• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman London Set Visits: She's The Man Who Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around 15 minutes of footage was shown to various media outlets during a visit to the Warner Bros' production facility in London.

Spoilers ahoy in every single one of these articles if that wasn't made clear.

I would like to point out however that the neogaf leak about the film's plot was wrong on one account: the boat scene. The leak states that Diana doesn't know what sex is when asked about the subject by Steve. However these visits confirm that Diana knows a lot, to the point where she's read all '12 volumes of Cleo's treatises on pleasure' which concluded that men were vital to procreation but not sexual pleasure. This lines up with this reddit leak, though this one also needs to be taken with a grain of salt since they said
Antiope dies
which we can safely say is false thanks to the info gathered here.

The scenes shown to the media were the boat scene (briefly seen in the comic con trailer where Diana says she was created by Zeus), the scene when the duo first arrive in London, the No Man's Land scene (seen in both trailers) and a brief conversation between Ludendorf and Dr. Poison concerning the deadly gases concocted by the latter.

Blastr.com - Patty Jenkins Interview and Footage Breakdown <- this is the source of the dialogue detailed below.

Screenrant

Collider - Patty Interview, other articles from the visit are at the bottom of the page

Nerdist

Joblo

Slashfilm

BirthMoviesDeath

Comicbook.com

Gamespot

Mashable

IGN

Den of Geek

Dialogue from the boat and london scenes (props to blastr.com)

Queen Hippolyta [Connie Nielsen] and Antiope [Robin Wright] look on from the coast of Themyscira as a boar departs its shores.

Antiope: Should you have told her?

Hippolyta: The more she knows, the sooner he'll find her.

It is nighttime, as Steve Trevor and Diana move about their boat on the way to London. They begin to bed down, with Steve awkwardly positioning himself against the side of the small sailboat.

Diana: How long until we reach the war?

Steve: War? Which part? The Eastern Front in France is 400 miles long from the Alps to the Atlantic.

Diana: Where the fighting is the most intense, then. If you take me there, I'm sure I'll find Ares.

Steve: Ares, as in the God of War?

Diana: The God of War is our responsibility. Only an Amazon can defeat him. With this [brandishes the Godkiller sword]. Once I do, the war will end.

Steve: [clears throat] Look, I appreciate your spirit. But this war is a great big mess. There is not a lot you or I can do about that. We can get back to London and try to get to the men who can.

Diana: I'm the man who can. And once I find and destroy Ares, the German armies will be freed from his influence. And they will be good men again, and the world will be better.

Steve: Great.

Diana: You'll see ... what are you doing?

Steve: Oh, I thought maybe you'd want to get some sleep.

Diana: What about you? Are you not sleeping? Does the average man not sleep?

Steve: No, no ... I ... Yes, we sleep. We just don't sleep with ...

Diana: You don't sleep with women?

Steve: No, I mean, I do sleep with women. I sleep with ... yes, I do. But out of the confines of marriage, it's just ... it's not polite to assume, you know?

Diana: Marriage?

Steve: Marriage. You don't have that? You go before a judge, and swear to love, honor, and cherish each other until death do you part?

Diana: And do they? Love each other until death?

Steve: Not very often, no.

Diana: Then why do they do it?

Steve: I ... have no idea.

Diana: So you cannot sleep with me unless we're married ...

Steve: [interjects] I, look, I will sleep with you, if you want. I will sleep with you.

Diana: [matter of factly] There's plenty of room.

Steve: Then, fine. If you don't mind ...

Diana: No ... it's up to you. It's just ...

Steve: All right, yeah, I'll make the choice, I'll come sleep with you.

Diana: OK.

Steve lays down next to Diana in on the deck of the boat and settles in, uncomfortably. Each of them shifts around, making room for one another.

Steve: Yeah. Okay ... You know, where I come from, I'm not ... considered average. You know? To be a spy, you have to show a certain, um, vigor. [sniffs deeply]. Have you never met a man before? What about your father?

Diana: I have no father. My mother sculpted me from clay, and I was brought to life by Zeus.

Steve: Well, that's neat.

Diana: [shifts around some more] Sorry.

Steve: Where I come from, babies are made differently.

Diana: You refer to reproductive biology.

Steve: Yes.

Diana: Yeah, I know. I know all about that.

Steve: I refer to that ... and other things.

Diana: The pleasures of the flesh?

Steve: Do you know about ... that?

Diana: I've read all 12 volumes of Cleo's treatises on pleasure.

Steve: All 12, huh?

Diana: Mm-hm.

Steve: Did you bring any of those with you?

Diana: You would not enjoy them.

Steve: I don't know ... maybe.

Diana: No, you wouldn't.

Steve: Why not?

Diana: They came to the conclusion that men are essential for procreation but, when it comes to pleasure [sigh] ... unnecessary.

Steve: No. No.

Diana: Good night.

Steve: Night.

Cut to the scene briefly summarized above with Ludendorff and Maru on the German base. Following that, we cut back to Steve and Diana. She is waking up in the boat, to find they are being towed into London.

Steve: Good morning. We got lucky, caught a ride. Made some good time. Welcome to jolly ol' London.

Diana: It's hideous.

Steve: Yeah, it's not for everybody.

Walking through the mud and grime of the London streets, Diana is cover in her cloak, gazing around at the new world of man. A car passes and honks. Men take note of Diana and make comments as Steve pulls her along.

Steve: [To the men] Keep your eyes to yourself, thank you so much. Come on.

Diana: [Diana takes note of a couple on the street, holding hands] Why are they holding hands?

Steve: Uh, probably because they're together.

Diana takes Steve's hand, and begins to walk.

Steve: No, no, no. We're not together, I mean, in that way. [Steve points Diana in a direction] This way.

Diana: To the war?

Steve: Technically the war is that way, but we have to go this way first.

Diana: And where are we going?

Steve: We've got to get this notebook to my superiors.

Diana: Hey, hey, hey, no, no, no. I let you go, you take me to Ares. We made a deal, Steve Trevor. And a deal is a promise. And a promise is unbreakable.

Steve: Oh, boy. Okay, all right. Will you come with me first, to deliver this? And then we'll get you, then I'll take you, uh, to the war. Deal?

Diana readies herself for battle, about to shed her cloak, which Steve promptly puts back on her

Diana: What are you doing?

Steve: You're not wearing any ... you're not wearing any clothes. Let's go, let's go buy you some clothes.

Diana: What do these women wear into battle?

Steve: They don't ... uh ...

A baby in the arms of a homeless woman begins to cry, and Diana takes notice, and runs to it.

Diana: A baby!

Steve: No, no, no, no babies. That one's not made out of clay. Come on. Diana, please.

A few interesting points:

Were there other genres or war films you were drawing upon?

Superman meets Casablanca came up a lot. And Indiana Jones. It was those three films. We are making a classic film. We care about humor, about epic, about heroism, about arc, and story. Make it elegant. Don't hold back. Try for that pocket all the time. Who is Steve Trevor? Indiana Jones or Rick from Casablanca meets Wonder Woman? I'm in for that story, and that's a great Steve Trevor. (From Blastr.com)

Can you talk a bit about the DC ”tone" and how Wonder Woman fits into that?

JENKINS: All I can say is that from my point of view, there is no mandate on tone that I experienced. So I think every filmmaker is making their own movie in the tone that they see right for that movie. So I have no pressure on me to not do the same. So I came in saying, ”Superman 1" and ”It's an origin story" and casting Chris, who I knew and was so funny, and all of these things. And they were seeing it shape up as what it shaped up as and supporting it. I think that will also be true with Aquaman and Flash all of those movies. I don't think there is one tone. I think maybe Christopher Nolan had a serious tone, and Zack [Snyder] has a different tone that is also serious in a different way. So I think it became a perception that there was one tone, but that's not what I had heard. I heard that there were these different superheroes and I was coming in to make one. And I was supported it making it the tone I wanted to make it. (From Collider)

Since Diana's fresh out of her home in the film, her Themysciran accent, as compared to what we heard in Batman v Superman, is much heavier. Gadot explained that Wonder Woman ”knows how to speak every language that we can think of." (From Nerdist)

I'M SO EXCITED SLNCSDAKCNDALKCNSLADSNA

raw

Ashhong

The positive reactions are nice, and Patty seems to really care about this character. I hope it translates to the screen in the entire movie

The Kree

Banned

Many people claimed Wonder Woman as the easy highlight of Batman V Superman. I actually agree, but only concede that agreement with the understanding that her superiority just illustrates how bad that movie was. She had a little life to her and a cool theme song, which automatically elevated her appearances. But she was also a blank nothing, the avatar of a recognizable superhero. She's the best part of that movie, but she'd be the worst part of a movie that was actually decent.

This is what I'm afraid is going to be the case with this movie - that it'll be mostly good, but she's going to drag it down.

This is what I'm afraid is going to be the case with this movie - that it'll be mostly good, but she's going to drag it down.

Reading blastr's footage breakdown, I don't think this will be the case at all.

But I guess we'll see come June. I really hope Gal wows us though.

Yager

Banned
Can't wait. Seems that both Patty and Gadot love the character, which is always a plus. My ass will be there day 1.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This will get a lot of use if the movie turns out good maybe even if it's bad.

It'll be perfect if we get another Suicide Squad situation and the movie makes bank despite the reviews saying it's dog shit. Someone could edit it to have money raining down

But I'm crossing my fingers and toes that this is a good movie and is extremely successful.

Litan

Sounds good. If the movie can hold on to the quality of the first 15 minutes or gets even better, we should have something good on our hands.

Veelk

Banned
Since Diana’s fresh out of her home in the film, her Themysciran accent, as compared to what we heard in Batman v Superman, is much heavier. Gadot explained that Wonder Woman “knows how to speak every language that we can think of.” (From Nerdist)

Now I'm not gonna be satisfied unless I see her speaking klingon.

Diana: I'm the man who can. And once I find and destroy Ares, the German armies will be freed from his influence. And they will be good men again, and the world will be better.
This is World War One, right? Seems a teensy bit jingoistic to go down this route. Would have been better to go with the Second World War if they wanted to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom