• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox consoles will soon be "carbon aware"

Moses85

Imagine.

I think it saves you even more than that, because you don't actually own one.

It's a net zero policy at this time.
But I want to keep my Halo XSX
Angry Mood GIF by Tennis TV

Mephisto40

But you have to have the console in standby for it to download the updates and run them, so this isn't "saving" you money at all, because the console is already on standby anyway

reksveks

But you have to have the console in standby for it to download the updates and run them, so this isn't "saving" you money at all, because the console is already on standby anyway
by 'standby' are you referring to 'sleep mode'?

there is
- 'shutdown (energy-saving) mode' which does download updates and i think does run some updates ~0.5w
- 'sleep' mode which enables remote play at all times ~10-15w

Topher

Gold Member
Yes. We know. But it seems strange to do a pr thing for your consoles power usage. More power is being saved by not getting your first party games out then this update.

Edit: it’s kind of like the military bragging about how fuel efficient its new tank is while at the same time having no tracks on to even move it.

A better analogy is the Army cannot brag about how they have found a way to save tax payer money until they fix the tracks on their tanks. One has nothing to do with the other.

FeralEcho

Sure, but if you plan on leaving it on standby mode for remote play like I do, this will lower energy usage. How can this be a negative?

You seem really bothered by this small quality of life improvement. Maybe you should " unplug all your crap" and take a break from the internet.
It's not a negative but people need to cut the saving the planet crap as If Microsoft,or any other corporations, really cares about anything except money.My post was directed at those people in particular.

And my crap is already unplugged and I don't need to take a break from the internet cuz I'm on the phone but thanks for your concern.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
A valid point but one was clearly Sony being cheapo miserly cunts rather than caring about the environment, otherwise the machine itself and its packaging wouldn’t be the size of a shed.
What's wrong with sony packaging?
It protects ps5 perfectly fine and it's not using plastic. It's a win win

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Cool thing to have, but this reminds me of the new Dominos commercials with them waving their dicks around because their delivery cars are now going to be electric. Oh wow look at us!!! Cool to know for about 3 seconds, and then noone cares.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What's wrong with sony packaging?
It protects ps5 perfectly fine and it's not using plastic. It's a win win
Nothing is wrong with it from a functional point of view. It just stands out like a sore thumb when Microsoft, Samsung, Apple, LG and every other electrical giant uses premium packaging.

As I say, the PS5 used about 50w more than the Series X at launch, and 140w more than the Series S - in a huge body in a giant box. The cheapo packaging, right down to the crappy elastic bands holding the power cable together, was about Sony penny pinching.

Never drag energy costs into gaming, somehow raising awareness of issues gets a little out of control. Maybe increase the mods around here.
I'll never understand what the fuck you're writing. No way this is a normal person or not trolling. I just cant accept theres someone out there who writes so much nonsense with every post lmao.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nothing is wrong with it from a functional point of view. It just stands out like a sore thumb when Microsoft, Samsung, Apple, LG and every other electrical giant uses premium packaging.

As I say, the PS5 used about 50w more than the Series X at launch, and 140w more than the Series S - in a huge body in a giant box. The cheapo packaging, right down to the crappy elastic bands holding the power cable together, was about Sony penny pinching.
Something is seriously wrong with your head if you are worried about packaging "premiumness"
For me it was a great unboxing. If You want your dick sucked by plastic foam during unboxing, I can't help you with that.
It's just a box and it looks great and protects.

As for wattage - Yes, ps5 is 200watts and consumes less in standby and sure, it's a big console but it's silent and cool looking imo

Banjo64

cumsessed
Something is seriously wrong with your head if you are worried about packaging "premiumness"
Don’t direct that at me, you should direct it at every major electronic manufacturer.

For me it was a great unboxing. If You want your dick sucked by plastic foam during unboxing, I can't help you with that.
It's just a box and it looks great and protects.
I’ve not given an opinion either way, just stated they used cheap packaging to save money, which is a fact (y) it sure sounds like you enjoy having your dick sucked by cheap elastic bands though, if I can apply your logic.

As for wattage - Yes, ps5 is 200watts and consumes less in standby and sure, it's a big console but it's silent and cool looking imo
We’re just talking about environment impact here -

MacReady13

Unsure how the two are related.
Microsoft produces xbox consoles and
It shows your priorities.
Yeah cause I'm sure all those Xbox consoles updating during carbon friendly times will improve the environment significantly... Give me a fucking spell. This is just PR bullshit Microsoft is spewing out. Like I said- spew out the fucking games. That is what consoles are for, not to save the environment.

MarkMe2525

It's not a negative but people need to cut the saving the planet crap as If Microsoft,or any other corporations, really cares about anything except money.My post was directed at those people in particular.

And my crap is already unplugged and I don't need to take a break from the internet cuz I'm on the phone but thanks for your concern.
Definition of a False Dilemma.

Certainly I (the person you replied to) never championed MS as some environmentally conscious savoir, I simply stated that the feature is
welcomed.

Edit: btw, did you just claim you don't need to unplug and take a break from the internet because you are on your phone? Are you not aware you are actively on the internet when you are browsing neogaf on your phone?

Last edited:
Microsoft produces xbox consoles and

Yeah cause I'm sure all those Xbox consoles updating during carbon friendly times will improve the environment significantly... Give me a fucking spell. This is just PR bullshit Microsoft is spewing out. Like I said- spew out the fucking games. That is what consoles are for, not to save the environment.
No. The folks developing games and the folks doing the console updates, and I shouldn't have to say this, but they aren't the same people.

xrnzaaas

Active hours work like shit on Windows system, I fully expect to be the same on Xbox.

Also I hate how they're using the term 'shutdown', but technically it's not powering down the system completely. Shutdown should be a shutdown.

LRKD

Hard to even pretend to give a shit about this 'carbon awareness' when you think about the factories they are made, in and the boats and trucks they are shipped out on and so on. Like yay? It's so minuscule compared to all the resources they've used before this, it's nothing but a pat on the back for people who pretend to care about carbon emissions, so they can feel better about themselves at night.

MacReady13

Don’t be mad just because you present yourself poorly.
:messenger_grinning_smiling: Mate I just want Microsoft to focus more on the gaming side of things. Shit like this gets certain people hard, but I'm playing consoles for games, not to be environmentally friendly. My series X won't kill the planet, and neither will the other consoles people play games on.

GHG

The sooner all this ESG pandering dies the better, waste of everyone's resources and time.

The depth of the recession should see to that along with a lot of other crap going on at the medium-large corporations, so not long now.

Last edited:
:messenger_grinning_smiling: Mate I just want Microsoft to focus more on the gaming side of things. Shit like this gets certain people hard, but I'm playing consoles for games, not to be environmentally friendly. My series X won't kill the planet, and neither will the other consoles people play games on.
I saw you quoted me, didn't bother reading. I've lost interest in this convo, sorry. Have a good one.

DaGwaphics

You can probably still force the always on setting if you want. Same way you probably still use those 250w incandescent light bulbs. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

For people that are getting hit hard by the energy crisis, this is a a decent option. I've seen many articles about what devices you should unplug and limiting idle power usage, some people care about this more than others.

so let me know if I’m reading this right, the fact that there are no games to play on Xbox means MS is actually helping you save money, and the environment, because 1) you don’t have to buy games that don’t exist and B) you don’t have to turn on your console thus saving you on energy costs and reversing climate change…these Jedi mind tricking muthafuckas 😉

oldergamer

Lets be honest. This is going to do dick squat to save the environment.

That doesnt mean i think actual things to save the environment are worthless.

Cool that they want to do what they can, but its not going to make a dent is the reality

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

This might be a small thing to get a few more sales out of a small segment of the population.

Never drag energy costs into gaming. Somehow, raising awareness of world issues gets people a little out of control. Maybe we should increase the mods around here just in case.
I think your post was actually a warning for the OP so I fixed it, because people keep making fun of it thinking you’re saying something else.

It was just punctuation and verbiage guys.

Calling it "carbon aware" is just MS being obtuse. It's a power-saving mode.

When my console is run on a predominantly Hydroelectric and Nuclear grid like my PS5 is here in Canada, it's virtually zero carbon.

The console has no idea how much carbon is being saved by saving on a few watts of power usage. That depends entirely on the local power grid makeup, which your Xbox has no idea about. So calling it "carbon aware" is just plain false.

MS, stop being pretentious and just call it what it is, a clever power-saving mode.

Elysion

Banned
All this ‚carbon‘ talk is just noise. I‘d much prefer if electronics could get away from using plastics, and go back to using wood and metal. Imagine a console made of wood and metal like old radios or TVs:

IMG_3997.jpg

Unknown?

This. If they cared they wouldn't build them in China or any 3rd world that doesn't have any environmental laws.

ReBurn

Gold Member
My Xbox informed me last night that it is now saving me energy and as the human who pays the power bill I was pretty ok with it.

Fox News making much ado about nothing again.

Top Bottom