• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K23 - Official Showcase Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the WWE 2K23 showcase trailer and revisit John Cena's 20-year wrestling career, featuring Dave Bautista, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, The Undertaker, and more wrestling superstars. Do you have what it takes to beat the 16-time World Champion?

WWE 2K23 will be released on March 17 on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, and Xbox One, featuring John Cena as the WWE 2K23 cover star.

SCB3

I'll admit, this looks fantastic, last years entry was a good step in the right direction, I just wish they could leave the previous gen and have actual 5 v 5 plus more on screen now, the dream of a full ring 30 man Rumble will come to pass one day.

Though I will say, its a shame that there is no physical CE edition now, they stopped doing them since 2k19 in favor of the ICON digital releases, I always though they were actually really good editions, last years could've been amazing if they included a Rey Mysterio Mask replica or something

Kacho

So, any major improvements here or is it just a carbon copy of 2K22 with a showcase mode featuring John Cena?

I skipped 2K22 because it seemed like more a solid foundation for the future of WWE games

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
71kXn6gArEL.jpg

Learning curve is tough, when I was a senior in high school it was

51MUsjuxKkL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

GreatnessRD

Just hope the PC is current gen and not the last gen version like they did last year. Let's see what Fraudulent Concepts can build on.

SCB3

So, any major improvements here or is it just a carbon copy of 2K22 with a showcase mode featuring John Cena?

I skipped 2K22 because it seemed like more a solid foundation for the future of WWE games
They do improve upon it year after year, 2k20 was awful and rightly shat on, 2K22 was really good, this should be better than that

NickFire

I am not falling for this again. Got all excited for last year's version which played well enough. But every time a couple of us tried playing together we had to jump through hoops. For some reason I could only see some of my friends in the in game menu. This was same issue another had. Setting up online matches took steps like way back in time when only some people had 3way calling. One person had to invite x. Then x had to invite y, as the first person could not see y. Horrible online, and once done I don't think tag teams even had tag team entrances online.

Gave it a chance, got burned, not going back. Only saving grace was the ultimate team type mode was so horrible I never spent a penny on packs.

TheShocker

I bought 2k22 and enjoyed it. I also hadn’t purchased a wrestling game since the N64 days so I have no reference to whether it was good or not. Unless this is something drastically different, I’ll grab 23 on sale.

It’s nice to see them trying, given AEW is hitting just before it, but 3v3 and 4v4 war games? Lol, lazy.

I hope they do well, but I’ll be giving AEW a go this year, because I want to support something new.
Also it doesn’t have a Paul brother or a “bad bunny”, whatever the fuck that is.

Ristifer

It’s nice to see them trying, given AEW is hitting just before it, but 3v3 and 4v4 war games? Lol, lazy.

I hope they do well, but I’ll be giving AEW a go this year, because I want to support something new.
Also it doesn’t have a Paul brother or a “bad bunny”, whatever the fuck that is.
Does AEW finally have a confirmed release date?

the last 2k game I played was 17. I’m just not a fan of the gameplay.

I’ve always been a N64 revenge and no mercy type of guy.

I’ll pick up AEW once I see how the reviews are.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, that's where I'm at. I thought 2K22 was pretty cool, and it was the first wrestling game I bought in YEARS. One thing I wasn't a fan of was just how everything was put together. The UI, the loop, menus, etc. Sometimes it felt like I had to go through hoops just to do the most basic thing...

The N64 wrestling games were easily my favorite hands down, and I'm hoping for the best with Fight Forever. But man, the trickling of content and lack of certain info is concerning to me. Just hoping the outcome is great.

DosGamer

I'll buy this because I am a sucker for wrestling games. Last years WWE game was miles better than the attempts of the past few years. I always have the same problem tho as I end up not being 100% happy with the roster and there are always a couple of names that are left off and keep it from being top notch. I know they have really good CAW's but its just not the same as an original character or a DLC toon.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Get your first look at WWE 2K23 WarGames, the fan-favorite mode featuring both 3v3 and 4v4 single-player and multiplayer matches. These matches take place inside two side-by-side rings, surrounded by a huge double-steel cage. The latest WWE 2K23 gameplay trailer for the upcoming wrestling game also gives us a peek at some exciting match-ups, including cover superstar, John Cena, The Rock, Bianca Belair, The Undertaker, Rhea Ripley, Bobby Lashley, Logan Paul, and more.

WWE 2K23 will be released on March 17, 2023 on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, and Xbox One.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We played an early build of WWE 2K23 and are happy to report the changes made for this year's installment are going to make fans of the games very happy.

The WarGames match type is incredibly chaotic and can be hard to follow at times, much like the real product itself. It is made up of two three- or four-man teams, depending on what you choose (we only had access to 3v3). Two opposing wrestlers start the battle inside two rings which are encased in a steel cage, and one-by-one, members of each team are released from cages in the crowd. Momentum swings back and forth as one team gets the advantage over the other and team members make their way to the ring. No one can win the match, however, until every member of each team has entered the WarGames bout. Yes, it's exceptionally convoluted as far as rules go, but luckily, an intro scene before the match breaks down everything for you. We're pretty sure there was also audio explaining the rules on that screen, but the room was a bit noisy, so we couldn't hear anything.

Outside of the learning curve of the rules, the match type is a breath of fresh air for a franchise that needed something special to keep up with the television product. Once you embrace the utter chaos within the confines of two wrestling rings enclosed in a cage, the match type is one of the most fun and innovative things 2K Games has done with the franchise in years. Depending on who you are playing as, you can even do springboard maneuvers between the two rings, which is something that completely caught me by surprise. "The Trench"--the area between the two rings--is a confined space your wrestlers can find themselves in from time to time, but unlike the limited area of movement in Hell in a Cell matches, you have a much fuller range of movement in The Trench, so it doesn't have a No Man's Land feel. You can and should fight in this area, as you'll want to use the entirety of the brawling space available, including climbing to the top of the cage and moving around by scooching on your butt. Granted, there's not necessarily a tactical reason to do that, but it is pretty funny to watch.

Outside of the chaos, the first thing WWE fans will notice is that WarGames has a different presentation compared to the live TV product. Typically the wrestlers who haven't entered the battle wait for their chance to come out in shark cages--which tend to be at the top of the entrance ramp. WWE 2K23 puts these wrestlers in cages in the middle of the section behind the ring, complete with stairs for them to walk down, so players can always see the other members of their team awaiting their chance to get involved in WarGames. And when these wrestlers enter the ring, they may or may not toss a treasure-trove of weapons into the ring--whether they do so is an extra randomized element.

From the build we played, WarGames works. It's something we were skeptical of because the real-life version is an exciting match type, but one that can be hard to follow. Sure, WWE 2K23's version is also somewhat hard to follow at times, but that works given how chaotic the match is meant to be. Yes, you're primarily taking on one person at a time, but you also have to be mindful of the rest of your members of your team, in case you have to break up a pinfall or submission. Then, there are two rings, so you can separate from the other people in order to have more time to pin someone, but in doing so, you put distance between yourself and other members of the team, making it tougher to break up pins. There are tough decisions to make, and that's what makes this such an exciting--and at times, anxiety-inducing--match type.

Last edited:

SCB3

I'm kinda hyped not gonna lie, I liked 2k22 a lot and this looks to be a build on that, with AEW's Fight Forever no where to be seen (and looking fucking awful for the most part as well), this will be a perfect pick up and play game, shame about the price of the Icon Edition, £104 is a lot to ask for a digital only CE, I miss the older WWE CE, I havea couple and they're pretty decent for fans like myself

MrMephistoX

On the fence I tried the game trial of 2K22 on PlayStation and really liked it and I remember being turned off by the thq games: is this significantly better or is it going to go on digital sale in like 2 months? It’s my bday and thinking of getting it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom