• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WIll Smith Game 'Undawn' is a massive flop

Draugoth

Gold Member
Nem-mesmo-Will-Smith-conseguiu-salvar-Undawn-do-fracasso-afirma-Reuters-912x569.jpg

Featuring Will Smith in its commercials and storyline and with a budget of US$140 million, an impressive figure for a mobile game, Undawn turned out to be a huge flop. According to Reuters, the zombie shooter failed to make a splash even in China, a market in which producer Tencent usually does very well.

Consulting research firm Appmagic, the outlet claims that since its debut in mid-2023, the title has only made US$287,000 in revenue. This means that, in eight months of operation, it hasn't even recovered 1% of the large investments that went into its creation.

Source

Madflavor

Nem-mesmo-Will-Smith-conseguiu-salvar-Undawn-do-fracasso-afirma-Reuters-912x569.jpg

Featuring Will Smith in its commercials and storyline and with a budget of US$140 million, an impressive figure for a mobile game, Undawn turned out to be a huge flop. According to Reuters, the zombie shooter failed to make a splash even in China, a market in which producer Tencent usually does very well.

Consulting research firm Appmagic, the outlet claims that since its debut in mid-2023, the title has only made US$287,000 in revenue. This means that, in eight months of operation, it hasn't even recovered 1% of the large investments that went into its creation.

Source

Keep Will Smith's game out YOUR FUCKNG MOUTH!

can't believe this even exists lol. they should've made a fresh prince sim instead where you play bball, slap people and troll carlton

LordBritish

Should of never released it so they could of written it off like Hollywood is doing for movies these days... dont release great movies, write them off

Jsisto

Aside from it probably just being a bad game in general, if you released a game in 2023 and thought Will Smith would be good for marketing…..I just don’t know what to tell ya. You shouldn’t be making business decisions.

RickSanchez

if you released a game in 2023 and thought Will Smith would be good for marketing…..I just don’t know what to tell ya
It is sad. The man was a worldwide rising star in the late 90s and early 2000s. And he had the acting talent to backup his hype. And as far as i know, instead of just being able to fade quietly into retirement, it is his family relationships which spoiled his public image (talentless son, cheating wife, etc). Just sad. He was so good in Fresh Prince, MIB, Bad Boys, etc

Last edited:

RickSanchez

This video from dunkey is a good laugh lol

It is hilarious that most of Will's voice lines are voiced by someone else. And for most of it, his face isn't animated and his lips don't move. It's like they knowingly made a parody. Or, more likely, as i said in an earlier comment, a vehicle for laundering money.

Last edited:

Filben

I always wonder with these games how someone (director, team lead or investor or someelse coordinating shit or giving money) playtest or watch this and says "This is good, people. Keep up the good work."

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Never heard of it.

Edit: Lol. That budget clearly didn't go towards actually making the game. Seems like it didn't go towards getting any actual lines or acting out of Will either, so just his likeness I guess? Money well spent.

Last edited:

TVexperto

Im all up for laughing about will smith but this is not really his game, he was paid to star in commercials thats it. he had nothing to do with the development nor was he a producer.
its like saying "kevin spaceys call of duty failed"

mdkirby

Budget $150 mil.
Will smiths wage for it $149 mil

How to make a shit ton of money vanish in the blink of an eye.

Mokus

It is sad. The man was a worldwide rising star in the late 90s and early 2000s. And he had the acting talent to backup his hype. And as far as i know, instead of just being able to fade quietly into retirement, it is his family relationships which spoiled his public image (talentless son, cheating wife, etc). Just sad. He was so good in Fresh Prince, MIB, Bad Boys, etc
Not mention he was widely loved and/or respected by most people wether they liked or not his work. Not many international Hollywood stars (or singers) could have claimed his level of acknowledgement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom