• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is there so many shitty directors and producers in the video game industry?

Being a fanboy of his own game speaks volumes , he gamble like reckless teenagers and put everything in his creation.

Last edited:

cireza

You have to get away from AAA and play other games. Things like Outer Wilds, Catherine, Talos Principle, Steins Gate, NieR Replicant etc... You will get exactly what you are asking for.

Aion002

Because that's what sells more.

People complain about Call of Duty, Fifa, Madden and other stuff, but most still buys them anyway, so S-E and other companies wants to get a piece of that market.

If you want to fix that... Well, you just can't, because there are millions ready to throw money on the next Battlefield or Call of Duty recolor skin dlc.

All we can do is avoid them...

MadPanda

Banned
So we can get copycat games like horizon zero dawn, Marvel's spiderman and ghost of tsushima?

I'm sure nobody has the intention of making a bad game, a poorly designed game etc. Some of the quirks you don't like Probably come from the higher ups in the company, ie publisher.

GrayChild

Gold Member
Because there is only one man in the industry who is perfect:

giphy.gif

TwiztidElf

Is it just me, or is Avengers reaching legendary bad status?
I'm going to have to play it when it's dirt cheap or F2P just so I can say I saw how bad it was with my own eyes.

Rat Rage

And there are very few talented and great ones?

It seems like there are few directors and producers for video game projects that won over the audience.
We have the legendary Masahiro Sakurai, Super Smash Bros. series has tons of extra content that make the game feel like no other. We have additional content such as voice tracks, music sampling, character bios, attention to detail on so many fronts.
Pure legendary vision.
nR6P7vj.png

Then we get a lot of shitty game directors and producers that make the video games they work on pieces of shit like Marvel's Avengers.

Honestly where the fuck is the passion? The game is dry as fuck.
The level design is horrendous. The monetization is shit. The only thing redeeming about the game is the combat (seems like the only team that actually did their work correctly)
The game is missing so many features, it was designed by a businessman who sucked the soul of the Marvel project.
When I think of Marvel I think of AAA quality from Disney. They produce works that gravitate an audience, that attention to detail, that talent

Then we have games where it feels like slimy cash grabs.
I can't help but feel that Marvel Avengers is worse than Star Wars Battlefront 2 when it first launched.
Shaders of characters being sold for $15.

When I think of corporate businesspeople in the video games industry I can't help but think of this slimy fuck who ran Microsoft to the ground.
n6taKBH.jpg

These fuckers might as well sell cigarettes to children, why are you in the games industry and making it worse.
To combat the removal of loot boxes they have gone full FOMO as the next tactic triggering impulse buys and disuading players from playing the game when they missed out on the skin because their paycheck didn't arrive on time.
Slimy motherfuckers.

Completionists cannot be completionists for games anymore. Games don't feel rewarding.
Content is gated by some shit like you have to watch an eSports stream on inconvenient days to unlock a cool-looking skin. It makes the game feel like a chore and most people do not give a fuck about eSports.
Here's looking at another ruined game franchise Gears 5. Fucking cunts.

Honestly, we need more visionaries and people who raise the bar for video games.
We need more James Cameron who raises the bar.

98NN.gif

You know what happens when we get business people heading a project.
We get obvious disasters like these.

I just want more passionate and dedicated directors in the seats of power to make truly fulfilling games for people to enjoy.
Instead, I see subreddits where fans see obvious marketplace exploits.

tnwxpDN.png

Also who the fuck designs some of these costumes, they look fucking ugly as sin. Reminds me of Halom 5 armor pieces looking like shit. Like they hired a fucking intern to work on the game than a talented designer.

A6XmqZj.jpg

I'm glad they are reversing course with Halo Infinite.

I see Black Widows' Stark outfit and it looks fucking terrible.

8fqQDcJ.jpg

Bring back quality in the games industry don't leave it in darkness.

OEA84cE.jpg

tL;DR: We need less business-focused people in the games industry and need more passionate and dedicated game directors in the game industry who actually put quality and attention to detail in the games.

/rant over

You are absolutely on point.

Hideki Kamiya said it right: there are business people and creators. When creators develop/design a game and it becomes successful, it generates money, and money always attracts all kinds of parasites like soulless business and marketing people (like shit attracts flies). Slowly hey start to influence the whole creation process, lowering the overall quality, because their whole goal is to just make money, and in the logic of these people the easiest way of doing so is to focus on the lowest common denominator in the market. I absolutely loathe those people.
This is why AAA games have become so homogeneous and the whole indie games scene (which is the whole opposite of what I have described) has become so popular (together with kickstarter/crowdfundig).

Imagine being a true creator and working for these fucks.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The reality is pretty simple:

Most of the big name Japanese creatives are more than just game designers and directors, they are also producers and business people.
In the west, these roles tend to be more separated with often non-creative types exerting high levels of control as corporate vassals.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think it all has to do with the games length. Movies are on average 2h long, that's what it takes to have an interesting, engaging story from start to finish (unless it's indeed a bad movie of course), everything more than that is unnecessarily stretching it, and exhausting for the viewer, filled with unnecessary threads that most of the time only end as loose ends.

So we move to games now, and the question is, how long can a game really last in order to not to be exhausting, and be really, really interesting from the opening scene to the end credits? Most games are simply too long, forcingly stretched, the directors have to do serious mental gymnastic how to prolong the games, because no one with a sane mind will pay 70€ for just a 3-5h experience. TO1886 is a perfect example here, where everything is wrapped together within just 4-5h, but it was simply way too short for the price, and making just a few hour long games in not that much cheaper than making 12-16h games, hence the publishers cannot afford to sell those short titles for 15-20$, they have to cost what they cost, so we're back to the problem of filling them with 12-16h plot.

And that's why I started to enjoy indie games so much in recent years when it comes to SP games, within couple of hours you're going through a complete, compelling story, nothing is forced, out of place, unfinished etc. and the price is appropriate for such length.

Konnor

If you think governments are corrupt you've seen nothing yet until you're worked for a large corporation. Cliques of morons standing by each other no matter how huge the mistakes, lately pretentious idiots trying to impose their morality and even hiring based on it, bosses hiring their people no matter how incompetent and then throwing competent employees under the bus if things don't go well and so on.

The same applies to large publishers, and it seems even more than usual.

Clap Reaction GIF

Jennifer Lopez Yes GIF by mtv

Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

standing ovation GIF

Kate Winslet Crying GIF by The Academy Awards

Clapping Applause GIF

Agreed, OP. I honestly think we're not seeing the same caliber of passion as we once used to. People seem to be conflating more quantity and purdy graphix with better games.

And, yes, most games seem to be driven by business design rather than untainted genuine creative visions. Most games these days ride on hype and marketing.

This is why Playstation is the best place to play, top directors and producers and guaranteed top notch quality 1st party blockbusters

giphy.gif

Why is there so many shitty directors and producers in the video game industry?​

So we can appreciate the talented ones.

tenor.gif
*dogwhistles*

Hey boys, I heard Jim Ryan calling out for you. His shoes need a new spitshine. He wants you both on the double.

SSfox

There will always be shitty people where there is money.

That being said there is still a lot of great people, producers and directors in gaming industry, just ignore and stop buying from the shitty ones and you'll be fine.

Braag

I actually recently got the Marvel's Avengers from a friend. Played through the campaign. It had it's moments but it was clear they cut a lot of corners and had several missions with small hub areas with respawning enemies and incredibly dull objectives such as "protect this area from the enemy" or "destroy this object while enemies pour in" and only a few proper boss fights though the whole thing, so underwhelming.
After that was over you were left with those same dull hub area missions to replay over and over again in order to gain levels and gear. To call the game soulless would be an understatement. It literally felt like a game which was designed by people in suits looking and numbers on a paper, what games make a lot of money right now and so on.

So I partly agree with you OP. But, more avid gamers usually see from a mile away when a game is designed to only extract as much money from you as possible. Hence why Marvel's Avengers didn't do all that well.

There are still plenty of good AAA games which have heart though, so it's not all gloom and doom.

Myths

Not everyone has excellent discernment and/or judgment in what they’re doing. They don’t study too well the target audience or the underlying contents of the software they’re about to present.

Some have an eye and/mind for design, some don’t. Others just put out software bounded by budgetary and contractual obligations.

I can't think of many movies turned video game that ended up being good. Those are cash grabs where devs are rushed to get a game out before the movie is forgotten and irrelevant.

TheMan

1. Taking a game from an idea scribbled out onto a napkin to an actual product is a looong road made much more difficult by today's expectations of high production values, in-depth gameplay systems, etc. THere are probably many places along the way where even a small mistake can snowball and turn a gem into a turd.

2. The games industry is a business. Like any business they literally only exist to make money. So if they can stuff microtransactions in there (even at the expense of balanced gameplay) then they will do so. They may fail but they will die trying to maximize those returns.

ripeavocado

Banned
And there are very few talented and great ones?

It seems like there are few directors and producers for video game projects that won over the audience.
We have the legendary Masahiro Sakurai, Super Smash Bros. series has tons of extra content that make the game feel like no other. We have additional content such as voice tracks, music sampling, character bios, attention to detail on so many fronts.
Pure legendary vision.
nR6P7vj.png

Then we get a lot of shitty game directors and producers that make the video games they work on pieces of shit like Marvel's Avengers.

Honestly where the fuck is the passion? The game is dry as fuck.
The level design is horrendous. The monetization is shit. The only thing redeeming about the game is the combat (seems like the only team that actually did their work correctly)
The game is missing so many features, it was designed by a businessman who sucked the soul of the Marvel project.
When I think of Marvel I think of AAA quality from Disney. They produce works that gravitate an audience, that attention to detail, that talent

Then we have games where it feels like slimy cash grabs.
I can't help but feel that Marvel Avengers is worse than Star Wars Battlefront 2 when it first launched.
Shaders of characters being sold for $15.

When I think of corporate businesspeople in the video games industry I can't help but think of this slimy fuck who ran Microsoft to the ground.
n6taKBH.jpg

These fuckers might as well sell cigarettes to children, why are you in the games industry and making it worse.
To combat the removal of loot boxes they have gone full FOMO as the next tactic triggering impulse buys and disuading players from playing the game when they missed out on the skin because their paycheck didn't arrive on time.
Slimy motherfuckers.

Completionists cannot be completionists for games anymore. Games don't feel rewarding.
Content is gated by some shit like you have to watch an eSports stream on inconvenient days to unlock a cool-looking skin. It makes the game feel like a chore and most people do not give a fuck about eSports.
Here's looking at another ruined game franchise Gears 5. Fucking cunts.

Honestly, we need more visionaries and people who raise the bar for video games.
We need more James Cameron who raises the bar.

98NN.gif

You know what happens when we get business people heading a project.
We get obvious disasters like these.

I just want more passionate and dedicated directors in the seats of power to make truly fulfilling games for people to enjoy.
Instead, I see subreddits where fans see obvious marketplace exploits.

tnwxpDN.png

Also who the fuck designs some of these costumes, they look fucking ugly as sin. Reminds me of Halom 5 armor pieces looking like shit. Like they hired a fucking intern to work on the game than a talented designer.

A6XmqZj.jpg

I'm glad they are reversing course with Halo Infinite.

I see Black Widows' Stark outfit and it looks fucking terrible.

8fqQDcJ.jpg

Bring back quality in the games industry don't leave it in darkness.

OEA84cE.jpg

tL;DR: We need less business-focused people in the games industry and need more passionate and dedicated game directors in the game industry who actually put quality and attention to detail in the games.

/rant over

Because it’s a creative industry run by corporate people and sustained by nerds.

Passionate and talented people leave after a while.
The narcissist parasites that are in proliferate becasue they don’t give a fuck about anything or anyone but themselves and do whatever corporate asks them to do.
Then you have the nerds that are too spineless or autistic to rebel.

Last edited:
Those who get into games wanted to out of passion.

When it becomes popular, Businessmen start to get into it, without the love and purely for money.

Happened to every single industry going.

You think Avengers is bad. The missus loved her little Disney battle game, until EA came along, bought the company and lubed up the Whales. There's even a term. CAPTAIN EAHAB. 😆😆😆 They recently updated and nerfed a whole bunch of characters causing a large portion of the player base to quit in disgust. Without any compensation.

Want to know what an arse fuck looks like, and this isn't cosmetics, these are pay to win.

UNwxHxv.jpg

Last edited:

-MD-

There's too much content in the world in general, the trick is to navigate through the trash and find the good stuff.

Top Bottom