• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

cryptoadam

Banned
Look I like the ladies, but there is to much womens wrestling.

Notice on AEW the women are an afterthought and get like 1 segment if they are lucky?

I am sure I will get piled on, and I love the women in NXT, but women's sports in general is never really a draw. You have maybe Tennis and US womens soccer and then thats about it.

Think how many male wrestlers would be in storylines or on TV or in segments if you got rid of most of the womens stuff.
I ain't trying to shit on the ladies that work hard and often times can put on better matches then the guys. But I just think its facts.

Imagine the attitude era or NWO era with womens wrestling like in the WWE. Guys like Foley and NAO's and Kane and half of the NWO would not have gotten TV time so instead we could have 3 women's matches a show and multiple womens titles.

WWE has a huge roster, with dozens of wrestlers in NXT and developmental chomping at the bit. Add in guys in IMPACT/Indies/MLW that could all be given a shot. And instead we have weeks of Lana/Nia/Natalya/Lacey storylines. As much as people want to force it, in the end the main audience for wrestling are males, generally either horny teenagers or young kids.

there is never going to be a female Rock or Hogan or Austin as far as drawing money and propelling wrestling into the mainstream. But a guy like Black or Owens or the dozen of other guys who can't get TV time could be.

Dthomp

Becky Lynch says Hi, she moved merch like nobody else during her run and was as mainstream as you are going to get in modern wrestling.

Women having matches isn't keeping talent back, talent just going through the motions is holding some back. I agree that sometimes WWE puts TOO MANY womens matches on a show, but that is only bad if 2 out of the 3 are the women who aren't really doing much of anything.

I'm all for equal opportunity for men and women in the ring. The downside is a lot of the women in WWE aren't really at any kind of level because of them learning only the WWE style. Other places to much more but they either don't give the women enough time or else put people out there that aren't prepared to be out there.

Dthomp

I'm all for equal opportunity for men and women in the ring. The downside is a lot of the women in WWE aren't really at any kind of level because of them learning only the WWE style. Other places to much more but they either don't give the women enough time or else put people out there that aren't prepared to be out there.
I'd also point out that almost always especially the WWE womens division the storylines are dreadful and are usually just this girl is jealous of that girl.

The big issue is that kind of jumped the shark I think trying to be all Womens revolution as far as having an all female PPV instead of making it just a one off episode of Raw and they kept pushing it. They have the talent, but it's spread between three brands and they called up all kinds of terrible women who aren't ready.

Nia Jax should never have left NXT, but I guess at least her awfulness gave us an amazing year of Becky who they never knew how to do shit with prior for the most part.

Most of the NXT women callups have been way to soon, and not ready. Dana Brooke? She was beyond green but another Vince thing. Shayna? She never develped a character in NXT, they should have waited or brought up the other two MMA women with her to protect her. Ember...I was never a fan, but anybody who's watched wrestling knew she wasn't going to get over on the main roster. She is a one move poney, and much like Crews was with the men having one or two athletic things can't get you over with no character or personality.

I would put money, that if you had somebody passionate about doing some good writing and developing, the WWE womens roster would be a top womens division in the world, but they just don't care enough. Ignoring Charlotte and Becky who are gone, and may or may not return, the list of people who could be amazing with some development and care in the stories being told

These women should be featured:

Asuka? In a fucking tag team with Lana? She should be an unbeatable machine much like her NXT run, towing the line of face and heel until the eventual return of Becky or Ronda.

Sasha and Bayley just had a great program, but thanks to shit planning and needing something to happen NOW we lost what should have been leading up to an epic Mania match between the two. They just can't seem to find the right push for either of these women to really engage people they way they did in NXT.

Lacey Evans...How do you fuck this up? Oh that's right, Vince all over her. Sassy Southern Belle? She was a fucking Marine, and an actual role model for women. Easily should be a monster babyface, or just a solid villian. Same character, she just knows she's better then you because of how badass she is, not this southern belle crap.

Bianca is a beast, but they would rather tape videos about her beating people in races and shit.

Rhea...She was set up to be the next big thing, then Charlotte needed some praise or something?

Alexa- Deserves so much better then being a part of Bray Wyatts fat funhouse universe. She carried the womens division for years til the bad luck of getting concussed a bunch by Ronda.

Quality Women to use also:
Mandy Rose
Mickey James
Peyton Royce
Shayna (If you include MMA Chicks in NXT)
Carmella
Liv Morgan
Ruby Riott
Io

Keep like 4-5 of the Billie Kays of the world for jobbing duties and send the rest to NXT or packing.

TLDR: Women need more compelling stories, not just I don't like her I'm jealous stories.

I'd also point out that almost always especially the WWE womens division the storylines are dreadful and are usually just this girl is jealous of that girl.

The big issue is that kind of jumped the shark I think trying to be all Womens revolution as far as having an all female PPV instead of making it just a one off episode of Raw and they kept pushing it. They have the talent, but it's spread between three brands and they called up all kinds of terrible women who aren't ready.

Nia Jax should never have left NXT, but I guess at least her awfulness gave us an amazing year of Becky who they never knew how to do shit with prior for the most part.

Most of the NXT women callups have been way to soon, and not ready. Dana Brooke? She was beyond green but another Vince thing. Shayna? She never develped a character in NXT, they should have waited or brought up the other two MMA women with her to protect her. Ember...I was never a fan, but anybody who's watched wrestling knew she wasn't going to get over on the main roster. She is a one move poney, and much like Crews was with the men having one or two athletic things can't get you over with no character or personality.

I would put money, that if you had somebody passionate about doing some good writing and developing, the WWE womens roster would be a top womens division in the world, but they just don't care enough. Ignoring Charlotte and Becky who are gone, and may or may not return, the list of people who could be amazing with some development and care in the stories being told

These women should be featured:

Asuka? In a fucking tag team with Lana? She should be an unbeatable machine much like her NXT run, towing the line of face and heel until the eventual return of Becky or Ronda.

Sasha and Bayley just had a great program, but thanks to shit planning and needing something to happen NOW we lost what should have been leading up to an epic Mania match between the two. They just can't seem to find the right push for either of these women to really engage people they way they did in NXT.

Lacey Evans...How do you fuck this up? Oh that's right, Vince all over her. Sassy Southern Belle? She was a fucking Marine, and an actual role model for women. Easily should be a monster babyface, or just a solid villian. Same character, she just knows she's better then you because of how badass she is, not this southern belle crap.

Bianca is a beast, but they would rather tape videos about her beating people in races and shit.

Rhea...She was set up to be the next big thing, then Charlotte needed some praise or something?

Alexa- Deserves so much better then being a part of Bray Wyatts fat funhouse universe. She carried the womens division for years til the bad luck of getting concussed a bunch by Ronda.

Quality Women to use also:
Mandy Rose
Mickey James
Peyton Royce
Shayna (If you include MMA Chicks in NXT)
Carmella
Liv Morgan
Ruby Riott
Io

Keep like 4-5 of the Billie Kays of the world for jobbing duties and send the rest to NXT or packing.

TLDR: Women need more compelling stories, not just I don't like her I'm jealous stories.
You're missing Sonya Deville, she had an amazing build up in character development with her splitting up Fire and Desire. She's probably still taking care of things since that stalker tried to kidnap her. Hopefully, when Sonya comes back, she be ready for a championship opportunity

Dthomp

You're missing Sonya Deville, she had an amazing build up in character development with her splitting up Fire and Desire. She's probably still taking care of things since that stalker tried to kidnap her. Hopefully, when Sonya comes back, she be ready for a championship opportunity

Good call, I completely forgot about Sonya, probably cause I was looking at a roster page of the shows and since she's "fired" story wise she's not listed. Yeah hope she's not to messed up from the real life stuff she went through. Problem is that WWE will fail upon reintroducing her and go right back to making her enhancement talent.

Phobos Base

Look I like the ladies, but there is to much womens wrestling.

Notice on AEW the women are an afterthought and get like 1 segment if they are lucky?

I am sure I will get piled on, and I love the women in NXT, but women's sports in general is never really a draw. You have maybe Tennis and US womens soccer and then thats about it.

Think how many male wrestlers would be in storylines or on TV or in segments if you got rid of most of the womens stuff.
I ain't trying to shit on the ladies that work hard and often times can put on better matches then the guys. But I just think its facts.

Imagine the attitude era or NWO era with womens wrestling like in the WWE. Guys like Foley and NAO's and Kane and half of the NWO would not have gotten TV time so instead we could have 3 women's matches a show and multiple womens titles.

WWE has a huge roster, with dozens of wrestlers in NXT and developmental chomping at the bit. Add in guys in IMPACT/Indies/MLW that could all be given a shot. And instead we have weeks of Lana/Nia/Natalya/Lacey storylines. As much as people want to force it, in the end the main audience for wrestling are males, generally either horny teenagers or young kids.

there is never going to be a female Rock or Hogan or Austin as far as drawing money and propelling wrestling into the mainstream. But a guy like Black or Owens or the dozen of other guys who can't get TV time could be.

People forget that there was a lot of crap in the attitude era as well - for every Mick Foley you also had a Bull Buchanan, the NWO had the likes of Virgil and Ed Leslie in it and there were a lot of pointless matches that went a few minutes before ending in a non finish. WWE wastes a lot of it's male and female roster, and the problem is they still don't give most of the women enough tv time or good storylines, then wonder why they don't get over. Nia is indeed utterly usless, but it's not as if they don't have a history of pushing terrible male wrestlers just based on their looks and or heritage.

Harts316

about the WWE beating feuds into the ground thing. And giving away everything. I mean look. Drew and AJ have already been in a ring now, with ladders and AJ attacked him. Why even do that?

i feel as WWE treats RAW like it is a house show sometimes. Like back in the day WWE was on maybe once a week. For an hour. And u rarely saw the champ. You would get feuds. But what your weren't seeing is the people feuding were having matches constantly on house shows. Gimmick matches, tag matches and every other thing they could think up.

But on TV when they faced it felt more epic. And special. Because you haven't seen them get physical already. You haven't seen them on opposite sides of the ring already. WWE is so formulaic. It is like we are watching someones WWE Universe play through they booked on WWE 2k14.

Tag champs lose a non-title match to another team, and they become the #1 contenders? How shocking. Someone is distracted and gets beaten with a roll-up? gasp

This is the main reason why I stopped watching WWE.

I grew up in the 80s and watched all of the big build-ups with the Hogan feuds (Savage, Warrior, Andre, Slaughter, Sid... etc). You would rarely see Hogan and the current heel interact on free TV for months leading up to the match. It made the eventual face off feel like a big moment. Weekly tag matches, run-ins and non-title matches water it down so the eventual match they are building up to feels watered down.

Sonya is my lesbian spirit animal

NickFire

The problem with the women's division of WWE is not the talent, and fall solely on the feet of how badly the programs are booked IMO. Both the men and the women need more creative freedom. They are all treated like actors who can wrestle, instead of wrestler's who can act.

Bullet Club

4qCRZ52.jpg

b9ITVNA.jpg

lQ2YToJ.png

dave_d

I wonder if Dark Side of the ring will mention Jake's murdered sister. (I saw him mention it on "Beyond the Mat" but never could get any further info about her or what happened.) BTW, I am going to have to listen to Cornette to see what he says about Jelly actually beating the WWE.

tried to watch some AEW again (i watched for like a month or 2 a year ago)

Its ok. I remember last year the only real highlight being Inner Circle. Now they seem lame. They have the worst segments of the shows i've been watching. Young Bucks are still having the same exact spotfest i remember them having in ROH every other week. Darby Allin and Britt Baker are some bright spots for me

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I watched that match between Carmella and Banks this week. Shes a good heel.
She looked like a better wrestler and is hotter than Banks. Hope she wins the title at some point.

Dthomp

tried to watch some AEW again (i watched for like a month or 2 a year ago)

Its ok. I remember last year the only real highlight being Inner Circle. Now they seem lame. They have the worst segments of the shows i've been watching. Young Bucks are still having the same exact spotfest i remember them having in ROH every other week. Darby Allin and Britt Baker are some bright spots for me

Inner Circle is in a weird spot in AEW right now. They are bloated, and that is for the inevitable booting of Jericho and probably Sammy, but in the meantime it's just a mess of too many guys, and having them in a main event multi against a million jobbers didn't make alot of sense to me. I love the longterm booking they do, but the IC needs to be broken up sooner rather then later, but it doesn't feel like it's anywhere near where it needs to be for the payoff to be worth it, and probably won't until Revolution.

Bucks are what they are, for better or worse, they need to find something to define them other then superkick spotfest matches. While I don't hate their matches, I'd rather watch FTR wrestle anyone because of their chemistry.

I like Darby, but I don't really care for the way he got to the TV title, and the whole angle felt like a way to get the belt off of Cody to Darby without making Darby look the better wrestler, and is just an afterthought to Cody/Sting (cause of course he is, Cody won't let anyone in his angles look better then him). Darby to me is the Young Bucks to you, it's the same thing every match to me and I just don't buy him as a champion as most of his feuds have been him being beat up. Orange Cassidy is booked better then him, and OC is terrible.

Britt is literally the only female I care about on their roster outside of Shida. They give way too much TV time to terrible female performers like Big Swole, Nyla, and every NWA chick. I get Statlander is hurt, but man go sign a former WWE female or two to help this awful roster improve. I wonder if had Britt not gotten hurt and had her last push stalled if she wouldn't be champion already.

Dthomp

I turn on the preshow for TLC, and Daniel Bryan is in a preshow 8 man tag? That alone shows one of the many things that are wrong with this company....

Well it wouldn't be WWE if Charlotte didn't walk in and get handed a belt immediately would it?
It just reeks Vince's quick fix schemes.

Reigns vs Owens, omg! This match felt like an Attitude Era type match! Kevin Owens showed us why he's a Superstar in his own right!

Dthomp

It just reeks Vince's quick fix schemes.

Reigns vs Owens, omg! This match felt like an Attitude Era type match! Kevin Owens showed us why he's a Superstar in his own right!

For sure, I was way more into that match then I thought I'd be. That KO we had tonight deserved that win, but they are in that bad spot of not being able to take the belt off of Roman yet. I hope they can find a way to keep KO relevant and near the title picture. It's time for WM season BS so time for talent to all get pushed down the card for all the part timers. Roman will get either Goldberg or the Rock at Mania, so no Owens or Bryan at Mania.

I'm to the point with KO that with him being 37 and hopefully having a few years left gets a chance to leave the WWE. They have had a main eventer in him for years and not once took advantage of him.

ON a side note, I hate Bray Wyatt. Talk about the opposite of KO. He has never been half as good in the ring and always gets good programs while being a giant fat piece of crap. Making matters worse is this Fiend character is just dumb, and somehow him and Randy Boring are main eventing a PPV in 2020 without a belt on the line...

Last edited:

Dthomp

Well that main event was 2020 in a nutshell. You have a banger of a match with KO and Roman, and you finish the night off with that crap? Get that shit out of here, corny and hell, and I'm beyond sick of these movie matches. Try harder to not make it obvious that it was a dummy in the ring to be lit on fire.

NickFire

WWE seems obsessed with pretending wrestler's killed each other (buried alive, lit on fire) for some reason. I just don't get it. When will they learn there are some limits to suspending disbelief? This is not compelling entertainment.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
WWE seems obsessed with pretending wrestler's killed each other (buried alive, lit on fire) for some reason. I just don't get it. When will they learn there are some limits to suspending disbelief? This is not compelling entertainment.
It's getting worse. Rey was thrown off a 4 story building and came back the next day. Then got his eye gouged out. It's devolving into some really silly stunt show shit.

dave_d

It's getting worse. Rey was thrown off a 4 story building and came back the next day. Then got his eye gouged out. It's devolving into some really silly stunt show shit.
Should I point out that at one point after "having his eye gouged out" they had him doing an interview on raw and the light made it so you could see through the patched out eye on his mask and his eye was clearly fine or should I not point that out?

cryptoadam

Banned
For sure, I was way more into that match then I thought I'd be. That KO we had tonight deserved that win, but they are in that bad spot of not being able to take the belt off of Roman yet. I hope they can find a way to keep KO relevant and near the title picture. It's time for WM season BS so time for talent to all get pushed down the card for all the part timers. Roman will get either Goldberg or the Rock at Mania, so no Owens or Bryan at Mania.

I'm to the point with KO that with him being 37 and hopefully having a few years left gets a chance to leave the WWE. They have had a main eventer in him for years and not once took advantage of him.

ON a side note, I hate Bray Wyatt. Talk about the opposite of KO. He has never been half as good in the ring and always gets good programs while being a giant fat piece of crap. Making matters worse is this Fiend character is just dumb, and somehow him and Randy Boring are main eventing a PPV in 2020 without a belt on the line...

I think Owens has had a great career. he has held almost all the championships mulitple times, wrestled all of the names, sold a ton of merch, made great money, and created a legacy in the WWE. Not everyone is going to be a Austin or Reigns or Cena. Seeing him come up from small nowhere Quebec to being one of the most recognizable names in WWE for the last 5-10 years is pretty cool. I think he has put in the work for a Hall of Fame career after he retires.

Wyatt sucks, I dislike his matches. And I don't get why they build him so much and then always have Orton manhandle him. Just don't know where you go with a storyline that Randy kill Bray.

Phobos Base

I think Owens has had a great career. he has held almost all the championships mulitple times, wrestled all of the names, sold a ton of merch, made great money, and created a legacy in the WWE. Not everyone is going to be a Austin or Reigns or Cena. Seeing him come up from small nowhere Quebec to being one of the most recognizable names in WWE for the last 5-10 years is pretty cool. I think he has put in the work for a Hall of Fame career after he retires.

Great talker as well, so could easily have a career as a manager, GM or commentator after retiring from in ring competition

NickFire

I forgot about Rey getting his eye gouged out! LOL. It really is delving into absurdity.

But no chair shots to the head please. Removing eyes and murdering people is where the line is drawn. Chair shots are way too far.

Phobos Base

I forgot about Rey getting his eye gouged out! LOL. It really is delving into absurdity.

But no chair shots to the head please. Removing eyes and murdering people is where the line is drawn. Chair shots are way too far.

Or the time The Giant fell off the roof into the river after losing the monster truck sumo at Halloween havoc 95, then turned up unharmed and bone dry about 10 minutes later.

I'm very glad they banned chair shots to the head though, some Attitude Era & ECW matches are kindof hard to watch when you know the effect it has on someone.

Top Bottom