• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

Fredrik

Why one game is a day one release, and the other is a new port coming to Xbox.

They should both be able to have their own threads, and would be able to, if they were only available for 69.99. The fact that they are coming to Gamepass day one shouldn’t stop people from being able to discuss thier hopes for the ports, or releases.

New news new thread.

DQB2 was officially announced for Xbox, but because of Gamepass we can’t talk about it?

Thats fucking retarded.

Come to gaming site to talk about games, but not allowed to discuss them because....
What the board had problem with was the weekly ”Gamepass is awesome!!!!!” and ”Gamepass is going to kill gaming!!!!!” threads that was flooding the first page. Not people talking genuinely excited about new games coming to Gamepass.

I guess EviLore EviLore left some wiggle room by saying that major releases could have their own threads, that left mods and annoyed users reporting threads to subjectively decide that some games aren’t major enough. And here we are.

Personally I think these new rules are hurting the board but I’m not overly obsessed about it right now since I jumped into VR and MS isn’t doing anything there. It is what it is. We’ll see how things will work during E3 when all Microsoft’s games will be announced as Gamepass releases.

Jemm

What the board had problem with was the weekly ”Gamepass is awesome!!!!!” and ”Gamepass is going to kill gaming!!!!!” threads that was flooding the first page. Not people talking genuinely excited about new games coming to Gamepass.

Personally I think these new rules are hurting the board but I’m not overly obsessed about it right now since I jumped into VR and MS isn’t doing anything there. It is what it is. We’ll see how things will work during E3 when all Microsoft’s games will be announced as Gamepass releases.
I think it comes down to the message in the title of the post, how the thread is perceived:

Is it about announcing that a new game is coming to the Game Pass?
Or is it about a new game that comes to Xbox (but also happens to come on Game Pass)

"Game Pass is great! Game X is coming to it day one!" -> ("Ugh, another GP is the Second Coming -thread")

vs.

"Game X is coming to Xbox! [GP day one, too!]"

I don't think that new game announcement threads should be forbidden, if the game happens to come on Game Pass, but it is also up to the poster, how the news is announced.

My point is that when making the title, there is no need to be provocative with sensitive subjects (like the GP is, apparently).

Imagine if every time a game was announced you had to say it was available at Walmart.

“New Game Coming This Fall You Can Buy Day One At Walmart!!!”

This is what it’s like without that stuff being contained in this thread. It’s like game discussion has devolved into talking about stores.

Thirty7ven

Banned
My point is that when making the title, there is no need to be provocative with sensitive subjects (like the GP is, apparently).

I think it’s more about dominating the news cycle by inflation, 2 for one, you couldn’t go a day around here without multiple Gamepass threads about multiple rumors or about feelings, and then you had Xbox threads on top of those. A Disney + thread, a Netflix thread, that’s what usually happens, but because of console wars we had borderline astroturfing going on. No wonder mods had to do something about it.

I guess EviLore EviLore left some wiggle room by saying that major releases could have their own threads, that left mods and annoyed users reporting threads to subjectively decide that some games aren’t major enough. And here we are.

The thing is, there are no “Gamepass games”, it’s just a subscription service. Having a general thread for a subscription service makes all the sense in the world. Having dozens of rumor threads and dozens of “coming to Gamepass” and then have entire topics about a game that just released on Gamepass not being about the game but really about the game releasing on Gamepass... this is insane. The game is the game, Gamepass doesn’t add anything to the game. People upset are upset because now the forum doesn’t look like half the threads about Gamepass. It’s like those folks at purple who left to make Xbox era because they couldn’t turn purple green you know.

Last edited:

Schmick

Imagine if every time a game was announced you had to say it was available at Walmart.

This is what it’s like without that stuff being contained in this thread. It’s like game discussion has devolved into talking about stores.
Except I would like to know if it was available on Game Pass.

Pantz

Just make threads: New Game coming to Xbox & redacted day 1. Make sure you don't say the G P words.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think it’s more about dominating the news cycle by inflation, 2 for one, you couldn’t go a day around here without multiple Gamepass threads about multiple rumors or about feelings, and then you had Xbox threads on top of those. A Disney + thread, a Netflix thread, that’s what usually happens, but because of console wars we had borderline astroturfing going on. No wonder mods had to do something about it.

I think that's a strategy by Microsoft as well. Staggered announcements so it's always part of the gaming news cycle. Makes sense from marketing point of view. I did do a second extinction gamepass thread before the new rules came out, and had to put the gamepass tag in the OT when it released.

Let's be honest, Knockout City isn't noteworthy and probably does belong in here. Dragon Builders is a bit more grey area. I googled the OT and it's not a popular game really. It also released two years ago, and when it did finally get released on steam it only got an OT bump which was pretty dead anyway. So the argument can be made it's also not noteworthy enough for the current userbase of GAF (given switch, PC and PlayStation fans failed to keep an OT going). idk?

I'd either say given the fact it's releasing in a week or so, a new OT or bumping of the old (maybe report the thread to get now on xbox added?) is ok. As someone who owns an xbox as well, it's right there on the home page in the top right - preinstall dragon quest builders.

DaGwaphics

Except I would like to know if it was available on Game Pass.

IKR. Announcing games that are coming on GP is no different than announcing games that are releasing on PS+ or GwG, those are hardly exclusive to those subscriptions either.

Just make threads: New Game coming to Xbox & redacted day 1. Make sure you don't say the G P words.

It's unbelievable how sensitive people are. Can you imagine worrying about a few threads on the home page. I don't care if there were 3 new threads a day, how many threads are on the first page again?

Also, if Sony warriors didn't engage in those threads, guess what happens quickly to those topics. 🤷‍♂️

But there are clearly more Sony fans in the house here and they make themselves heard with that report spamming.

I think it’s more about dominating the news cycle by inflation, 2 for one, you couldn’t go a day around here without multiple Gamepass threads about multiple rumors or about feelings, and then you had Xbox threads on top of those.

Frosty The Snowman Snow GIF by GIF Greeting Cards

</rant> :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don't think that new game announcement threads should be forbidden, if the game happens to come on Game Pass, but it is also up to the poster, how the news is announced.

So we should deliberately hide the Gamepass news because a few people think it’s provocative even though it’s probably why the majority would be interested in the thread?

- psssst... don’t tell anyone but it’s on Gamepass day 1 yay kthxbye

I don’t see that happening with anything else we talk about here. And I don’t understand why it’s provocative. It’s literally non-news for those who’re not subscribing. But it’s the best news there is for the 23 million who’re subscribing.

Kagey K

Banned
So we should deliberately hide the Gamepass news because a few people think it’s provocative even though it’s probably why the majority would be interested in the thread?

- psssst... don’t tell anyone but it’s on Gamepass day 1 yay kthxbye

I don’t see that happening with anything else we talk about here. And I don’t understand why it’s provocative. It’s literally non-news for those who’re not subscribing. But it’s the best news there is for the 23 million who’re subscribing.
23 million people subscribing are unimportant and don’t matter. The 137000 physical games sold in the UK last week are obviously what we should be focusing on. 😅

Fredrik

have entire topics about a game that just released on Gamepass not being about the game but really about the game releasing on Gamepass... this is insane. The game is the game, Gamepass doesn’t add anything to the game.
It’s just as news worthy as a game popping up on Xbox Live Gold or PS+ or PS Now or xCloud or free on Epic Game Store or Play at Home etc etc etc. No it doesn’t add a thing to the game but for those who’re already using the service or launcher or platform or whatever it’s about it’s news about a free game.

Imagine reading that Returnal is free on Playstation Plus. Wouldn’t that be news worthy?

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s just as news worthy as a game popping up on Xbox Live Gold or PS+ or PS Now or xCloud or free on Epic Game Store or Play at Home etc etc etc. No it doesn’t add a thing to the game but for those who’re already using the service or launcher or platform or whatever it’s about it’s news about a free game.

Imagine reading that Returnal is free on Playstation Plus. Wouldn’t that be news worthy?

I understand your sentiment, but it's the difference between a "This months PS+ game is this and that" and dozens of threads per week about rumored releases, about feelings, about actual releases. Blame it on eager Xbox fans if you want, but this isn't an Xbox forum and it gets really tiresome to see multiple gamepass threads everyday.

I'm sure if there's some big unexpected gamepass announcement, a thread will be made. This thread isn't meant to prevent that.

DaGwaphics

I understand your sentiment, but it's the difference between a "This months PS+ game is this and that" and dozens of threads per week about rumored releases, about feelings, about actual releases. Blame it on eager Xbox fans if you want, but this isn't an Xbox forum and it gets really tiresome to see multiple gamepass threads everyday.

I'm sure if there's some big unexpected gamepass announcement, a thread will be made. This thread isn't meant to prevent that.

Good thing we don't get threads created about rumored releases, feelings, or actual releases on PS. Since this isn't a Sony forum and all that.

Come to think of it, just WTF are we even doing here? What can you post? 🤷‍♂️

Fredrik

As I said I get that the emotional love/hate Gamepass threads needed to go.

But threads with actual news about new Gamepass releases?
I don’t see why even small releases aren’t news. We talk about indie games, even Stadia games, fan mods, etc. A new GP release is really as good news for GP subscribers as a new game popping up on PS+/XBLG would be for a PS+/XBLG subscriber. And it’s as unimportant news for non-subscribers or those who don’t own any needed platform as a new game popping up on XSX or PS5 would be for those who don’t own those platforms.
If the thread isn’t for you. Why not just look the other way?

Also, since all Microsoft is doing now is trying to release stuff on GP it becomes awkward if the one making the thread about new releases has to go hush-hush about how it’s available on GP when more people are subscribing to GP than people owning XSX and PS5 combined.

Mmnow

This thread was a good idea, but it's a failed experiment.

Every time I come in here, it's meta shit.

The generic Game Pass love threads needed to go. It's an awesome service and more and more people are going to want to post about it - positively or negatively - and it was already getting overwhelming.

But the actual result isn't just solving that issue. It's resulted in a few select members of "the other side" attempting to shut down all discussion of the service except in this thread, which is a spam of its own. It's resulted in lesser discussion, both in terms of quality and quantity.

The thread needs nuking and starting again with tighter rules.

Sony fans losing the ground war against the unstoppable juggernaut of GP leaving suppression as the only tool left in the box.

CS Lurker

Oh, I think I misunderstood it. It was not 4 years accumulated, right. You signed one year last year, and then 3 more years this month.

I asked just because I thought - for a moment - that Microsoft could have changed their only 36 months accumulated rule. Sorry.

sainraja

As I said I get that the emotional love/hate Gamepass threads needed to go.

But threads with actual news about new Gamepass releases?
I don’t see why even small releases aren’t news. We talk about indie games, even Stadia games, fan mods, etc. A new GP release is really as good news for GP subscribers as a new game popping up on PS+/XBLG would be for a PS+/XBLG subscriber. And it’s as unimportant news for non-subscribers or those who don’t own any needed platform as a new game popping up on XSX or PS5 would be for those who don’t own those platforms.
If the thread isn’t for you. Why not just look the other way?

Also, since all Microsoft is doing now is trying to release stuff on GP it becomes awkward if the one making the thread about new releases has to go hush-hush about how it’s available on GP when more people are subscribing to GP than people owning XSX and PS5 combined.
You don't need new threads to find out about games that are being added to Game Pass. Why do you need that?

And asking people to look the other way is silly given how people were creating multiple threads about the simple fact that something was added to the service. It had nothing to do with the game itself.

I think the only people getting super upset by this are the ones who like to console war and I am not talking about you here. I know you have brought up some fair reasons but the thing is it gets abused by those who don't see it the way you do.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Man, the user experience on the Xbox must be really bad if you have to come to NeoGaf to find out what is available, what was just added to Game Pass.

Maybe he doesn't check the console app everyday or is looking forward to seeing the user feedback about edition XYZ.

Also @ sainraja sainraja , how many games get added to GP per month on average? I ask because I'm confused as to why these threads would be such a problem for you.

Last edited:

sainraja

Maybe he doesn't check the console app everyday or is looking forward to seeing the user feedback about edition XYZ.
So before game pass, how did people get user feedback on games?

Also @ sainraja sainraja , how many games get added to GP per month on average? I ask because I'm confused as to why these threads would be such a problem for you.
You are asking a question you already know the answer to and the very reason this conversation is even being had. I personally don't care if you want to make 50+ threads about game pass but it does clutter the main forum and it was cluttering the main forum before this was created. Having a dedicated thread about game pass releases should be the base case scenario for finding out what is being added or removed but apparently you guys want multiple different threads vs a single place to go find it out.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

So before game pass, how did people get user feedback on games?

In regards to what? Before GP this user might not have had the need to look for user feedback. Having something drop in your lap with no barrier might give you more incentive to research something that you would never have looked at twice before. Are there other ways to find this information, absolutely, but maybe this user likes the community they have with other GP users on here and respects their opinions a bit more. 🤷‍♂️

sainraja

In regards to what? Before GP this user might not have had the need to look for user feedback. Having something drop in your lap with no barrier might give you more incentive to research something that you would never have looked at twice before. Are there other ways to find this information, absolutely, but maybe this user likes the community they have with other GP users on here and respects their opinions a bit more. 🤷‍♂️
So having a dedicated space for that community hurts that how? I mean, if you guys want to keep complaining about it, go for it I guess. It just seems silly to me at this point. I came here to see updates for game pass and I found people still bickering over this thread 13 pages in lol.

Last edited:
I've always used this community to get information on games from people who have played them. Going elsewhere for the same information because it has become more difficult to do so on here is stupid. I do feel that this scenario is actually being played out as of late. I don't think this thread is fit for purpose to be blunt.

sainraja

I've always used this community to get information on games from people who have played them. Going elsewhere for the same information because it has become more difficult to do so on here is stupid. I do feel that this scenario is actually being played out as of late. I don't think this thread is fit for purpose to be blunt.
People can still talk about games that they are interested on NeoGaf. Game Pass isn't a game. Game Pass is a service that includes games as part of the subscription. People here want multiple different threads created for each set of games that are added, the reason they are all up in arms. I personally don't see the harm in having a dedicated thread to find out that but every game pass person here thinks otherwise.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

So having a dedicated space for that community hurts that how?

I don't know, by your estimates there had been about 50k GP threads a day and yet this thread is basically dead. Maybe people like to discuss things more when the focus of discussion is narrower? Your guess is as good as mine, tbh.

What I notice in most of the community style threads is that there tend to be particular groups of posters that post in the ongoing threads, where the specific threads seem to bring out a bigger variety of gafers. Maybe some find the community threads too "clique" like for them, I don't know.

At any rate, I'll go with whatever the rules are, I'll probably just continue to complain about it. LOL

sainraja

People forget NeoGAF used to be a huge news/rumor forum, now it’s just a place to post cross platform graphic comparison and sales numbers witch somehow don’t get confined to a signal thread…

Sale Number OT
Digital Foundry OT
Well isn't that because of the divide that happened when ResetEra was created? Didn't most of the insiders move on to that forum?

MadPanda

Banned
Blame it on eager Xbox fans if you want, but this isn't an Xbox forum and it gets really tiresome to see multiple gamepass threads everyday.

This doesn't make any sense as on XboxEra which is an Xbox forum you don't have multiple gamepass threads.

Man, the user experience on the Xbox must be really bad if you have to come to NeoGaf to find out what is available, what was just added to Game Pass.

Games get announced before they're available so people like to know that beforehand. Go figure.

sainraja

This doesn't make any sense as on XboxEra which is an Xbox forum you don't have multiple gamepass threads.

Games get announced before they're available so people like to know that beforehand. Go figure.
Fair enough but I saw his comment as wanting to find out what is available right now so I only addressed that part. Regardless, I still don't see how having a dedicated thread hurts but that's just me.

EDIT

Is this XboxEra thing real? Did people go one to make a forum just because they couldn't have multiple threads or is that a joke that I am completely missing?

EDIT

So it is real and guess what? They do have OT threads for Game Pass and other services. They are pinned so maybe the mods could PIN this thread for people worried about it getting lost in the shuffle. I've never seen people actually complain so much about getting an OT for something on other forums and it always usually happened after there was a lot of discussion around a topic. People here are just acting like little kids because they are not getting exactly what they want in my opinion.

EDIT

Wait, I just realized, you were using that to justify having multiple threads here for game pass? LOL whhaat.

Last edited:
Sigh. I guess I'll explain the issues I have with the way the thread is being handled.

I am subscribed to gamepass. So news pertaining to it interests me. Generally, I like seeing at a glance what that new news is and then if it interests me I'll click on a thread and look further and read whatever discussion is being had by the community here.

With this thread it makes it really difficult to do that because there are so many threads of conversation to sift through. It's tedious to read every post to see if it pertains to the info I'm actually interested in. When I click on a dedicated thread, I know or can at least guess that the conversation within will pertain to the content in the OP.

I've been dealing with some health issues and have chosen not to post so often as I've been trying to give more focus to family and such but I still game and I've been with this community for so long I do value the discussion being had from certain members. Sadly, with my limited time and the new changes with GP news, I've been drifting to find my news about it elsewhere lately. But I do come back here pretty much every day to see if anything has changed.

Gatox

Banned
Great seeing the likes of Sainraja and other Sony acolytes showing the problem with these types of thread, completely ruining it with nonsensical garbage post after post with no discussion at all about gamepass, just this thread.

On this entire page there's only one post discussing the service or a game on it. It's not a thread dedicated to gamepass, it's services or games. It's a dump thread to allow Sony mentalists a way to report other gamepass threads, then come into it to shit all over it.
Complete waste of time.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You don't need new threads to find out about games that are being added to Game Pass. Why do you need that?
You don’t need new threads to find out about games that are coming to Xbox Series X, PS5, Switch, PC either. Everything will eventually pop up at a store so then you’ll find out about it. And then you don’t even have to wait for the release! Pretty cool, right?

Seriously though, we’re here because we share a hobby and want to talk with other people from around the globe about our interest and excitement in games, both released games and upcoming games. Aren’t we?

I don’t know, I just find your question odd. Or maybe provocative even. I mean my kids are finally asleep and here I’m talking about GP instead of gaming. Why am I doing that?? No idea lol

I think the only people getting super upset by this are the ones who like to console war and I am not talking about you here. I know you have brought up some fair reasons but the thing is it gets abused by those who don't see it the way you do
Fair enough but I think it goes both ways. If we remove the (admittedly very annoying) love/hate emotional threads then what’s left is news and rumour threads, which I really can’t see the problem with. I think the only ones truly upset about Gamepass news and rumours are those who just don’t like Gamepass, very likely for some console war reason.

I mean people used to say that Xbox isn’t needed since all exclusives are on PC, assumably because they have a PC. No issues there, it is a fair way of thinking for a PC gamer.
But... Gamepass is on PC too...
Why don’t people want to read about new games they can play dirt cheap??

As a PC gamer myself I can just say that missing Gamepass releases and find that out after you’ve already bought the Steam version... well, that’s no fun at all. I have enough issues with GP releases that comes too soon, if you can say such a thing, like Dirt 5... Sigh. I payed full price for that 😤

Last edited:
Don't we already have a "new games coming to Gamepass thread"? I remember Mista Mista updating it frequently back in the day but maybe it was closed.

I concur with some of the other posters. This thread either needs to be nuked or left as a general Gamepass thread and someone should open an OT to discuss specific games coming to Gamepass.

That way once that thread is updated we know new games are coming. This thread is just confusing and the conversation is all over the place. I would never find what new games are coming to the service by looking at this thread.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I feel like a lot of people called this the minute this thread was opened. If the goal was to cut down on reoccurring thread topics about GP then there needed to be clarity from post #1. The minute that wasnt there this thread was doomed.

sainraja

You don’t need new threads to find out about games that are coming to Xbox Series X, PS5, Switch, PC either. Everything will eventually pop up at a store so then you’ll find out about it. And then you don’t even have to wait for the release! Pretty cool, right?

Seriously though, we’re here because we share a hobby and want to talk with other people from around the globe about our interest and excitement in games, both released games and upcoming games. Aren’t we?

I don’t know, I just find your question odd. Or maybe provocative even. I mean my kids are finally asleep and here I’m talking about GP instead of gaming. Why am I doing that?? No idea lol

Fair enough but I think it goes both ways. If we remove the (admittedly very annoying) love/hate emotional threads then what’s left is news and rumour threads, which I really can’t see the problem with. I think the only ones truly upset about Gamepass news and rumours are those who just don’t like Gamepass, very likely for some console war reason.

I mean people used to say that Xbox isn’t needed since all exclusives are on PC, assumably because they have a PC. No issues there, it is a fair way of thinking for a PC gamer.
But... Gamepass is on PC too...
Why don’t people want to read about new games they can play dirt cheap??

As a PC gamer myself I can just say that missing Gamepass releases and find that out after you’ve already bought the Steam version... well, that’s no fun at all. I have enough issues with GP releases that comes too soon, if you can say such a thing, like Dirt 5... Sigh. I payed full price for that 😤
I hear you but in fairness I wasn't asking for eliminating discussion about Game Pass or news related to it. On other forums I have posted at, usually when there was a hot topic, it eventually got it's own official thread to make room for other discussions. It was never meant as a slight on those who like or dislike something. The fact that it is being treated like that is what puzzles me. I think having a dedicated thread and assigning someone who is really passionate about Game Pass to run it is a good solution. I guess that direction was missing here but how long will people keep complaining about something like this?

Has anyone here actually proposed alternatives if having an OT thread is such a big deal? Going back to multiple different threads for game pass is not a good solution because then other discussion gets pushed (due to console warring - how much of that do you need, really?) Why hasn't anyone here passionate about Game Pass taken the lead on maintaining this thread so people can stay informed?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Maybe one GP thread per month with the OP updated? That way they don't get too long, can be archived but can still have all the games added. If there's an AAA bomb or summat like outriders then new thread?

Maybe one GP thread per month with the OP updated? That way they don't get too long, can be archived but can still have all the games added. If there's an AAA bomb or summat like outriders then new thread?

We need 3-4 gamepass threads to cover everything. They could look like this:

New releases.
Which games you have finished.
Hidden gems.
How it affects industry.
Your opinions on it.

That oughta do it for everyone.

It would be nice to have a monthly releases thread, like they do for Live Gold and PSN+ but unfortunately that isn't how Microsoft is releasing the new game info. They spread it out throughout the month. I still think it work to have two threads. The monthly release thread (Games coming to GP this month!) and then one discussion thread. I come to this site for news probably more than conversation, but if GP news is buried here then I might as well just go elsewhere for news....

On the 7th day Phil created gamepass

On a serious note by the time it takes you to navigate gaf to find a news thread for the latest gamepass games, you could have googled it.

Or if you’re using a phone, a separate tab to google it.

DaGwaphics

It would be nice to have a monthly releases thread, like they do for Live Gold and PSN+ but unfortunately that isn't how Microsoft is releasing the new game info. They spread it out throughout the month. I still think it work to have two threads. The monthly release thread (Games coming to GP this month!) and then one discussion thread. I come to this site for news probably more than conversation, but if GP news is buried here then I might as well just go elsewhere for news....

You could probably make a monthly thread work. As long as the OP got updated with each addition during the month.

That's what I like about individual threads, you can glance a the OP to know what is what with discussion below. It can be hard to follow the discussions in a general thread like this one.

Edit: I guess this thread could even work if the OP was updated on a regular basis. Each time the OP was updated the thread owner could make a regular post announcing the update and link that in the OP as well, then you'd have the news and a link to where discussion about this update likely started. That would actually be really nice. Maybe this single thread idea just needs to be perfected a bit.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Holy Shit we're still debating the validity of this thread instead of using it as intended. EviLore EviLore was pretty clear. This thread is for general discussion, if there's some blockbuster news or something to that effect, make a new thread.

How is this still a thing?

Hey is that "Chapters" idea still on the table for you head honchos? (LOL, me assuming it ever was on the table).

Last edited:
Top Bottom