• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Workout Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
I thought about starting to work out properly(I ve been Jogging for a while now),the thing is i am thin but my figure is kinda weak,and i dont really eat much at all,and even less Meat/Fish.Do you really need to eat much proteins if you just want get a decent shape?
Any good site on what to eat while working out?

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I'm going to be very brief. From my personal experience... (I was very tall and thin 2 years ago)

I went to GNC and got some 100% whey protein and hit the dumbells. Now I'm in excellent shape, but by doing so much weight training I had little time for cardio, so I'm slow as a turtle.

How old are you?

And yes, your diet is just as important as your workout. Keep good form when working out too, don't cheat, cheater!

Don't let anyone talk you into things like creatine or the like just yet, you're just starting out.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.

What Diet do you mean? Not eating much Meat/Fish but proteins instead,or just getting your proteins from those Products? Do you take less Fats when you only eat proteins?

pnjtony

I was gonna start a new thread, but it's so close to this one.

I used to be skinny as hell. Warp speed metabolism. I could eat anything and I did. When I turned 20 or so it just hit a brick wall but I never changed my eating habits. I graduated high school at all of 108lbs (5'5") and I now weigh about 175lbs. The most noticable result of my weight is my face, although my GF has seen what I looked like in high school and said I looked like a skeleton and she wouldn't have given me the time of day. The other result is I have a huge gut now. I tried doing sit ups and I was okay with it, but it just strengthened the muscle in my abs, but left the flab! As cliched as it sounds I had a six pack under my gut.

What kinds of excersices do I need to be doing? I've heard anything to get my heart rate up would be enough to start burning fat.

Any suggestions

Fleming, the body needs protein to build muscle, so yes, you need to eat it. Some sources are better than others, which is why loads of people drink protein shakes. Here are some foods high in protein that you should think about eating. If you are going to put the time into working out, don't let that effort go to waste with a poor diet.

pnjtony, you can't spot reduce, so if you want to lose fat from your stomach, you'll have to lower your overall body fat. Also keep in mind that the first place you gain weight is also where you'll lose it last. I can't give you any advice on what exercises would be best for weight loss, as I'm still trying to figure this out myself, but they say the best exercise is the one that you'll actually do regularly.

effzee

Don't let anyone talk you into things like creatine or the like just yet, you're just starting out.
Well let me talk you into it. :p If you have the money, consider it. Fact is, creatine will help u build more muscle and get stronger faster than those that don't take it.

pnjtony said:
I was gonna start a new thread, but it's so close to this one.

I used to be skinny as hell. Warp speed metabolism. I could eat anything and I did. When I turned 20 or so it just hit a brick wall but I never changed my eating habits. I graduated high school at all of 108lbs (5'5") and I now weigh about 175lbs. The most noticable result of my weight is my face, although my GF has seen what I looked like in high school and said I looked like a skeleton and she wouldn't have given me the time of day. The other result is I have a huge gut now. I tried doing sit ups and I was okay with it, but it just strengthened the muscle in my abs, but left the flab! As cliched as it sounds I had a six pack under my gut.

What kinds of excersices do I need to be doing? I've heard anything to get my heart rate up would be enough to start burning fat.

Any suggestions
Try doing intense cardio. By that i mean don't go for a slow jog, try doing interval training (sprint for one minute, jog for 3, sprint another minute,,jog for 3, etc...) for about 15 minutes. That will help you lose the gut.

The situps will not do anything towards your goal as you have already found out.

DJ Sl4m

Yea almost all the advice in here has been good.

You definately need more protein than normal to build muscle, but you don't want JUST protein.
For protein to be fully absorbed and distributed for your body to fully utilize it has to be ingested with a certain amount of carbs. 35-45 grams optimal for no fat gain, but getting enough to cause an insulin spike.

The carbs help spike your insulin levels which help you get the most out of your meals, but be cautious if anyone reading this is a lil overweight you're best keeping away from it as it can and certainly will slap weight on you faster that you may be prepared for.

And I was also surprised when I read the post where pnjtony actually paid enough attention to his own body that he realized the sit ups don't burn fat and was litterally giving hin a larger gut.
More people need to pay attention to themselves like this, this is what it takes to fully take advantage of any training.
You have to plan and adapt to whatever it takes to scupt your body to the way you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom