• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the Premature and Suddenly Push for 120fps?

ZywyPL

Banned
It's optional, so why not? Especially when it's just a matter of lowering the resolution in most of the cases, while many games already have hard times hitting 4K, so why not go for something more impactful and actually achievable. Although I don't expect 120FPS modes to be very common, especially once cross-gen period is over. Also, the addition of VRR makes targeting higher then 30/60 FPS much more reasonable.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am all for 4k and best aa and graphics. 4k60 is perfection but 30 can be fine if worth it too. I've had 240hz and 144hz but 27"4k ips monitor fits my single player needs best and my fav games look better and are often locked to 60 anyway(souls anyone). It also has freesync so locking to 58fps it's super low lag and smooth.
For my taste, even bloodborne ran fine but the extreme jaggines was always distracting but fps I can get used to.

Also, when I had 240hz, 60fps looked like stop motion shit. It's all in the brain. Play for few hours to readjust or lock to like 20fps, play for 10 minutes, unlock to 60 and it's butter, brain and money fixed :p

Last edited:

GametimeUK

The fact is while the consoles can output at 120Hz they are too weak to even run 4k games at 60fps so why push that framerate that will basically just destroy your visual output?

Why push a visual output that just destroys performance?

At the end of the day you shouldn't be upset that we are having different performance modes. It's not detracting from anything, these settings can be easily tweaked to suit different performance / visual levels. I do it on my PC all the time depending on what I want out of the game. Games do not have to be optimised for 1 specific setting.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How in the world is 4K premature? Getting a 4K TV is the single biggest leap I've experienced in visuals since I first booted up my Xbox 360 to my brand new HD ready TV back in the day.
Lol I was downsampling from 4knto 1080p in 2011 or 2012... Now I do over 100 fps in any game at 4k... Granted it's 3080 but we are here for some time now.

Three

Why devs are doing that?

The announce the specs of the game on the new consoles and says "there is a performance mode that will run at 700p @ 120fps" or "you can play the game at 120fps in 1080p" etc etc etc.

More and more games are having these options in all new consoles.

The fact is while the consoles can output at 120Hz they are too weak to even run 4k games at 60fps so why push that framerate that will basically just destroy your visual output?

I can't understand that new push for something that is not needed and actually way premature for the hardware we have in this new generation... I should prefer the devs to work in one single profile optimization for games in each platform instead of multiples profiles.... so the best you could with one profile optimization and everybody will love it.
Because in this case its much more cost effective and easier to push 120fps with increased hardware power than to create new assets and new engines/rendering techniques to use that power.

AllyITA

It's simple: next gen consoles are way more powerful than current gen systems, but developers struggle to develop true next gen games.
So you have old gen games boosted by next gen consoles, 30fps games becomes 60fps, 60fps games becomes 120fps.
yeah, it's the lazy way of offering something for next gen without changing much of an old gen title

it is actually like buying new hardware for PC, the game is the same, but it runs better

nkarafo

Suddently, console gamers care about smooth frame rates. But all these years i was told only a small minority in GAF cares.

Last edited:

Life

It's a selling point. "NEW" 120 FPS gaming experience - even though PC gamers have been doing it for years and years.

Beats me.

I think it's a combination of developers not having to do much work to hit 120 + needing an extra 'plus' for marketing their last-gen game to a new generation of customers. Now that I think about it, I wonder if it's easier for a developer to go from 60 to 120 than it is to go from 30 to 60?

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who is a NIntendo Fanboy who hates Sony has a friend who is ALSO a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony that is still using a 720p HD Ready TV. Because he says that Nintendo games don't require a TV more than 720P and that Switch games still look great on his existing TV.

Hs said he will only get a new TV when Nintendo has a new console that supports higher resolution.

*The hatred towards Sony of my friend's friend who is also a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony is a little less than my friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony*

Last edited:
Top Bottom