• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witch on the Holy Night coming to Steam December 14th, 2023 | Already available on PS4 and Switch

killatopak

This is abouy Shiki's master right? If it is, then great. Something to tide me over until the English translation of Tsukihime next year.

ss_b2092cf73bb185ce94d08ac375a6bb97521421b3.1920x1080.jpg

The hell is going on here?

The reception on Steam has been great so far (nearly 700 steam reviews currently, 98% of them being positive).

HbyTifG.png
That's because Mahoyo is a great story, it has great music and voice acting, and the VN is one of the most technically impressive and animated VN's I've ever read. People expect VN's to be static images and text but Mahoyo has enough animation that sometimes I feel like the upcoming anime will find it difficult to improve on it. It's also not ponderously long and drawn out, clocking in at 20-30 hours depending on how fast you read. It's not an exaggeration to say that FGO LB6 is actually longer than Mahoyo.

On a technical level, Mahoyo is quite a bit better than Tsukihime Remake and that is saying a lot. TsukiRe is of course a much longer VN, and necessarily can't be nearly as animated, but even so Mahoyo just feels like a much more polished audiovisual experience.

Deerock71

I must be a nerd, because I can hear the 'Ani-PLEX' jingle when I saw the producer.*

*and immediately started downloading the demo.

cireza

They just released the second trailer for the animated movie and it looks like it's coming along nicely. :)
Yeah, I saw this, thanks for notifying me.

I have started watching Kara no Kyoukai again because of this haha. I love this series of movies so much, I consider it ufotable's masterpiece. Feels much more mature than Fate as well, which helps.

That studio is so good, they always hit hard in terms of feelings/emotions. I can't stand seeing their talent stuck on a shonen while the first route of Fate and Tsukihime both need new adaptations.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This series looks... complex. Is this a good starting point? Or should I be looking at a different game?

Paltheos

This series looks... complex. Is this a good starting point? Or should I be looking at a different game?

I don't know if you ever had your question answered, but I'll provide one now. As someone about halfway through it, I can advise that it's safe to just jump in. This isn't as messy as Fate. Everything's presented as if you're new to the nasuverse, and I haven't seen anything yet that requires or benefits from prior knowledge (other than, like, the existence of one of the main characters in this story in another nasu story, but that connection hasn't played a part at all).

Also, I'm not the biggest visual novel guy - my last one was actually Fate/stay night a few years ago - but the production values in this are far above anything I've ever seen in other VNs. Localization could have used one more editing pass to clean up typos, but I'm satisfied with how the English script reads too.

Top Bottom