• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Very Unstable

Juice

That's the headline over at Slashdot:

http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/11/23/138200.shtml?tid=128&tid=211&tid=10

"There have been several postings over at Xbox-scene complaining of crashing Xbox's on new games, with default settings on single player. Crashes on Xbox Live and on startup have been reported too, and Project Gotham Racing 3 crashes before finishing the first lap. Screenshots and Video are available showing the crash."

There's a slew of links on there too.

I'm still under the impression that most weird defects are the exception and not the norm, like one would expect. Does anyone have any info on repeatable instabilities across all consoles or if it's just a high malfunctioning rate in the manufacturing process?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
there tends to be more defective consoles around launch time.. its just the way its always happened.. especcially when they are rushing to get as many machines out the door as possible.

Chiggs

Hurray for anecdotal evidence!

DEFECTIVE XBOX 360'S SWEEP THE NATION!

P.S. Slashdot is for flakes.

Juice

quadriplegicjon said:
there tends to be more defective consoles around launch time.. its just the way its always happened.. especcially when they are rushing to get as many machines out the door as possible.

People are quick to say that something "always happens" around a launch, but I can't think of a system launch when crashes, disc-scratching drives, overheating, and the like were all the norm from day one.

In fact, of all major hardware launches, the only one with anything close to this kind of problem that I can think of is the software glitches that made Dreamcast games unplayable until replacement discs got sent out. And that wasn't (technically) a hardware issue.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
It may not be relevant to the finished retail units, but the system that was on demo at my local Wally World was plagued by glitches, overheating, and disk read errors. I don't think I went up there a single time and found it in working condition. The few times I did play it, I had to have an associate reboot the system for me (the reset button didn't work nor would the 360 button on the controller power the unit on).

LakeEarth

The only crash I had was playing Fable, clicking the "demos" section. Obviously I shouldn't have been trying that but I was curious to see how it would work. It didn't.

Shompola

Banned
Well Gaming Age even had an article, a shitty one about how Xboxs were dying all over NA. Dreamcast is another one, and then we have the PS2 incident in Japan.... And who can forget the dead pixel issue with PSP in NA, and the disc drives dying in Japan. Nintendo hardware are the only one I cant remember hearing anything negative about.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Juice said:
People are quick to say that something "always happens" around a launch, but I can't think of a system launch when crashes, disc-scratching drives, overheating, and the like were all the norm from day one.

In fact, of all major hardware launches, the only one with anything close to this kind of problem that I can think of is the software glitches that made Dreamcast games unplayable until replacement discs got sent out. And that wasn't (technically) a hardware issue.

but is it really the norm for the 360? i think you just hear more and more of these issues now because of the internet.. werent people supposedly having issues with the original xbox and ps2 ?

Juice

Chiggs said:
Hurray for anecdotal evidence!

Granted, there's no good way to tell, but since the people who post at GAF tend to post in threads when shit works and when it doesn't (it's not like they're signing up here on a whim just to bitch), if it's all one or the other it's a pretty good way to tell if it's a problem.

When PSP launched it was pretty clear that maybe a third the people who posted had a dead pixel(s), and that was probably a representative ratio.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its a launch, so people are caught up in a frenzy. If their machine doesn't work they are therefore disproportionately annoyed than if they'd got a broken CD player which they could replace instantly - they know they may have to wait.

Then most of the launch buyers are early adopters. So more are likely to be bloggers or post shit on forums.

Plus there will be some kind of 'race' to be the first to post - good or bad - about their 360 experience.

It'll take a few days to shake down before we know whether there is a serious problem or not.

-james-

I was at Target last weekend and the kiosk was dead. Xbox was on but just a blank black screen. People were attemping to play is (pressing buttons) and the guy working electronics said it had been dead for the last couple days. Maybe they over heat in those platic enclosures? Take it for what its worth....

Chiggs

Juice said:
Granted, there's no good way to tell, but since the people who post at GAF tend to post in threads when shit works and when it doesn't (it's not like they're signing up here on a whim just to bitch), if it's all one or the other it's a pretty good way to tell if it's a problem.

The 360's run pretty warm, so I'd wager that *some* of these problems are due to people not giving the unit enough "breathing room".

Juice

Chiggs said:
The 360's run pretty warm, so I'd wager that *some* of these problems are due to people not giving the unit enough "breathing room".

Jesus, good thing it's winter.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Shompola said:
Well Gaming Age even had an article, a shitty one about how Xboxs were dying all over NA. Dreamcast is another one, and then we have the PS2 incident in Japan.... And who can forget the dead pixel issue with PSP in NA, and the disc drives dying in Japan. Nintendo hardware are the only one I cant remember hearing anything negative about.

Thats because Nintendo hires the keebler elves to assemble their products.

McFly

Chiggs said:

And it meens that the cooling system is designed to the limit. Just wait till it's summer, hot temperatures and already dust collecting inside the box. I foresee a lot more problems by then.

Fredi

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Juice said:

It is not the norm. Anecdotal internet "evidence" ALWAYS blows things out of proportion.

teiresias

McFly said:
And it meens that the cooling system is designed to the limit. Just wait till it's summer, hot temperatures and already dust collecting inside the box. I foresee a lot more problems by then.

Fredi

You're so meen.

rawk

Shompola said:

A lot of launch Gamecubes had disc read error problems after a couple months. That's about all I can rememeber.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I think it's pretty common for launch units to have more problems than units manufactured later in a consoles life. They can work out the kinks that way. Hence, another reason I am waiting.

MrDaravon

I was in Walmart last night talking to my old boss, and he said they'd had one return already because the system just flat out wouldn't turn on, he said he even tried hooking it up there and no go. I'm sure that's far, far from the norm, but interesteing nonetheless.

I'm not surprised in the least, based on my own experience. I had severe launch day problems with DC, PS2, and Xbox. Only my Gamecube made it through the first day problem-free.

I haven't decided if I will wait a few months for 360, or simply get it at costco for the no-hassle return policy.

bill0527

My system has been used a total of 16 hours since 9am yesterday.

I've played CoD2, PGR3, and PD0. I've also been using the media extender fuctions quite a bit because I've got a media center PC. I haven't had anything crash on me, but I did have a problem last night where my Xbox360 just quit working with my media center PC and wouldn't connect with it. I had to reinstall the extender software on my PC and then it had to scan again for all of my media and add it to the library, which took about 30 minutes because I've got around 200CD's and a ton of taped TV shows. It was a real hassle and I hope it doesn't happen again.

No6

McFly said:

Fredi
Temp and dust won't make nearly as much of an impact as physically blocking off vents does.

Razoric

Banned
No6 said:
Temp and dust won't make nearly as much of an impact as physically blocking off vents does.

Seriously guys, this airflow shit is getting out of control. You act as if gamers seal their systems in heated metal boxes. :lol

Mojojo

Shompola said:
Once upon a time, Nintendo recalled all its famicom units on store shelves in Japan because of a faulty chip that made some games freeze. Cost them half a million $, I guess they learned their lesson that day.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I should have learned my lesson with the Xbox, afterall, I'm on my 3rd one. But I'm not learning at all, just waiting for the 360.

Kangu

Banned
It's typical for customers who have a bad experience to be 8 times more vocal than those who have none.

i think it was 8

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
well, at the end of the day, it will come down to percentage. I'm going to attempt to find the number of returns at my gamestop and the local ones (to get a better sample for the statistics) while i'm working there during the holidays next week. Compare it to the number sold to get a VERY LIMITED somewhat innacurate average. Which would be far more acurate then the evidence being spouted elsewhere.

vas

Kangu said:
It's typical for customers who have a bad experience to be 8 times more vocal than those who have none.

i think it was 8

You have to also remember that not everyone with problems is posting on various bords. Lots of casuals don't even know the existance of gaming forums. The real extent of the problem will be known in a couple of weeks from retailers.

Top Bottom