• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 can't read discs anymore: replace or upgrade?

Zephir

Here's my problem...a couple days ago I decided to plug my old 360 on, wanting to stream some old games on Twitch.

It was working well, the demos i downloaded years ago were still there and everything was good... But when I tried to play a disk... Nothing, the console couldn't read it, no game at all. I tried basically every game i own, but nothing.

I obviously tried to clean the system, in and out, different placements but nothing. I guess the drive is gone.

I own a lot of games so i really want to be able to play them in the future. My question is: should i buy another 360 or upgrade it to a Xbox One?

Obviously, the answer WOULD be simple, because the One is backward compatible and i could potentially add a Game Pass for current gen games (even thought i don't really care) but here's the problem: a lot of my games just aren't backwards compatible.

wvQvaHv.jpg

What would you do? Screw those games, buy them on PC and go for a One or keep them all with an old console?

RAIDEN1

Y
I would get an X Box One X or Series X
Yeah but even with that it won't help in playing games like Transformers, great pic by the way OP, as I am looking to catch up with games I missed in the 360/PS3 gen, recently purchased Blur, looking to get Alpha Protocol and James Bond Bloodstone eventually...shame they aren't backward compatible either...that and Project Gotham Racing 4

turtlepowa

Banned
Replace it if you need those games, should be 30-40 bucks.If not go for a One X or if on a budget One/S + Game Pass.

Y

Yeah but even with that it won't help in playing games like Transformers, great pic by the way OP, as I am looking to catch up with games I missed in the 360/PS3 gen, recently purchased Blur, looking to get Alpha Protocol and James Bond Bloodstone eventually...shame they aren't backward compatible either...that and Project Gotham Racing 4
I could live without transformers and just enjoy the big upgrade that many 360 games got on the Series X or One X

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
nice collection. How is Harry Potter on GC?

I would look for a replacement 360. Seems like you have a good amount of games you want to continue to play which arent BC and you are a games collector at least to some extent. Also 360s are dirt cheap right now (I should know I just sold mine on Sunday no joke). I imagine they wont get cheaper and worst case scenario they will start to go up in price.

Look for a good condition Model S.

93xfan

Banned
Series X. Definitely not the One X.

also, it’s still possible some of those games could become BC. who knows?

Yeah but Transformers is just one example what about the other lot, none of them would be playable...
I much rather get a Series X and play new games and be able to play quite a lot of the old games with the big upgrade's for free. At worst you can also buy the remaster for Dragon Dogma too.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
You can always learn how to change diskdrive from YouTube tutorial and buy a repair kit online.

You would be good to go for the next couple years !

Kupfer

I obviously tried to clean the system, in and out, different placements but nothing. I guess the drive is gone.
Does the disk drive spin the disk inside?
If so, how extensive was your cleaning? Was it I-clean-the-lens-of-the-laser-with-a-cotton-ball-and-99%-alcohol extensive? This would be a 5$ repair, did it with my 360 years ago.
You can always learn how to change diskdrive from YouTube tutorial and buy a repair kit online.

You would be good to go for the next couple years !
As far as I remember, it's not that easy. The drive is paired with the mainboard by a key, so you would first have to read out this key and flash it on the new drive. If you can do that, it's easy, but if not, it's a bit complicated.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I much rather get a Series X and play new games and be able to play quite a lot of the old games with the big upgrade's for free. At worst you can also buy the remaster for Dragon Dogma too.
For me when it comes to certain games I missed out on, or in the case of games that have not been bettered to this day: TopSpin 4 then having the 360 there is great, yet to check out Blur, Alpha Protocol, Enslaved, James Bond Bloodstone..

pasterpl

I just bought Xbox 360 e just to play PGR4, I would recommend trying to fix it and if this doesn’t work buying some cheap Xbox 360 of eBay If you only care about playing these older games

Patrick S.

Banned
Does the disk drive spin the disk inside?
If so, how extensive was your cleaning? Was it I-clean-the-lens-of-the-laser-with-a-cotton-ball-and-99%-alcohol extensive? This would be a 5$ repair, did it with my 360 years ago.

As far as I remember, it's not that easy. The drive is paired with the mainboard by a key, so you would first have to read out this key and flash it on the new drive. If you can do that, it's easy, but if not, it's a bit complicated.
Correct. I still have the hardware to probe the drive key and so on. But at this point it's really not worth it to repair a 360, since you could probably get another one with ten games (nine of them probably being FIFA games) and a controller for fifty bucks.

DaGwaphics

I'd not bother with a X1 in any form tbh. The Series S is a better move.

Although if you are going used, the X1 family is probably the only option. Entire 360 systems are cheap today, you might find a functional unit for the price of the disk drive. If you go the repair/replace route, I would install any games you plan to play/stream to the hdd (or usb hdd) to avoid potential wear on the new drive/console.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Second hand 360's are VERY cheap. Just get a good slim model en be done with it.

Ya I just sold my 250 GB slim. Some scratches on the console but worked great no issues. Included the official headset, the box, 1 controller with the official play and charge kit (rarely used), and 4 games. Halo 1, Halo 3, SFIV and Viva Pinata.

Tried to get 100 no takers ended up getting 80 but it was listed on FB marketplace for a couple months.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Looking on Ebay you can get a decent condtion 360 for $70-100. Might as well buy one since they are so cheap. Local may even be a bit cheaper then that if you can find one. I think the retro shop near me sells them for around $50.

Last edited:

Arkam

Check your collection against X1/XSX BC compatibility. If you are happy get a series X. If it leaves out some of your favorite games, get another 360.

For me when it comes to certain games I missed out on, or in the case of games that have not been bettered to this day: TopSpin 4 then having the 360 there is great, yet to check out Blur, Alpha Protocol, Enslaved, James Bond Bloodstone..
I have 2 360's and yeah there are some great games that are not BC. I must be honest I simply haven't bothered with the 360 since the Series X. I also found Virtual Tennis IV to be better than Topspin ;)

Depends. Apparently, its been discovered that the Xbox one's disc playback will become unplayable once they cut the online servers for it. It, and the PS4, have a type of DRM fail state in place that'll render disc playback unplayable once online support gets/is removed.

Zeroing

Banned
I think it’s hard to find a replacement dvd drive. I would skip Xbox one, it’s not a pleasant experience, I am talking about the UI, speed ...

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Depends. Apparently, its been discovered that the Xbox one's disc playback will become unplayable once they cut the online servers for it. It, and the PS4, have a type of DRM fail state in place that'll render disc playback unplayable once online support gets/is removed.

Source?

kuncol02

Banned
Here's my problem...a couple days ago I decided to plug my old 360 on, wanting to stream some old games on Twitch.

It was working well, the demos i downloaded years ago were still there and everything was good... But when I tried to play a disk... Nothing, the console couldn't read it, no game at all. I tried basically every game i own, but nothing.

I own a lot of games so i really want to be able to play them in the future. My question is: should i buy another 360 or upgrade it to a Xbox One?

Obviously, the answer WOULD be simple, because the One is backward compatible and i could potentially add a Game Pass for current gen games (even thought i don't really care) but here's the problem: a lot of my games just aren't backwards compatible.

wvQvaHv.jpg

What would you do? Screw those games, buy them on PC and go for a One or keep them all with an old console?
Why just not fix it? You can buy new laser for like 10$ If your repair will be unsuccessful then you loose basically nothing. It wasn't working anyway.

Get the xbox360. That old controller is far more comfortable than these new ones. Due to less stick sensitivity and generous dead zones.

It's like a bouncy honda civic, compared to finely tuned and responsive Porsche that are new controllers. Makes relaxing games like Skyrim actually relaxing.

Get a Jasper on the 360. Those are the most reliable of the big 360s until the slim line. Never get the Zephyr line as those are garbage.

Kuranghi

I bought a Gear of War special edition in 2019, the red one that makes the mad noises, it was £60 and in excellent condition. That was the cheapest HDMI equipped one I could get, which I needed because I was using component on my old HDMI-less 360 but my new TV doesn't have component. I found out that if you don't spend a decent chunk of money on a Component to HDMI converter (more than the Xbox cost me) you get crushed blacks, which made Burnout and Black unplayable.

Zephir

Thanks for all your replies, I can't answer all of them right now, but will do once I get back home, thanks a lot again!
nice collection. How is Harry Potter on GC?

Oh that xD it was from a time when I was "scamming" GameStop...ok, not really scamming, lol.

An electronic store was selling tons of gamecube games for 1/2/5€ and a gamestop pretty close by was accepting gamecube games for cheap new titles (the usual "bring two games, get this new one for 9.99)

Bought a lot of them and sold them back to gamestop for profit... Unfortunately, it was near the time when GS stopped accepting GC games, so the last ones I bought for cheap, I kept them...harry potter and heist were among them.

As for the game itself...it was weird...heavily co-op based during normal levels, but totally single player during the goblet of fire trials

Top Bottom