for companies, the fact some are talking at raising prices isn’t because they’re aren’t making money, but if costs have gone up they just don’t want their profit margin to go down either. I mean when companies like Capcom said they needed money for Street Fighter V because they couldn’t afford it yet are currently reporting record profits, you know they are bullshitting.

Actually if it meant the difference between getting a next gen patch or not, I'd be happy to pay a small fee. I mean how many older games that I've already played do I really want to play next gen? Not many.

After all we've been shelling out more for barebones PS3/ 360 remasters this entire gen haven't we?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Do you really believe Phil Spencer would say the gamepass is not profitable on a interview?
Yeah right, their losing money hand over fist but he will just lie in front of the whole world, including investors.

Conspiracy theorist much?

They said the next gen upgrade will be free on both XSX and ps5. Its not just a "bump" in resolution.

Do you really believe Phil Spencer would say the gamepass is not profitable on a interview?

He wouldnt say its profitable if it wasnt. They would use a "spin" language to make it seem like its growing anyway. If he says its profitable, its profitable. Period.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
I’d like for you to explain how they are cancer because as far as I know all it’s done is make it more accessible to more people which is what this is all about.

Because these services devaluate the products they offer in the same way big intermediaries in the food industry have cut the ties between producer and consumer so producers are forced to deliver a product with less quality to be sustainable and consumers get worst goods so the intermediary can cash in its bigger cut providing nothing but accessibility.

Dolomite

Again. I'm asking someone to clarify "What is SmartDelivery" because it's sounding like it's an amazing piece of technology.

Cause I thought SmartDelivery was, basically, a checkin system that recognizes the console you're on. If you have a Series X and only owned the One X version, the system give you the Series X version, if it's available. The developers still have to do all the work to re-code it for the next gen consoles. Am I misunderstanding SmartDeliver? What's the difference between this and CrossBuy?

Edit: As far as we know, CyberPunk 2077 will get a free upgrade to next gen. Is CDPR having to work on the PS5 version while the Series X version is automatically created by SmartDelivery?
Same concept different execution. IMHO it doesn't matter who did it first so long as it becomes a standard. I see it as something Sony started then gave up on. TLOU, COD ect had small fees to upgrade the PS4 versions respectively but it was still something new and pro consumer. MS requiring all 1st party titles to be BC, work on PC via Smart delivery and offer both disc and digital upgrades free of all first party titles via smart delivery takes it a step further imo. When you toss Xcloud in the mix, you can play all your rules literally anywhere on almost any mobile device? There's the difference. So not new but definitely improved and commitment from MS

Last edited:

Dolomite

Let's see how you love it when your whole games library is trapped behind a monthly fee or when the inevitable fragmentation of the subscription based services forces you to pay monthly for multiple platforms with distinct catalogues like already happened with TV shows and movies.
Where are you sourcing this information? Are you assuming because Gamepass could be as big as Netflix that it's bad? Netflix creates maybe 40% of thier own content. The rest are bonified, age tested programs that have large following but do not air on network TV. I do not miss cable, I used to pay for it. $120 a month for 3 boxes and preprogrammed Content, when Netflix offers better for cheaper and up to 4-8 devices? On demand was created as a response to Netflix because people like quality and quantity without paying a premium. GTA4, Red dead, Prize Gears 5 Halo wars, no man's sky, all on game pass, with hundred of other titles for $10 a month. Spotify was just a poor example as no one literally no one would prefer to pay for a song track by track.

Last edited:
I don't care either way if they offer a discount or not. 99% of games this gen have been fucking shite and the cheek to now charge more for a cross-gen game that will inevitably to chocked-full of DLC, LOotboxes, MTX and all the usual fucking grindy dross

fuck em, fuck em all. Gamepass,PSN and XBLG is all I need to keep me going. I'll splash out on Baldurs gate 3, divinity 3 and the rare handful of games that are worth the money. The rest can fuck off though.

Fucking greedy motherfuckers

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

I doubt any of these companies have any interest in people not just spending $60-70-100 (special editions) a pop per games.

It's entirely not the point of subscription services to remove the ability to pay full price directly for a product. For one, they in general only offer games for a limited time.

Because these services devaluate the products they offer in the same way big intermediaries in the food industry have cut the ties between producer and consumer so producers are forced to deliver a product with less quality to be sustainable and consumers get worst goods so the intermediary can cash in its bigger cut providing nothing but accessibility.

Literally absolutely nothing to do with subscription services.

They exist to generate more revenue for the producers of the product... that's it.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
That's unfair to developers because people would just buy the old Xbox or PS4 version in bargain bins or wait until there is a deep discount on digital and they would get the next-gen version for free.

That's unfair to developers because people would just buy the old Xbox or PS4 version in bargain bins or wait until there is a deep discount on digital and they would get the next-gen version for free.

Im pretty sure they’ve thought of this.

Were still not 100% sure these free upgrades would even apply to the disk versions. At least, ive never heard that confirmed by anyone.

Ive always assumed the free upgrades were for the digital versions.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Im pretty sure they’ve thought of this.
Not a bad idea 🤔🤔
Were still not 100% sure these free upgrades would even apply to the disk versions. At least, ive never heard that confirmed by anyone.

Ive always assumed the free upgrades were for the digital versions.

Once people are aware of this loophole, who's going to buy cross-gen titles on the new consoles lol?

Even if it's digital only, a lot of them are 50%-75% off after a few months.

AmuroChan

How does Smart Delivery handle physical media? Let's say I have the X1 physical version of Cyberpunk. Then I upgrade to the digital version on my Series X via Smart Delivery. If I were to then sell or trade in my X1 physical copy of Cyberpunk, do I still have the digital version on my Series X?

wolffy71

Banned
How does Smart Delivery handle physical media? Let's say I have the X1 physical version of Cyberpunk. Then I upgrade to the digital version on my Series X via Smart Delivery. If I were to then sell or trade in my X1 physical copy of Cyberpunk, do I still have the digital version on my Series X?
Activation code probably. Used copies will be unable to upgrade is my guess.

BlueLyria

Activation code probably. Used copies will be unable to upgrade is my guess.
Either this, or we can only play it when the disc is inserted in the console.

I'd also like to mention that the idea that 60 USD is unprofitable isn't truly accurate, It's only unprofitable because certain triple A games will double their budget only in marketing.

Paracelsus

I tried to explain this to someone today in a simple way;

Any losses that a corporation experiences will be passed on to the consumer, Smart Deliver = $70 games

He called me an idiot.

There's also the fact you people said thanks to digital delivery games would be cheaper, and now they're $70 plus game content cut at launch and sold in season passes etc.

how the fuck are people still saying this is a bad thing??...is it because they dont have a gamepass type service and are happy to pay $60-70 US per game?

We know sony released a number of paid remasters last gen which could of probably been patches and a number of third party publishers have been simply updating the rez and changing a few textures and calling it a day...its a shitty business model and diverts resource away from creating new games

Can you imagine the new games we would be playing if we didn't get paid remasters?

We probably would of had the last of us 2 a couple of years ago if ND didnt remaster TLOU1/Uncharted and we would of probably been looking a new IP or a LOU third chapter for ps5 launch

I hope BC becomes mandatory and you are not charged for resolution bumps with DLC thrown in

Top Bottom