• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Microsoft and Xbox announced 'Marvel's Blade' at The Game Awards — but could it also be coming to PlayStation?

Godot25

Banned
I wonder if this announcement means that Arkane Austin is working on Dishonored 3.

the-ftc-has-leaked-the-planned-upcoming-bethesda-slate-from-v0-36qok7dxa5pb1.png

Bethesda FTC leak had Dishonored 3 as a planned game and everybody assumed that it is the next project for Arkane Lyon after Deathloop. But since Arkane Lyon is making Blade (in document probably mentioned as Licensed IP), does it mean that Dishonored fell into Arkane Austin hands? Or Bethesda cancelled their plans for third game after they secured Blade?

cireza

Literally the first quoted post is in a thread about first party exclusives.

Nice try though. Some consistency would be nice, but that was always going to be too much to ask considering your mindset.
And at what time did I say that exclusives were good already ? Oh right never.

It is in MS best interest to have exclusive games. Doesn't change the fact that 99% of first party exclusives don't interest me in the slightest.

Your post reeks of desperation. Get some fresh air.

GHG

exclusives suck*

*only if they don’t come to Xbox

Basically, but only because he's clearly been suffering internally for a while on this subject.

On the other hand most rational people don't have a problem with exclusivity in this industry and can see/understand the benefits.

I'm glad the game awards were what they were last night in terms of the Microsoft announcements. Not only did they announce some interesting things (for me personally) for once, but it's also made it difficult for their minions to stay on script given the type of content and the way some of it has been announced.

Episode 8 Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

Last edited:

Dis

Its coming to Playstation to create a legal loophole.

Wasnt FTC saying something about exclusivity?

Ar¢tos

Aren't you a genius ?

Every single quote you made by scanning my post history is about Third Party publishers/developers.

Can you remind me when Microsoft and Arkane have become third party developers already ?

Of course you want to imply that I was talking for first party developers (which is entirely wrong of course, but with the narrative you are constantly pushing, a couple lies are always welcome), in which case we are still waiting for Spiderman to be released on Xbox. Because the same would apply to Sony, obviously.
Sony develops MLB for Xbox and MS develops Minecraft for Playstation.
So those things have already happened...

jm89

Yeah disney ain't giving them the bigger franchises for marvel, heck they maybe regretting indiana jones going exclusive with xbox sales tanking.

Game will be stuck on a dying platform and don't have any developers who have proven to make that type of game.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wait what’s all this nonsense about reasons why it will be multiplat?

It’s Blade. A C Lister, you guys think Marvel gives a fuck if it’s Xbox exclusive? What the hell am I reading in this thread…

This hurts teenage me that loved Blade 1 & 2 and cant wait for the new movie....as I'm a big fan of Mahershala Ali. :/

Thirty7ven

Banned
This hurts teenage me that loved Blade 1 & 2 and cant wait for the new movie....as I'm a big fan of Mahershala Ali. :/

I love Blade and thought it was a cool announcement. Paris is odd af let’s be real, like, really? Do they know people talk French in Paris? Just kidding

But let’s be honest, only time Blade was anything was with Wesley Snipes and it wasn’t exactly big.

All rhetoric around this being an answer to the A listers just comes off as dumb that’s all.

And of course it will be exclusive come on.

cireza

Sony develops MLB for Xbox and MS develops Minecraft for Playstation.
So those things have already happened...
First party developers releasing exclusively for their platform is common sense. The goal is to expand their market share. A couple games are the exception, why not. Still doesn't make it the most obvious choice.

Third parties making exclusives is stupid. Why ? Because they expand their market by releasing on as many platforms as possible, which goes directly against this. Entirely different situation.

GHG

And at what time did I say that exclusives were good already ? Oh right never.

It is in MS best interest to have exclusive games. Doesn't change the fact that 99% of first party exclusives don't interest me in the slightest.

Your post reeks of desperation. Get some fresh air.

Well based on your first post in this thread it seems like you'd have no issue with this game being exclusive. That's unfortunate given your previous stance and bitterness towards exclusives.

And don't worry, I love the smell of some fresh new exclusive games. Plenty of fresh air to go around.

First party developers releasing exclusively for their platform is common sense. The goal is to expand their market share. A couple games are the exception, why not. Still doesn't make it the most obvious choice.

Third parties making exclusives is stupid. Why ? Because they expand their market by releasing on as many platforms as possible, which goes directly against this. Entirely different situation.

So in summary:

Friday Movie GIF

Third party publishers and developers expand by making money and high quality products. Sometimes exclusive partnerships help them towards that goal. It's not difficult to understand.

Last edited:

Astray

Because the game is 5+ years away? At this point it is a question if it comes out at all.

Trying to manufacture the FUD won't work - we saw Indiana Jones announcement and the platforms were leaked during FTC hearing so...The early announcement is probably due to Disney/Marvel, considering the relative dire situation the Disney is now.
"manufacture the FUD"? wtf does that even mean? Why isn't this game marketed for Xbox then? The Indiana Jones announcement actually supports my theory, which is that the platforms aren't locked down yet, there's a possibility that this will see a multi-platform release if Disney and MS don't agree on a deal.

And if you believe that a Blade game is somehow gonna save Disney/Marvel then I have a bridge to sell you. And this is coming from a huge, huge fan of the 1st two Blade movies who would likely get this day 1 on whatever platform I have that runs it.

Ar¢tos

It's not stupid, it depends on maximum possible profit per platform. If the install base is too small, doesn't make sense to waste money and resources making a version (or 2 in the case of Series S and X) for it, since the profit won't be much, which is probably the reason why Square only releases the smaller games on Xbox, but in this case we aren't talking about a 3rd party, but a licensed IP and the license holder always wants to maximise profits and IP visibility and licensing an IP to be exclusive to the platform in 3rd place doesn't make financial sense.

Roberts

tbh, I don't really care if it is exclusive or not. Despite my superhero fatigue I have a soft spot for the first Blade movie and want this to be good, but I kind of worry that Marvel will have too much say during its development process and pretty much all of their creative choices have been shit lately.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I love Blade and thought it was a cool announcement. Paris is odd af let’s be real, like, really? Do they know people talk French in Paris? Just kidding

But let’s be honest, only time Blade was anything was with Wesley Snipes and it wasn’t exactly big.

All rhetoric around this being an answer to the A listers just comes off as dumb that’s all.

And of course it will be exclusive come on.

Oh, I completely agree. No one should be hyping this to the level of a spider man or Wolverine, but hopefully it turns out to be great and the fact that its not one of those huge A list super heroes will give Arkane the flexibility and green light from Marvel to make something WILD and not "safe", so to speak!

Last edited:

GeoramA

Who even asked for a Blade game? It's not a massive Marvel property like Spider-Man and Wolverine.

A new Deadpool, Fantastic Four, or Doctor Strange game would have been more interesting.

Ar¢tos

Who even asked for a Blade game? It's not a massive Marvel property like Spider-Man and Wolverine.

A new Deadpool, Fantastic Four, or Doctor Strange game would have been more interesting.
Probably because of the new incoming movie reboot/remake.

DavidGzz

This will probably be a next Gen game. MS will play it by ear. Could be on PS6 Game Pass if Xbox is no more. 😉

RickMasters

If Marvrl wants actual sales than meaningless engaged players, they will put it on Playstation.

Unless MS gives them "blillions of reasons" not to, of course
Billions? Doubt it would be that high. Couple hundred mill? Sure….. and that’s nothing new to MS. They just bought a company for 70 bn right after buying one for 7Bn. So I don’t think buying the exclusive rights is out of their price range. Also given that Sony already have two exclusive marvel games in alderman and wolverine…. I see no reason why it can’t be an Xbox exclusive. Money talks and games don’t make billions unless they are gaas, so your estimate on the cost of exclusivity is off. Right now Disney are making movies that Cost hundreds of millions to make and don’t. Even make them a profit. Don’t overstate disneys worth right now.

Personally I think it will be exclusive and MS are just letting people talk it up. They should just clear this up fast.

The issue with licensed IP is that Sony can guarantee a large userbase whereas Xbox cannot and even if they could, the game would skip a massive userbase in the PS5.

I fully expect it to be exclusive, but it is odd it wasn't mentioned.

cireza

Well based on your first post in this thread it seems like you'd have no issue with this game being exclusive. That's unfortunate given your previous stance and bitterness towards exclusives.
My previous stance is exactly the same as my current stance. I have close to 0 interest in first party exclusives period, and this game is no exception. Making the game exclusive would probably be in MS best interest.

How difficult is it for you to understand this ? Where is the incompatibility already ?

Poor job from your part honestly and good demonstration of how you proceed by taking old posts and showing them entirely out of context.

Last edited:
"manufacture the FUD"? wtf does that even mean? Why isn't this game marketed for Xbox then? The Indiana Jones announcement actually supports my theory, which is that the platforms aren't locked down yet, there's a possibility that this will see a multi-platform release if Disney and MS don't agree on a deal.
We know that Indie is exclusive as it was leaked during the hearing and it was clearly mentioned that Microsoft went and renegotiated the deal. Considering how FTC is clinging to the Bethesda deal, them not announcing the platforms for the game that has just started the development is fine as during the next hearing FTC will use the game in the court.

And if you believe that a Blade game is somehow gonna save Disney/Marvel then I have a bridge to sell you
It is not about saving, it about Disney demonstrating to shareholders that they make deals with third parties - especially now that the movie itself is in a production hell.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Lots of speculation, here is some more.

I think the reality is it is exclusive and like the OP mentions, they don't want to trigger FTC any more than necessary.
THIS.

If anyone has followed the last meeting against the FTC in the 9th court, you would have seen how all their arguments about the potential future damage to competition (and PS in particular) were limited to: "MS has made all Bethasda games exclusive" and also mentioning Indiana Jones....

Imagine MS announcing a project of this size in the middle of the 9th Court's deliberations giving the FTC precisely what it needs... Wath do you Konow precisely the reason that ABK games are not yet in Gamepass??.

Things we have:

- Indiana Jones in his advertisement generated the same doubts. As of today, the game does not have an officially confirmed platform...... but behind the scenes, and thanks to the lawsuits against the FTC we know that the game is exclusive. Even that MS agreed on that exclusivity compared to the original multiplatformity.

-The game is years away from being released. There is plenty of time to determine what to do (with Indiana was decided doing it exclusive).... Exactly the same with TES VI. Who knows if they could even be launch games for XBOXNEXT.

-We are talking about the Blade license. Marvel/Disney's main objective is the revaluation of the license and that it is in the best possible condition. MS money+A competent Studio+AAA treatment and a sufficient user base (PC+XBOX+Cloud servicesUBIsoft etc...). That's all you need. MS?? Right now I just need to let people know that Blade AAA by Arkane is coming out on Xbox.

Last edited:

GHG

My previous stance is exactly the same as my current stance. I have close to 0 interest in first party exclusives period, and this game is no exception. Making the game exclusive would probably be in MS best interest.

How difficult is it for you to understand this ? Where is the incompatibility already ?

Poor job from your part honestly and good demonstration of how you proceed by taking old posts and showing them entirely out of context.

So you don't like exclusives, but in this case you have no issue with it being exlusive? In fact, you seem to be advocating for it being exclusive. "Zero interest in first party exclusives", but again your advocating for this becoming exactly that. If you have this ridiculous personal stance against exclusives then how does that benefit you?

And unfortunately for you, nothing is "out of context" all of the linked quotes can be traced right back to source so that people can see the topics upon which they were posted in.

Last edited:

DrFigs

THIS.

If anyone has followed the last meeting against the FTC in the 9th court, you would have seen how all their arguments about the potential future damage to competition (and PS in particular) were limited to: "MS has made all Bethasda games exclusive" and also mentioning Indiana Jones....

Imagine MS announcing a project of this size in the middle of the 9th Court's deliberations giving the FTC precisely what it needs... Wath do you Konow precisely the reason that ABK games are not yet in Gamepass??.

Things we have:

- Indiana Jones in his advertisement generated the same doubts. As of today, the game does not have an officially confirmed platform...... but behind the scenes, and thanks to the lawsuits against the FTC we know that the game is exclusive. Even that MS agreed on that exclusivity compared to the original multiplatformity.

-The game is years away from being released. There is plenty of time to determine what to do (with Indiana was decided doing it exclusive).... Exactly the same with TES VI. Who knows if they could even be launch games for XBOXNEXT.

-We are talking about the Blade license. Marvel/Disney's main objective is the revaluation of the license and that it is in the best possible condition. MS money+A competent Studio+AAA treatment and a sufficient user base (PC+XBOX+Cloud servicesUBIsoft etc...). That's all you need. MS?? Right now I just need to let people know that Blade AAA by Arkane is coming out on Xbox.
i'm pretty sure they'll just say that they haven't decided what platforms it would be on yet, since the game may not even come out for this generation of consoles if development just started.

Last edited:

RickMasters

The issue with licensed IP is that Sony can guarantee a large userbase whereas Xbox cannot and even if they could, the game would skip a massive userbase in the PS5.

I fully expect it to be exclusive, but it is odd it wasn't mentioned.

And yet that didn’t stop the Indians jones deal from taking place. Money talks. And MS have plenty of that to make the moves they need to make. Just because sony have a larger console install base does not MS are supposed to just roll out a red carpet and put everything on a competing device. Some of the takes I been seeing, in this thread are nuts.

Probably because of the new incoming movie reboot/remake.
I kinda don't get why they are doing that these considering that the games are rarely released at the same time as movies - in the past I recall there was a game with almost every movie (due to dev time).

Blade is a really cool character. Shame that Snipes is not voicing though.

And yet that didn’t stop the Indians jones deal from taking place. Money talks. And MS have plenty of that to make the moves they need to make. Just because sony have a larger console install base does not MS are supposed to just roll out a red carpet and put everything on a competing device. Some of the takes I been seeing, in this thread are nuts.

It comes down to what the IP holder wants.

Indiana Jones is a diminished IP compared to Spiderman, Wolverine and Star Wars and Blade isn't as big.

All depends what Disney want.

“controversy”

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

None of their games are exclusive. The game is years away, 2025 at the earliest most likely. Way too early to care about any of this, if there’s ever a time to care. Is the game good? That’s all that will matter.

Thirty7ven

Banned
EA has Black Panther, Iron Man, and Captain America. Meaning, they're doomed.

Yeah and it was announced this year and an arkane dev has said he has “put love” into this Blade game for a year now. Which leads me to believe all these rights were negotiated in 2022.

EA has done wonders with Star Wars btw, Jedi Survivor was awesome.

Last edited:

Red5

The no exclusivity deal only involves Call Of Duty. Legally speaking MS is only obligated to make sure COD stays third party.

I don't see any financial reason for Blade or Indiana Jones to come to PS, MS has enough money to burn and attract more customers to their ecosystem with exclusives.

cireza

So you don't like exclusives, but in this case you have no issue with it being exlusive? In fact, you seem to be advocating for it being exclusive. "Zero interest in first party exclusives", but again your advocating for this becoming exactly that. If you have this ridiculous personal stance against exclusives then how does that benefit you?
It doesn't benefit me. This never was a personal statement. I can objectively see when something is good for a company even if is bad or of no interest for me... Do you have difficulties doing this ? Try to be a bit less self-centered maybe ?

It is not my fault is 99% of the time console manufacturers invest in first party games that do not grasp my attention.

And unfortunately for you, nothing is "out of context" all of the linked quotes can be traced right back to source so that people can see the topics upon which they were posted in.
Of course. And it won't be difficult for people to see that you put these quotes out of context when doing so. All these quotes are about personal point of views, and totally unrelated to what would be objectively the best for MS.

Astray

We know that Indie is exclusive as it was leaked during the hearing and it was clearly mentioned that Microsoft went and renegotiated the deal. Considering how FTC is clinging to the Bethesda deal, them not announcing the platforms for the game that has just started the development is fine as during the next hearing FTC will use the game in the court.
All the talk about this being FTC-influenced is deeply uninformed, the FTC is appealing Corley's decision, meaning that anything that wasn't used as evidence in that court decision is out of the appeal court's evidentiary hearings (because the appeals court can't call Corley's decision as a wrong one if they have access to evidence she didn't see).

Also if the FTC somehow manages to eke out a win in appeals (fat chance given that they already closed the deal and Activision got the bag), Blade being an exclusive won't really matter much either because however they can use it being exclusive as evidence, it won't really move the court needle more than Indiana Jones already did.

It is not about saving, it about Disney demonstrating to shareholders that they make deals with third parties - especially now that the movie itself is in a production hell.
The movie is now back on track btw:

I don't see any financial reason for Blade or Indiana Jones to come to PS, MS has enough money to burn and attract more customers to their ecosystem with exclusives.
The question is how long they're willing to keep burning money, we don't live in a %0 interest rate world anymore, cash has a cost nowadays and Microsoft has a new and more exciting AI frontier to invest its future monies in.

Red5

The question is how long they're willing to keep burning money, we don't live in a %0 interest rate world anymore, cash has a cost nowadays and Microsoft has a new and more exciting AI frontier to invest its future monies in.

They have a 2.3 Trillion $$ Market cap, second only to Apple worldwide, Xbox and GamePass is a footnote in their budget.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The game is Xbox and PC only. There is no Playstation version as Xbox are spending the duckets developing it. No rational person would think otherwise.

I would have chosen a more established Superhero if I was Xbox and would have a more experienced team with third person games for this (Arkane are known for first person games). Blade is a great character but I wouldn't be shocked if people who saw the original movie didn’t realise it was based on a comic. However, while it is disappointing there is no Dishonored 3, I hope it works out for Arkane.

cireza

Ah so that's what makes you want it to be exclusive in this case?

Glad we got there in the end.

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+
I don't want anything. Can't stop interpreting things, can you ? Game can be exclusive or not, I have zero interest in this game.

I am just stating that it would most probably be beneficial to MS to make it exclusive, whether I have interest in the game or not is irrelevant.

This is proving to be difficult, but you will eventually get it. I believe in you !

Last edited:
Top Bottom