• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Super Mario the only game with perfect controls consistently?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm playing Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy and I must say I don't like it. This has nothing to do with the controls, but I feel the game concept is very outdated. I know I'd loved it back when it came out on PS1, but I never played it then because I was a Nintendo-only owner (due to money restrictions).

With that said, the game controls badly. There are countless platformers ever since the NES, but it seems like the only franchise that have really nailed the controls, the feel and the accuracy is Mario. Specially with the change to 3D, Nintendo pretty much made Mario control perfectly from their first try doing a 3D game. I love Banjo Kazooie more than Mario, but I won't the deny that the game didn't control very good.

Why is it that until this day, there are many games that don't have movement and precision as good as Mario? It seems as if Nintendo had a patent on making platformers control perfectly, because very few people do it. There are some games that do it very good, but they rely more on cancelling animations, so it doesn't provoke the same feeling of being very precise, or other games that are slow or floaty.

LittleBigPlanet, for example, I loathe that game! I loved every aspect of it, but the moment you start playing with that floaty jumps and movement, is infuriating. I really hope that the new Sackboy Adventure game got rid of that.

What games do you think control as good as a Mario game?
What games do you think they are the worst when it comes to control/movement/precision?

I think it is a mix of what the head of Team Asobi was attributing to artisan like culture and approach to design as well as the fact that Nintendo as a company put their money where their mouth is and actually really prioritises gameplay and character handling.

This means iterating over controls and experimenting a lot and throwing a lot of concepts away, some almost finished ones that might be reworked again later on one day. Most other companies would see it as a waste of money they give their designers less time and less freedom.

I actually can't think of another 3d platformer ... Maybe that's the thing, lack of competition.
idk there were like hundreds of 3D platformers at the time? just from the tip of my mind:
-Jumping Flash
-Crash Bandicoot 1-3
-Spyro the Dragon 1-3
-Banjo Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie
-Donkey Kong 64
-Conker's Bad Fur Day
-Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
-Rayman 2: the Great Escape
-Megaman Legends 1 & 2
-Ape Escape 1 & 2
-40 Winks
-Croc 1 & 2
-Gex 2 & 3
-Blasto!
-Rocket: Robot in Wheels
-Toy Story 2 on PS1 (no, seriously)
and that's just the N64/PS1/Dreamcast generation mind you, and i only named some of the better ones, of course a lot of these didn't age that well but were atleast pretty decent

Last edited:
This question made more sense in the NES and SNES days. There are plenty of other franchises with great controls today - Nioh, Rocket League, Street Fighter, anything Housemarque and 1000 other examples.

Top Bottom