• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever again get games like The Last Guardian?

JeloSWE

I thought it was terrible, thin gameplay concepts and really bad controls. Trico was a great achievement though.

Sooo, games that are awful to play?

That’s like saying incredible movies that are awful to watch…
Not what I meant, many games are almost exclusively about game play and good controls sure, but there are many games where story and worldbuilding is the major part, unfortunately in Ueda's games, gameplay-controls and frame rates take a too big of a backseat. If the performance matched the art and worldbuilding they would be 10/10 for me but now they are sullied by unnecessary frustration with controls and performance.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just be thankful you got one last guardian 🥲♥️. This reminds me I need to replay this on my Qd OLED 😀. I have the disc somewhere which plays at 60fps unpatched. Did they ever add 60fps back into the digital version as I have that as well?
Unpatched got no hdr and crashes. Don’t bother

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Not what I meant, many games are almost exclusively about game play and good controls sure, but there are many games where story and worldbuilding is the major part, unfortunately in Ueda's games, gameplay-controls and frame rates take a too big of a backseat. If the performance matched the art and worldbuilding they would be 10/10 for me but now they are sullied by unnecessary frustration with controls and performance.
SOTC and TLG remasters play perfectly performance wise.

0neAnd0nly

The Last Guardian is my GOTG for PS4. One of, if not the most, emotional game I have ever played. It was a game that took you to a place, the stereotypical line about art “transporting” you there - except for this game, it really, really did.

To see the few people bad mouth it that only gave it an hour or less… yeah. Japanese games notoriously have slow build up, this one is no different. It’s a shame you didn’t stick around a bit longer, it’s pacing is well done and unless you are soulless, the game hits you in many, many ways.

When Sony closed Japan Studio, this was my first thought too. This kind of stuff is largely over, and man did that hurt.

My memories of this game are even fonder, as this game my mom actually came to watch me play it every time. We had a schedule. Yes I was an adult, and yep - I am (and was) married at the time, but it was just something special my mom and I shared and bonded over - this game. My mom passed this year, and every time I think of TLG I think of her too, which makes my love for the game even more.

Truly, if you haven’t played it and are in this thread - do so. It isn’t a game for everybody, for sure. But if it connects with you in the first 2-3 hours… you are in for a unique and truly magical ride.

<<< and I say this as someone who doesn’t play a lot of J games these days. My game plays these last few years have been; CarX, HL, Fall Guys, the Finals, CoD, Gigabash. I mention this because I am hella varied in my gaming, and it’s still THAT game for me.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

SOTC and TLG remasters play perfectly performance wise.
SOTC was remade by Bluepoint which also did an amazing job with Demon's Souls, both in visuals and performance, so Ueada can not take any credit for that.
TLG have not had a remaster, it's just that it can be played at 60fps on the PS5 which is nice, but only if you play the unpatched disc version but then you'll miss out on HDR and get hard stuck and have even worse controlling character than after the patches. So in the end you have to install and uninstall the game multiple times or settle for 30 fps which is a crime.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Unpatched got no hdr and crashes. Don’t bother
Good point. I'll probably play patched 30fps with HDR. I'll use Samsung game motion plus which smooths out 30fps, it worked pretty well on FF16. Doesn't look like 60fps but it does smooth out the judder.

buenoblue

Let's do this 🥲
AkC4At4.jpg

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
lmao. Did you start playing it from the beginning again? Or just at the section you where you left off?

Oh from the beginning absolutely. Ive never kept an active save alive since I always stop within an hour or so.

Im such a bitch fr but fuck it dude. Its too much like my cat. I cant do it lol

Top Bottom