• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we see another video game crash?

SHA

Genzers don't make friends, don't worry about it, the solitude level from these people are off the charts.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Not for gaming specifically. The impact AI revolution will have on society as a whole OTOH will be something else..

Last edited:

nush

Maybe if gaming sales keep zooming up the charts instead of leveling or dropping a bit the past two years perhaps it'd work out for some companies. But they bet the farm, that bar chart trajectory would keep going up like a Nasdaq stock on fire which if you extrapolate the performance with a dotted line for the next 10 years, the stock price is on trend to reach $1,000 if it keeps going.
disco-stu-disco-projections.gif

But for the games industry.

Well I sure hope so.

Good quality games are now exception instead of rule.

GaaS needs to die. MTX needs to be regulated.

Let it crash. Maybe its the only way to show cashgrabbing shareholders that listening to your target audience is better then ignoring them.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lay offs are across the board for the tech industry. Everyone bought a lot of stuff during the pandemic, but last year people wanted to travel and get outside more. So after the fiscal year a lot of companies had major layoffs.

StueyDuck

A gaming crash overall? No

a crash in the west? most likely, but it won't effect consumers. Many of these studios are going to bomb out however, there is too much going into gaming that isn't just developing a game, yes i do mean the political ideologies but also more than just that, there's too much external interference, trying to kowtow to anyone who cries, budgets are needlessly inflated because of where these studios are located, teams have needlessly inflated yet scopes have seriously narrowed and thinned to a point where every game is basically the same thing now.

so long story short, I think we are going to see a massive decline in Western Studios and content (maybe for the best) unless they are able to get their shit straight. Which it doesn't look like they will.

there's too many smaller games, AA or indie that are eating these studios lunch and you can't just rely on Marvel/Disney IPs for ever.

I forsee a boom coming from European devs and as always Japenese devs will keep doing what they are doing.

Last edited:
No crash but it will have to adapt to having a certain number of service games that are very difficult to dislodge and other games that are smartly budgeted.

A lot depends on what the younger generations pick up as they get older, will they see value in single player and story. Much more than ever I'd say younger games value the social aspect, the first group to grow up in a very matured/established social media environment.

I think AAA studios are in trouble mostly. They seem to be allocating huge budgets to games and not always making the return they had hoped or have their expectations out of whack.

Top Bottom