• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolf/Wolfdog Misrepresentation (big post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDR_11k

After the woodle I want to see a wolf-pug (wug?). The most fucked up breed crossed with a real wolf... Would probably make an equally stupid wog.

Jaeger

I've heard that wolves are not naturally black. Is it true that if you find a black furred wolf hunting in the wild it has dog ancestry somewhere? Or was my TV lying to me? :p

From what I understand it's a genetic mutation that originated from wild wolves that cross bred with dogs and then back to wolves.

I could have missed something while reading but wasn't it mentioned you can't do percentile of wolf yet you break it down in the end by percentage? I just assume the ~99% would be "f1" or am I out to lunch?

You can't call a specific animal's percentage. But you can place them in ranges based on how much Wolf is actually in them knowing their lineage. F1 doesn't always mean high-content Wolfdog either. If the sire is full dog and the dame full wolf than the offspring are mid-content wolfdogs. They are literally 50%.

EDIT - PSA "Loki the Wolfdog" who has been all the buzz for the past few weeks is not a Wolfdog. He looks to be 100% Malamute. The owner has been told this and refuses to move from his stance and continues to call Loki a low-content Wolfdog. He is doing major harm to the public as he spreads miseducation and he actually sells shirts profiting of it.

Knowing what you all know now, is Loki a Wolfdog or a Malamute? You be the judge.

Red Mage

I've only seen one real wolf-dog my entire life. Thing was huge and very shy.

On a related note, my brother did have a half-coyote/half-chow. My dad almost ran over it as it was running at the end of a small group that was crossing the road. Surprisingly, he was a very gentle thing, wouldn't even hurt baby rabbits (he'd chase them and then bring them to my brother, holding them by the scruff of the neck).

I hate when people insist that their dog is a 'wolf dog'.

No sir, your dog with that sickle tail is not 50% wolf.

From what I understand it's a genetic mutation that originated from wild wolves that cross bred with dogs and then back to wolves.

If a wolf is black then at some point in its family tree its ancestors mated with a dog and acquired the mutation that causes the black coat. It's most likely that humans were involved due to interests in hybridization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_wolf

Fliesen

Visually yes. Behaviorly no. D-Dog looks like a high-content fully grown. But he acts like a Dog with no Wolf in him at all. Lol

2935265-dog_knife_gs.jpg
i think that, given the chance, any wolf would grab a knife and slit some Soviet throats.

clicked the link, expecting some Neverending Story type scary wolf beast.

what i got was a bunch of really derpy pictures.

genjiZERO

Good post and educational. I find dog owners to be some of the worst pet owners out there. They either have no idea how much attention and physical space their dog needs and so their dogs often go neglected and under exercised. They also very often get a dog for no other reasons than they like what the breed looks like without consideration of temperament or health issues. When I was living in DC I was always disgusted by these people who would get these giant vanity dogs with no backyards for them to move about it. Luckily, I've never actually met anyone who was stupid enough to desire a part-wolf dog.

Legit.[...] barked all night [...]

Eh. Not going to go as far as to say it's untrue, but I'd seriously question if it was legit from this alone. Wolves do not communicate the same way as dogs. They do not bark all night. They do bark, but it's more rare than dogs, and usually reserved for chasing prey or when startled. At best it would be low content.

Jaeger

Here is some more info that can come in handy. Although it's harder to phenotype puppies, there are some general rules with mid to high-content wolf pups and full wolf pups. They are always born grey/brown (and black with black phases). From birth, their paws are black. There are no all white pups like these born. Even a wolf that in it's adult life is white started out grey/brown.

- Wolf pups eyes start blue but change color as they get older to yellow/almond/etc.

So as adorable as these are, they aren't wolfdogs (or at least, with any real mid or high content).

Also, wolves don't have those well defined face mask like mals and huskys do.

Clefargle

Very cool and interesting. Are there any other wild canine X Domestic dog crosses out there? Jackal, fox, or maybe African wild dog mixes?

A Czechoslovakian wolfdog is a domesticated dog right? They are about as close to wolf I'll probably get as a pet lol

I wanted a wolfdog once by figured if that happened I would have to live in the outskirts alone

Derp, dingos are wolves tho. Does interbreeding the with dogs ever occur?

Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interbreeding_of_dingoes_with_other_domestic_dogs

Some breeds are actually descendants of dingoes. Like the red aussie cattle dog.

AustrCattleDogRed_wb.jpg

A Czechoslovakian wolfdog is a domesticated dog right? They are about as close to wolf I'll probably get as a pet lol

I wanted a wolfdog once by figured if that happened I would have to live in the outskirts alone

They are originally product of hybridization between German Shepherd Dogs and wolves but then selective breeding was employed to breed out the more undesirable traits of their wolf heritage.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
great write up, I had a hybrid growing up and it was always an issue going to the vet lol.
reading this thread brought back up some old memories though :(

Stasis

Thanks for the super informative (and interesting!) detailed post. I've certainly encountered people claiming to have hybrids, especially up here in Quebec, and never knew the back story. I was always just kind of impressed/amazed, and now I'll know better. I'll also be able to pass the awareness on to anyone considering this type of animal. I'm fascinated by wolves in general.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I watched "the making of" The Thing a little while ago and the crew talked about the half-dog / half-wolf in the movie. They were creeped out by it because it rarely looked at the cast or camera and was always silent.

JCjeddog.jpg

Learned a lot from this thread. Went to check out a few videos on youtube and first comment on one was "I used to have a wolfdog *insert mix here* was the best dog I ever had. We got it's blood checked and it was 65% wolf and 35% *insert breed here*" Now that I'm armed with the knowledge, I know it's compete bullshit lol.

Jaeger

Very cool and interesting. Are there any other wild canine X Domestic dog crosses out there? Jackal, fox, or maybe African wild dog mixes?

Rare but there's Coydogs as mentioned above.

Derp, dingos are wolves tho. Does interbreeding the with dogs ever occur?

Actually some people keep Dingos as pets. If you get them early enough they make fine pets. Also Dingos are a type of wild dog. They are not wolves.

Yea they are a domesticated breed. Same for the Sarloos and theres at least one other I know of.

Quick question. Is it possible to have a dog that looks strikingly similar to a wolf? Is there any breeds like that?

Check out;

American Alsation and the Tamaskan Dog. You can tell they are not wolves but they do have "wolfy" features.

Thanks for the super informative (and interesting!) detailed post. I've certainly encountered people claiming to have hybrids, especially up here in Quebec, and never knew the back story. I was always just kind of impressed/amazed, and now I'll know better. I'll also be able to pass the awareness on to anyone considering this type of animal. I'm fascinated by wolves in general.

Glad I can help! Spreading correct information is the goal.

Learned a lot from this thread. Went to check out a few videos on youtube and first comment on one was "I used to have a wolfdog *insert mix here* was the best dog I ever had. We got it's blood checked and it was 65% wolf and 35% *insert breed here*" Now that I'm armed with the knowledge, I know it's compete bullshit lol.

There's so much incorrect info out there. It's frustrating at times.

Stet

Banned
I don't know why people with Nordic dogs think a wolf-dog is more interesting. I love having a spitz.

Jaeger

I don't know why people with Nordic dogs think a wolf-dog is more interesting. I love having a spitz.

I agree completely. Nordic dogs are beautiful and have a strong type of "nobility" about them. Strong working breeds from harsh environments. Their worth writes itself.

It's like lying about anything else which is usually from a lack of confidence in said thing.

Kwixotik

So D-Dog really is a dog? Huey was wrong after all

I really want a sort of wolf later on in life, but it's a shame they're shy and hate everything else. Maybe I'll look for a wolf dog @_@
I think you missed the point of the thread.

Great thread btw, OP. Very informative.

charsace

IvbJBts.jpg

now I really want a pitbull wolf.

gonna need a serious dogwalker though.

Why would you want one? Why would anyone want one?

Dogs are wolves with the devious nature that is dangerous to humans bred out of them. Mixing wolves with dogs just re-introduces traits that are dangerous to people.

Jaeger

Dogs are wolves with the devious nature that is dangerous to humans bred out of them. Mixing wolves with dogs just re-introduces traits that are dangerous to people.

It's actually not that cut and dry, and depends on the content [of Wolf] a dog may have and his upbringing, and a number of other variables. In fact, any dog of medium to large size can be dangerous with some of those factors considered.

Ok, so what's this guy?

QOYZlCw.jpg

uPbhshP.jpg

uCUFeGT.jpg

tfdCSIC.jpg

I see strong dog traits. Pink nose, large pointed ears. Fur texture and coloring. That's a dog with no-content based on those photos.

Yrael

Great read. I know relatively little about dogs compared to cats, so this was very informative. I'll have this in the back of my mind next time I see a post or article about Loki the "wolf dog."

Jaeger

Great read. I know relatively little about dogs compared to cats, so this was very informative. I'll have this in the back of my mind next time I see a post or article about Loki the "wolf dog."

That dude is a major problem. His outright denial and neglect to change the name on his ever growing popularity on the web (because the images are very well taken) is literally putting other dog's lives in danger.

https://www.facebook.com/viks.pix.1/posts/1629886713957413
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1629886183957466&set=pcb.1629886713957413&type=3

The dog above was put to death because some neighbor called him a wolfdog. Despite expert testimony he was not correctly identified and put to death. All because a group of assholes are blind and can't tell the differences between a wolf/wolfdog and a dog. And if they get their info from people like Loki's owner, he get's widespread social media attention..... you get the picture.

KC Denton

"Devious" is a very strong word to use. Like, I'd be more likely to use that to describe a serial killer more than I would ever use that to describe an animal.

I understand that wolves (and wild animals in general) obviously do not make good pets, but using such loaded and demonizing language to describe them kind of pisses me off.

Jaeger

An update on this Collie/Wolf mix. She was adopted a while ago and is doing just fine in his new home. And he's a mid-content wolfdog. Under all that long fur his frame is all wolf, and you can clearly see his strong wolf genetics (especially in the snout and the banded fur). Her name is Waya.

Reminds me of the DD is a dog argument on Mother Base.

Is there a video of this from the game? I either missed it or have yet to get there in my playthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom