• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox believes their subscription model is becoming a "central aspect of people's gaming lives" and it has the data to back it up

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean.. kinda meaningless.

People with a sub are naturally going to be a bit more hardcore than those w/o, and more likely to play more games.

This is like MS"s stats on how GamePass players spend more.. they aren't actually saying "GamePass members spend more AFTER joining", just that they spend more... which again, is likely because those signing up are more hardcore, and were already spending more than people who wouldn't sign up. Did their spending ACTUALLY GO UP? Unlikely.,.. otherwise MS would have said so.

All of the numbers they've ever given equate to "Those who sign up to GamePass are our more avid gamers/spenders." Well no shit.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
Am I the only one that doesn’t understand this sentence:
nb8BsQ1.jpg

Does it mean ”playing games at least once a week” or ”plays games through a subscription service”? Something is confusing me with the way it is formulated
Welcome to the wonderful world of marketing doublespeak!

Neo Blaster

Yeah, it has for me, I haven't spent thousands in games since gamepass has come out, it has saved me tons of money in games that ended being garbage in the end. People on here on Twitter are afraid of change and since it does not come from their glorious Sony leader, they are not celebrating the fact that it's a successful service. This is how Netflix started, some naysayers claimed it could not take over but yet here we are.
You do realize you're saying a lot of games on Gamepass are garbage, don't you?

It's a good complimentary service, but not every game releases on it, just like not every movie/series release on Netflix.

Last edited:
You do realize you're saying a lot of games on Gamepass are garbage, don't you?

It's a good complimentary service, but not every game releases on it, just like not every movie/series release on Netflix.

Its not a complementary service. If you want to play games outside gamepass, you buy those, unsub and then play them. Else you are wasting $15 a month.

GP works best when you download games that catch your eye, without reading reviews and opinions. Go in with fresh perspective and find something YOU truely enjoy. Amazing when that works out.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It's horseshit and i'll tell you why..

I've bought a game, full price, it's mine. That game has now come to Gamepass, I boot my bought game up and low and behold Gamepass now says I get an award through Gamepass, for playing my bought game..

Gamepass has now obviously took me playing my own game as 'enjoying' their 'service' and has put it down as another notch for them

Like I said, it's horseshit.

Excess

Yeah, rather unconvincing take on statistical analysis with no actual numbers behind it. It's almost as informative as "Study finds that people who own a car are more likely to buy gas than those who don't own a car".
Every statistical analysis is propaganda. I would know; I'm a corporate analyst. :)

aclar00

Makes sense on one hand, especially for early adopters who are likely more hardcore gamers,..It also may be a bit misleading in the way the 7 day free trial (at least in play hours) you get with TV services....people are going to binge the hell out of during that short-term period and inflate the numbers.

Hardcore gamer's are generally going to spend more money IMO, and if they happen to make up 50% or more of the total subscribers then the numbers will be skewed further.

I am not a fan of the model, but undoubtedly the younger generations likely overwhelmingly support it. Only time will tell though how well GAAS will do.

Im biased though, afterall, ive only bought one DLC since it became a thing and that was for Horizon Zero Dawn. I dont buy special additions, special weapons, skins, etc....

Edit: Since vs Sense and other edits.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Make since on one hand, especially for early adopters who are likely more hardcore gamers,..It also may be a bit misleading in the way the 7 day free trial (at least in play hours) you get with TV services....people are going to binge the hell out of during that short-term and inflate the bumbers.

Hardcore gamer's are generally going to spend more money in general IMO, and if the happen to make 50% or more of the total subscribers then the numbers again may be skewed.

I am not a fan of the model, but undoubtedly the younger generation likely overwhelmingly support it. Only time will tell though how well GAAS will do.

Im biased though, afterall ive only bought one DLC since it became a thing and that was for Horizon Zero Dawn. I dont buy special additions, special weapons, skins, etc....
My biggest question about that stats was that does this include the Gamepass subscription cost? Because if it is, it's nothing to brag about. In fact, it would be the exact opposite of "value for gamers".

But like most other things, they never addressed the specifics and details. Just vague blanket statements.

Zeroing

Banned
Dumb marketing for fanboys. That’s all folks. That’s the sad part of it.

Also if you are confused or questioning what all that info means… congrats you have a brain.

I’m being serious.

IntentionalPun

Absolutely, if you have a sub to something you are more likely to use it. This is why people who have Gamepass spend more on games.
That's only one conclusion.. there's also another rather obvious one.

If you buy a gaming sub service, you are probably an avid gamer.. same reason for both stats. MS never states that people actually spend more on games AFTER buying into GamePass, just that those who have GamePass, spend more than those who don't.

If you buy a gaming sub service, you are probably an avid gamer.. same reason for both stats. MS never states that people actually spend more on games AFTER buying into GamePass, just that those who have GamePass, spend more than those who don't.
Maybe the extra spending is actually the Game Pass itself and they don't actually spend anything more on other things like regular games and stuff.

It has certainly become a central aspect of NeoGaf threads
Well I have never STARTED a thread myself, so the question is what kind of people would start threads to begin with?

I am glad Gamepass got its own thread, because I always have a feeling GP customers don't really want to talk to anyone else. They get to have their corner and we don't bother them.

jigglet

Banned
Where was this service back when I was a kid.

I have money now and only purchase like half a dozen games a year so it has zero value for me. But christ how is this not the best thing ever for kids.

Markio128

Well I have never STARTED a thread myself, so the question is what kind of people would start threads to begin with?

I am glad Gamepass got its own thread, because I always have a feeling GP customers don't really want to talk to anyone else. They get to have their corner and we don't bother them.
Unfortunately, they like to share their corner with these threads haha

Andodalf

Banned

But neogaf told me Gamepass was only for casuals that didn’t care about gaming because they didn’t actually own the games!!!!

But neogaf told me Gamepass was only for casuals that didn’t care about gaming because they didn’t actually own the games!!!!
And they are right in that that was the intended purpose of Gamepass, except the hard part is that the real casuals don't play consoles. So right now the only supporters are existing Xbox customers. Xbox WANT the casual audience, but so far they are not getting it. That is why the data they are giving suggest the current customers are not casual, they are the same Xbox customers who bought an XboxOne at the start of the gen.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As I said in my earlier comment: My biggest question about that stats was that does this include the Gamepass subscription cost?

Remember those stats were for shareholders, not for gamers. They wanted to show that Gamepass subscribers are spending more. In other words, Xbox is able to draw more money from Gamepass subscribers than non-subscribers.

Outrunner

Ok, but is that correlation or causation. They should compare numbers before and after someone subscribes to Game Pass.

My thoughts exactly. Gamers who play more are more likely to get a subscription than people who play less. So this whole thing is just PR talk again

IntentionalPun

I don't think I've ever seen anyone imply that currently it's casuals using GamePass... it's this:

And they are right in that that was the intended purpose of Gamepass, except the hard part is that the real casuals don't play consoles. So right now the only supporters are existing Xbox customers. Xbox WANT the casual audience, but so far they are not getting it. That is why the data they are giving suggest the current customers are not casual, they are the same Xbox customers who bought an XboxOne at the start of the gen.

Microsoft clearly thinks the billions of people playing on cell phones will be interested in GamePass some day, and xCloud.. that's MS's goal.. to reach that audience.

How do we know that? They've.. said it, over and over.

But right now? GamePass is incredibly popular with the biggest Xbox fans.. those that were already playing the most, and spending the most. People like those who are all over gaming forums and talk about GaemPass constantly. It's definitely very popular with that core audience.

MS's stats are stated in a way that makes it rather obvious that they are misleading.

Last edited:
Top Bottom