• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox game captures stored on the network will be deleted after 90 days following new update

01_Xbox-and-OneDrive-7cfc64a31908a39e4ff9-1900x1080.jpg

Microsoft has introduced a new update across Xbox that aims to simplify users' experiences when they set about backing up their game captures.

With this update in play, any captures stored on the Xbox network will now be deleted after 90 days. Users can check on their captures' status via the Captures app, where any images coming close to that 90 day limit will be flagged.

As is apparent with this "new retention approach", Xbox users will need to ensure any captures they wish to keep for more than that 90 day period are backed up elsewhere or risk losing them forever.
Xbox has said this will now be easier than ever, thanks to its "simplified experience" for backing up captures on OneDrive (or another external storage setup of your choosing) that comes with this update.

"You can move, manage, and bulk upload where you store your captures on your Xbox console," Xbox explained. Here is how to do it:

Boot up your console and press the Xbox button. From there, go to My Games & Apps > See all > Apps > Captures. When you are in this capture tab, you should then see a "Tell me more" button. This, Xbox said, is "where you can get started".
Xbox users will also be able to "set up future captures to automatically back up to OneDrive so you never have to wonder if everything is backed up," the company has said.

You can see how it will look in the image below.
02_Back-up-captures-4122414c6925e723da2f.jpg

You can read more over on the Xbox blog

mrmustard

Banned
Don't know any person who uses it and didn't use it myself in my peasant times, but still bad news for those who are interested. But OneDrive is a viable option, use it a lot on my smartphone.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Press the Xbox button. From there, go to My Games & Apps > See all > Apps > Captures.

All that jazz just to get to your pics. Fuck me what a palava.

I need to go and move mine. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This doesn't bother me at all. I've got loads of captures of things that I don't actually care about but can't be bothered to delete. Having to be proactive about what I actually want to keep will just mean less random stuff I don't care for hanging around.

I'm sure someone will lose something remarkable somewhere along the line, but if you've got 90 days to back it up and don't bother, it probably doesn't matter that much to you.

calistan

Did they say if they're going to purge existing old captures? I used to use it a lot, but I disabled the share button a while ago because I kept hitting it accidentally. The app is so slow and laggy, scrolling through it to delete unwanted captures is a pain.

K' Dash

it's really easy to check the data about how many people really access the captures after they take them, I guess they realized they were just wasting space?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've gotten a lot more into captures lately, but I guess as long as they let you store whatever you want on the console itself it's acceptable. Anything I actually upload to the Xbox Network is only to get downloaded on my phone to post here anyway so I have multiple copies of it usually.

calistan

They keep trying to force it on Windows and my Samsung phone :messenger_weary:
It's a piece of shit, the only thing I used it for was Xbox captures. I had to turn it on when I installed Windows 11, and then it copied a ton of stuff over and told me I'd instantly run out of free storage, click here to upgrade.

That meant I couldn't use my documents or images folders and had to keep dismissing the subscription ads until I figured out how to cripple it. Now Windows is sad.
zFo80lb.png

Maybe remove the capture button to simplify the experience.
Luckily that's easy to turn off.

Elysium44

Banned
I've noticed the HDR captures on XSX look like shit compared to what I was trying to take.

I haven't tried HDR, but I have tried some normal captures and the resulting video is unusable. This is whether I record onto the internal SSD or an external one. I googled and found it's a known issue going back many years and even to the previous generation. Meanwhile on my PC, my nvidia card performs flawless hardware encoding with great quality and zero stutter.

Microsoft is the richest company in the world, and the biggest software company. You'd kind of think they could find some people within their organisation who knew what they were doing, to sort it out.

Last edited:
I feel like this is more of a big deal than it sounds like. 90 days is plenty of time to get a video off your console. But what if you really have no means to.

A good personel example of mine is still having all of those original game trailers from the PS Store on my old slim PS3. They are classics. Now imagine if Sony just decided to delete all of those. I'd be pissed.

But a more relevant example is that I record gameplay ALL THE TIME. Especially when funny things happen. But sometimes I get lazy about actually editing and uploading it so I would be very angry if it was just deleted suddenly.

This has a really bad "Xbox One is always online" smell to it that I don't like.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is better then, I never knew this. But can you not just store them on your console forever?

I think on the console it starts auto deleting older images when storage starts getting full, can't say for sure.

But I've always backed up things I want on One Drive. Not really getting the hate for it here, it's a one click process.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I see, that's good that it's not console side. I've never tried saving a video to the ps app before.
Both Xbox and PlayStation upload captures automatically to the cloud. They stay in the PS App for 14 days and then are deleted.The Xbox app stored them forever but that’s being reduced to 90 days now.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Both Xbox and PlayStation upload captures automatically to the cloud. They stay in the PS App for 14 days and then are deleted.The Xbox app stored them forever but that’s being reduced to 90 days now.
They honestly could fix the issue by just turning off auto-upload. Have it save to your console. People can manually upload the ones they actually want to share and it would likely cut down the amount on the network by 90%. I turned off auto-upload a while ago.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
They honestly could fix the issue by just turning off auto-upload. Have it save to your console. People can manually upload the ones they actually want to share and it would likely cut down the amount on the network by 90%. I turned off auto-upload a while ago.
They are saved to your console.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The title is misleading. They are not deleting captures from your console after 90 days.

This only applies to captures uploaded to XBL in the cloud/app. In which case they're increasing the retention from 30 to 90 days:
Previously it deleted things in 30 days, they've increased it to 90 and give the users a warning to back them up now.

Bou1Ghi.jpg

Then they're adding the option to back them up to OneDrive.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How about improving the captures so they don't stutter.
Sony needs to do this, we all know PNG is better but jpeg is fine when it high quality but sometimes they do look pixelated because the quality varys, it should be fixed quality
And don't get me started on the compression it adds when copying or uploading to the app.
Just send the file as it is.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony needs to do this, we all know PNG is better but jpeg is fine when it high quality but sometimes they do look pixelated because the quality varys, it should be fixed quality
And don't get me started on the compression it adds when copying or uploading to the app.
Just send the file as it is.

This is probably one of my favorite things about the way Xbox does it, one click and the 12MB .png file goes on onedrive where I can get it from to upload on GAF or anywhere, no need to fiddle with USB sticks to copy the full quality file.

Top Bottom